• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

1080p Confirmed Yet?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
So far from my limited experience, at least all the video files are 1080p. That includes RE:Coded. Color banding is still there, as it always was.

All the CGI videos are in 720p (directly sourced from the disc). re:coded is in-game graphics so it should be the same resolution as the other two games.

Tetsujin

All the CGI videos are in 720p (directly sourced from the disc). re:coded is in-game graphics so it should be the same resolution as the other two games.

If it's like Days, then the cutscenes aren't in real-time though.

Tetsujin

The cutscenes in Days were all in real-time.

I just said they weren't...

They're pre-rendered video files using the game engine graphics.
They even have obvious video compression artifacts (especially obvious in dark areas on the screen, the Deep Dive scene was the worst offender).

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I just said they weren't...

They're pre-rendered video files using the game engine graphics.
They even have obvious video compression artifacts (especially obvious in dark areas on the screen, the Deep Dive scene was the worst offender).

1.5 is ~19GB. There is absolutely no way they would fit 3 hours of pre-rendered video and 2 games on 20GBs

Tetsujin

To quote myself:

They even have obvious video compression artifacts

Compression is the key here.

Both Days and Re: CoM's cutscenes are noticably softer in look than KH1's realtime scenes and both have artifacts as a result of compression.

Out of curiousity, I would like to know the source of that filesize. If someone is able to take a look at the games' individual sizes and files I'm sure they can confirm that.

Last edited:
Awards
Not saying it's the only option, but probably the most likely. I don't think Square Enix will bother to re-release it for the PS4. There's probably a higher chance we'll see a mobile port in a few years.
I see. But still, I don't think the games would benefit that much from a PS4 release. That being said, you are probably right about them being prepared for future milking, lol. As I mentioned, I think they're just dying for mobiles to become a bit more powerful which is only going to take a couple of years. We might also get a Steam port someday.

Square Enix hasn't really shown love for digital download. Action based games like 1.5, 2.5 BBS, Crisis Core never made it to the PlayStation Store or Steam. Nor has Square Enix specifically mentioned Steam. Also seeing as PC usually doesn't get love from Square Enix in terms of the new Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy games it wouldn't make sense to assume they would now. That seems like more of a personal desire than an informed observation. Also a PS4/Xbox One Release would cater to the market that will be playing KHIII and give them a way to present KH3D.
But if you save the original assets for a game optimised for 30 fps, surely you cannot make it run smoother by having the console duplicate frames? 1 fps and 2 fps would yield the same result if the images were all identical. Thus if 60 fps is based on 30 fps x2, ie duplicate frames, it would essentially still be a 30 fps animation. For the extra fps to matter the frames have to be unique, no?

I may be mistaken but I believe you are confusing FPS in games with that in movies. From my experience, in games a higher FPS means the game will be more responsive. This is especially evident in shooters.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Since we're talking about 1080p, the collections and someone brought into attention a possible release of the HD Remasters on PS4: does anyone think there might be an absolute KH ReMix bundle with both 1.5 & 2.5 with the PS4 (hopefully a white PS4 with the Kingdom Hearts logo drawn in it)?

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
To quote myself:

Compression is the key here.

Both Days and Re: CoM's cutscenes are noticably softer in look than KH1's realtime scenes and both have artifacts as a result of compression.

Out of curiousity, I would like to know the source of that filesize. If someone is able to take a look at the games' individual sizes and files I'm sure they can confirm that.

Wow.. I haven't seen Days yet but I didn't think they could actually have the nerve to pre-render these. Absolutely awful. They did the same mistake with Re:CoM in the PS2 era and now we are paying the price.

And this confirms that Days is basically mp4 files. The bit rate should be abysmal. :frown:

Btw, my EU copy is 20,4GBs.

I can't give definitive answers on the sizes of each game, but I believe KH1 is 6,72 (game 2,10 + 4,62 movies), Re:CoM is 7,47 and Days is 5,95.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Wow.. I haven't seen Days yet but I didn't think they could actually have the nerve to pre-render these. Absolutely awful. They did the same mistake with Re:CoM in the PS2 era and now we are paying the price.

And this confirms that Days is basically mp4 files. The bit rate should be abysmal. :frown:

Btw, my EU copy is 20,4GBs.

I can't give definitive answers on the sizes of each game, but I believe KH1 is 6,72 (game 2,10 + 4,62 movies), Re:CoM is 7,47 and Days is 5,95.

Why wouldn't they pre-render them? It's not like it's really necessary to have all those files on-disc when we can't even play the game.

Those size estimates are about right. Naturally, being PS2 games, they aren't heavy on the disc space.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Why wouldn't they pre-render them? It's not like it's really necessary to have all those files on-disc when we can't even play the game.

Those size estimates are about right. Naturally, being PS2 games, they aren't heavy on the disc space.

Because pre-rendering creates artifacts and it's not like the PS3 can't handle the graphics. They should have kept them in real-time.

Also, unless Square thinks ahead this time, we will be stuck with Days' low quality cutscenes for a long time (the same way we never got HD cutscenes for Re:CoM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back