• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

No one likes Sora

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KeybladeMasterJr

Awards

From what I heard, it seems Tetsuya Nomura wanted Kairi as the main character and to have Sora die either in the begging or during the series but since KH3, it seems he got his wish, I mean why dose everyone hate Sora so much? First he was the delivery boy, then everyone gets a keyblade and now Tetsuya Nomura said Sora isn’t even that Special? Like what the Hell I love Sora! He gives up everything for his friends, he even gave up his own life! Remember how he freed Kairis heart in KH1? That’s the Sora I know and love and all of you should to and appreciate him!

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Honestly I'd take everything cynical/thegamersjoint says with a grain of salt. He's not exactly, to put it nicely, accurate in his assumptions, mostly because others get to the news first before him and he's just parroting. He's fun to listen to, but not all the time.

As for the Sora bashing in the fandom, it's more like a weird case of being pathetically hipster (hating the mainstream in this case the protag, rage currency, a lot of other reasons that are basically bull, etc.), hybristophilia (preference of Riku or Roxas), among other things. In my opinion, he's a good character, but I will say some of his elements are badly written. Case in point, the guy can slice buildings and jump-fly impossible distances, but when his friends take a hit, he's all tears and declares himself useless. Like, what the hell, hero? I like Sora, but the writing needs improvement, and above all, consistent development.

About Nomura, hmm, well, he did say he once liked Sora, but as the story developed, he leaned more towards MX, perhaps because he finds writing villains and exploring their motives fun? Still, he did say that Sora will always be the main character of the series, and we can safely say this will ring true even as we move past the foreteller saga and beyond that.

D

Deleted member 252753

In my opinion, he's a good character, but I will say some of his elements are badly written. Case in point, the guy can slice buildings and jump-fly impossible distances, but when his friends take a hit, he's all tears and declares himself useless. Like, what the hell, hero? I like Sora, but the writing needs improvement, and above all, consistent development.
I personally think that's the most interesting thing about Sora's character and is something which is pretty consistent from KH1 onwards through to 3 (I think you can see the story building to Sora's crisis of self-belief from his conversations with Xigbar in DDD then in KH3 Olympus), which did have Sora having to believe in himself to save his friends. For me, there being a negative side to his 'my friends are my power' mantra is what makes him more than just a bland cartoon protagonist.

Foxycian

Awards
Thats what makes Sora special tho, Nomura said Sora is meant to be ordinary kid that achieved the impossible and rises higher then everyone, he said he made him ordinary boy so everyone could relate to him, and just like him they can hope to rise higher and achieve their goals even if the obstacles seem impossible, but also like Sora we have to accept the success and loss we meet along the way, despite all that we still have to endure it and keep moving forward.

the red monster

Awards
I like sora as a character, but as a main character he's too bland for my liking. but it's pretty common thing in games/movies, which is why i usually prefer the villain.

Need more "heros" like cloud.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sora needs more personal motivation. He didn't have a lot to settle with Xehanort, but when he was trying with all his heart to get Kairi back in ReMind, we saw glimpses of what Sora can be like when he's going after something he personally wants.

Otherwise, he's perfect as the main character to Kingdom Hearts. As a Disney game, it can never commit to the brooding tone that a lot of people desire, and that makes it more unique. People don't hate Sora, they hate when Sora meanders toward a goal that doesn't mean anything to him. He didn't care about the Mark of Mastery, and he didn't care (personally) about Xehanort. That's where the frustration comes from.

When dealing with personal matters? Show us the Sora from Re:Mind/Chain of Memories. Passionate, headstrong, relentless, and empathetic. When adventuring, give us Sora from KH3, with a sense of fun and curiosity and a zest for new experiences. Aqua wouldn't be excited to meet Santa Claus. Riku doesn't jump up and down at the idea of being a pirate. Roxas probably wouldn't know how to make Boo laugh. These adventures need a certain type of character.

If anything, we need more main characters who can mesh with the Disney stuff. Kairi really shouldn't go on an adventure with Riku, she should go on an adventure with Donald and Goofy. We need to build up a more varied roster so the games don't have to feel so segmented.

Foxycian

Awards
I like sora as a character, but as a main character he's too bland for my liking. but it's pretty common thing in games/movies, which is why i usually prefer the villain.

Need more "heros" like cloud.
We had plenty of cool silent edgy heroes like cloud, imo we need heroes like Zidane or terra/Tina branford.

the red monster

Awards
We had plenty of cool silent edgy heroes like cloud, imo we need heroes like Zidane or terra/Tina branford.
FF7R and XV are the only FF games i played, so i don't know much about the characters you mentioned.
terra looks fire tho.

Foxycian

Awards
FF7R and XV are the only FF games i played, so i don't know much about the characters you mentioned.
terra looks fire tho.
Terra is the main character of final fantasy 6 which is considered by many fans to be the best Final fantasy, it usually competes with final fantasy 7 final fantasy 10 and final fantasy 14 as the best FF.

Last edited:

KeybladeMasterJr

Awards
You guys are all missing the point, the reason why his character design is so bad to some of you is because of the lack of interest in his character development by Tetsuya Nomura, He wanted Sora to die by KH3 but what he doesn’t understand is Sora means more to us then he realize, Sora isn’t just a game character to me, he’s my hero, he showed me growing up what it means to follow your heart and to be a kid untouched by the corruption of this world and pushing back the darkness of reality that I was going to be alone but I CAN MAKE FRIENDS! And we should all say something to Tetsuya Nomura that please don’t kill Sora, just make Kairi a playable character who’s story can still be told along side the Hero, NOT TO KILL HIM OFF

SweetYetSalty

Awards
As far as I'm concerned Sora is the perfect main protagonist for Kingdom Hearts, even if he's not my number one favorite (That's Roxas) Just to echo what @Launchpad and @Dast said, Sora meshes perfectly with Disney characters. Even in Disney worlds I don't like going to, one of the things that is most consistent is Sora. The other main characters have moments with Disney elements but I can't see any of them carrying a Disney plot like Sora can.

I also like that they gave Sora's "my friends are my power" a weakness. Kingdom Hearts has a very strong fighting alongside your friends makes you invincible message, but they were smart to start using that against the main cast and showing there are downsides to it as well. Not all the games did it well, but KH3 nailed it with Sora, making sure to show Sora is OP but not without his own flaws and weaknesses.

ReMind Sora is probably Sora at his best, because he had a goal and was serious in achieving it. It was personal as well, and wasn't wiped from him like COM was. Again Sora isn't my absolute favorite, but he is way better then some give him credit for.

disney233

Awards
I mean, in any case it's not like Sora being killed off will be a permanent thing. Death in this series is completely meaningless.

Henryp

Awards
Sora in KH1, COM, and KH2 was pretty good. Afterwards he’s unbearable.

Gotta disagree wtih you on that one. For the most part, KH2 Sora was second-to-last the worst characterization of him. The computer in RG, fist fighting in Land of Dragons, his reaction to the two Petes are a few examples on how shonen-type Sora became after CoM. He is not naive, he is just one-sided dumd. He never reflects on things like "why was I sleeping for a year?", "why there is only a few of the 13 members of the organization?", "why everyone calls me Roxas?". Worst offender is the revelation of Organization plans at RG. He expends ONE TIME thinking "maybe I can't use my keyblade because I'll be helping them" and he forgets about it for the rest of the series. Gotta say that DDD Sora is the dumbest though.

Back to the topic. I think Sora is pretty lovable and many people actually like him. Thing is, every other KH main character with the exception of Kairi have had a more dramatic character arc. Most of them are not better written than Sora, but the atmosphere in which their storyline is play out is more compelling due to the drama or the mystery. Like said before, Sora is the perfect blend between the different characteristics that make KH. And for many, me included, going back to SDG as the major party in KH3 had a feeling of going back home. I also see progress and evolution in his character in 3/RM, so I hope he will get further characterization to make not only a lovable, dumby protagonist, but an interesting character to follow.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Not at all. Him getting killed off was more of a result of Nomura telling everyone KH3’s ending years in advance like an idiot. That said, I could not believe my eyes when I read that Nomura considers Sora his ‘enemy’. Like what the actual hell?

It's because Nomura had lost sight of what a character like Sora is. In the past he used to stay he saw a lot of himself and what he wanted to be in Sora, and then after the whole Versus XIII thing, he completely flipped and said he relates to Xehanort above the rest.

I think this is why Nomura has "killed" Sora. Sora represented something Nomura could not embody at the time he was working on KH3 because he was so cynical and broken down by everything going on around him. Nomura seems to have gotten better over the years now that he has FF7R to focus on and Tabata is gone from SE.

ReMind giving us a more interesting version of Sora is enough proof to me that Nomura has regained a bit of what he felt like he lost so long ago, and I doubt today he'd say Sora is his enemy.

Also, he is actively molding Sora into the character he's probably more comfortable writing with Sora's "death" and confrontation with Yozora. I think we'll see this period of KH as a turning point for Sora's character. He'll still probably be the same happy-go-lucky character we've always known, but I think we are definitely going to see a more grounded Sora that mirrors what we saw of him in CoM.

Last edited:

KeybladeMasterJr

Awards
It's because Nomura had lost sight of what a character like Sora is. In the past he used to stay he saw a lot of himself and what he wanted to be in Sora, and then after the whole Versus XIII thing, he completely flipped and said he relates to Xehanort above the rest.

I think this is why Nomura has "killed" Sora. Sora represented something Nomura could not embody at the time he was working on KH3 because he was so cynical and broken down by everything going on around him. Nomura seems to have gotten better over the years now that he has FF7R to focus on and Tabata is gone from SE.

ReMind giving us a more interesting version of Sora is enough proof to me that Nomura has regained a bit of what he felt like he lost so long ago, and I doubt today he'd say Sora is his enemy.

Also, he is actively melding Sora into the character he's probably more comfortable writing with Sora's "death" and confrontation with Yozora. I think we'll see this period of KH as a turning point for Sora's character. He'll still probably be the same happy-go-lucky character we've always known, but I think we are definitely going to see a more grounded Sora that mirrors what we saw of him in CoM.
I hope so because my wife is upset they are trying to kill him off

Back