• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Priss Princess Peckerpunch

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Awards About

• Right. So. EU.

You said you enjoyed the NJO - did you follow the series that came afterwards? The Dark Nest Trilogy isn't amazing, but sets the scene for Legacy of the Force. I'm still very unhappy with the direction they took Jacen in there, but it does get back towards Star Wars roots - more about personal connections than alien threats. That is followed by the current Fate of the Jedi series, which I am really enjoying. It's written by Allston and Denning and some new chick who's doing well so far.

If you haven't read Zahn's old Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), I can definitely recommend those. (Am re-reading them myself right now.) His prequel novel 'Outbound Flight' then explains some of the backstory behind them, and the Hand of Thrawn duology (Spectre of the Past, Vision of the Future) sort of follows on in the future.

If you're at all interested in prequel-era stuff, 'Shatterpoint' is one of the best. I'm a huge fan of Matthew Stover, and his novelisation of Episode III is absolutely worth reading too. The 'Republic Commando' series gets really involved in the clone troopers' lives and their roots in Mandalorian culture, but are a bit more gritty than most Star Wars.

Speaking of Stover, 'Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor' is his latest Star Wars book and while I didn't personally fall in love with it a lot of fans did. It's set back in the classic OT era.

And if you don't mind comic books, the Clone Wars series (collected in nine TPBs now) was great. There are also a bunch of Rogue Squadron comics (collected in three omnmibuses), and the new 'Legacy' comics (not to be confused with Legacy of the Force) that are set about 150 years after the NJO. Legacy starts off a little wobbly but I'm enjoying it now.
    I knew it was you before the user name color and the avatar.
    Just the nick gave you too easily away XD;
    Corran was a bit of a Gary Stu, but not bad at all in the end. My first book was actually The Truce at Bakura, which was a pretty good place to start. I read Zahn's trilogy next, because that was about all there was at the time, and have been buying everything else as it was released in the years since. Used to ring bookstores at least once a fortnight to check when the new Star Wars books were due in, back in the days before Amazon...

Anyway I'm about to go to bed, it's almost 1am over here and I haven't been sleeping anywhere near enough lately.
    So uh, we need to discuss boss character for this weekend so that I can get started on him soonish. j00 on msn/junez?
    I got into the EU when I was about 8 years old, so it's always been just as much a part of Star Wars to me as the films. I just have a selective memory when it comes to travesties like The Crystal Star. The X-Wing series is definitely one of my favourites, and despite how dark it was I really enjoyed Jacen Solo's story arc from the NJO through to LotF. Traitor is my favourite EU novel ever (followed by Starfighters of Adumar).

But yeah, I'm good, how're you?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back