• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Famitsu interviews Nomura on Kingdom Hearts 4 and Missing-Link

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
-- If the field is linked to the real world, does that mean we won't see any Disney worlds in the game? Nomura: We're experimenting with a variety of things, but depending on the timing, the terrain and atmosphere will be partially based on Disney world motifs.
This is an odd question considering that Kingdom of Corona is clearly in the trailer.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I was going to say earlier… I thought reaction commands went away to begin with due to fans complaining about KH2. And now they’re back for the same reason.

I would like them more if they’re just God of War 2018 and Spider-Man PS4 style QTEs that are more one-time per battle events that lead to some kind of transition in the battle. That’s more or less what we got in Re:Mind with the Guardians vs the Xehanort clones.

They could be tied to situation commands like Grand Magic where if you trigger something like that, you have to clear a reaction command to successfully pull off the special move. Essentially, I just don’t want them to be a random “Spam Triangle to win” option.

At the very least, they should have them mapped to more than one button and should require precise timing where you’re punished if you try to spam it (with an accessibility feature that can enabled of course.)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I was going to say earlier… I thought reaction commands went away to begin with due to fans complaining about KH2. And now they’re back for the same reason.
Yeah, it's bonkers. I'm honestly getting a bit wary after hearing of these recent incidents where they've been swayed by the fans. Can't help but feel that they're listening to people they shouldn't.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I was so excited to re-visit Atlantica in KH2 and when I saw it was a musical world, I was upset. I mean I liked that Under The Sea and Part of Your World were used, but there should have been fighting segments.

The reaction commands coming back may not be so bad. If he includes from the start of the game the feature that came with ReMIND to disable certain things, then I wouldn't mind reaction commands. I didn't care for the attractions in KH3 and didn't like them building up all the time, so every time I play KH3 I disable them.
I hope you're right that they can be disabled... They were largely not optional in KH2. At least you can ignore the rides in 3.

I wish someone would ask him why he's never brought trinities or tech points back, instead of horrible things like RCs.

NoWay

Awards
I’d really welcome the RC during Nobody fights, but generally I prefer KH3’s gameplay

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I hope you're right that they can be disabled... They were largely not optional in KH2. At least you can ignore the rides in 3.

I wish someone would ask him why he's never brought trinities or tech points back, instead of horrible things like RCs.
Trinities is pretty easy to figure out. The KH2 worlds DO NOT have the depth that the KH1 worlds had. Also, you can swap party members right there on the field, so making the journey to a trinity using the original team isn't that difficult to do.

I think the whole fighting system will have to change to bring back tech points and by that I mean it will have to slow down and be more grounded, which I definitely don't see Nomura going back to.

I do wish he would find a way to bring trinities back or include areas that we can see, but cannot access yet, so that we would have to revisit.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Yeah, it's bonkers. I'm honestly getting a bit wary after hearing of these recent incidents where they've been swayed by the fans. Can't help but feel that they're listening to people they shouldn't.
They either have a (bad) focal/focus group, or they're doing bad Q&A/polling/queries

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They either have a (bad) focal/focus group, or they're doing bad Q&A/polling/queries
I've also been wondering if they're accidentally being fed inaccurate info. Whenever Nomura talks about things he's told by overseas staff, it doesn't seem to line up with what we actually see as members of the community?

Take for example, fans referring to Nomura as "papa." While he is regarded as the father of Kingdom Hearts, few actually call him such, and even when they do, it's usually uh... not in the context he's thinking about >.> Some fans did start calling him "papa" after that interview came out, but they quickly dropped it and went back to the usual "Lord Nomura."

Last edited:

Elysium

Awards
Trinities is pretty easy to figure out. The KH2 worlds DO NOT have the depth that the KH1 worlds had. Also, you can swap party members right there on the field, so making the journey to a trinity using the original team isn't that difficult to do.
Having to come back with certain party members isn't really why trinities are satisfying in 1. They function similar to the Puzzle Pieces that were added to Final Mix to make the worlds in that game feel less barren. I mean, imagine trying to find Trinities hidden away in the massive worlds of 3's The Caribbean or 3D's Traverse Town or Blue and White Trinities in 3's Arendelle (where almost everything is blue and white). It's a reward for exploration on top of giving you items and adding to the feeling of progress (being able to open a new level of Trinities as the game goes along). So I don't think being able to simply switch party members from the command menu changes much. Since he brought back so many things in 3 to add to the nostalgia--from forgotten CoM characters like Larxene, Marluxia, Repliku, and Vexen to Shotlock, etc. etc.--no idea why he didn't bring those back, especially since he was way more focused on trios in later KH installments than he ever was in 1, and also with 3 being, well, a 3 (trinity) and all.

I don't think tech points would require combat to slow down, but simply making some behaviors in some Heartless that are more predictable in their timing again or offering more choices to the player. I mean, for example, Large Body does the body slide thing that they added to its abilities 2-onwards--hitting it in the face at just the right spot to stop its slide rather than running away or using a Reaction Command could give a tech point. The lady Heartless in Arendelle--potentially stopping their laserbeams if you hit the tip of the umbrella right as the attack's about to start, giving you a tech point. Stuff like that.

Last edited:
Awards
I've also been wondering if they're accidentally being fed inaccurate info. Whenever Nomura talks about things he's told by overseas staff, it doesn't seem to line up with what we actually see as members of the community?

Take for example, fans referring to Nomura as "papa." While he is regarded as the father of Kingdom Hearts, few actually call him such, and even when they do, it's usually uh... not in the context he's thinking about >.> Some fans did start calling him "papa" after that interview came out, but they quickly dropped it and went back to the usual "Lord Nomura."
I doubt Nomura even knows about the rep he's gained overseas where he's seen as someone mostly very different.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I doubt Nomura even knows about the rep he's gained overseas where he's seen as someone mostly very different.
Oh, I don't doubt that. But if he's being relayed info and told that it's an accurate representation of how overseas fans feel, then there's an obvious disconnect and miscommunication happening. I'm more concerned about that than him browsing Japanese posts on social media from select bubbles.

Chie

Awards
This is an odd question considering that Kingdom of Corona is clearly in the trailer.
I guess the implication is that it's not actually the Kingdom of Corona in-story and it's just callback assets for a battle mission to give some variety. That's fine with me, since having projections of Disney worlds from the far future in X/UX was very arbitrary and none of the events in them actually mattered. Now everything that appears in Missing Link will be stuff that is actually happening in Missing Link; if that precludes Disney worlds, so be it.

Violet Pluto

Awards
Honestly, I don't quite know where Nomura got the idea that the fanbase wanted reaction commands back. People seemed overjoyed to see them gone. I don't think I really saw this sentiment anywhere on major western gaming forums, Reddit, or on social media, so I wonder if this was exclusively from Japanese fans?
WHAT!? I've been on several sites where the one of their major problems with KH3 was that there were no RCs. I don't know how this is so split.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
WHAT!? I've been on several sites where the one of their major problems with KH3 was that there were no RCs. I don't know how this is so split.
Well we've had 10+ years of anti-RC suddenly drowned out and ignored by pro-RC in this post-KH3 era, not unlike how people's memories of vanilla KH2 were overwritten when 2FM was made available in the west.

It's revisionist history by a vocal minority with a history of flip-flopping.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Well we've had 10+ years of anti-RC suddenly drowned out and ignored by pro-RC in this post-KH3 era, not unlike how people's memories of vanilla KH2 were overwritten when 2FM was made available in the west.

It's revisionist history by a vocal minority with a history of flip-flopping.
I’m not sure about this take.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a conversation with somebody about KH2 that didn’t somehow end with us talking about the coolest reaction commands.

Speaking personally, when I was younger I remember going onto forums to complain about reaction commands because I knew I wasn’t supposed to like QTEs, but outside those hardcore gaming circles I just don’t think the disdain is there. You can find plenty of random first time players on YouTube nowadays too, and they seem to tend to like the simple spectacle the system offers.

Can’t say I understand how people‘s memories of KH2 were overwritten by 2FM either. People seemed to like KH2 just fine in the eight years they waited to get a chance to play 2FM, if they even played it at all. The game is a staple in talks about the best PS2 games. If KH3‘s discourse proves anything, it’s that KH2 has always been beloved by many.

I think it’s easy to forget that spaces like this site, discord chats, and resetera are small bubbles in a much larger gaming community, and opinions stated in these spaces don’t always align with the larger community (whose opinions, naturally, very considerably).

I’d argue we are the minority and I certainly don’t feel comfortable generalizing the majority as being flip-floppers, especially because opinions can evolve over time.

Anyways, I hope the team can use reaction commands in an interesting way in KH4. I think the system is a bit lame when used as just a QTE, but when it is used instead to easily facilitate unique contextual actions it can create cool combat scenarios.

I think it would be a shame if KH4 turned out to be KH2-2 because the team felt like they had to. Thankfully, I don’t get that impression from the trailer at all though.

I’m very curious about what “scrap and build” will be.

Elysium

Awards
The truth is a lot of people usually love the first game they played the most (I'm no exception), probably because the first experience is the one you come into with the least preconceptions and it forms your basis for judging the games you play next. For many, the first was KH2. And for the newest, youngest fans right now, it was KH3. For the older players like me, it was KH1. I feel like each of them practically constitutes a different generation of KH fans, and I'm willing to bet you can track most fans' likes / dislikes about the series pretty well based off of which game they started with.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Having to come back with certain party members isn't really why trinities are satisfying in 1. They function similar to the Puzzle Pieces that were added to Final Mix to make the worlds in that game feel less barren. I mean, imagine trying to find Trinities hidden away in the massive worlds of 3's The Caribbean or 3D's Traverse Town or Blue and White Trinities in 3's Arendelle (where almost everything is blue and white). It's a reward for exploration on top of giving you items and adding to the feeling of progress (being able to open a new level of Trinities as the game goes along). So I don't think being able to simply switch party members from the command menu changes much. Since he brought back so many things in 3 to add to the nostalgia--from forgotten CoM characters like Larxene, Marluxia, Repliku, and Vexen to Shotlock, etc. etc.--no idea why he didn't bring those back, especially since he was way more focused on trios in later KH installments than he ever was in 1, and also with 3 being, well, a 3 (trinity) and all.

I don't think tech points would require combat to slow down, but simply making some behaviors in some Heartless that are more predictable in their timing again or offering more choices to the player. I mean, for example, Large Body does the body slide thing that they added to its abilities 2-onwards--hitting it in the face at just the right spot to stop its slide rather than running away or using a Reaction Command could give a tech point. The lady Heartless in Arendelle--potentially stopping their laserbeams if you hit the tip of the umbrella right as the attack's about to start, giving you a tech point. Stuff like that.
The Hidden Mickeys were basically the replacement trinities in KH3. I think with the vastness of the worlds in KH3, the hidden Mickeys worked better because they were larger part of the scenery that you can find more easily that a small trinity logo. I think the trinities worked in KH1 because the world design in KH1 was smaller, but also the worlds were designed way better that there were parts that you would definitely see the trinity or have to come back to later (like the ones in Traverse Town).

I'm sure that they could have been incorporated in KH3, especially with the size of those worlds, but I feel like the trinities wouldn't have been as much fun as they were in KH1. Like seeing the white trinity and wondering what is this, then coming back later in the game and unlocking something was a great feeling. The vastness of KH3 worlds would make them easily missed and maybe even a chore to find - compared to the larger Hidden Mickeys that are incorporated into the scenery.

I think ultimately what we're both looking forward to - which KH1 and KH3 did better than KH2 - is better use of the DISNEY worlds and a reason to revisit them. The only reason people went back to DISNEY worlds in KH2 was to grind synthesis items. I was hoping that each DISNEY world would get a side quest after you beat the game, where it's text-only (or now that everything is voiced) cutscenes where the DISNEY characters ask you to go do something or look for something. Just a little quest and maybe a mini-boss for a reward, about an hour to complete. For example, in The Caribbean you can talk to Elizabeth who tells you that she saw smoke coming from one of the islands at sea and there was a strange flash of light, suggesting you go investigate. You go on the ship and look for the island (the map does NOT tell you which island it is). The heartless that attack are stronger this time around and that secret Ghost Ship with nobodies will attack you. When you find the island, it's the Strahl that crashed. Fran and Balthier assume the worst and you get a boss fight with them. After you beat them, they explain the situation and ask for your help. The white crabs are able to help them (somehow) so when you collect enough, it fixes their ship and they leave. I hope Nomura does something like that with each DISNEY world moving forward.

Back