• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

11 years later: What are you doing differently for your HD playthrough?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
I usually choose the sword and give up the wand, but I did it the other way around this time. It's taken a bit of adjusting, learning abilities out of the order I'm used to, but I can't wait to have more spells at my disposal. (Hoorah, +2 MP!) I'm also playing on Proud (hurr durr "KHFMPR") (I have problems with some of the aesthetics, bite me) for added difficulty.

To make things even more difficult, I'm going for the Unchanging Armor trophy… which I hope is self-explanatory.

Also, gummi ships. I've never diddlyed with gummi ships before because I couldn't be arsed. Now, I'm looking to build a pretty spiffy ship by the time I'm through. I'm only about six hours in so I don't have the greatest parts yet, and my current build looks like a rejected gay pride float because I can't customize the colors yet. :c

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This time around I chose the staff and gave up the sword. It has been hard not having the attack boosts I'm used to, usually being able to strong-arm a good portion of the game. I have never used magic as much as I have this playthrough, though, and I'm actually really enjoying it.

Proud mode was the way to go after knowing how the game is on the lower modes, and the challenge is very much welcome. I've seen people complain about how difficult it is, but I feel like challenge is what has been missing in the series for years since KH2. KH3D was close to a return to KH1's difficulty, but it was still pretty easy to just power through. With KHFM on Proud, I feel like I have to be a bit more careful in what I do or I'll get caught in an enemy's attack that will KO me.

I've opted to leave Unchanging Armor, Speedster, and Undefeated for my Beginner run (which I started on my Japanese copy of 1.5, so it gives me more incentive to speed through without touching menus and whatnot) because I want to get as full of an experience in my Proud run as possible. I do plan to beat the bonus bosses on Proud, though...This might be my worst decision.

Lol, I also have to agree with the Gummi Ships. I never messed with them at any point in the last 11 years but to get those Gummi Missions done, I've been playing around with my ship. I never realized how much fun it was to just make a ship. I've got a good idea how I want my ship once I get some more advanced blocks, but right now I really like how my ship is (bar the colors because lol it's a hot mess and I don't want to pay for the paint)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Pretty much everything you just said, Silh. Originally I went with the Sword and gave up the wand. Because I was about 10, and had a thing for pointy swords. I also played on the normal setting because I difficulty made me QQ a lot.

On my current playthrough, however, I'm on Proud, and I went with the Shield, instead of the sword. I guess I also went with the whole "Your Journey starts at Mid-Day" instead of 'Dawn'.

I'm also playing around with customizing my Gummy Ship, after using the default in the past.

Also, I'm not dying all the time now. That's pretty great.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I actually opted for the Shield this time and gave up the Sword (forgive yourself, 10 year-old me). Playing on Proud like I usually do, I have to say that opting for the sword would have been dumb as hell, given how even with the boosted defense of the shield and earlier defensive abilities, I'm still getting my ass kicked.

Also started playing around with the gummi ship for the sole reason that I kept dying before I did. Geppetto Ship all day son

Other than that, I've always tried to complete all the cups, secret bosses, keyholes ,etc, and i'm nearly through with those now.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I'm staring my play through on Proud as opposed to Normal, which I almost always start with with any game and I finally chose the Shield. I forgot which one I gave up, but I've never actually picked the Shield...until now. I was curious how Sora would fight with it, and hey, now I know.

That's about it lol Besides that I 100% my other game so I've tweaked the gummi ships and done all of these things so I can't really do anything different. I mean, I could try doing the trophies (Unchanging Armor, Not getting Continue, etc.) but I plan on doing those things in my Beginner run through anyways and I have never done an EXP Zero challenge in KH and I do not plan too, I get frustrated far too easily I find to risk putting myself through that :(

Gram

Banned
Awards
lol I'm doing quite a bit differently [like dying cause of difficulty for once]. I'm putting more time into my gummi ships and I'm going around gathering and level grinding more as well.
I chose the shield and gave up the sword as I usually do but I soon regretted that after how noticeable the lack of attack power became on this new proud mode so I've ended up learning to work my magic more as a result.

I've actually learned a few things I didn't know before too such as just how useful stop can be on wizard heartless.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I'm actually taking my time with bosses. I used to panic a lot when fighting them, but now I'm just calm and I access the situation a lot. The same with the areas where I can get treasures and they seem so hard to get, I try to figure out how to get there and I end up getting a lot of items I couldn't unless I had high jump or glide.

I try to strategize with the heartless a lot, which is something I never did as a kid. So I usually stop before I continue to an area if I see a Final Mix heartless to try to figure out how to beat it.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Usually choose the sword and give up the shield. This time, I chose staff. Beginning fights had me see my ass handed to me enough times to invent a character arc for Sora around it.

Also putting more time into my gummi ships and doing the missions.

And I keep noticing things I never did in previous playthroughs.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
As what most have said, I found myself investing a significant amount of time in Gummi Ship. The inclusion of missions was a nice touch that made Normal Drive way more interesting than it previously was. But being an uncreative person I am... I just throw in additional blocks to the Kingdom model, and now it looks like a huge chunk of space junk with wings... nothing like it originally was.

Also, knowing how much Sora is nerfed in Final Mix, I've been extensively relying on magic. In the past I always whacked my way through hordes of Heartless, but I think I won't be able to last long that way now. Well, at first I thought I would, but it seems Halloween Town resident Heartless would like to have a word with me. I've been using Spellbinder ever since I first obtained it, switching to Lady Luck only upon learning Trinity Detect.

And Block, Block, Block. Ever since learning Block, I've been using it like there's no tomorrow and relying less on Dodge Roll. I used to spam Dodge Roll in most fights, but Tech Boosts made me switch sides thanks to the sweet tech point multiplier they offer.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
For starters, I'm playing Final Mix on Proud, which is something I would have never been able to do 11 years ago. Beginner mode was really difficult for me when I first tried this game. Now that I'm older and have tons of experience with this series, I'm finding that most areas that gave me hours and hours of trouble, I'm beating on my very first attempt on Proud Mode. It's quite satisfying.

I'm also not playing Re:CoM until I get every trophy in Final Mix. Likewise, I won't watch the 358 movie until I get every trophy in Re:CoM. Because I'm obsessed with these games, I blaze through them. Therefore, this is my way of making it last as long as possible. And trying to get almost every trophy in Final Mix on Proud Mode won't be easy. However, I'm going to try and get the Speedster, Unchanging Armor, and Undeafted all in one playthrough on Beginner. And then I'll beat the game on Normal one last time to get the final trophy.

Knehcs

I'm also not playing Re:CoM until I get every trophy in Final Mix. Likewise, I won't watch the 358 movie until I get every trophy in Re:CoM.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Re:CoM features additional cards after finishing Final Mix and even more after watching the 358/2 Days movie. If this is true, you may be better off playing Re:CoM last? I don't have any sources to confirm this, though.

Edit for OT post: I played the original Kingdom Hearts again a year or so ago via emulator and found myself re-experiencing everything like most of you said above (finally customizing Gummi Ships, for example). When I first played all of those years ago, I chose the sword and gave up the staff and had literally no idea what the "dawn"/"midday"/"night" choices meant.

This time around I've chosen the staff, given up the sword, and chose to begin my journey in the dead of night. I'm enjoying every minute of it, but I've had my ass handed to me far too many times already. The new abilities, textures, cutscenes...well, everything Final Mix-related feel so refreshing. It's like an entirely new game again.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Re:CoM features additional cards after finishing Final Mix and even more after watching the 358/2 Days movie. If this is true, you may be better off playing Re:CoM last? I don't have any sources to confirm this, though.

We wrote an article about the bonus cards you can unlock in Re:CoM by watching Days first.

Unlockable Bonus for clearing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider[/url]

Cataclysm, if you're seeking full completion of Re:CoM, I'd suggest watching Days first. You don't even really have to watch the first time if you want to do it in order. Just skip the scenes (it takes about 5-11 minutes to get through it all) and R1 the Diary, Character Profiles, and Secret Reports, unlock the cards, then after Re:CoM just sit down and do it all properly.

Wave57

Awards
I'm doing pretty much what I did when I replayed KH a couple years ago.
+Shield/-Staff. The difference this time is I picked to travel at night so I don't have to get quite as much exp.
Aiming to get 100% so I can get the full FM experience.

Edit: After I get all of the trophies I might try a lv1 playthrough. I don't think this will work out at all, but I'll try anyways,

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I've always picked the staff and dropped the sword, so that's no different. I like magic, but I believe you should NEVER sacrifice defense for a secondary offensive power, so the shield stays put. Kinda glad I play it like this. And I'm pretty sure my adventure always begins at midday, so even levelling for me. Honestly, tho; I LOVED customizing the Gummi Ship in KH2. KH1 customization is less straightforward, but I've always liked to tinker with it. ANYTHING to make the ride more enjoyable!

But different? Well, for one, I keep ogling the Heartless and rushing into battles at too low a level. I'm playing Proud mode, so I SHOULD be careful, but I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks...wrong! ;3 It's the way I've been playing for a few years now, so I've decided to start doing more observation. Find shortcuts. Explout weaknesses. Complete the game. 7-year-old me didn't get this, so I gave up. But CoM's gba version made me want it in the first place, so I got back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back