• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ever felt really stupid buying a game? (Rant)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Were you not familiar with Star Fox 1 or 64 beforehand?

(Adventures was a bigger mess imo)
No I had and enjoyed Start Fox 64 and played the original game as well. Just enjoyed Starfox Adventures an was hoping that Assault was gonna be a direct sequel with the same style of gameplay, graphics, and storytelling (Im in the minority of people who really enjoyed Adventures and wasn't pissed off that they use used the gameplay style that made 3D zelda games great.)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No I had and enjoyed Start Fox 64 and played the original game as well. Just enjoyed Starfox Adventures an was hoping that Assault was gonna be a direct sequel with the same style of gameplay, graphics, and storytelling (Im in the minority of people who really enjoyed Adventures and wasn't pissed off that they use used the gameplay style that made 3D zelda games great.)
That's fine. But I felt however that Adventures was a subpar Zelda clone with a lot of shortcomings. It was meant to be an original IP on N64 and it feels apparent a lot of cuts were made when moving it to a new console with overhauled graphics and SF tacked on.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
That's fine. But I felt however that Adventures was a subpar Zelda clone with a lot of shortcomings. It was meant to be an original IP on N64 and it feels apparent a lot of cuts were made when moving it to a new console with overhauled graphics and SF tacked on.
So you feel the histroy of the game and it borrowing gameplay elemnets from Zelda made it a bad game...?

Personally I took the game for what it was...
- Decent Adventure Game
- Good Storeline
- Good Voice acting
- Good Music
- Best graphics on the gamecube (next to Resident Evil 4)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assassins Creed Unity: Wasnt what i expected it to be. The trailes and the hype around the game sold me on it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So you feel the histroy of the game and it borrowing gameplay elemnets from Zelda made it a bad game...?

Personally I took the game for what it was...
- Decent Adventure Game
- Good Storeline
- Good Voice acting
- Good Music
- Best graphics on the gamecube (next to Resident Evil 4)
Well I was trying not to derail this thread too much, but if you really wanna talk anbout "the history of this game"...

Dinosaur Planet was shaping up to Rare's final magnum opus of their extraordinary run of N64 releases. Look at that footage & how moody & atmospheric it is. Considering most other Rareware titles are either goofy (I.E. Banjo, DKC, Conker) or bombastic (Blastcorps, Killer Instinct), DP was designed to be a much darker, more serious saga. Star Fox Adventures gutted a lot of that in favor of jokes about why Fox can't use his blaster or Slippy being Slippy.

• Krystal went from being the main character for 50% of the game to being reduced to a stock damsel in distress after the prologue.
  • Her design also changed from being more sensibly dressed to sexy jungle girl fanservice fodder, forever tainting the internet's perception of her as a character. Like seriously, she has been a toxic as hell topic of conversation on any forum SF is discussed.
  • Sabre, the other protagonist of DP, was cut from the game altogether.
  • Drakor was intended to be a major villain with his own backstory in DP, a bigger threat than General Scales even. In Adventures, he's a filler boss that comes out of nowhere & is of no importance otherwise
  • Speaking of which, holy shit, there's no General Scales bossfight! He gets shitcanned just so Andross could have a completely arbitrary resurrection & forced final bossfight.
Dinosaur Planet was gutted, much of its lore & it's primary charters (both good & evil) got shafted in the interest of retooling the whole thing as Fox vs. Andross again. The team behind the game didn't want to make the change, but did so anyway to maintain their "strong relationship" with Nintendo. & immediately after SFA came out, Rare got sold off to Microsoft, where they were squandered for years. Instead of a shining beacon of Rareware's peak, the game became the symbol of their fall.

& that's still not even the extent of my issues honestly:

• The Test of Strength & Test of Fear are horribly designed mini-games & they're virtually back-to-back with each other.
  • Combat with Sharpclaws is pretty much braindead & yet still go a little too long, making it increasingly tedious the more of them I fight.
  • The arwing levels are super short & pure filler.
  • The snow region lacked a bossfight, instead opting for a racing mini-game.
  • The other Star Fox cast didn't get off all that well either, particularly Falco not showing up until the very end.
  • Fox is supposed to be 26 in this game, but he acts like he just hit puberty whenever he sees Krystal.
  • Krystal's backstory of her investigating the destruction of her homeworld Cerinia is never followed up here or in the following SF games.
  • Many cases of items that are used one time & then just occupies space in your inventory never to be used again.
  • Tricky is SO GODDAMN ANNOYING!!! Like Rare was on a mission to purposefully create a worse sidekick than Navi.

Awards
When Bloodborne came out I bought it. I played it for about 2 hours and rage quit because I couldn't even get to the first boss. I took it back to Gamestop a few months later after I tried again. About a year or 2 later I bought it again and once again rage quit. Took it back to Gamestop the same day. Eventually I bought it a third time and got it to Platinum. Talk about stupid the first two times. xD

I remember I even told the woman at the counter, "This is the third time I'm buying this game." LOL

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think I hit my limit with the series at Pokemon X/Y
That makes two of us. My last mainline Pokemon game was X Version. I couldn't get myself to get past the Team Flare base in the desert/cliff ish area. SunMo piqued my interest, but it didn't inspire me to buy it. Nor have SwSh.

I think I'm gonna get back to Pokemon when they release the Gen 4 remakes.

Sonic Chronicles, a Sonic RPG from Bioware back when they still had a perfect reputation & is the closest we got to a game based on the comics continuity. It got B's & 80%s from various review sites & magazines. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh God it hurts, please make the hurting stop.

Here's 3 quick facts about me:
A. I can play Sonic games
B. I can play RPG
C. I can't play rhythm games to save my life

Which of these 3 facts would you say is the most important to playing a Sonic RPG? Well it turns out the answer is C because every damn attack & spell requires the player to do some Elite Beat Agents bullshit to work. Made worse that the you-did-it-wrong sound effect sounded more like a you-did-it-right SFX to me, so I didn't realize how badly I was screwing up for the longest time.

In fact, the audio top to bottom is just terrible Shadow's "voice" is the falling-down-the-tube SFX from Sonic Spinball. & the music, Hoolee Moolee the music. Apparently Bioware ran into legal issues with their soundtrack in the 11th hour or some other shit & at the last minute replaced most of the tracks with MIDIs from a fan site. The results weren't pretty.

Here's the final boss theme Sonic 3, an all time classic final boss theme in gaming:

Here's it's remix from Sonic Generations 3DS, a great track made downright legendary:

& here's the Chronicles rendition, which BTW was used as a dungeon theme & not for any battle:

WHY HAS THE HURTING NOT STOPPED?!?!?!!!!

Story is.............ok. To Bioware's credit, they've done some homework & tied previously unconnected threads from multiple past games together to form this game's backstory & this was probably the last time any Sonic game remembered the Master Emerald. However, some of these callbacks don't really amount to much in the long run. OK, so the Dark Brotherhood built the Gizoids from Sonic Battle, what of it? The gizoids in the game might just as well have elite Brotherhood troops for all the difference it makes. If Gemerl from Advance 3 made an appearance they could've gone somewhere with it but he doesn't so nevermind.

Speaking of the Dark Brotherhood, the other disappointment is that this is like the only Sonic game to incorporate elements from the archie comics canon, except not really. Instead of the Dark Legion/Julie Su/Dimitri, SC has the store brand knock-offs Dark Brotherhood/Shade/Ix. It's like getting Kylo Ren instead of Jacen Solo. I hate to imagine a sequel having substitute Freedom Fighters if Bioware kept going.

Dialogue choices seem to be there for the sake of Bioware tradition, not to actually add anything of note. You can either choose from sarcastic Sonic or serious Sonic, but the results the same regardless. This probably would've been a better game to work in a custom player avatar instead of Forces, Bioware at least could've done more with it. Tails is so insufferable about reminding the player to save the game, he continues to do it even after telling him to stop. That's how inconsequential choices are.

Stats are so weirdly implemented. Damage output is not a visible stat, you can equipped items that increase your damage but they don't show by how much. There's an "Attack" stat that you can see, but it actually refers to the attack's accuracy, which I didn't know for the longest time & was hella confused at why I was doing so little damage. You give party members protection from different elemental attacks, but there is no single enemy in the whole game that even deals any sort of elemental damage so the shields are pointless.

In short, it's a game where every facet of it fails. Crap graphics, terrible audio, lousy controls, half-assed gameplay, weak story, & a cliffhanger ending that'll never get resolved thanks to a lawsuit from a dumbass ex-writer. It may not be the worst Sonic game ever but it was the 1 that broke my heart the most.
Thanks for your honest review. I was considering getting this game at some point in time, ahahah. Guess I'll watch a let's Play lol.
but the saga of MGSV from Ground Zeroes setting up intense intrigue and being insanely fun and then The Phantom Pain being what it was was so disappointing
Hear, hear. That second half TPP... 💀

InformaKid

Awards
Have never felt this way buying a game, but when I spent a lot of money in Dota 2 opening treasure chests and buying skins, there was something similar. Thanks God I was able to sell my Dota 2 items for real money and get back the major part of the expenses.

Last edited:

HeartsProdigy

Awards
Not yet, I'm glad I didn't buy Cyberpunk 2077, or I might be ranting here over and over about that game lol. Did anyone get bad reviews with this game?

cakito123

Awards
I have a funny story about a game I regret buying: Spyro. But not realy Spyro

I came to a store asking for a spyro game, because some people at school were talking about it - the guy even put the disc inside his PS2 to test it and that's when my 8 year self played this:

This is a game about demons, murders and a mystery and dark vibe

- Is this spyro? Where is the purple dragon? - I asked him

- Yeah, it is, this new game is different, spyro appears later at half the game.

I completely understood and went happy to play at home... In my mind, I had spyro now, right? The thing is, Devil Summoner isn't a good game if you don't understand english. It is very story driven and has a lot of investigations. I tend to always have liked happy things and friendship power franchises, so this was really out of the curve for me. And I'm from brazil, so games at my early age was exactly what made me learn english.
What's weird is that I believed the guy that this was SPYRO for SO LONG lol
I remember having an english dictionary at my side so I could understand at least a little from it, but GOD I HATED THIS GAME - I only insisted playing it because I had the expectation of playing as spyro later - I got to hate spyro for a few years before I realized spyro isn't Devil Summoner hahaha

Back