• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

“Aqua...she’s like Sora”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
Mickey: "But Aqua...she’s like Sora.”

Riku: “...WHAAAT?!”

Mickey: “Nonono, strong like Sora!”

Riku: *phew* “Okay”

Was anyone else confused by that exchange? What the hell did Riku think Mickey meant?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I was confused too. Honestly, there are several exchanges in this game that didn’t make much sense to me.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I assumed Riku was terrified Mickey meant "Aqua's a well-meaning idiot, just like Sora!" rather than "strong-hearted like Sora".

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The joke, in a very poorly communicated way, is that Sora is irritating, bombastic, and hard to manage. The idea of Aqua sharing a similar nature is worrying to Riku.

There are lots of jokes at Sora's expense in KH3, and unless they're delivered by a duck named Donald, they don't land. Everyone jokes that he's rash, reckless, and airheaded, but 9/10 times he makes the right call or throws himself in harm's way for the greater good. We only have a few scenes where he's the bonehead everyone seems to think he is all the time.

Sora getting very excited to destroy the computer ("Brilliant!" -summons keyblade-) in Monstropolis, or threatening Mike with his keyblade are moments where these descriptions seem to work. Otherwise? KH3 gives us a more levelheaded Sora than ever. He's got a grip on who he is, doesn't get enraged by his enemies (he seems to like joking at them better), and isn't in a big fat rush to go fight Xehanort. He just seems to love life, which maybe everyone else thinks is childish? He loves snow, he loves sailing and being a captain, urban environments, robots, dancing, gardening... He's a fully fledged person. Maybe Nomura thinks that's silly, but over here in the west, we just see Sora as a more fleshed out character.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, I assumed Riku thought Mickey meant Aqua was like Sora in that he's kinda dumb.
In Japanese, apparently the specific work Mickey used means literally "looks like". Like, the same visual appearance, hence Riku's shock and Mickey correcting himself.

There's not really 1 to 1 english equivalent to that... Maybe, "Aqua and Sora are just alike."

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Riku thought Mickey meant that Aqua was reckless, self-sacrificing, and rushes into things without thinking.

There are a number of jokes that are either word-plays or rely on knowledge of Japanese culture that don't translate well into English like the "I can take it" "Yeah, you can take it!" "Don't say that!" "I was just saying saying what he said..." exchange.

This one kind of is wonky, but not THAT much.

Awards
Yeah, I assumed it was a joke lost in translation and that it was something along the lines of Riku thinking Mickey meant she was a dude.

kaseykockroach

Awards
The joke, in a very poorly communicated way, is that Sora is irritating, bombastic, and hard to manage. The idea of Aqua sharing a similar nature is worrying to Riku.

There are lots of jokes at Sora's expense in KH3, and unless they're delivered by a duck named Donald, they don't land. Everyone jokes that he's rash, reckless, and airheaded, but 9/10 times he makes the right call or throws himself in harm's way for the greater good. We only have a few scenes where he's the bonehead everyone seems to think he is all the time.

Sora getting very excited to destroy the computer ("Brilliant!" -summons keyblade-) in Monstropolis, or threatening Mike with his keyblade are moments where these descriptions seem to work. Otherwise? KH3 gives us a more levelheaded Sora than ever. He's got a grip on who he is, doesn't get enraged by his enemies (he seems to like joking at them better), and isn't in a big fat rush to go fight Xehanort. He just seems to love life, which maybe everyone else thinks is childish? He loves snow, he loves sailing and being a captain, urban environments, robots, dancing, gardening... He's a fully fledged person. Maybe Nomura thinks that's silly, but over here in the west, we just see Sora as a more fleshed out character.

I've mentioned this before, that I kinda enjoy that almost everyone talks down to Sora in this. I prefer that to the "Sora is the messiah and will save us all" approach that I was worried about getting here. I doubt the "make the player feel like the underdog hero" vibe was fully intentional, but I like it all the same. Helps that while Donald teases him, it's more obviously in playful jest than the others and he boosts Sora up when it counts ("You're a whole pint by yourself, Sora!") and any "You can't do anything without us!" jabs are just his way of saying "There is no way in hell, as your foster duck dad, I'm letting you do this alone".

As an aside about Sora with villains, it bugs me that he almost always says "Wait!" as a villain's disappearing into the darkness after their monologue, moreso in KH2 but sometimes here as well.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I've mentioned this before, that I kinda enjoy that almost everyone talks down to Sora in this. I prefer that to the "Sora is the messiah and will save us all" approach that I was worried about getting here. I doubt the "make the player feel like the underdog hero" vibe was fully intentional, but I like it all the same. Helps that while Donald teases him, it's more obviously in playful jest than the others and he boosts Sora up when it counts ("You're a whole pint by yourself, Sora!").

Oh, I don't mind people dogging on Sora at all. The issue is that we don't get to see WHY people are really dogging on him. Dude was two fluent ounces of idiot in DDD and he was barely called out for it at all. Meanwhile in KH3 he's a much more capable hero in all aspects and everyone's like "oh haha Sora you're so dumb".

Don't even get me started on how everyone ends up being a jobber to make Sora look better at the end.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Probably because of past experience like DDD. Sora probably had to work hard to make up for that. ;)
But I don't mind, but I recognize it's just my bias. I never saw Riku as particularly cool, more wannabe cool.
I mean, dude. Sora in KH2 was falling apart and at one point probably thought you were dead. The least you could do was indirectly let him know you're okay. Just makes you come off as an inconsiderate dick otherwise! When Sora just up and says "You're stupid!" in KH1 Neverland, I'm with him there! Manipulated by Maleficent rather easily, kid!

Awards
I thought the joke was great. Like Riku was envisioning Aqua as the kind of person who'd be waiting for Ven to wake up while having a tea party and wearing Groucho glasses. I laughed for two minutes straight.

I thought the joke was great. Like Riku was envisioning Aqua as the kind of person who'd be waiting for Ven to wake up while having a tea party and wearing Groucho glasses. I laughed for two minutes straight.

That was my reaction also...imagine Aqua tumbling into a bunch of heartless or something... I could never see her acting in the manner Sora does at times lol

Back