• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Two differences I'd like to point out

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Form Oblivion

Awards
Hello Everyone,

There are many differences in the Japanese and the English localization, and sometimes big differences. There are two certain ones I'd like to point out, because fans have been wondering and theorizing about them for a while...for instance, fans wondering when they'll see Luxord in Union χ[Cross] (it's such a PAIN to see that, at least for me).

They're both in Kingdom Hearts III:

1). The 'Ancient Keyblade Legacy'

In the English localization, Xemnas says:
You four are going to reveal your greatest secret: the ancient Keyblade legacy that slumbers within you.
The Japanese is:
この4名の中にいる古のキーブレード使いを探すためだ
...You can already tell that that is WAY too short to contain what was in the localization. Anyway, it translates to:
It was to look for (an) ancient Keyblade wielder(s) among you four.
This is super different but it still makes sense in a way. Kinda.

2). Sora's 'reward'
In the English localization, Xigbar says:
In fact, your reward might be right around the corner.

[Later]:

Sora: ...What reward?
The Japanese translates to:
The finish line might be surprisingly closer than you think.

[Later]:

Sora: My destiny?
I'm super duper curious if there's actually a 'reward'.

Translations: nanakibh

Well, anyway, just thought I'd share this. :)

edit: I changed it from 'mistranslation' to 'difference' because the localization may actually not be wrong in the future. Who knows.

Last edited:

RonaldPoe

Awards
Thanks for clarifying about the "Ancient Keyblade Legacy" line. While it does sound like a reference to the events of Union X, it always seemed a little odd coming from Xemnas. Isn't Luxord's somebody the one driving the car for Yozora in the Quadratum? Also Demyx's actual origins and role are completely unknown. The actual translation makes a lot more sense.

AegisXIII

Awards
Indeed that's very interesting.
Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't play the games in french to see if the translation is better at some points.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Indeed that's very interesting.
Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't play the games in french to see if the translation is better at some points.
Spoiler alert: it is not. 😂

I mean there are some fantastic lines and item names (a lot of them actually), but I haven't noticed any translations that would look closer to the Japanese than the English localisation, in those key lore/plot point moments. Sometimes I feel like they are translating the English script and not the Japanese script. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Form Oblivion

Awards
Thanks for clarifying about the "Ancient Keyblade Legacy" line. While it does sound like a reference to the events of Union X, it always seemed a little odd coming from Xemnas. Isn't Luxord's somebody the one driving the car for Yozora in the Quadratum? Also Demyx's actual origins and role are completely unknown. The actual translation makes a lot more sense.
Yeah, I think the translators just assumed that Xemnas meant that all of them were chosen because they were all from the past. I mean, they might all actually have a connection to the past, but they're not all from the past. This caused so much confusion and so many wild theories lol.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Just adding more to the pile of mistranslated/rewritten lines between χ and KHIII

What the hell happened man, from what I've seen the translation work was a lot more accurate all the way up through DDD (not without some noticeable changes/flubs, of course).
I remain convinced that SENA decided one day that actually, they hate KH fans and just want to half-ass as much as possible.

Form Oblivion

Awards
Just adding more to the pile of mistranslated/rewritten lines between χ and KHIII

What the hell happened man, from what I've seen the translation work was a lot more accurate all the way up through DDD (not without some noticeable changes/flubs, of course).
Exactly! The previous games were fine, but then the translations started getting more inaccurate and confusing ever since KHIII. And the worst part is that the mistranslated parts is for the major things that are hints that Nomura put that will be important in future games. So then, what's gonna happen when those hints become relevant later??? Oh my gosh, that might be a nightmare.

It's...it's just SO irritating and frustrating to find about these things.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I know that sometimes 1 or 2 small details might get mistranslated, but I would of never expected a line as important as that to be mistranslated especially considering how important the ancient Keyblade legacy is and the mystery surrounding members 9- 12 pasts especially in the case of Luxord and Demyx since we already know about Lauriam and Elrena being part of the Dandelions.

Although this is really interesting since it could be possible that Luxord and Demyx pasts have nothing to do with being Keyblade wielders, but if there was no connection then why was it important for them to be in that cutscene? Even if there not Keyblade wielders there must of been something about them that made Xemnas believe they were potential wielders is it something to do with Quadratum in Luxord case?

As for Demyx I hope he‘s from Quadratum as well as It would be better if we didn’t have a third place that might be connected to the Keyblade legacy in some way

Form Oblivion

Awards
I know that sometimes 1 or 2 small details might get mistranslated, but I would of never expected a line as important as that to be mistranslated especially considering how important the ancient Keyblade legacy is and the mystery surrounding members 9- 12 pasts especially in the case of Luxord and Demyx since we already know about Lauriam and Elrena being part of the Dandelions.

Although this is really interesting since it could be possible that Luxord and Demyx pasts have nothing to do with being Keyblade wielders, but if there was no connection then why was it important for them to be in that cutscene? Even if there not Keyblade wielders there must of been something about them that made Xemnas believe they were potential wielders is it something to do with Quadratum in Luxord case?

As for Demyx I hope he‘s from Quadratum as well as It would be better if we didn’t have a third place that might be connected to the Keyblade legacy in some way
Well, it still might actually be relevant, there's a chance it wasn't mistranslated but was just worded extremely differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back