• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What about a Kingdom Hearts without Disney??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I feel like this idea/criticism/concept might be perpetuated by people who don't interact with varied enough media. The same people who want the Pokemon anime to be more mature and serialized. Just.. watch other shit. Play other shit. If you want Kingdom Hearts without Disney, there are buckets of schlocky cutesy RPGs and anime that'll fit that desire. If you want something darker, same situation.

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem seem like they've got that whole power of friendship anime moaning schtick covered. There aren't new games coming out, but Metal Gear should absolutely give you your large serialized overcomplicated Japanese story fix.

If Kingdom Hearts sheds Disney and tries to stick it out with its own worlds and characters, it's giving up the only thing that makes it really unique.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
It’d essentially be like if Dragon Ball didn’t have Dragon Balls. It’d lose what made it unique. You could make what-ifs about what would happen if they didn’t exist, but the story itself wouldn’t last very long.

Or to put it another way:

Riku: By the way, we don’t have Disney/Final Fantasy characters anymore, so—
Sora: But then, what are we in!?

Sean Wheeler

Awards
Kingdom Hearts can lose Final Fantasy. There's already been a couple of games without Final Fantasy other than the Moogles. But to lose the Disney worlds and characters too? Even if you keep the Kingdom Hearts original cast and the Keyblades and Heartless, the main selling point would be missing. And without Disney, the Kingdom Key would have to be replaced with a Keyblade that doesn't have a Mickey emblem keychain. I wonder if some of these people wanting to remove Disney from Kingdom Hearts are Super Smash Bros. fans who want Sora in Smash? And if you want to get more extreme with the Disney removal, Sora and the other original Kingdom Hearts concepts and characters are owned by Disney. Take them out and we'd be left with the Final Fantasy characters, which makes it a Final Fantasy title and not Kingdom Hearts.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Even a game like Mario Odyssey, which was designed to put Mario in multiple highly unique and starkly different locales, pales in comparison to the sheer visual variety of Kingdom Hearts III-- Lose Disney and you lose that secret sauce. In just one game you get so many looks, colors, landscapes. Disney makes that part easy. I don't think Nomura could create such a wide array from his own mind.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
If it ever came to it I would be fine if Disney wasn’t in the game as what I’m interested in is the Kingdom Hearts characters and their stories and whatever that may involve whether that means Disney is going to be there or not.

Do I want rid of Disney in Kingdom Hearts? No, since it wouldn’t be Kingdom Hearts anymore and besides Disney is the reason I bought the game in the first place since I didn’t actually know about Final Fantasy before that. Exploring the Disney worlds was of the biggest selling points for me when I first picked up the game so there always going to be that nostalgia for the Disney characters and worlds and although I wish Disney would take a backseat and stop being so restrictive with the use of property since the Frozen world in KH3 could of had a lot of potential if Disney trusted Square a bit more with the property and gave them more freedom. Honestly I would miss Disney influence in the Kingdom Hearts lore as removing them from the game takes away part of the series charm and it wouldn’t be the same game without it.

So if Square is allowed to make a game with all the KH and FF characters and worlds without Disney , I happily buy the game cause I really enjoy the characters but just don’t call it Kingdom Hearts anymore as without Disney it’s a completely new game series. Also the chances of this actually happening is extremely unlikely after all when it comes down to who owns the rights to characters like Sora it’s Disney not Square so unless they somehow manage to get the ownership of the characters back from Disney it’s never going to happen.

D

Deleted member 246005

Without the Disney worlds, KH would be a less interesting FF spinoff. KH is just the FF7 compilation expanded.

So I'd just keep Disney but just do it better.

If anything I'd retire Sora and Kairi because they are the weakest of the bunch. Everybody else I could fix but those two are better off gone.

Danrye001

Awards
Without the Disney worlds, KH would be a less interesting FF spinoff. KH is just the FF7 compilation expanded.

So I'd just keep Disney but just do it better.

If anything I'd retire Sora and Kairi because they are the weakest of the bunch. Everybody else I could fix but those two are better off gone.
Sora is the main character of the whole series, while Kairi is one of the princesses of light, take out these two and the story is a mess.

D

Deleted member 246005

Sora is the main character of the whole series, while Kairi is one of the princesses of light, take out these two and the story is a mess.
I'd disagree. I'd rather he got retired after 2. He brought the Xehanort saga down and made it worse.

Heck even in 2, he just became a chore to put up with.

But I'm slipping back into old habits so I suggest we end this here.

Agree to disagree.

Ultimately I'm still in the "keep Disney but use it better" camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danrye001

Awards
I'd disagree. I'd rather he got retired after 2. He brought the Xehanort saga down and made it worse.

Heck even in 2, he just became a chore to put up with.

But I'm slipping back into old habits so I suggest we end this here.

Agree to disagree.

Ultimately I'm off the "keep Disney but use it better" camp.
Because you don't like sora and kairi.

Dark Rot

Awards
It's just crazy to me that so many KH fans think the series isn't distinct enough on it's own to stand on its own without areas based on Disney movies. If it would "just be another Final Fantasy game" well, point to a FF game or any JRPG/ARPG that plays or feels anything like KH. You can't, because it doesn't exist! KH is the kind of game that should have influenced the industry more than it has. There's somehow still genuinely nothing like it. There is totally a unique and memorable Kingdom Hearts aesthetic, which is way more than most games have, nevermind it being enough to justify a whole game of it.

Is the bar so low that you don't think Square-Enix can come up with a game's worth of completely original levels and scenarios, like any other game would have?

I'd keep the Disney worlds myself, maybe half and half, but if they did make a whole game of wondrous original worlds? Sounds beautiful to me.

Danrye001

Awards
It's just crazy to me that so many KH fans think the series isn't distinct enough on it's own to stand on its own without areas based on Disney movies. If it would "just be another Final Fantasy game" well, point to a FF game or any JRPG/ARPG that plays or feels anything like KH. You can't, because it doesn't exist! KH is the kind of game that should have influenced the industry more than it has. There's somehow still genuinely nothing like it. There is totally a unique and memorable Kingdom Hearts aesthetic, which is way more than most games have, nevermind it being enough to justify a whole game of it.

Is the bar so low that you don't think Square-Enix can come up with a game's worth of completely original levels and scenarios, like any other game would have?

I'd keep the Disney worlds myself, maybe half and half, but if they did make a whole game of wondrous original worlds? Sounds beautiful to me.
But still, keep the Disney Characters.

Back