• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
A
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awards About

• haha, i could tell, but what do you mean by word count? do you man the post count/munny you get from it?
    No, not at all, feel free to ramble (if you were, I didn't really think it was rambling).

I remember hearing about that once and that is what marriage should be, but it's not in the present world. You speak of common law marriage (or that's what it's sounding like to me), which is recognizable, depending on what state you're in at the time.

John Calvin and his Protestant colleagues reformulated Christian marriage by enacting the Marriage Ordinance of Geneva, which imposed "The dual requirements of state registration and church consecration to constitute marriage" for recognition. I blame this guy for the fall of marriage.
    I don't mean for it to sound like an argument. We could agree to disagree? This is one of those things that has been reinforced into my thought process for so long that it's not going to change easy. Am I saying I wouldn't get married if my partner wanted it? No, but what I'm saying it I can get all the legal benefit of marriage and still be in a committed monogamous life-long relationship without being married.
    It really is. As I've said, you don't have to prove you love someone to be married or married to love someone. Yeah, it's ideal to be in love with the person you're marrying, but people fall in and out of love so fast these days that it's a joke. The entire reason you have a ceremony anymore is just because it's what makes the women happy.
    Insurance for what? That the children were taken care of? That you weren't left with nothing? It sounds like a contract (because it is). People in the day (1500's? probably before that) married their daughters off to acquire land and carry on the name (that's why children were married off) and to carry on the family name. In the end it will always come back to children and property.
    It kinda does. You need a marriage license, which is regulated by the government, which in turns makes the laws about how old you have to be to get married, etc. It also gives you custody of any children if something happens to your signification other and allows you to keep property and money as well without it going into probate or being divided (as is the case with a will). Marriage is hardly untouched by the law
    Personally, I like you're point of view better. However, what you're describing still doesn't require marriage. Example, I could be dedicated to you for the rest of my life and us never be married. You're view is keeping it traditional like how it was, I'm taking in the modern day (which it's still possible for true marriage) where it's primary reasons can be covered several different ways and it's just a big celebration and something you can claim on income tax (I have a feeling that statement will come back to bite me later).

I know where you're coming from and I can agree in certain areas of your opinion to a certain extent and I appreciate your input, it's given me something to think about (granted that's probably the last thing I need when I have to be up in ...4 hours to take a Spanish exam...but nonetheless). I just don't believe in the system of marriage (I'm not saying I don't respect marriage) because it's outdated and it's been made into a joke most of the time. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and I haven't skewed my opinion.
    I believe I know what you're defining true marriage is (which is fair enough to say exists because I know people that have been married they way I think you are defining it [ie my parents]). I'm referring to the system of how it works. Marriage (at least on the basis that we know now) was for legal matters, not love. Yeah, love is nice in a marriage but it's not required, it's just a bonus and makes it more likely to stay together if it's true love. Thus I do not believe in marriage (as it is now), granted I'm still young and my opinion may change with time and experience.

What do you consider a true marriage? I'm curious.
    1) Sorry about the "calling my gay" thing, it's two in the morning here and my brain was not adding 2 and 2 to 4...it was more like 2 and 2 is Jesus Fish.

2) The purpose of marriage is easily replaced by a will. Marriage just guaranteed that children were taken care or and that your name was passed on (which you don't need to be married to do) and property (which could easily be passed on with a will to your significant other). It's outdated as far as practical use. That is true marriage, it's a legal basis and has nothing to do with love. Yes people can carry that contract till the end, but very seldom do they.
    1) Sorry about the "calling my gay" thing, it's two in the morning here and my brain was not adding 2 and 2 to 4...it was more like 2 and 2 is Jesus Fish.

2) The purpose of marriage is easily replaced by a will. Marriage just guaranteed that children were taken care or and that your name was passed on (which you don't need to be married to do) and property (which could easily be passed on with a will to your significant other). It's outdated as far as practical use. That is true marriage, it's a legal basis and has nothing to do with love. Yes people can carry that contract till the end, but very seldom do they.
    ? I feel like you just called me gay lol.

No, I just don't believe in marriage because everyone does it on a whim anymore because "I love him/her" and then they get divorced. Marriage has nothing to do with love. Do you have to prove that you love someone to get a marriage license (I kinda want to know how you could prove you love someone)? No and nor do you do to get a marriage license to love someone. At it's basic element (and it's original purpose) marriage is about children and property and is a binding contract and people feel it's okay to abuse that system which turns me off from it.
    Well, it's probably because you have better access to manga than comics. So you've read enough to be able to find the good stuff, but haven't gotten lucky enough with comics, I guess.
    P
    Oh my gosh, I'm soooo happy that we have a new Ven/Aqua fanclub! *squee* Thank you so, so much for putting me as honorary member, and having my essay on the OP! I'm honored!!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back