• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► The new big three anime, thoughts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Vulpes XIII

Awards
From what I understand it was a term that referred to the biggest three anime at the time that literally anyone could get into and was so popular that it was impossible to not know about them they were One Piece/Naruto/Bleach, from what I heard the new big three is My hero academia/ Demon Slayer/ Black Clover. Do you think the concept still exist or will One Piece/ Naruto /Bleach be the only anime ever deserving of that title and if so do you these three anime deserve the title of being the best of this generation.What do you think of the anime themselves? If not what newer anime do you think deserves the title.

My hero academia - I enjoy the anime and can definitely see how it is easy for both anime fans and non anime fans to get into. It certainly has the hype and following to earn it spot in the big three, I think it a good story of an underdog and I enjoy seeing deku‘s growth through the series and the fight scences are awesome probably my favourite animated arc is the sports festival. I like the idea of building the show around the concept of hero society as it slowly starts to show you the faults of the system that people overlook and that people are too reliant on the heroes to always save the day and the problems associated with judging pretty much everything about a person based on whether they have a quirk or not and what kind is it for example if it’s a quirk that seems evil there pretty much viewed as evil by society instantly. In my opinion the biggest fault of the show is lack of character development and focus for the majority of the cast in the anime unless there Deku,Bakugo,Todoroki, Uraraka, Shigaraki, Toga and maybe Twice.The only other thing I can think of that I don’t like is Mineta I really dislike that character.

Demon Slayer- As far as I’m aware it hasn’t been out for long but has definitely gained it own following for a anime that only has one season so far, apparently it’s movie has even overtaken Frozen in Japan. The premise is a interesting one, story wise I like the focus around a Tanjiro and his sister Nezuko and the relationship between the two throughout the story and just how much Nezuko means to him and how far he will go to help her. Another anime where I think the fights are awesome and the story is good. One thing I will give it over my hero academia is the fact it gives even the minor characters some sort of spotlight even if a character appears only for one or two episodes. The only things that comes to mind that I can fault in on is the slowness of the story in my opinion I feel that the really good stuff didn’t happen until at least halfway into the show, but when it did it was awesome, however for quite a few people I can imagine they probably dropped the anime before getting to that point. The other thing I didn’t like was Zenitsu constant screaming I get it‘s part of his character but it’s annoying when it feels like it happens every 5 minutes.

Black Clover- I can’t comment on this anime just yet as I haven’t got around to watching it.

Honorable mention
The Promised Neverland - So far it only has 12 episodes that are animated but I finished the manga and I think it could have potential to take a spot as one of the big three anime, however I think that when season 2 gets animated that will probably be a good indicator of whether it has a chance or not to earn a spot in the big three.

Last edited:

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Currently I dont think there is a big Three...
The Naruto / Bleach / OnePiece era was dope but what made them special is that they were hugely popular and pretty much everyone who watched anime would recommend them to newbies. My Hero Academia is pretty much a given to newbies now but that is like the only current anime that i would recommend as an entry drug.

I could be wrong tho I dont have time to watch as much anime as i used to.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Currently I dont think there is a big Three...
The Naruto / Bleach / OnePiece era was dope but what made them special is that they were hugely popular and pretty much everyone who watched anime would recommend them to newbies. My Hero Academia is pretty much a given to newbies now but that is like the only current anime that i would recommend as an entry drug.

I could be wrong tho I dont have time to watch as much anime as i used to.

I definitely agree with what you said about My Hero Academia as it is probably the only new anime I would recommend for people who are new to anime to watch as well, I would say Demon Slayer but I think the slow pacing of the show could be off putting to new fans ( might be wrong though.) It’s a shame that there is not as many anime’s that are good entry points to the genre as there used to be.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I would say currently One Piece, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer and Black Clover are the most popular shonen animes, I'm aware of. But I also know that Black Clover is very controversial, with a lot of people describing it as obnoxious and pretty by the shonen trope numbers.

It's really hard to say if there should still be a Big 3 and who they should be. The anime landscape changed so much since the 2000s. Back then there wasn't as many shows per year and everyone seemed to be roughly watching the same stuff, now each season we get a truck load dumped on us.

How things get adapted also seem to have changed, before shows would get weekly episodes like One Piece still does, but now most shows get a season with a limited number of episodes and only get picked up for a second one if they do well. And even when they do get picked up it's not ongoing but in season blocks. I actually prefer the current model seeing they have more time to plan stuff out and don't end up making as much filler and the occasions they do make a filler episode it seems more suited to the show.

Regarding what I think of them. I pretty much agree with your assessments. I really like Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia, they handle the typical shonen tropes really well and are a bit more subversive of the older tropes. They also are better paced than the old Shonen Big Three. When they entered an Arc it would drag on for years and years, like One Piece still tends to do, where as My Hero Academia usually wraps them up within a year or so in the manga releases.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I would say currently One Piece, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer and Black Clover are the most popular shonen animes, I'm aware of. But I also know that Black Clover is very controversial, with a lot of people describing it as obnoxious and pretty by the shonen trope numbers.

It's really hard to say if there should still be a Big 3 and who they should be. The anime landscape changed so much since the 2000s. Back then there wasn't as many shows per year and everyone seemed to be roughly watching the same stuff, now each season we get a truck load dumped on us.

How things get adapted also seem to have changed, before shows would get weekly episodes like One Piece still does, but now most shows get a season with a limited number of episodes and only get picked up for a second one if they do well. And even when they do get picked up it's not ongoing but in season blocks. I actually prefer the current model seeing they have more time to plan stuff out and don't end up making as much filler and the occasions they do make a filler episode it seems more suited to the show.

Regarding what I think of them. I pretty much agree with your assessments. I really like Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia, they handle the typical shonen tropes really well and are a bit more subversive of the older tropes. They also are better paced than the old Shonen Big Three. When they entered an Arc it would drag on for years and years, like One Piece still tends to do, where as My Hero Academia usually wraps them up within a year or so in the manga releases.

I never knew that Black Clover was considered controversial. I got to admit I like the current model for adapting anime as well, it makes it a lot easier to get into anime and I can just pick up the manga while waiting for the next season to get adapted. The way they handled previous anime adaptation was the reason I ended up dropping anime such as Naruto and One Piece simply because it felt like they would never end,still it’s kind of weird to think about how much anime has changed since the 2000’s.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I never knew that Black Clover was considered controversial. I got to admit I like the current model for adapting anime as well, it makes it a lot easier to get into anime and I can just pick up the manga while waiting for the next season to get adapted. The way they handled previous anime adaptation was the reason I ended up dropping anime such as Naruto and One Piece simply because it felt like they would never end,still it’s kind of weird to think about how much anime has changed since the 2000’s.
I know Black Clover has it's sizable fan base. However the chatter i remember hearing around it definetly didn't seem as enthusiastic and positive as the other two.

Yeah, it there seems to have been quite the shift going on between the two decades.
One of the problems of the older adaption model is like you mentioned it starts bloating the series and makes it feel never ending. Also the quality of the filler can be so bad you lose people.

I stopped watching the Bleach anime after the soul society arc, simply because the following filler arc was just so off putting. The manga managed to keep my interest longer.

I can't even imagine ever watching the One Piece anime again, considering how many episodes it has. Though because of the stories slow progression and art shift i kind of lost interest in this series anyways.

Oddly enough only Naruto managed to keep my interest until the end.

D

Deleted member 246005

People say My Hero Academia and Jujutsu Kaisen are good substitutes for Naruto and Bleach.

I read the beginning of both and I could see it.

I lost interest in shonens as I got older so I'm pretty out of touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back