• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► 1 year left of school, and then I'm planning on moving. Suggestions?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
This one's gonna need a bit of context. Basically, I was born and raised in New Jersey, but after school, I think I'm ready for something different. My girlfriend lives in Maryland, and she's also interested in finding somewhere different to live because her area isn't exactly great in terms of jobs.

There's one particular company in Denver that I've had my sights set on. It's a small gaming company that specializes in digital tabletop RPGs and card games, and I've been working on my own collectible card game since June with the intent to have both a physical and digital/online version.

Obviously, I'm sure there are many companies that I can set my sights on, but I don't wanna live in New York City or Boston, so there's not really much else on the upper East Coast, since a gaming studio is likely to be in a large city.

I've also been looking at Seattle, Portland Oregon, Los Angeles, etc.

Are these nice places to live? Any other suggestions for an area in the country with a growing gaming industry? (Mind you, this is coming from a very untraveled person who's never explored anything beyond the East Coast.)

Shasta

Awards
I see where you are coming from, as I'm from the lower east side (Mississippi) and there is hardly anything to do in terms of gaming conventions or anything related to gaming in general.

In High School I traveled from coast to coast competing in national band competitions, and continued to follow my fellow band students even after graduation, so I have my share of places I could name. There is one state in particular though, however if you are worried about large cities then I wouldn't advise it. The only place I've actually been in Texas is San Antonio (very very diverse and beautiful place to be, it's a small city with lots to offer). However the location I want to refer to is Austin, Texas. Just recently the University of Texas partnered up with Warren Spector and Paul Sams. They have worked with Duex Ex and World of Warcraft respectively. The partnership consists of a new academy named Denius-Sams Gaming Academy, that should have started its first courses sometime this season if not already. I'm not going into the specifics of what the academy is trying to teach, that should be more or less a given. It should definitely interest you that it will open a lot of doors into the gaming industry, especially in Texas since it is based there. I'd strongly advise you look into it.

I wish you good luck on your last year of college and best wishes to you and your girlfriend!

Edit: I'll actually save you the trouble and link an article. University of Texas at Austin partners with video game executives to create Denius-Sams Gaming Academy | Moody College of Communication

Last edited:

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
That program sounds cool, but it seems like it's specifically for the university students and I'm already gonna be done with school by the time I can move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back