• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHUX ► Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance will forever be changed by the finale of Kingdom Hearts Union χ[Cross]

• Thread starter Deleted member 235902
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 235902

The entire experience of playing KHDDD will now forever be different due to the reveal about Dream Eaters in the finale of KHUχ. I'll never be able to look at Dream Eaters the same way again. And I love that.

We literally collect dead/"sleeping" children like they're Pokémon. That's dark as hell. I guess we now know why they're called "Spirits."

Instead of seeing them as cuddly and cute animal creatures, I now look at them with sorrow. These were our friends and companions. Our fellow Dandelions. It makes so much more sense now why we see a scene of Ventus smiling at the end of KHDDD when Sora goes back to the realm of sleep to greet his Dream Eaters. And why one of the most prominent things Ventus remembers from his long time in Sora's heart is seeing "weird animal creatures."

I don't even want to think about what the Dream Pieces from KHDDD implies. Collecting and putting together pieces of dead kids? Kingdom Hearts really went there.

And when your Dream Eater loses all of its health in KHDDD, it'll permanently die unless you quickly run up to it and save it. Pain. Just pain.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that the Spirit Dream Eaters aren't just the sleeping hearts of the wielders. They are the sleeping hearts of the wielders formed together with their Chirithys. Their Chirithys form together with their sleeping hearts to protect and watch over them. It can sort of be seen as the Chirithys turning into protective shells over the hearts. And that's what Spirit Dream Eaters are. Chirithys and the sleeping hearts of the Dandelions merged into one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lulcy

Awards
Only if you look at 3D within the franchise as a whole but, when looking at the context and narrative of 3D itself nothing changed.

D

Deleted member 235902

So then nightmares are humans that fell to the dark? what then is a nightmar echirithiy

We are actually never told that all Spirit Dream Eaters can become Nightmare Dream Eaters. We only really know that Chirithys can become Nightmares AKA the Nightmare Chirithy we saw in the original KHχ.

In χ Back Cover, The Master of Masters says that if Spirits get consumed by malice/darkness, they turn dark and become a Nightmare, but he was only talking about the Chirithys in that moment. And Chirithys were the only Dream Eaters that existed at that time.

I have a theory as to where all the Nightmare Dream Eaters we see and fight in KHDDD came from.

"See you in another dream." Dark Chirithy said this way back in the original KHχ. And we all assumed he was talking about seeing us again in KHUχ because we were brought to the Unchained realm AKA "a world made of dreams." We all waited for Dark Chirithy to show up in KHUχ, but he never did. And we learned that we didn't go to "a world made of dreams," we went to data worlds. But now, at long last, the Dandelions have finally gone to "a world made of dreams." Because their hearts are now sleeping and they are now Spirit Dream Eaters due to forming together with their Chirithys. And now that the Dandelions are in a world made of dreams, Dark Chirithy can still fulfill his promise of returning in another dream. And the way that he returns is in the form of Nightmare Dream Eaters.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The Dream Eater reveal imo is one of the best changes/reveals the series has done yet. It gives the Dream Eaters a new purpose and not just another enemy variant type. This makes the "Rise of the Union" scene in KH3 even more impactful. Because we saw Sora go back to greet his Dream Eater friends at the end of DDD. And at the Keyblade Graveyard when Sora's riding the Keyblades of fallen wielders, you could actually say now that they are truly his friends in another form.

I may not like all the changes that happens in the lore of the series, but this one has to be among one of my new favorite twist reveals. I applaud unique choice they did here. Dream Eaters have to return in future games now and I'm all for it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Did you really need to post this across multiple subreddits AND forums?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm still struggling to properly wrap my head around this. If the spirits are the former Keywielders from the Dandelions, why did Sora have to craft them with sleep material? Are the Nightmare Dreameaters the Union members that didn't join the Dandelions or are they actually native to the Realm of Sleep?

D

Deleted member 235902

Did you really need to post this across multiple subreddits AND forums?

Why not? Not everyone visits the same forums.

I'm still struggling to properly wrap my head around this. If the spirits are the former Keywielders from the Dandelions, why did Sora have to craft them with sleep material? Are the Nightmare Dreameaters the Union members that didn't join the Dandelions or are they actually native to the Realm of Sleep?

We actually currently have no reason to believe that Spirit Dream Eaters other than Chirithys can turn into Nightmare Dream Eaters.

In χ Back Cover, The Master of Masters says that if Spirits get consumed by malice/darkness, they turn dark and become a Nightmare, but he was only talking about the Chirithys in that moment. And Chirithys were the only Dream Eaters that existed at that time.

It's currently unknown where all the Nightmare Dream Eaters we see and fight in KHDDD come from/how they are made. I have a theory though.

"See you in another dream." Dark Chirithy said this way back in the original KHχ. And we all assumed he was talking about seeing us again in KHUχ because we were brought to the Unchained realm AKA "a world made of dreams." We all waited for Dark Chirithy to show up in KHUχ, but he never did. And we learned that we didn't go to "a world made of dreams," we went to data worlds. But now, at long last, the Dandelions have finally gone to "a world made of dreams." Because their hearts are now sleeping and they are now Spirit Dream Eaters due to forming together with their Chirithys. And now that the Dandelions are in a world made of dreams, Dark Chirithy can still fulfill his promise of returning in another dream. And the way that he returns is in the form of Nightmare Dream Eaters.

As for the Dream Pieces we collect in KHDDD, those drop from Nightmares we destroy, so I guess Spirit Dream Eaters can also just be created by combining pieces of Nightmare Dream Eaters. These ones we create wouldn't have the hearts of the Dandelions within them. Or would they? Currently unknown at this point I guess.

D

Deleted member 235902

Only if you look at 3D within the franchise as a whole but, when looking at the context and narrative of 3D itself nothing changed.

Well, yeah. That's exactly what I mean. If you're experiencing KHDDD for the first time without any knowledge of KHUχ, then of course nothing about it will have changed. However, if you have knowledge of KHUχ and have played KHDDD before and go back to play KHDDD, then it has forever been changed with the new context we have.

AegisXIII

Awards
This is a good thing because I personally think that 3D brings concepts that were never fully exploited. Like what is the relation between dreams and time travel, what are dream eaters, why are dream eaters a summon in kh3 if he is not in the sleeping realm? All these questions might finally find an answer soon.

D

Deleted member 235902

This is a good thing because I personally think that 3D brings concepts that were never fully exploited. Like what is the relation between dreams and time travel, what are dream eaters, why are dream eaters a summon in kh3 if he is not in the sleeping realm? All these questions might finally find an answer soon.

Dream Eaters can exist outside of the realm of sleep. They first existed outside of the realm of sleep in the form of Chirithys. The Chirithys then became the Spirit Dream Eaters in order to protect the sleeping hearts of their respective Dandelions within them and then entered the realm of sleep.

And at the end of KHDDD, when Riku is back in the real world and is in The World That Never Was, he still has his Dream Eaters with him. This is because Sora was still sleeping, so he still had that weird Dream Eater connection to him.

JOTAINSIDER

Awards
The entire experience of playing KHDDD will now forever be different due to the reveal about Dream Eaters in the finale of KHUχ. I'll never be able to look at Dream Eaters the same way again. And I love that.

We literally collect dead/"sleeping" children like they're Pokémon. That's dark as hell. I guess we now know why they're called "Spirits."

Instead of seeing them as cuddly and cute animal creatures, I now look at them with sorrow. These were our friends and companions. Our fellow Dandelions. It makes so much more sense now why we see a scene of Ventus smiling at the end of KHDDD when Sora goes back to the realm of sleep to greet his Dream Eaters. And why one of the most prominent things Ventus remembers from his long time in Sora's heart is seeing "weird animal creatures."

I don't even want to think about what the Dream Pieces from KHDDD implies. Collecting and putting together pieces of dead kids? Kingdom Hearts really went there.

And when your Dream Eater loses all of its health in KHDDD, it'll permanently die unless you quickly run up to it and save it. Pain. Just pain.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that the Spirit Dream Eaters aren't just the sleeping hearts of the wielders. They are the sleeping hearts of the wielders formed together with their Chirithys. Their Chirithys form together with their sleeping hearts to protect and watch over them. It can sort of be seen as the Chirithys turning into protective shells over the hearts. And that's what Spirit Dream Eaters are. Chirithys and the sleeping hearts of the Dandelions merged into one.
Ey there salutes, why do you say is dark? Its good, even awesome, the Dandelions are alive. And so Spirits now we know what they are.

(Dark woukd be the Dandelions lost for sure) Because Nightmares? There will be an explanation about it for sure, Wielders coming to darkness while in the sleep state is not possible, so maybe Nightmares are darkness (like they are heartless) but in sleep realm?

D

Deleted member 235902

Ey there salutes, why do you say is dark? Its good, even awesome, the Dandelions are alive. And so Spirits now we know what they are.

(Dark woukd be the Dandelions lost for sure) Because Nightmares? There will be an explanation about it for sure, Wielders coming to darkness while in the sleep state is not possible, so maybe Nightmares are darkness (like they are heartless) but in sleep realm?

Disembodied hearts of children is dark whether they eventually get saved or not.

Awards
I agree, the finale of Union X really sucker punched us and gave us a different perspective on not just DDD, but the rest of the series as a whole! I love the revelation of the Spirits actually being the hearts of the Dandelions fused with their Chirithies! I find it amazing and sad! I wonder if this means that if they fall to darkness, they become Nightmares? But the thing I'm even more curious about is the Anti-Black Coat Nightmare! We never really figured out what that thing was! Could that have been a Dandelion that came close to regaining their heart from the clutches of death but was unable to fully awaken? Because that would explain it still being a Dream Eater while having a more humanoid form! I'm rambling at this point, but it's a curious thought to think! X3

Back