• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Rugrats (2021) on Paramount+

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

PikaPal

Awards
I'm glad to see they've got the original VA's back, super nice hearing Nancy Cartwright in something that isn't the Simpsons even if it is a reprisal.

I wonder what they're going to do with the adults since both Stu and Grandpa's VA's passed away.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I have mixed feelings on this, on one hand it great that they are bringing the Rugrats franchise back as it was a awesome show and it’s great that they got the original cast back and I think a lot of kids are going to enjoy watching this as they grow up and it will probably become a big part of their childhood.

However at the same time I’m not a fan of this show being brought back as from what I’ve seen every childhood show that is being brought back just ends up ruining the original franchise in some way for example Teen Titans franchise being brought back as Teen Titans Go.

I just hope that this remake doesn’t end up ruining a great childhood show like the Rugrats, as I would hate to see this franchise getting turned into something awful.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I thought they were making some live-action film? At least I'd read something about Christina Aguilera playing Angelica's mom.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Disaster. It's already losing what makes Rugrats so iconic and special - it's set in the modern day. The original Rugrats really captured an amazing time (the 90s). I can't even imagine what the babies will do in the modern age, when most parenting nowadays is just handing a child an iPad and putting on YouTube videos. Do kids even play with toys anymore?

It'll be interesting to see if they can capture the hearts of this generation's children (it won't). All these reboots make no sense. It's made for nostalgia bait, so maybe the first few episodes will get original fans to watch. But then the show will be aimed at kids, so original fans won't stick around. I think that's the reason why most reboots/adaptations fail or don't do well. The exception if they go in an extremely dark/"mature" direction like Riverdale or Sabrina.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
However at the same time I’m not a fan of this show being brought back as from what I’ve seen every childhood show that is being brought back just ends up ruining the original franchise in some way for example Teen Titans franchise being brought back as Teen Titans Go.
I disagree there's been quite a few remakes/reboots that turned out better than the originals, such as She-Ra, Thundercats and Ducktales. Reboots are a mixed bag some turn out good or even great and others are Powerpuff Girls bad.

The original Rugrats really captured an amazing time (the 90s). I can't even imagine what the babies will do in the modern age, when most parenting nowadays is just handing a child an iPad and putting on YouTube videos. Do kids even play with toys anymore?
Yes, because Parents in the 90s totally didn't pacify their "Rugrats" by placing them in front of the TV or handing them a GameBoy. This is a complaint as old as I can remember. Just because the kids are given iPads doesn't mean they won't put it down and go on adventures like in the old show.

If I had any hesitation is that the Boomer archetypes the parents are based on would need updating to be more based on Gen x or Millennials. It's possible to upgrade those archetypes to their modern counterparts I guess.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I disagree there's been quite a few remakes/reboots that turned out better than the originals, such as She-Ra, Thundercats and Ducktales. Reboots are a mixed bag some turn out good or even great and others are Powerpuff Girls bad.

Yes, because Parents in the 90s totally didn't pacify their "Rugrats" by placing them in front of the TV or handing them a GameBoy. This is a complaint as old as I can remember. Just because the kids are given iPads doesn't mean they won't put it down and go on adventures like in the old show.

If I had any hesitation is that the Boomer archetypes the parents are based on would need updating to be more based on Gen x or Millennials. It's possible to upgrade those archetypes to their modern counterparts I guess.
But were Gameboys and TVs and technology as rampant and intertwined with life as it is today? If even grown adults are always checking their phones nonstop, kids are even worse.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I’ve actually never seen any of those remakes, the only ones I end up seeing are always the bad ones like Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls. Although I might take a look at those remakes you mentioned, after all it would be nice to see a good remake for once.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
But were Gameboys and TVs and technology as rampant and intertwined with life as it is today? If even grown adults are always checking their phones nonstop, kids are even worse.
Well people sure acted like they did. I mean later on they build in TVs into cars to pacify kids on the road. 🤷‍♂️ I'm just saying tablets wouldn't be a hindrance to the babies playing or going on adventures. I'm almost certain they'll have an episode on it at some point.

I’ve actually never seen any of those remakes, the only ones I end up seeing are always the bad ones like Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls. Although I might take a look at those remakes you mentioned, after all it would be nice to see a good remake for once.
With Thundercats I'd say go for the last one not the current reboot, I'm not sure how good Roar is.

Barrett

Awards

AegisXIII

Awards
Is it okay that everytime there is a gay character in a show, it is used as a marketing tool? I am not okay with this as it still rings the music that gay people are so different than when they add them in a show, they need to organize a press conference for the applause.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Is it okay that everytime there is a gay character in a show, it is used as a marketing tool? I am not okay with this as it still rings the music that gay people are so different than when they add them in a show, they need to organize a press conference for the applause.
Sadly i think, if they couldnt turn it into a PR stunt they wouldnt even bother doing it in this current point in time. Hopefully we'll reach appoint where including queers isnt news worthy anymore and just normal.

If they wanted to go the extrastep they could have it that Howard was a transwoman all along and has transitioned after the birth of the twins and is still together with her wife. But i feel we're still a decade away from a kids show taking a step like that.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Yes, because all butch feminists must be lesbians. :rolleyes:

I hope I don't get banned for this, but honestly, the pinkwashing/queerwashing/rainbow-washing (whatever the fuck they call it) can be annoying whenever it's executed this way, turning or retconning an established cishet person may seem empowering but in my opinion the marketing is so scummy and trivializing, and we all know (let's not lie to ourselves), they're doing it because "it's in" and an "easy sell." Kind of like how they made Iceman gay after a long history of tumultuous straight relationships, including Mystique of all people (as much as superheroes are not my type of fiction), or when George Takei disliked the idea of Hikaru Sulu being gay, despite Takei being actually gay.

Look, I'm fine with shows that promote that kind of thing. I think the love between Sapphire and Ruby from Steven Universe is sweet, all the while condemning Pearl's way unhealthy obsession with Rose alongside the obvious imbalanced power dynamic.

Let's take it closer to home for Nickelodeon. I would love an As Told by Ginger remake. I can see it from space how Courtney developed from a vapid though sweetly naive girl (rather than the stereotypical popular bitch) into someone more thoughtful, and would certainly make a better friend that that snake Dodie, and how in the entirerity of the show, her dynamic with the titular character changed in a slow burn. It was even confirmed by the creators that Courtney would've confessed to Ginger in the finale (although obviously amiably if awkwardly rejected). If they were going to make a remake of that, I would've loved to see them expand on Courtney's feelings and development, and while I certainly won't expect Ginger becoming interested in her, the expanded character development, as well as constitutions of a healthy relationship post-rejection, would make me happy.

In other matters, is it just me, or is Susie kinda...dumber, and smaller?

WaltK

Awards
I absolutely hate Didi’s new voice. The VA has absolutely no range, constantly sounding super soft and buttery.

Melanie Chartoff’s Didi was softly spoken too, but she could also sound firm and authoritarian when she needed to be.

It’s especially obvious in the short remake of “The Lamp”. Lets compare:

AegisXIII

Awards
So this is a shot by shot remake? Weird. The original show is good as it is. Also the clown is not scary in the new version. It was supposed to be distorted to match our children eyes.
Remember the nightmare episode? This one still wakes me up at night. XD

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
It's not bad, but surprisingly the handdrawn version seemed to play around more with perspectives and angles. I figured it being CGI, they could play around with that stuff more.

If these shorts were meant to be a prove of concept, I can't say they impressed me too much. Though the end of the CGI video where they didn't seem to be just recreating stuff seemed to look better.

I still don't get why they didn't just go for the next generation instead of a remake/reboot. Guess this sells better.

PikaPal

Awards
I just don't really know with this new version. To me there's something about Klasky Csupo's super rough and bizarre animation style that fits really well with the series, and that kind of charm seems to be missing here.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I was indifferent about the CGI, but now I think I’ve warmed up to it. It was great to watch those shorts and I had this sudden feeling of nostalgia.
Funnily enough, I really don’t have much to nitpick on this one. I’m just enjoying it for what it is.

Back