• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

1.5 + 2.5 Proud/Critical Mode Suggestions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
”All of this was decided.”

Sorry. I needed an introduction~ Anyways, loves, with Kingdom Hearts III finally on the horizon and this collection about as patched as we'll see it (unless post-KHIII release we see some patch spurred by the All-in-One bundle), I'll finally be playing through the Final Mix / ReMixes via the 1.5 + 2.5 PS4 bundle. I was fortunate enough to play BBSFM yeeears ago on the PSP, but now I’m excited to play all of the magic in HD. Looking forward to the “new” coat of paint on the series.

I’ve started this thread, because I like hearing what our community thinks. Yes, there’s a plethora of other resources, guides (though I'm taking note of things like print errors) and FAQs out there to turn to, some of which I am utilizing that I’ll link to, but it’s cool to hear your feedback. Feel free to share any tips and tricks that helped you excel during your Proud/Critical playthroughs or anything especially daunting you somehow managed to circumvent (like the new bugs this port generated). I want to hear your stories! <3

”There’s always a way.”

For example, starting at the very beginning of the saga, we’re faced with the age-old crossroads of choosing your weapon/growth pattern. Having played through vanilla KH1 multiple times and loving being a magic user, it’s hard for me to imagine my perfect save giving up those max MP stats that would boost it and the summons.

However, part of me just wants to try something new, this being a fresh take on the series, and I’ve never picked the Dream Shield before, which seems like it’d be more useful than ever for a Final Mix: Proud run! That being said, I’m leaning towards abandoning the sword, because I’d want to retain precious AP. Some particular advantages I’d be looking forward to from the shield is Leaf Bracer at level 27 and Second Chance at 36, especially if I choose a dusk (lowest EXP for 100) growth path! Extra item slots doesn’t really excite me as an advantage, though picking this route may affect my play style and item dependence in a way I can learn to appreciate. One of several drawbacks I’m worried about choosing this route is the aforementioned magic stat loss, especially considering with FM’s “new” Diamond Dust keyblade, one can increase their magic power even further! Also, things like the dalmatian crash due to Jackpot abilities being equipped scare me away from the shield, because I don't want to bother unequipping the ability or checking the contents of a chest before I open it.

In addition, I’m thinking long term. This is a save I’m trying to go completionist on. So I'll be leveling to 100, challenging optional bosses, obtaining trophies where applicable (so no Unchanging Armor).

"This boat runs on happy faces."

Here are some of the interesting resources I may utilize on a case-by-case basis, trying to flesh out my experience:

+ Missables Guide
+ Final Mix Changes
+ Final Mix Treasure Changes

Since I’m making a big ol' event out of this, kindof like I’m also plan on reading the localized novels and manga chapters in tandem to progressing through the worlds/games just for fun and to help me cement how they differentiate. I may even turn to Goldpanner for morsels where no localization is offered (i.e. select BBS chapters). I know it may seem extra, trying to get through the collection like this, but considering a lot of material has yet to be localized and the manga doesn’t cover all the games, I wanted to try it! I’m not doing tedium like grinding for 99 of every item either.

SIDEBAR: Chronologically, it irks me to have to watch all of the events of the Days cinematics/reports before completing Re:CoM to unlock the rewards cards. Does this stipulation carry over into the PS4 port? I know they fixed other things like difficulty trophies stacking for Re:CoM, so perhaps some other changes were made?

Thanks for your input, guys/gals!

Last edited:

Tempo

Awards
Re: 1.5 + 2.5 Proud Mode Suggestions

it does carry over, but you don't have to actually *watch* all the scenes. just hit play and then spam pause + next scene. i believe the only one you have to watch is the very last one, but you can just turn the screen/sound off or leave the room to take a break for a few minutes at that point :p

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

it does carry over, but you don't have to actually *watch* all the scenes. just hit play and then spam pause + next scene. i believe the only one you have to watch is the very last one, but you can just turn the screen/sound off or leave the room to take a break for a few minutes at that point :p

Thanks, Tempo! If I'm able to return to a previously created Re:CoM save before watching the cinematics, then I might just do that around the seventh floor. I think that's when those bonuses start showing up. If I have to create a whole new Re:CoM file then forget it. I'll just "watch" them beforehand. :)

Soldier

Awards

Proud mode? why not critical mode Rydgea, it puts hair on your chest!
As for the old sword, shield or rod? I always choose sword. Yeah you don't get leaf bracer and Lucky strike until very late game, but that doesn't matter when you've got ripple drive. And I would always choose the middle option of even exp throughout.

Some advice? uh alright. Summon Tinkerbell for every fight when you actually get her. She's useful despite the nerf placed on her.

When you get to the mysterious figure on BBS FM, if you decide to go the Terra route, heed my advice. Terra is the EASIEST character for the MF IF you know how to use him. You shouldn't rely on dodging his attacks with his horrible dodge, INSTEAD you should go on the all out offensive. Chaos ripper for the +10 strength and level to at least 75 before taking him on. I suggest using neverland's blobmob to level up. When the fight begins, thunder surge him WHENEVER POSSIBLE, pretend you're trying to physically bring him down yourself. You need to keep applying pressure and harassing him, hoping to get in some flinches on him before things get nuts.

Use the Ice titan to grind for EXP, or just repeatedly go after the rock titan with EXP items equipped.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Proud mode? why not critical mode Rydgea, it puts hair on your chest!

You're right! The title is fixed. Though I did mention Proud/Critical in my post. I think Proud was at the top of my head, because it's the highest difficulty available in the first game, Final Mix: Proud.

As for the old sword, shield or rod? I always choose sword. Yeah you don't get leaf bracer and Lucky strike until very late game, but that doesn't matter when you've got ripple drive. And I would always choose the middle option of even exp throughout.

Some advice? uh alright. Summon Tinkerbell for every fight when you actually get her. She's useful despite the nerf placed on her.

When you get to the mysterious figure on BBS FM, if you decide to go the Terra route, heed my advice. Terra is the EASIEST character for the MF IF you know how to use him. You shouldn't rely on dodging his attacks with his horrible dodge, INSTEAD you should go on the all out offensive. Chaos ripper for the +10 strength and level to at least 75 before taking him on. I suggest using neverland's blobmob to level up. When the fight begins, thunder surge him WHENEVER POSSIBLE, pretend you're trying to physically bring him down yourself. You need to keep applying pressure and harassing him, hoping to get in some flinches on him before things get nuts.

Use the Ice titan to grind for EXP, or just repeatedly go after the rock titan with EXP items equipped.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I remember using some of these in my earlier playthroughs. Yeah, Terra doesn't last with his crappy guard/dodge, so I think I cheesed the surges aggressively. Good to know grinding with the titans is still an effective strategy.

Soldier

Awards

You're right! The title is fixed. Though I did mention Proud/Critical in my post. I think Proud was at the top of my head, because it's the highest difficulty available in the first game, Final Mix: Proud.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I remember using some of these in my earlier playthroughs. Yeah, Terra doesn't last with his crappy guard/dodge, so I think I cheesed the surges aggressively. Good to know grinding with the titans is still an effective strategy.
It's not just effective, its VERY effective. With all 4 exp items equipped you can easily get over 1 million EXP from the ice titan alone.

Also, are you aware of how to get the hidden chests in certain worlds? hollow bastions bubbles can be frozen to become platforms to stand on and Atlantica's sea urchins can be blown up with a few fire spells to provide a short cut and an orichalcum I believe.

You probably already know this, but in wonderland you can push the boulder into the lake in the lotus forest to raise some platforms. The environment in there is ripe with interactivity that its near impossible to condense it all in one go.

You can get the yellow trinity puppy and item in Agrabah's cave of wonders without sealing it if you have high jump and glide. go to where the statue would drop down and jump up to the ledge. Give it a few tries and you can climb up and proceed as normal. Those three puppies allow you to access an award earlier than you usually can.

For the superbosses? you probably already know most of them by this point, but the Unknown in KH is weak to any gravity related attack. But since its so slow and you're so fast how can you nail him? it's simple, get gravity strike from the Hercules cup time trial. Then every finisher you use has a 30% chance to slam down a gravity field on any enemy for free! no mp required. That tactic is very useful if done at the right time.

That's all I've got for my KH playthrough, the only boss that gave me trouble is large Ursula, but I skipped atlantica until after I beat the game in 15 hours and came back with the one winged angel and the strongest shield/rod that you get at the end of the world. It decimated her in about 4 minutes.

For chain of memories, If you're trying to get to level 99 as both characters, GOOD LUCK. That was the most tedious thing I had to do, I even did it before facing both bosses just to secure my victory. Basically, get a ton of almighty darkness cards and equip a lot of mega flares and keyblade cards in the event you get both Donald and goofy. From there, spam mega flare and use the keyblade cards to finish off the any survivors immune to magic (Wizards, red nocturnes, green requiems) If you do get Donald and goofy, use trinity limit, it's guaranteed to wipe out everything (except for the cursed neoshadows when they sink into the floor)

As for Riku, there's not much to his grind. Almighty darkness as always and just slash away. Since he has no magic (unless dark firaga counts) you don't need to worry about immunities. If it gets boring, try to perform a card duel and break their cards. I believe his ultimate attack from it deals IMMENSE damage and has a wide attack range. Do that and their corresponding trophies are yours.

KH 2, these secret bosses are a nightmare if you're not prepared, so heres a little advice for when you get there.
I: for most fights, decisive pumpkin is your best friend. As much as I hate the world you get it from, you NEED that special ability it has. For certain fights that require a lot of damage to be dealt (Vexen and Lexaeus come to mind) its ability can wreck shop.

2:Get good! i'm not kidding this game is a nightmare if you're not prepared. Before you even think of tackling the easiest bosses for this you should max out the forms. For Valor, and limit, try the mushroom in agrabah's treasure room. For wisdom, timeless river's still the way to go. Master involves converting mp orbs into drive orbs and having the wishing lamp's jackpot ability equipped. go to wherever gambler's spawn (I believe mysterious tower's a good place) and engage in a gamble) If done correctly, you should easily receive 300 orbs of experience for each gamble. Suck them until they're dry of orbs and do again till you're maxed out. Final form? just go through the world that never was and kill every nobody you see, no tricks are available.

III: the order of the secret bosses matters, whatever you do, take down sephiroth first. He's easier because of his reaction commands in the fight and the fact that Sora's faster. Plus you can activate limit form alone makes the fight a breeze, you can essentially recreate the original Olympus fight. When he's dead, Fenrir's going to prove useful if you need to hit a secret boss harder. From there, you can take on Axel, Larxene and Vexen but only IF you manage to scrounge up the element armor that reduces the damage of your attacks (example: thundagun trinkets reduce Larxene's gigavolt desperation move's damage by about 55%, firagun definitely helps you survive firetooth's duration for a limited TIME but you're gliding for most of the fight while you search for openings anyways. That's all for now.

Meow Wow

Awards
To add to solidiers tips-

Another great way to level up master form (especially on level 1) is to go to the Cavern of Rememberence. Once you are there go to the second room and hit the blue orbs while in master form. Once you are out of orbs just go to the first room and get killed. After that run back into the second room just rinse and repeat
This strategy has been a lot more effective and faster than using the gamblers in my experience

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Since you're on PS4, you can enjoy the 1 second load times on 2FM for loading the world map and loading into areas. This is an extremely helpful boon when leveling drives, as leaving the world while in a drive form will leave your gauge replenished.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
@ Soldier > Ty so much for taking the time to write up all those helpful tips! I definitely remember specific things like freezing the bubbles in Hollow Bastion, but since I've never played FM before, I still don't know how I'm going to approach Unknown. I'll file Gravity Strike away in my memory.

You see, even if this kind of information is in the 1.5 guide, it's almost hard to distinguish if it's the most intuitive method, because I hadn't even made it out of the Dive Into the Heart section when I read the growth paths erroneously referred to in broad strokes. It listed Dawn as Fast, Midday as Average and Dusk as Slow. When in reality it's an overall slower grind to the top with Dawn. It also requires the most EXP, something that's not even mentioned in the guide afaik. To the casual reader Dawn would seem like the best path, but we know better. :/

This strategy has been a lot more effective and faster than using the gamblers in my experience

Thank you for that, Meow Wow. I specifically remember grinding gamblers when I 'retired' my vanilla KH2, like, 4 years ago. Anything to help the grind! <3

Since you're on PS4, you can enjoy the 1 second load times on 2FM for loading the world map and loading into areas. This is an extremely helpful boon when leveling drives, as leaving the world while in a drive form will leave your gauge replenished.

I can't express how much I'm looking forward to this version of KHII in general. I really hope KH2FM elevates my overall perception of that game, because vanilla was never my favorite. That PS4 enhancement is most welcome. Thanks for the tidbit, dear~

Soldier

Awards
Truth be told I didn't even know about gravity strike until a second playthrough recently, it would've saved me a lot of headache for sure.

If memory serves Dawn is EXP gained up until level 50 is quicker, then anything after that is slower
Midday it evens out, there is no point where EXP is gained in excess
Dusk is slow, you're going to need to reach level 50 fast, because after that you get a ton of exp. So it's basically the inverse of Dawn (late game gives more exp than the beginning)
That's how i remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back