• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

1080p Confirmed Yet?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yessir_23

Awards
Does anyone know if 2.5 runs at full 1080p? I don't know why it wouldn't, but just wanted confirmation. It was great in 1.5 and with a colourful vibrant game like Kingdom Hearts it makes a big difference over 720p.

Pestilence

Awards
Does anyone know if 2.5 runs at full 1080p? I don't know why it wouldn't, but just wanted confirmation. It was great in 1.5 and with a colourful vibrant game like Kingdom Hearts it makes a big difference over 720p.

1.5 wasn't 1080p.

However it does seem that 2.5 might actually be if some of the screenshots are to be believed. At least KH2FM.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
1.5 wasn't 1080p

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster and most other HD remasters of PS2 games for the PS3 were. But it's not really a big issue. It's higher than 720p for 1.5 (1440x810 to be precise). 1080p wouldn't really make much of a difference for these games anyway. The graphics are quite simple (that's not to say they're not lovely to look at - because they are). Same thing applies to the Tales series, which is yet to go above 720p. KH3 is going to be the first game in the series where 1080p, and probably 60 fps too, is going to feel necessary.

Last edited:

Pestilence

Awards
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster and most other HD remasters of PS2 games for the PS3 were. But it's not really a big issue. It's higher than 720p for 1.5 (1440x810 to be precise). 1080p wouldn't really make much of a difference for these games anyway. The graphics are quite simple (that's not to say they're not lovely to look at - because they are). Same thing applies to the Tales series, which is yet to go above 720p. KH3 is going to be the first game in the series where 1080p, and probably 60 fps too, is going to feel necessary.

Actually 1080p on PS2 remasters were a rarity. The only ones I remember are Okami, Ico, FFX/X-2 and Zone of the Enders (and even that was only after a patch when Konami hired another developer to fix the game).

Remasters mostly were around 720p. Tho to be fair many of the HD collections were fast cash grabs.

Yessir_23

Awards
1.5 wasn't 1080p.

However it does seem that 2.5 might actually be if some of the screenshots are to be believed. At least KH2FM.
Is there a source for this? My TV detects the game as running at 1080p, and it says as much on the back of the box. Certainly, the difference for me is noticeable between 1.5 and other similarly cartoony 720p games like Ni No Kuni.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I expect it will be similar to 1.5 (read below)

Remember that when the collection hit the PS4 ;)

Is there a source for this? My TV detects the game as running at 1080p, and it says as much on the back of the box. Certainly, the difference for me is noticeable between 1.5 and other similarly cartoony 720p games like Ni No Kuni.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD strange screenshot

Internal resolutions (got from Debug PS3):

Okami HD
1366 x 768 @30fps + 2x MSAA / 1280 x 720 @30fps + 4x MSAA

KH1.5HD
1440x810 @30fps + 2x MSAA / 1280 x 720 @30fps + 4x MSAA

There are no PS2 remasters that go over the 768p thing at 60fps, there's just not enough VRAM for such thing. BTW there are not many games that do 1920x1080 on PS3 whether it's @30fps or 60fps, most of the nearest to FULLHD ones are the ones that run at 1440x1080 (anamorphic).

Yessir_23

Awards
That's a shame :/
Not sure why the box art says 1080p though.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

Because it's the image signal you TV receives. It's higher than 720p so the console ups the image output to 1080p. Nearly every game is this way. A lot of PS3 games don't really run in 720p either.

Think of it this way. When you put a DVD on a Blu-ray player and you play it back on your TV, the image your TV will display is in 1080p. It doesn't matter though cause the DVD's native resolution is 480p, it's how the player passes the info to your TV that changes.

Hopefully we'll get 1080p/60fps when the collections hit the PS4.

Tetsujin

Because any resolution that a game is natively rendered in on the console will be scaled to HDTV standards, meaning either 720p or 1080p.

Yessir_23

Awards
Because it's the image signal you TV receives. It's higher than 720p so the console ups the image output to 1080p. Nearly every game is this way. A lot of PS3 games don't really run in 720p either.

Think of it this way. When you put a DVD on a Blu-ray player and you play it back on your TV, the image your TV will display is in 1080p. It doesn't matter though cause the DVD's native resolution is 480p, it's how the player passes the info to your TV that changes.

Hopefully we'll get 1080p/60fps when the collections hit the PS4.
Thanks for the clarification. That explains why I found 1.5 to have a better resolution than most other PS3 games. As for the framerate, an action-orientated game like KH could really use 60fps. You may have noticed that in the 100 Acre Woods minigames in ReCom, the framerate increases considerably. I think it was the same in the PS2 version and looks really good.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Thanks for the clarification. That explains why I found 1.5 to have a better resolution than most other PS3 games. As for the framerate, an action-orientated game like KH could really use 60fps. You may have noticed that in the 100 Acre Woods minigames in ReCom, the framerate increases considerably. I think it was the same in the PS2 version and looks really good.

Yeah I noticed that the first time I played 1.5 and I was extremely surprised cause I didn't expect it at all. Ironically, Re:CoM HD has frame-rate issues at times :p

Hopefully the PS4 versions won't have a locked frame-rate.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
All of the FMVs, pre-rendered videos and 2d textures (e.g. Title Screen,End game screen) are all 720p. This is in 2.5 as well as 1.5

And last I checked from someone that had Debug PS3 checking on resolutions, framerate, and AA for 1.5

It rendered internally to about 720p or 810p with like 2x MSAA. Obviously it's not full 1920x1080p or even anamorphic 1440x1080p. But 720p was basically the standard the generation of PS360, so not surprised.

The remaster is HD, but not Full HD

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Remember that when the collection hit the PS4 ;)

I actually don't think it will, unless they manage to secure a digital only release. But the thing is, even if it did it wouldn't really look any better. Kingdom Hearts has a very simple and clean art style. There aren't any textures left in these games that could benefit from a slight bump in resolution.

As for the framerate, an action-orientated game like KH could really use 60fps. You may have noticed that in the 100 Acre Woods minigames in ReCom, the framerate increases considerably. I think it was the same in the PS2 version and looks really good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that really make a big difference? The games were all animated for 30 fps. They would have to be re-rendered at 60 fps from the original assets to actually benefit from such a bump. So let's say they only saved the stuff they actually used for the actual games and not the original work files, then that would just mean every frame being doubled which in turn wouldn't make the animation any smoother. One could also argue that the games were meant to be played at 30 fps.

All of the FMVs, pre-rendered videos and 2d textures (e.g. Title Screen,End game screen) are all 720p. This is in 2.5 as well as 1.5

The FMV's are actually 480i footage that's been cropped, converted to progressive scan and upscaled to a higher resilution, with lots of restoration work done to make it look "HD". It's the same with the Final Fantasy X/X-2 FMV's. Square Enix don't have the original work files for these FMV's. They're notorious for throwing away their work files once the games have shipped. Just like Capcom (their HD remasters mostly use 480p assets as their source material).

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
True, but I am saying file wise. The resolution of these videos are literally 1280x720 and the title screen texture is like 1024x768

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I actually don't think it will, unless they manage to secure a digital only release.

Why is that the only option?

But the thing is, even if it did it wouldn't really look any better. Kingdom Hearts has a very simple and clean art style. There aren't any textures left in these games that could benefit from a slight bump in resolution.

It does, but it hasn't reached it's maximum potential yet. The game is clearly not 1080p (or higher, for that matter) and the anti-aliasing is pretty bad. It looks great, but it's a far cry from what it could be.

01.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that really make a big difference? The games were all animated for 30 fps. They would have to be re-rendered at 60 fps from the original assets to actually benefit from such a bump. So let's say they only saved the stuff they actually used for the actual games and not the original work files, then that would just mean every frame being doubled which in turn wouldn't make the animation any smoother. One could also argue that the games were meant to be played at 30 fps.

You are confusing CGI movies to video games. If you wanted to raise the frame-rate of a movie -say Toy Story- you would have to have access to the original files and instruct the computer (which would then render the image) to create a frame of animation between each existing frame.

So you'd get something like this.
frame-per-sec_01.jpg

L0112_FrameRates.png

The motions are all the same, they are just much more fluid so you don't have to animate anything. In movies, you have to pre-render and create a video file.

In video games, you are instead instructing the console/PC etc to create these extra frames on the fly. It can be done fairly easily, it just demands approximately double the power from the hardware.

ibmRWa1HHjOnLA.gif

The FMV's are actually 480i footage that's been cropped, converted to progressive scan and upscaled to a higher resilution, with lots of restoration work done to make it look "HD". It's the same with the Final Fantasy X/X-2 FMV's. Square Enix don't have the original work files for these FMV's. They're notorious for throwing away their work files once the games have shipped. Just like Capcom (their HD remasters mostly use 480p assets as their source material).

What exactly Square has done with the CGI is a matter of debate.

I am pretty certain the CGI sequences haven't been upscaled. Nor can you restore SD content to make it look HD without making obvious sacrifices (edge enhancement).

The sequences have differences (in the typography, the infamous missing "e" etc) so on one hand logic dictates that they have access to the original files. On the other, especially the KH2 scenes have severe anti-aliasing and every scene is in 720p (and a low bit-rate, but that could be to save disc space) so it's actually kinda hard to figure out what Square has done.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Why is that the only option?

Not saying it's the only option, but probably the most likely. I don't think Square Enix will bother to re-release it for the PS4. There's probably a higher chance we'll see a mobile port in a few years.

It does, but it hasn't reached it's maximum potential yet. The game is clearly not 1080p (or higher, for that matter) and the anti-aliasing is pretty bad. It looks great, but it's a far cry from what it could be.

Maybe the AA can be improved, but like I said most textures aren't that detailed to begin with. Could the game look better in 1080p? Of course, if you replace many of the textures with better ones. But I'd say the game as it is now more or less looks as good as it possibly can.

You are confusing CGI movies to video games. In video games, you are instead instructing the console/PC etc to create these extra frames on the fly. It can be done fairly easily, it just demands approximately double the power from the hardware.

But if you save the original assets for a game optimised for 30 fps, surely you cannot make it run smoother by having the console duplicate frames? 1 fps and 2 fps would yield the same result if the images were all identical. Thus if 60 fps is based on 30 fps x2, ie duplicate frames, it would essentially still be a 30 fps animation. For the extra fps to matter the frames have to be unique, no?

What exactly Square has done with the CGI is a matter of debate.

I am pretty certain the CGI sequences haven't been upscaled. Nor can you restore SD content to make it look HD without making obvious sacrifices (edge enhancement).

The sequences have differences (in the typography, the infamous missing "e" etc) so on one hand logic dictates that they have access to the original files. On the other, especially the KH2 scenes have severe anti-aliasing and every scene is in 720p (and a low bit-rate, but that could be to save disc space) so it's actually kinda hard to figure out what Square has done.

I guess it depends on what you assume the original files to be. It sure as hell doesn't look like they saved them at 1080p, or even 720p. They've definitely bee cropped, that much we know for certain. But you can see lots of artifacts in the remasters. Especially in scenes that are supposed to use gradients. They sort of have that GIF image feel at times, where the colour doesn't blend smoothly.

We also know for certain that they've had a history of throwing away old assets, perhaps most famously the ones for Final Fantasy VII.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Not saying it's the only option, but probably the most likely. I don't think Square Enix will bother to re-release it for the PS4. There's probably a higher chance we'll see a mobile port in a few years.

Maybe the AA can be improved, but like I said most textures aren't that detailed to begin with. Could the game look better in 1080p? Of course, if you replace many of the textures with better ones. But I'd say the game as it is now more or less looks as good as it possibly can.

They wouldn't need to up the textures, the most obvious problem is the AA and that is what they would fix. The textures they have now would look great in 1080p as well. (btw, I would be extremely surprised if Square hasn't created the new textures in a much higher resolution and kept them for future use).

But if you save the original assets for a game optimised for 30 fps, surely you cannot make it run smoother by having the console duplicate frames? 1 fps and 2 fps would yield the same result if the images were all identical. Thus if 60 fps is based on 30 fps x2, ie duplicate frames, it would essentially still be a 30 fps animation. For the extra fps to matter the frames have to be unique, no?

You are not duplicating the frames though, you are creating new ones. And, again, "original assets" don't have anything to do with it. It's not a movie, it's graphics rendered on the fly. The assets are exactly the same in both cases, you are just using them to create double the amount of visual content.

This is what you are talking about,
dhSoSvl.gif

Duplicating would create a similar effect but it's not "true 60fps" content

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I see. But still, I don't think the games would benefit that much from a PS4 release. That being said, you are probably right about them being prepared for future milking, lol. As I mentioned, I think they're just dying for mobiles to become a bit more powerful which is only going to take a couple of years. We might also get a Steam port someday.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
So far from my limited experience, at least all the video files are 1080p. That includes RE:Coded. Color banding is still there, as it always was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back