• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► New Kingdom Hearts 3 Re:Mind DLC trailer, Release Dates Announced

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

redcrown

Awards
I have no external attachment to the FF characters EXCEPT their role in Kingdom Hearts. I know the bare minimum about their real characters.

Same here, I've never played any FF games and yet I still felt their absence heavily in KH3. They've felt as integral to Sora's journey to me as Donald and Goofy, especially in KH1. So even though it was immensely disappointing that they weren't in the base game and replaced with the lifeless exposition dumper Zexion and the unneeded apprentices plot, I still can't help but feel stupid happy that they'll finally be apart of the game at all. Also the fact that this time they'll get to finally meet Riku and help him on his journey in finding Sora is a nice change of pace from their arcs of always helping Sora on his journeys.

So, several questions about the DLC. Has SE responded at all to this accidental leak? Since it was supposed to be unveiled at a later date, when can we expect to be able to pre order it? And what exact parts of the DLC will be considered the Limit, Remind, and extra gameplay/photo modes? Basically I'm asking when can we expect the specifics of the DLC and their whole or individual details be officially explained.

GreyouTT

Awards
I glanced at it.
Nice to know this is something else the Power of Waking does to people.

It's not the Power of Waking, it's the actual Time Travel.

Was excising Namine from the main plot completely and giving her zero personal development also a "development oversight?"

No, that's a "not enough time" thing.

"Your backstory is we have no idea who you are but we'll make up something a game or two from now while wasting space in this installment baking in vague exposition about shit that doesn't matter for the story that's currently being told."
They pretty clearly already have a plan for what they are, it's the exact sort of thing they did with Xigbar alluding to BbS in 2.

You, rather counterintuitively, only proved my point. Nomura should have had enough planning put into this project that when things got derailed, he would still have a strong, core concept to build on and fold in the essential elements. Instead, he wrote a story about a box. And it was a bad story.
The box isn't even the main focus, it's gathering the seven lights and meeting for the war. Honestly I feel like some of DDD's events and plots would have been part of this game had vs13 gone as planned originally.

"one of the more well implemented worlds" in KH3 is such a backhanded compliment. Only KH2 sets the bar lower.

I meant it was a world that was actually meshed well with the plot and wasn't a very badly done retread of a film that the gang barely participated in or not at all. (We can blame the teams they had to work with for that, but it's still dumb that it happened.)

Neither has Kairi.
Kairi has the benefit of being a main character, unlike the FF cast. =/

The development staff obviously thought there was time enough.
To get the overall game done, sure. They clearly didn't have enough time to do everything they wanted though.

Well I flipping do. The story is empty without them, and it's not as if we got something substituted in their place that really energized the game's narrative. In fact, it's the opposite. The entire act that should have included them got dropped, so there's this bloated, endless, sagging procession of Disney world husks dumped in the middle of this game. Then there's an hour of plot shouting and shuffling bad guys off stage right and it's over.

I don't think they would have been relevant enough to warrant an entire act in the first place though. They really don't have a lot of relation to this plotline like they did in 1, nor is there a reason for their home to be in danger like in 2. I feel like it would have been just as long as what Re+Mind gives us.

And that hasn't dramatically effected the end products for most of the games in the series because the purpose they serve as prequels, bridges, and filler is fundamentally different than KH3's role as a culmination of ideas and themes which represents the last chance to use this legacy's motif in the ways its critics have outlined. You only get to end a story once. KH3 is less about the story it was ending than the story that has Nomura's attention now; even the ReMind trailer makes that apparent.
The other ones weren't as affected by Disney as this one though. I still hold to it that if Vs13 had gone as planned, we wouldn't have had all the plot saved for 3 spread out across DDD, 0.2, and 3. Re:Coded was a perfect interquel that wouldn't have had 3 require as much plot knowledge or build up like CoM did.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I originally missed that Kairi's Meteor attack seems to be her shotlock.

It's interesting that with the currently given info on the playable characters in this DLC, she's gotten a shotlock. So far only Aqua and Sora, who both have more play time (counting 0.2) have them, wonder if this means something or if Roxas and Riku, will receive some too. Part of me hopes she gets some more play time than just the bossfight, but I'll be happy either way.

Also is anyone else hoping that we'll get a SRK fight and a team move, like Aqua and Ven or RAX have?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
So, several questions about the DLC. Has SE responded at all to this accidental leak? Since it was supposed to be unveiled at a later date, when can we expect to be able to pre order it? And what exact parts of the DLC will be considered the Limit, Remind, and extra gameplay/photo modes? Basically I'm asking when can we expect the specifics of the DLC and their whole or individual details be officially explained.

They haven't said anything, but it's likely this was scheduled to be unveiled during the State of Play on Tuesday.

Hopefully Famitsu or whoever will have a spread on Re:Mind in an upcoming issue and go over what exactly it is in detail, but at this moment, we have no idea when we can expect actual concrete info.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
They haven't said anything, but it's likely this was scheduled to be unveiled during the State of Play on Tuesday.

Hopefully Famitsu or whoever will have a spread on Re:Mind in an upcoming issue and go over what exactly it is in detail, but at this moment, we have no idea when we can expect actual concrete info.

I'm willing to bet that we were supposed to get maybe an interview on Tuesday when the trailer dropped. (I'm acting under the assumption that this is what the plan is.) Or if not the Tuesday when the State of Play happens, it's within a couple days later.

...You know, I just had an idea: What if the State of Play trailer we end up getting (if indeed this was the plan) ends up being different from the leaked trailer that we saw? The State of Play stream is December 10th, and the trailer leaked on the 6th. A trailer leaking four days out from its possible actual showing date is a pretty lengthy period of time, and it's already out there in the wild. It's also sorta weird that Square hasn't really said anything nor hasn't sent out the ninjas to axe the re-uploads. So... Maybe?

Of course, it's a pretty huge stretch so it's most likely not the case, but what if? Plus I'm sure they could do something in four days. Either way though, I'd be happy to see the trailer officially being released at its proper time.

Megavoltage

Awards
I want to know what's happened to Zack after that tease at the end of BbS.
Yeah, I need this. I'm stoked that the Radiant Garden Restoration Committee has returned, it'll be great interacting with them again. But what I really need is the Sephiroth subplot to be cleared up. Maybe I'm being greedy now and maybe it's outright impossible to fit it into the story but If I could also get a BBS crew reunion with Zack...
Also is anyone else hoping that we'll get a SRK fight and a team move, like Aqua and Ven or RAX have?
Hoping indeed. Vanilla KH3 didn't have enough team moves.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm willing to bet that we were supposed to get maybe an interview on Tuesday when the trailer dropped. (I'm acting under the assumption that this is what the plan is.) Or if not the Tuesday when the State of Play happens, it's within a couple days later.

...You know, I just had an idea: What if the State of Play trailer we end up getting (if indeed this was the plan) ends up being different from the leaked trailer that we saw? The State of Play stream is December 10th, and the trailer leaked on the 6th. A trailer leaking four days out from its possible actual showing date is a pretty lengthy period of time, and it's already out there in the wild. It's also sorta weird that Square hasn't really said anything nor hasn't sent out the ninjas to axe the re-uploads. So... Maybe?

Of course, it's a pretty huge stretch so it's most likely not the case, but what if? Plus I'm sure they could do something in four days. Either way though, I'd be happy to see the trailer officially being released at its proper time.
I've been wondering that myself. There is the chance that they might try and tweak it to be a bit more unique, but I honestly doubt they'll bother to show more, seeing the DLC probably doesn't have too many secrets left. Feel we got a glimps of everything.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I've been wondering that myself. There is the chance that they might try and tweak it to be a bit more unique, but I honestly doubt they'll bother to show more, seeing the DLC probably doesn't have too many secrets left. Feel we got a glimps of everything.

Yeah, the last thing they want to do is make the same mistake they did around this time last year with the Final Battle Trailer and show way too much. But there could be differences in locations they show and different battle scenes, like maybe showing different Kairi abilities besides her Shotlock, or showing off Radiant Garden exploration (if this is a thing). Showing off the Photo Mode would be a great idea since we haven't seen that yet. Honestly with how much of a hit the trailer is already, they've already knocked it out of the park, so anything more would be above and beyond.

Although, what I noticed is that they never put the release dates in the trailer, it just said "Pre-Order Now". We know when it was uploaded that in the description it stated that the DLC for PS4 will come on January 23rd 2020, and for Xbox One about a month later. If the trailer was meant for the State of Play, this makes sense as it would just be said via stream "Play it first on PS4." But, an actual uploaded trailer would (and should) have both dates for both consoles, otherwise there's going to be confusion all-around. So maybe... There might be little changes here and there anyway. Or (and this one is a stretch) the trailer we saw wasn't the fully finished one, and that one was uploaded by accident.

I think it was meant for the State of Play though, because if it was meant for Jump Festa, that's what, two weeks away, give or take? They'd be better off just dropping it now in that case. But if it was originally meant for the 10th... Four days later isn't that unrealistic, and it's great PR for when the trailer drops for real. All the major KH YouTubers are waiting until Tuesday out of respect for Square, so they really win here either way.

2 quid is good

Awards
Does anyone know who's voicing Aerith and Yozora, btw? A lot of people say Ray Chase for Yozora... which would only be too fitting, and it sort of sounds like him, but I also feel it's slightly off?
For Aerith the closest match I can think of is Andrea Bowen but its more likely to be someone new, and for Yozora I'm strongly leaning to Crispin Freeman

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
So Xigbar would have been a good guy this entire time? Not sure if I would like that to be honest. He did some pretty heinous things throughout his life

All of the original members of Organization XIII have committed heinous acts throughout their lives. Granted, it's various degrees of heinous but they all acted immoral and selfish in their own ways.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
All of the original members of Organization XIII have committed heinous acts throughout their lives. Granted, it's various degrees of heinous but they all acted immoral and selfish in their own ways.

Yeah. If by "good" we're talking about alongside the Guardians of Light, then no, because Xigbar has opposed Sora and co. both physically and idealogy-wise on numerous occasions. He also doesn't seem to be that nice of a guy anyway. But if we're talking about "good" as in the greater good for the universe at-large, then it really depends on what the Master of Master's grand plan actually is.

Sora, however, touches on this at the end of KH3 when Xehanort also felt the need to take matters into his own hands: "Even so, you're not that person, Xehanort." The whole "ends justifying the means" way of thinking is always a slippery slope, because who is Xehanort to decide how things should be? Xehanort had no respect for human life and was quite cruel. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and Xehanort only needed a whiff of it before he started getting corrupted.

Xigbar (other than the Master of Masters himself) is probably the only one that knows nearly everything that's going on, and look how he acts. Even if it was absolutely necessary, he'd still be an anti-hero at best (unless he has a really compelling redemption arc).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I have to be honest and say it is a double-edged sword for me.

On one hand I do appreciate that Nomura and SE seem to take feedback into account and bring many of the often asked for features into play and at least add some more screen time to characters not named Sora yet on the other, all development problems aside it does feel like certain parts especially where it concerns the main story should have been part of the original game to begin with.

One is tempted to believe that SE might have learned from the mess that was FF XIII-2 and FF XV but apparently it wasn't the case or we wouldn't thread the same road with KH 3 now.
Granted, we had a similar case with KH 2 vanilla and KH 2 Final Mix so one may argue that these "Final Mixes" are also a staple when it comes to the KH series as a whole.

That being all said, I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the direction the KH series is going. All the whole worldlines-stuff combined with time travel seems to get over many people's heads and makes understanding the bigger picture even more difficult.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It's not the Power of Waking, it's the actual Time Travel.
I'm going to be pedantic and point out that it actually doesn't matter. Both are vague, unreliable plot devices that Nomura has deliberately avoiding committing to any kind of legible explanation or hard rule structure. That's KH for you, it's par for the course with this series. The real problem, again, is that this isn't going to materially move the needle in terms of providing characters with a sense of presence and relevance that is already absent from the existing, core narrative. It's smoke and mirrors.

No, that's a "not enough time" thing.
Feels more like a "writing is hard" thing.

They pretty clearly already have a plan for what they are, it's the exact sort of thing they did with Xigbar alluding to BbS in 2.
You're missing the point. Xigbar had one throwaway line referencing "other wielders" in KH2, so not only was less time spent on it, but it also wasn't his entire reason for being present in that title. He had a role to play in KH2 that progressed the storyline of KH2; Larxene and Marluxia don't progress anything in KH3. They don't even effectively meddle in the Disney worlds. Luxord chases a box that might as well not exist because it ultimately has zero bearing on the events of KH3. Demyx really goes for broke and does exactly one superficially plot-relevant thing and then is never heard from again.

But there's not enough time to give Namine a story arc.

The box isn't even the main focus, it's gathering the seven lights and meeting for the war. Honestly I feel like some of DDD's events and plots would have been part of this game had vs13 gone as planned originally.
KH3 doesn't have a main focus, it has various undirected story threads that lead in circles, having either no resolution or resolutions which are completed with checklist expediency, reserving only the barest hints of emotionality from previous and better games. Nomura carved out the material from DDD because he apparently believed a plot with 1 1/2 Acts and a paucity of character interaction was too much to handle in combination with a title that offers basically those same stunning points of strength. His explanation, not mine.

I meant it was a world that was actually meshed well with the plot and wasn't a very badly done retread of a film that the gang barely participated in or not at all.
Again, proving my point.

Kairi has the benefit of being a main character
Coulda fooled me.

To get the overall game done, sure. They clearly didn't have enough time to do everything they wanted though.
This isn't a time issue. Nomura has made it clear the FF characters were cut because he felt they were no longer relevant to the KH brand. Not even that they weren't relevant to the story, just that they didn't capture a unique enough market because now FF is in everything unlike Disney haha oh wait.

I don't think they would have been relevant enough to warrant an entire act in the first place though. They really don't have a lot of relation to this plotline like they did in 1, nor is there a reason for their home to be in danger like in 2.
The more natural storyline is the one in which they are made relevant through decent writing and direction. I know that Nomura chose not to make the obvious, logical choice here. We all do. That's the critique.

The other ones weren't as affected by Disney as this one though. I still hold to it that if Vs13 had gone as planned, we wouldn't have had all the plot saved for 3 spread out across DDD, 0.2, and 3. Re:Coded was a perfect interquel that wouldn't have had 3 require as much plot knowledge or build up like CoM did.
That's probably a feasible theory, but KH3's issues run deeper than a glorified tutorial and a bottom-tier filler arc can cover. That's why this DLC won't do the trick, either. It'll throw in a few extra fireworks and service the fan craving for a skirmish with Sephiroth (keepin' that sweet dream alive) while leaving all the meat for Luxbar and not!Noctis to chew on. Sora's already warned Kairi about getting in the way of the main plot before, I'm sure he won't hesitate to do so again here.

I do think it's funny that SE's MO for handling leaks is to issue total radio silence (even when it's their own internal bungling that led to it). This really is a callback to KH3's pre-release marketing.

Ryuman

Awards
Website
twitter.com
You're missing the point. Xigbar had one throwaway line referencing "other wielders" in KH2, so not only was less time spent on it, but it also wasn't his entire reason for being present in that title. He had a role to play in KH2 that progressed the storyline of KH2; Larxene and Marluxia don't progress anything in KH3. They don't even effectively meddle in the Disney worlds. Luxord chases a box that might as well not exist because it ultimately has zero bearing on the events of KH3. Demyx really goes for broke and does exactly one superficially plot-relevant thing and then is never heard from again.
What did Luxord do in KH2 other than say "Parlay" and steal some medallions to pad out an extra scenario for a second Port Royale visit?

Coulda fooled me.
Kairi was more important than contrived reason to include the Radiant Garden gang. You just don't like how she was important. And that's fine! Plenty of people weren't. But that's besides the point. The two have nothing to do with each other. You're just holding her up because it was something you didn't like and are attempting to use it to justify something you wanted.

This isn't a time issue. Nomura has made it clear the FF characters were cut because he felt they were no longer relevant to the KH brand. Not even that they weren't relevant to the story, just that they didn't capture a unique enough market because now FF is in everything unlike Disney haha oh wait.
Well... duh. He felt they weren't relevant. Therefore they weren't prioritised. Therefore they weren't given time. That's how dev works. He saw a factor they were working on and chose to cut it. You're essentially criticising him for (albeit small-scale) planning, something you clearly think he isn't properly capable of, because he made a decision you didn't like.
I do think it's funny that SE's MO for handling leaks is to issue total radio silence (even when it's their own internal bungling that led to it). This really is a callback to KH3's pre-release marketing.
I mean, what's the point in acknowledging it? It's not even a SE thing, very few places would speak up about it. It's not like anything serious happened anyway. Everyone's seen it, not like talking about it will do anything but make them look stupid. To ask for anything else would basically be a want for drama. This was probably for State of Play and they have some deal with Sony. Not like they could just throw their hands up and release the trailer. That would just get them in trouble with Sony. When encountered with a very serious leak caused by illegal activity SE did in fact address it.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, the last thing they want to do is make the same mistake they did around this time last year with the Final Battle Trailer and show way too much. But there could be differences in locations they show and different battle scenes, like maybe showing different Kairi abilities besides her Shotlock, or showing off Radiant Garden exploration (if this is a thing). Showing off the Photo Mode would be a great idea since we haven't seen that yet. Honestly with how much of a hit the trailer is already, they've already knocked it out of the park, so anything more would be above and beyond.

Although, what I noticed is that they never put the release dates in the trailer, it just said "Pre-Order Now". We know when it was uploaded that in the description it stated that the DLC for PS4 will come on January 23rd 2020, and for Xbox One about a month later. If the trailer was meant for the State of Play, this makes sense as it would just be said via stream "Play it first on PS4." But, an actual uploaded trailer would (and should) have both dates for both consoles, otherwise there's going to be confusion all-around. So maybe... There might be little changes here and there anyway. Or (and this one is a stretch) the trailer we saw wasn't the fully finished one, and that one was uploaded by accident.

I think it was meant for the State of Play though, because if it was meant for Jump Festa, that's what, two weeks away, give or take? They'd be better off just dropping it now in that case. But if it was originally meant for the 10th... Four days later isn't that unrealistic, and it's great PR for when the trailer drops for real. All the major KH YouTubers are waiting until Tuesday out of respect for Square, so they really win here either way.
I think showcasing the Photo mode might be a good way to change up the trailer a bit if they wanted to do so, especially because we already know about it, but haven't seen it.

Regarding Xigbar being a good guy I'd say, he and the Master of Masters seem more morally grey or amoral than good or bad at the moment. We don't really know what the end goal is and perhaps their method is the only one that ends well.

That being all said, I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the direction the KH series is going. All the whole worldlines-stuff combined with time travel seems to get over many people's heads and makes understanding the bigger picture even more difficult.

Yeah as much as I enjoy these kinds of things, they really didn't feel necessary in KH. Especially considering how convoluted the series is already considered to be.

Kingdom Hearts still has enough unexplored concepts they could have expanded upon, instead of going into more obscure and hard to pull of tropes.

Time Travel wasn't needed for the showdown that we got. They could have just used replicas and data for all of the Seekers and we'd have gotten a similar result.

redcrown

Awards
The real problem, again, is that this isn't going to materially move the needle in terms of providing characters with a sense of presence and relevance that is already absent from the existing, core narrative.

I would argue this isn't the case, he does give significant narrative importance to a handful of the characters. It's just not the characters people keep begging them to be, mostly the female ones. It's been pretty self explanatory that he gives more attention and plot importance only to characters he personally has attachments to, everyone else is more or less just window dressing props and stand-ins to emphasize the core themes of the series (friendship, hearts living on beyond death as new forms of people, etc), or remnants of characters he initially was interested in when they were first created, but lost the drive to continue building up their arcs.

It's sort of why I've been baffled at people begging for Kairi to be given weight and agency in the story, when she really hasn't been since KH1. It's a bit obvious he doesn't really care for her beyond using her as a symbol for ideas. But to give him credit, he did listen to fans wishes regarding her being playable and given more of an active role in the upcoming story.

Back