• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH references and cameos in other media?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
Have you ever spotted a sneaky cameo or explicit reference to Kingdom Hearts in films, TV, comics, etc?

They’re pretty rare, in my experience, but I have seen at least one, in The Big Bang Theory, of all places!

In the season 4 episode “The Justice League Recombination”, when the gang are at the comic book store, Penny’s himbo boyfriend Zack decides to grab a couple of Archie Comics, to the embarrassment of Sheldon and the others. On the back of one of the issues he picks up is none other than an ad for 358/2 Days!

<This is where the screenshot of the moment in question would go, but I cannot find one online nor can I find an upload of the clip to take a snapshot of>

Side note: Archie Comics did, indeed, run ads for 358/2 Days on their back covers back in the day.

palizinhas

Awards
Not sure it counts cause it's a Disney thing, but one that comes to mind is that in the s1 finale of DuckTales 2017, Beakley makes Scrooge's favorite dessert, and it uses sea salt ice cream, a reference to KH Scrooge loving it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The Simpsons Game (2007) had 2 refferences in it's let's-mock-everything-we-know-about-Japan stage:

1. Staues of the family dog made to look like Amaterasu from Okami, holding a keyblade in his mouth (with Scratchy's head replacing the mickey symbol)

2. Comic Book Guy as a sumo wrestler enemy will sometimes say "Every light must, every heart return to darkness".

okhi12

Awards
I was a Bleach fan back then and I noticed a Bleach poster in the wall in that episode (it's very easy to see) but I had no idea of the KH add!
Final Fantasy references are common in media, but KH ones are indeed very rare.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
We had a thread on this a couple of years ago. There’s not much out there, unfortunately :(.

There was a soldier heartless in a TV show back in 2018

Here’s the big bang theory reference

images

And that Ducktales reference definitely counts. The show runner went on the record saying that there was a KH reference.

Some Nick show had the crown symbol

DcznMKlVwAEHfM7

Soldier

Awards
Ah yes, American Housewife. The show that took potshots at Newport like it was a shooting gallery.

In one issue of GameInformer (yes, I read that sometimes) a tiny figure of Sora can be seen on the front cover alongside other notable heroes like Cloud and Mario. IIrc KH II ranked 25 in their issue covering 75 of the best games of all time.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
There's a keyblade in Terraria called "Keybrand"

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
There's a keyblade in Terraria called "Keybrand"
Castle Crashers has a "keysword": https://castlecrashers.fandom.com/wiki/Key_Sword

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The most obvious one I can think of was in Rooster Teeth's Red Vs. Blue where one of the Blue guys gets a sword that's also a key.

2 quid is good

Awards
Yugioh has recently gotten a new archetype where the art and flavour texts seems to strongly reference KH

AR829038

Awards
I recall there being a very small maybe-reference in Toy Story 4 in the form of a little key-shaped keychain, which would be especially noteworthy since KH3 is supposed to be somehow canon with the Toy Story movies (although I'm not sure they actually are and I think John Lasseter or whoever said that may have been talking out of their ass).
It's always funny how bonkers we get whenever we see a reference to KH in other media. Even though KH3 was the best selling game of 2019, we're all still in that stage we were back in the early 2000's where even the slightest nod of acknowledgment makes us lose our shit. I believe KH is going to be referenced more and more often with how popular the series is becoming, but it's just funny to think we're still at that point where we're just hungering for other franchises to acknowledge our existence. KH isn't just Final Fantasy's little brother anymore! We exist! Our fandom grows stronger with each passing moon!

Awards
Yeeeaaaahhhh there's barely any legit references out there.

Hell you're more likely to find someone saying [insert thing here] is a KH reference/cameo only for it to be a bust. Hell, the crown showing up on a Nick Jr. show is definitely unintentional.

The Yu-Gi-Oh one is definitely a reference tho.

Back