• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road, Chapter 1: Unexpected Departure

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Watch the story scenes from KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road, Chapter 1: Unexpected Departure!

We'll be uploading videos from both the Japanese (translated) and Global versions, so be sure to bookmark our playlists and check back whenever the story updates! 

Update 7/9/2020: JP-translated videos are now up, translations via goldpanner

ENGLISH

JP-TRANSLATED

Last edited:

Eonstar890

Awards
I literally just finished ch 1. Perfect timing :D

Was not expecting that ending but can’t say I’m surprised by what we saw there. There’s no way the others were just wondering around this whole time.

also given the four sets of flowers does this mean the mysterious Baldr still lives..?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The 'lack of NPC' lore confuses me a little. Since Xehanort is in Agrabah about 70-odd years before Sora, how does that work with the Aladdin lore (which KH1 adopted) where Genie had been trapped in the lamp for 200 years. Agrabah is one of the worlds that are slowly rebuilding from the Keyblade War, which we were led to believe happened a long time prior to Dark Road (surely more than 200 years?) so Genie wouldn't have had a master longer than 200 years so my guess, for Genie coming back into Agrabah from the darkness, it might have felt like no time had passed at all to him even though it had been centuries.

I'm no doubt mis-remembering details like if Genie had actually said it's been 200 years since he was out as it's been 3 years since I last played KH1 but I'm curious if this was an oversight or not. I know Genie said he's lucky to get out every century or two but I could swear there was a text bubble or something that specified 200 years.

Y'know, I'm probably just over thinking it. Yay Disney worlds, woo Xehanort's World Tour.

disney233

Awards
The 'lack of NPC' lore confuses me a little. Since Xehanort is in Agrabah about 70-odd years before Sora, how does that work with the Aladdin lore (which KH1 adopted) where Genie had been trapped in the lamp for 200 years. Agrabah is one of the worlds that are slowly rebuilding from the Keyblade War, which we were led to believe happened a long time prior to Dark Road (surely more than 200 years?) so Genie wouldn't have had a master longer than 200 years so my guess, for Genie coming back into Agrabah from the darkness, it might have felt like no time had passed at all to him even though it had been centuries.

I'm no doubt mis-remembering details like if Genie had actually said it's been 200 years since he was out as it's been 3 years since I last played KH1 but I'm curious if this was an oversight or not. I know Genie said he's lucky to get out every century or two but I could swear there was a text bubble or something that specified 200 years.

Y'know, I'm probably just over thinking it. Yay Disney worlds, woo Xehanort's World Tour.
200?
c44ab26bfdd0a54e03fc8c6eb32e69cd.png

Genie has no reason to be excluded in Agrabah, really. He's an ancient being older than time itself. MOST ancient beings in the Disney Lore shouldn't either....but it's Disney. Too much to ask for them to be apart of the main story.

disney233

Awards
I thought KH1 specified 200 years. Imma see if I can find this.
I know, I know. Just saying, 200 is being generous, here. The dude's older than time itself. I'm sure he encountered SOME Masters.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I know, I know. Just saying, 200 is being generous, here. The dude's older than time itself. I'm sure he encountered SOME Masters.
Ah, all good. I thought you were questioning the 200 number. But you're right, Genie, being what he is, should be above the regular residents and should have been brought back earlier in a world's restoration, surely.

And I found the speech bubble. It's not that he was last out 200 years ago, just he last heard of keyholes 200 odd years ago.

RtYj6MtJQ2MAtO1EHfjIfaGKBGKNRmcYgHTUx02s9LM.png

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Damn, the ending of this episode was dark and unexpected. It made sense because there had to have been an explanation as to why you don't see these characters walking around 75 years later (unless they're just far away and retired), but with all of those graves... What in the world happened, I wonder. Couldn't be a Keyblade War because that's what Xehanort wanted to accomplish in BBS, and Eraqus is sympathetic with him.

Hopefully the episodes are as long as this one, if not slightly longer if we're doing monthly updates just like UX. Hire some damn Flash animators, Square.

200?
View attachment 12758

Genie has no reason to be excluded in Agrabah, really. He's an ancient being older than time itself. MOST ancient beings in the Disney Lore shouldn't either....but it's Disney. Too much to ask for them to be apart of the main story.

I mean to be fair, it's the first episode of how many we might be getting. If they're going through the trouble of explaining why time moves differently in different worlds (we sorta came to this conclusion due to DDD) and why people wouldn't be there, maybe they'll touch on that too. Cause he and King Triton clearly know more about the Keyblade and all that comes with them more than they touched on in KH1. In fact, I'd wager all of the Gods in Olympus would also know too.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

The way they talk about people being restored, I think the worlds are returning to how they were before the Keyblade War, just separated from each other. Anyone who was alive in these worlds will be brought back where they left off with no recollection of the worlds ever being destroyed. So characters like Genie most likely existed before the Keyblade War and eventually they’ll reappear and time will start moving forward for them again.

Hirokey123

Awards
Here is how I took it chaser, the world is like a video game.

For example Master Xehanort in his universe is an 80 year old man and has lived a life of 80 years. But in reality that's all false, he's a video game character he was only created 10 years ago and is only 10 years old, his memories just make him think he lived 80 years. So it seems that roughly 80 years ago the worlds were still being in the process of recompleted but once its finished all those recreated people like Aladdin will have the memories of their whole life, believing themselves to be say 40 or 60 or 20 or whatever even though they may have only been recreated recently.

Which brings a much bigger question, what is recreating the worlds in the first place and how long has this been going on? Are these worlds being recreated from just the the war that destroyed the world in UX? Or has this happened again and again and again? Is that's why Luxu and the others of their age didn't know about the keyblade war that MoM fought in? Is the world in some kind of endless loop where its destroyed and recreated again and again? If that's true does Xehanort know that?

Like is the state of the world that it will always be destroyed but then some I dunno cosmic supercomputer recreates the missing worlds from a blueprint of sorts like the BoP. Is that's what is in the box, the system that recreates the world unable to stop the oblivion but at least prevent it from being the total end...and is this system what Xehanort was ultimately trying to free us from. To start the world over and free it from this ruined failed state that can only progress so far before it resets.

And if so is the recreation identical each time or is it like how every time we visit a different version of the same world the events always varies a bit. With each recreation new things are born, new people who weren't part of the previous cycle?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The way they talk about people being restored, I think the worlds are returning to how they were before the Keyblade War, just separated from each other. Anyone who was alive in these worlds will be brought back where they left off with no recollection of the worlds ever being destroyed. So characters like Genie most likely existed before the Keyblade War and eventually they’ll reappear and time will start moving forward for them again.
I thought the same thing and agree with all of this but at the same time I need Nomura to confirm it in canon because if he's going to be mucking around with lore like this, and often leaves this kind of lore outside of the games, then I'm going to remain skeptical that he thought of this prior to the episode releasing lol

zander1995

Awards
I think the "restoration" is more metaphorical, and not a literal restoration of the worlds as they once were. Otherwise the whole "visiting data copies of future worlds" in X/UX would be kind of redundant.

Seems more like it's the creation of new worlds from the remnants of the old, with new people being born into those worlds, with new identities and lives. (Whether they are spontaneously born with full memories or not remains to be seen).

Each of the worlds functions on its own timeline separate from all other worlds, so 200 years for Genie in Agrabah could be a few decades in Scala, or decades in Scala could be a few years in Agrabah.

It's best just to view the worlds like separate universes rather than literal singular worlds.

Edit: Also I'm completely expecting Yen Sid to be Baldur.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Well, there's not as unique as you'd think, since they're just slightly altered versions of the Union armor:

op4yNhIDu

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I think the "restoration" is more metaphorical, and not a literal restoration of the worlds as they once were. Otherwise the whole "visiting data copies of future worlds" in X/UX would be kind of redundant.

Seems more like it's the creation of new worlds from the remnants of the old, with new people being born into those worlds, with new identities and lives. (Whether they are spontaneously born with full memories or not remains to be seen).

Each of the worlds functions on its own timeline separate from all other worlds, so 200 years for Genie in Agrabah could be a few decades in Scala, or decades in Scala could be a few years in Agrabah.

It's best just to view the worlds like separate universes rather than literal singular worlds.

Edit: Also I'm completely expecting Yen Sid to be Baldur.

The differing flow of time could definitely explain it away.

That said, wasn’t it established that they project the future worlds because the actual locations in the present were too far away to travel to and lacked the presence of Heartless? So the Disney locales could still have existed prior to the Keyblade War without causing the projected and data worlds to be redundant.

zander1995

Awards
The differing flow of time could definitely explain it away.

That said, wasn’t it established that they project the future worlds because the actual locations in the present were too far away to travel to and lacked the presence of Heartless? So the Disney locales could still have existed prior to the Keyblade War without causing the projected and data worlds to be redundant.
I think the only one that definitively exists is Wreck It Ralph's world. They say there are other worlds that are too far to reach, but they never seem to act like the Future Worlds are actual worlds existing in their time period. It's obviously just an excuse to reuse environments, characters, and locations from previous games in the series, but if they wanted the worlds to exist during that time, they could have just said they did and been done with it without the need for the whole data world confusion, or even just said that the data worlds are based on real worlds that exist.

Zahnpaste

At the beginning of the game, they explain that each world start from a different starting point and has a different time flow.
So that could for instance mean, that 1 day on Destiny Islands is equal as 1 year on Agrabah.
(Although, this open some other issues: If Sora visits one world, make friends and goes away, wouldn't there be the risk that Sora's friend would have been turned old when he is returning to this world?)

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
At the beginning of the game, they explain that each world start from a different starting point and has a different time flow.
So that could for instance mean, that 1 day on Destiny Islands is equal as 1 year on Agrabah.
(Although, this open some other issues: If Sora visits one world, make friends and goes away, wouldn't there be the risk that Sora's friend would have been turned old when he is returning to this world?)

Hmmm... I think in the cases we've seen so far, every world Sora's been to flows more or less about the same. The Realm of Darkness obviously doesn't have time flowing normally there for whatever reason, but Sora so far hasn't had to worry about going to say, Twilight Town a year ago and to the citizens there, he's been gone for 50 years. However, this actually may explain why Eraqus looks way younger than Xehanort does, despite being around the same age. But now that Dark Road has brought this into the lore, going forward, there may be instances in where time flows differently in different worlds and it's drastic enough for Sora to pick up on.

If Sora were to ever end up in a situation like that though, that's probably when the World Order thing kinda kicks in and Donald's magic would likely accommodate for the time passed since their last visit.

Hatredboy

Awards
Website
www.deviantart.com
I wish somebody gotta port those amazing new characters to meshmod or custom models for XPS ( Xnalara Posing Studio) someday!

Back