• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think is the best Kingdom Hearts opening song?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Best Kingdom Hearts opening song?

• Total voters

Vulpes XIII

Awards
This is honestly a hard choice given we have had so many great songs, but for me I have to go with Sanctuary I just love everything about it, it’s such a nice song to listen too, I think the change in tune halfway through the song sounds awesome and I really like the way they finish the song as well, I enjoy the opening movie and its the song that plays for my favourite games.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
My favourite changes regularly for me. Right now it's Face My Fears. It used to be Sanctuary before KH3. The thing with Simple and Clean is that it is pure nostalgia.

But this thread is about which song I think is the actual best song. Face My Fears - as a song - is not great. I would narrow down the best pieces of music to: Simple and Clean, Sanctuary, and Simple and Clean (Orchestra). If I had to choose the best song, it would probably go to Sanctuary.

AR829038

Awards
KH1 is my favorite game, but personally, none of the intro songs can beat Sanctuary. The vibes that song gives off is just so magical and cryptic, it's such a perfect fit for the series. Simple and Clean is classic and A+, but Sanctuary just hits that little extra feel-button that sets it over the top for me. Face My Fears is alright, but I really don't jive with the dubstep, and I find that I much prefer the orchestral version of it. But a lot of that is personal taste—I just really don't care for dubstep at all.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I think Hikari -Ray of Hope- is the best opening
As a song to play in tandem with a video, it works the best and is the most exciting

As a standalone song, Passion all day every day.
Honestly, as a pretty big fan of Utada's music in general, I think Passion might be her best song period.
It's really unlike anything else she's ever done, even on the same album. It's so unique and ethereal and theatrical almost.

Also, I have to say it: every single English version is inferior
I appreciate the effort but I'd really just rather have the JP tracks even on English copies of the game.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
All of the opening songs are really good but my vote went to Simple and Clean. It was the song that got me interested in KH during that first commercial

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I...don’t like Sanctuary but I love Passion. Passion is my favorite but I can’t vote it when paired with Sanctuary.

FMF is great and I blast it at max when it comes on shuffle in my car, but I can’t say I prefer it over the other songs.

Hikari/S&C are nostalgic and the strongest pair of the opening songs, which is why it is my personal favorite.

Ray of Hope definitely is up there with the originals, though. Paired with those beautiful visuals, it’s definitely my second favorite opening.

1. Hikari/S&C
2. Hikari/S&C Ray of Hope
3. Passion
4. FMF
5. Sanctuary

Hikari/S&C Orchestra version doesn’t rank anywhere for me because how dare you ask anybody to rank Yoko Shimomura and Kaoru Wada’s beautiful orchestration.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I...don’t like Sanctuary but I love Passion. Passion is my favorite but I can’t vote it when paired with Sanctuary.

FMF is great and I blast it at max when it comes on shuffle in my car, but I can’t say I prefer it over the other songs.

Hikari/S&C are nostalgic and the strongest pair of the opening songs, which is why it is my personal favorite.

Ray of Hope definitely is up there with the originals, though. Paired with those beautiful visuals, it’s definitely my second favorite opening.

1. Hikari/S&C
3. Passion
4. FMF
5. Sanctuary

Hikari/S&C Orchestra version doesn’t rank anywhere for me because how dare you ask anybody to rank Yoko Shimomura and Kaoru Wada’s beautiful orchestration.
Same tbh, the song structure of Sanctuary sounds off to me compared to Passion, yet Simple and Clean and Hikari complement each other well. Even Face My Fears works well for both languages. Though I will say the After The Battle version for Sanctuary sounds okay.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Sanctuary Voice of the Future goes dummy hoarde, and I vote for it as my #1. have a listen:

If we're going by official track mixes, then Sanctuary wins again just from being so delicious and nostalgic. Whenever I hear it, tears well up in my eyes and ears. It and KH2's Dearly Beloved just make me remember the peaceful times. Zero stress, stay home from school when sick, all of the good times. No Internet connection except to play RuneScape or AdventureQuest. Oh how I miss 2005-2006.

I would have voted maybe Ray of Hope or even FmF, but neither song fit the game they are featured for. Face my Fears has ZERO to do with KH3. Ray of Hope is the antithesis of 0.2 (especially after the fact that we learn Aqua's struggles meant literally nothing and she got darked in like 3 seconds). they are good songs don't get me wrong but they are in my opinion thematically irrelevant.

Vulpes XIII

Awards

1. Hikari/S&C
3. Passion
4. FMF
5. Sanctuary

I was actually debating about whether to put the English or Japanese versions together or not when I first made the poll, honestly in the end the only reason I put them together is I thought I might run out of space because I tried to make another poll before but had to just put the options in the comments as it wouldn’t let me put anymore in. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I can change the poll without messing up the results.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Same tbh, the song structure of Sanctuary sounds off to me compared to Passion, yet Simple and Clean and Hikari complement each other well. Even Face My Fears works well for both languages. Though I will say the After The Battle version for Sanctuary sounds okay.

Yes! The song structure is so weird. Clunky..."Sanctuary" is also missing a bit of depth due to the producer removing Utada's "ahhh" backtrack that plays throughout "Passion". It really ties the song together imo. In comparison, "Sanctuary" sounds more hollow.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot of nostalgia for the song, but it's definitely the weaker version of the two.

I was actually debating about whether to put the English or Japanese versions together or not when I first made the poll, honestly in the end the only reason I put them together is I thought I might run out of space because I tried to make another poll before but had to just put the options in the comments as it wouldn’t let me put anymore in. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I can change the poll without messing up the results.

All good! I think it generated some interesting discussion imo

Sanctuary Voice of the Future goes dummy hoarde, and I vote for it as my #1. have a listen:

If we're going by official track mixes, then Sanctuary wins again just from being so delicious and nostalgic. Whenever I hear it, tears well up in my eyes and ears. It and KH2's Dearly Beloved just make me remember the peaceful times. Zero stress, stay home from school when sick, all of the good times. No Internet connection except to play RuneScape or AdventureQuest. Oh how I miss 2005-2006.

I would have voted maybe Ray of Hope or even FmF, but neither song fit the game they are featured for. Face my Fears has ZERO to do with KH3. Ray of Hope is the antithesis of 0.2 (especially after the fact that we learn Aqua's struggles meant literally nothing and she got darked in like 3 seconds). they are good songs don't get me wrong but they are in my opinion thematically irrelevant.

This is a pretty cool version.

Man, RuneScape. Your post and Drew Gooden's video about that really take me back to those days.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
OP was focusing on opening songs specifically.
Wait, so he meant "Simple and Clean (PLANIT b Remix)" and not the "Simple and Clean" from the ending? Because then I would put Face My Fears over that one.

I listen to Face My Fears practically every day compared to Simple and Clean / Sanctuary though:whistle:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wait, so he meant "Simple and Clean (PLANIT b Remix)" and not the "Simple and Clean" from the ending? Because then I would put Face My Fears over that one.

I listen to Face My Fears practically every day compared to Simple and Clean / Sanctuary though:whistle:

Well, the title does say "What do you think is the best Kingdom Hearts opening song?"

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Dang.... Sanctuary or Ray of Hope.... I just... dunno. Sanctuary like... I mean, Simple of Clean did captivate me and I love it. BUT SANCTUARY??? Obsessed. And then Ray of Hope... my god it's PERFECT

Uhhhhh

Back