• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road Will Shut Down May 2021

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

GreyouTT

Awards
Global started to receive double story updates starting last month, bringing its formerly 4-month gap down to what is currently 2. Assuming we continue at this pace, Global will not be fully caught up until the final update drops in April.

It's sad that after all these years, they've managed to keep story parity out of our reach.

Dark Road will only continue for a few more months after.
There's always the chance they could speed the schedule up and update it bi-weekly.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Y’all SE just announced not one but 2 new FF7-related mobile games. Coincidence? I think not

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
BTW if you haven't already realized, the image is most definitely showing Player's dramatic return to Daybreak Town. The corridor they used to get to Game Central Station looked exactly like that:

1614298140954.png

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Not gonna lie, I will miss the game but at the same time, Nomura could remake it down the road for consoles.

Question is if they'll go with older graphics for gameplay and compressed Unreal Engine cutscenes so it could run on switch...

Dark Road could always be the Reverse/Rebirth of the game, it would use the same assets. Medals and the Cards could be repurposed as the Command Deck, whatever ones you pick would have a different Spell or Attack move.

Speaking of Medals, it's sad that we got no Yozora medal.

darknessofheart

Awards
Like many others have said, this feels more like a relief than anything else. While the overall story turned out decent, it took far too long to really progress in a meaningful way. I never felt excited when a new world came into play because I never thought a mobile game could do them enough justice and it meant years' worth of largely filler quests.

That being said, I enjoyed the updates within the last year as they have really filled in some blanks, but eager for both games to finally be wrapped up. Hard to believe that Dark Road will already be a year old in a few months.

With both games concluded, this will hopefully finally close off Xehanort's story for a while. I have no doubt that he will factor into future games via a flashback or some type of memory like in MoM (it would be odd if he didn't give the massive impact he's had at this point and Nomura's own love for the character), but I think it's finally time to give him a rest for a bit. After a DLC where you destroy him and his forms several more times, a melody-rhythm game where you fight a phantom of him, and a mobile game elaborating on his origins, all just within over a year, I think the series has seen enough of him for now.

Last edited:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
First I want to thank @Sign and @Goldpanner for all of their hard work over the years. Without their dedication and endless push, we may have never seen x[chi] come to the west. You both make sure that this game has a better translation than the one by Global. 💖💖💖
Thank you!! And thank you to the rest of the team as you mentioned, I have had so much fun translating this series over the years. Trying to make heads and tails of the crazy turns has been a series of bright spots for me personally over a difficult few years, and you guys as well as the fans who follow our translation effort have made it such a special experience❤️ I'm in it til the end!!

yuyayuzu

Awards
Actually I think KHUX is not bad because it is a mobile game but just simply because it is a bad mobile game. Well, console is better of course but I wonder if it they will make it soon since the cost of creating one is higher. So I just hope if they make a new mobile game one they will not make system similar to this.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Y’all SE just announced not one but 2 new FF7-related mobile games. Coincidence? I think not

This is completely intentional. Final Fantasy VII is Square Enix's signature property that they completely own, they don't have to pay licensing fees like they do with Kingdom Hearts as that's owned by Disney.

Devilish Destati

Awards
I think a Dark Road real!game is actually really likely (sooner or later). Nomura had the idea for Dark Road since before telephone!games took over development opportunities, and now the majority of the story is being made on a platform (UXDR) which is already dead as it's being developed. Seems like prime material for looking at and saying, "yknow, this isn't really what we wanted it to be, let's expand it when we get the chance".
I'd be down for a Dark Road console game with an explorable Scala Ad Caelum hub town, but for me it depends on what the rest of the story looks like. Hopefully they don't spend the majority of the game visiting empty Disney worlds like they did with Agrabah.

Willow A113

Awards
Thank you!! And thank you to the rest of the team as you mentioned, I have had so much fun translating this series over the years. Trying to make heads and tails of the crazy turns has been a series of bright spots for me personally over a difficult few years, and you guys as well as the fans who follow our translation effort have made it such a special experience❤️ I'm in it til the end!!
I have a question: Is your first language English or Japanese?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think it's funny how pretty much everyone's reaction is a variant of "Finally!" or "Thank goodness".

While I think UX and DR had interesting story elements, the delivery method definitely wasn't good, nor was the gameplay fun. All the Disney Filler didn't help with the pacing either.

I'm curious what this'll mean for DR, seeing it doesn't seem like it has gotten the ball rolling yet, while they manage to make their way through the story in a good pace or while they have to rush it and skip a lot of ideas they might have wanted to explore.

Katsagu

Awards
Well went to login into the game, might as well spend all the jewels I had been hoarding up untill now...115000 jewels to spend on the 1500 banner, I'll be here for a while I guess.

Xagzan

Awards
Union X I can see, but honestly surprised Dark Road is ending. Didn't that just start recently?

Anyway, aside from gameplay, I've also been surprised to see people upset about it for narrative reasons, as I think this whole mobile enterprise has been the absolute weakest output from Nomura in the series. A story with characters that barely qualify as such and serve mostly to deliver exposition, a game that raises a million questions and answers hardly any of them so you can't even get a decent grasp on what you're experiencing (did we ever find out who the original traitor was? or even what that meant exactly?)

Not to mention, taking the Keyblade War, originally presented as some grand myth or fable with all the fundamental potency that entails, and turning it into...some bizarre team scavenger hunt that gets out of hand? The whole thing was an odd mess from the start, more a series of events than a cohesive plot. That's my take.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Union X I can see, but honestly surprised Dark Road is ending. Didn't that just start recently?
Yep, just launched in June, but only has 3 chapters of story and content overall has been unbelievably sparse.

Anyway, aside from gameplay, I've also been surprised to see people upset about it for narrative reasons, as I think this whole mobile enterprise has been the absolute weakest output from Nomura in the series. A story with characters that barely qualify as such and serve mostly to deliver exposition, a game that raises a million questions and answers hardly any of them so you can't even get a decent grasp on what you're experiencing (did we ever find out who the original traitor was? or even what that meant exactly?)

The traitor subplot just pertained to the Foretellers and was resolved a long time ago. I'm actually surprised people keep bringing it up as no one has even uttered the word "traitor" in-game in years.

MoM set them up to turn against each other and kick start the Keyblade War. The actual traitor is the one who diverged from their assigned role in an attempt to take back control of their fate. That of course being Ava, who gave the Book of Prophecies to Brain instead of whoever MoM had originally chosen.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Amen!

Thank you to all the KHI staff that dedicated years to actually endure this game and translate it.

I have a question - if I download the game when it's offline, does that mean I get access to theater mode immediately? All I care about is seeing English cutscenes. I'm willing to try the app again and see if it works with my phone, because the last time I tried it broke my phone.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Amen!

Thank you to all the KHI staff that dedicated years to actually endure this game and translate it.

I have a question - if I download the game when it's offline, does that mean I get access to theater mode immediately? All I care about is seeing English cutscenes. I'm willing to try the app again and see if it works with my phone, because the last time I tried it broke my phone.

Uhhh, what kind of phone are you using? My immediate thought is if it didn't work then, it probably wouldn't work now.

Back