• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sonic the Hedgehog

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I kinda wonder now if the Blu-Ray will come with an alternate cut with the 1st design. Just for the sake of novelty of seeing what it looked like in the rest of the film.
It's a possibility. Maybe a small behind the scenes documentary?

I'm for it. Embrace the monstrosity and keep people talking.
I mean, I'm of the opinion that Sonic's design was like a "Old Coke, New Coke, back to Old Coke" kind of thing.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
That really makes me think that the old design was a marketing stunt. Get people to talk about the purposefully bad design, and then "fix" it to garner hype.
I kind of doubt that since the film already had a set release date for this month before the first trailer came out

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I kind of doubt that since the film already had a set release date for this month before the first trailer came out
I mean, it's not like you can announce something and then delay it, like it happened. To be honest, one of two things happened:

1.) Sonic's design was purposedly bad for the sake of Marketing

2.) Paramount was really incompetent and stubborn.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I mean, it's not like you can announce something and then delay it, like it happened. To be honest, one of two things happened:

1.) Sonic's design was purposedly bad for the sake of Marketing

2.) Paramount was really incompetent and stubborn.
My point was that the first design was likely the intended one because of the initial release date instead of a marketing stunt

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
My point was that the first design was likely the intended one because of the initial release date instead of a marketing stunt
I know, but they could have purposely lied about the release date, unless we get info that it was truly the intended date because of cinema contacts.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Sometimes I like to believe that not everything is part of some scheme to create buzz/sells/clicks or whatever and that the only factor involved is good old-fashioned human dumbassery. Unless proven otherwise, that's the take I'm going with on this debacle.

Probably someone high up on the totempole really loved that design (or made it him/herself) and tried to enforce it... only for the initial reactions to give literally everyone else involved enough ammo to nix it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Sometimes I like to believe that not everything is part of some scheme to create buzz/sells/clicks or whatever and that the only factor involved is good old-fashioned human dumbassery. Unless proven otherwise, that's the take I'm going with on this debacle.

Probably someone high up on the totempole really loved that design (or made it him/herself) and tried to enforce it... only for the initial reactions to give literally everyone else involved enough ammo to nix it.
I'd like to think that Paramount honestly thought they nailed the design, and when met with fan reception, they were forced to get outside help..

Veevee

Awards

I'm completely with you on this. In my country, they often say "every kind of advertisement is an advertisement", meaning that even a bad reputation is better than none. I disagree. If I know nothing about a product, I can be convinced to like it and maybe buy it. If I only know negative stuff about a product, I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to change my mind and I'm almost sure not to buy it. So the Sonic movie kinda gets the "oh, they fixed it" bonus, but still has the "oh, they didn't think it needed to be fixed in the first place, so I'm really unsure about the quality in general" malus - yes, it did get my attention, but I can't believe that "oh god, what did you do" is the kind of attention one would need.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm completely with you on this. In my country, they often say "every kind of advertisement is an advertisement", meaning that even a bad reputation is better than none. I disagree. If I know nothing about a product, I can be convinced to like it and maybe buy it. If I only know negative stuff about a product, I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to change my mind and I'm almost sure not to buy it. So the Sonic movie kinda gets the "oh, they fixed it" bonus, but still has the "oh, they didn't think it needed to be fixed in the first place, so I'm really unsure about the quality in general" malus - yes, it did get my attention, but I can't believe that "oh god, what did you do" is the kind of attention one would need.
That's the argument of "any publicity is publicity". The point of that philosophy is that, literally, be it good or bad, as long as the brand gets attention, it's mission accomplish.

Veevee

Awards
That's the argument of "any publicity is publicity". The point of that philosophy is that, literally, be it good or bad, as long as the brand gets attention, it's mission accomplish.

Yeah and I don't really get that. I know quite a lot about Marketing and I will never accept this as a valid strategy because it is so hard to change a customer's views. If you start off on the wrong foot, it's quite hard to recover. It's like being this kid in school that everyone knows but hardly anyone likes.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Yeah and I don't really get that. I know quite a lot about Marketing and I will never accept this as a valid strategy because it is so hard to change a customer's views. If you start off on the wrong foot, it's quite hard to recover. It's like being this kid in school that everyone knows but hardly anyone likes.
It's just a philosophy. I like the content creation philosophy and value the artistic value behind creation, but there are some that want the easy way out. The early 2000's had a lot of that philosophy, what with pop stars and such.

But back on topic, lol. I'm honestly starting to think that Paramount screw up. Maybe they thought they should have made Sonic look as realistic as Detective Pikachu?

Veevee

Awards
But back on topic, lol. I'm honestly starting to think that Paramount screw up. Maybe they thought they should have made Sonic look as realistic as Detective Pikachu?

Personally, I feel that his model looks fine now, I actually fear they might make him too similar to Pikachu because that one was (commercially) successful. I watched the Pikachu movie, but I felt that the Ted / Deadpool-Pikachu was honestly hard to bear for a length of two hours, but admittedly it hit that "constantly blabbering, cute mascot" spot that I have a decent hate for. Sonic IS an arrogant blabbermouth in a lot of games, but still managed to have a lot of charme, so my biggest hope is that they balance that accordingly.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Personally, I feel that his model looks fine now, I actually fear they might make him too similar to Pikachu because that one was (commercially) successful. I watched the Pikachu movie, but I felt that the Ted / Deadpool-Pikachu was honestly hard to bear for a length of two hours, but admittedly it hit that "constantly blabbering, cute mascot" spot that I have a decent hate for. Sonic IS an arrogant blabbermouth in a lot of games, but still managed to have a lot of charme, so my biggest hope is that they balance that accordingly.
According to the trailer, he seems to resemble his Sonic X persona.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Really? What aspect of his iteration of X seemed boring to you? I actually loved X.
Mind you, I never watched that many episodes of SX because I found the show to be dull in general (& I watched them subbed, dubbed, & raw so it got a fair chance). It always stood out to me in the episodes I did watch how it often seemed more the Chris/Tails/Amy show with Sonic mostly just there to fight the robot of the week & not having much character to him past that.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Mind you, I never watched that many episodes of SX because I found the show to be dull in general (& I watched them subbed, dubbed, & raw so it got a fair chance). It always stood out to me in the episodes I did watch how it often seemed more the Chris/Tails/Amy show with Sonic mostly just there to fight the robot of the week & not having much character to him past that.
Hmmmmmmm..... good point. Maybe you should give it another go once it airs again on Netflix on December 1

Back