• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Headcanons

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Due to the can of worms that was opened afterwards, I break this franchise into two different continuities:
One that it's just KH1 - COM - KH2 and the other that covers everything.

D

Deleted member 246005

Due to the can of worms that was opened afterwards, I break this franchise into two different continuities:
One that it's just KH1 - COM - KH2 and the other that covers everything.
I tend to call the post kh2 era "the Xehanort saga" or the road to KH3 respectively.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I can't help but think Riku and Roxas hate each other lol.
Honestly, until shit actually gets resolved between them, they should (at least, on Roxas' end).

The irony though is... these two are my favorite KH characters, but it doesn't feel right to think of them on good terms the way things stand. It felt so off-putting to see the two of them hanging out in the end of KH3 when we get no indication any apologies were ever exchanged. At least we didn't get that with AtW, I guess... 🙄

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Honestly, until shit actually gets resolved between them, they should (at least, on Roxas' end).

The irony though is... these two are my favorite KH characters, but it doesn't feel right to think of them on good terms the way things stand. It felt so off-putting to see the two of them hanging out in the end of KH3 when we get no indication any apologies were ever exchanged. At least we didn't get that with AtW, I guess... 🙄
I'm hoping for a scene between them in a future game. I don't mind everyone being chummy at the beach party since it seems like it was some big event for Sora/Kairi, but I can imagine them still having issues later on. But I'm not sure if I want Roxas to come back just to be on tour for apologies. I guess it depends on Roxas' maturity level -- is he on the level he was in Days or is he more mature? I can see him holding a grudge against Riku for being mean to Xion and for what was done to Roxas, but if he is more mature and can understand that Riku did what he had to do... then maybe Roxas doesn't care anymore?

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I'm hoping for a scene between them in a future game. I don't mind everyone being chummy at the beach party since it seems like it was some big event for Sora/Kairi, but I can imagine them still having issues later on. But I'm not sure if I want Roxas to come back just to be on tour for apologies. I guess it depends on Roxas' maturity level -- is he on the level he was in Days or is he more mature? I can see him holding a grudge against Riku for being mean to Xion and for what was done to Roxas, but if he is more mature and can understand that Riku did what he had to do... then maybe Roxas doesn't care anymore?
Roxas had issue with Riku even in KH2's opening (in which he's shown to be more "mature"), and he didn't even have his memories for the majority of it. And really, there's no event after that which would suggest Roxas could have, or would have a change of heart. He simply didn't have enough time or agency between the end of KH2 and KH3.

Rather than bringing Roxas back solely to go on an "apology tour" maybe he could've.. I don't know, actually gotten all of that resolved in KH3 itself? The game that was supposed to be about getting closure with these characters. The game that was going to show us "how all the characters feel about eachother" according to Nomura in an interview leading up to it's release. It's simply a matter of "this should've already happened." No real two ways about it I'm afraid. Same with Namine and a myriad of other characters. But unfortunately, neither were given the opportunity or screentime to resolve litterally anything with anyone else.

Last edited:

redcrown

Awards
I can't help but think the beach party was more of a symbolic scene than an actual event that happened in the ending. It's just really off overall, the way everyone is all happy despite the sacrifices from the final battles, and getting along with each other despite then never really bonding beforehand or reconciling their pasts with each other, how everyone just ignores Sora and Kairi having a "bittersweet" moment, or how it shouldn't be possible that they're both there in the first place since Kairi supposedly died in KG and Sora went to find her right after defeating Xehanort. Also the fact that Hayner Pence and Olette being there totally breaks the suspension of the world order being a thing entirely.

Maybe it's just a way for me to cope with how messy and poorly thought out the whole ending was, to not consider it an actual canon event, because to do so would just make my brain hurt even more when thinking about it. But really, the bizarreness, logic breaking (even by KH standards) and tonal dissonance of that entire scene can't be denied.

Last edited:
Awards
I'd rather have Roxas not care instead of being so angry at Riku over events neither of them had much control over, where the machinations of the Organization and DiZ's revenge made things more complicated than they should have.

And remember, Roxas was NOT in a stable mindset at the time, basically on a suicide mission where he was under the assumption that making contact with Kingdom Hearts would bring Xion back, and that he was gonna survive and go after Sora. Trying to talk Roxas out of this wasn't going to do any good. Riku had to take him down, otherwise Roxas would likely be dead either by way of the Organization, or Kingdom Hearts itself, and restoring Sora's memory and waking him up would be impossible.

I'm sure Roxas knows that by now.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Roxas had issue with Riku even in KH2's opening (in which he's shown to be more "mature"), and he didn't even have his memories for the majority of it. And really, there's no event after that which would suggest Roxas could have, or would have a change of heart. He simply didn't have enough time or agency between the end of KH2 and KH3.

Rather than bringing Roxas back solely to go on an "apology tour" maybe he could've.. I don't know, actually gotten all of that resolved in KH3 itself? The game that was supposed to be about getting closure with these characters. The game that was going to show us "how all the characters feel about eachother" according to Nomura in an interview leading up to it's release. It's simply a matter of "this should've already happened." No real two ways about it I'm afraid. Same with Namine and a myriad of other characters. But unfortunately, neither were given the opportunity or screentime to resolve litterally anything with anyone else.
I mean in the midst of a Keyblade War, I really don't see any characters having any actual opportunity to wrap up things. I mean, when Roxas returns the moment is way more important to RAX rather than Riku running in and saying "sorry about everything Roxas and Xion". That's the issue with KH3: the structure of the plot just didn't allow these moments that should have happened to occur organically. If Roxas returned before the Keyblade Graveyard, Riku was in the Realm of Darkness for most of the game. It would have been weird to just shove a scene between Riku/Roxas that had essentially nothing to do with the plot into the Mysterious Tower segment.

I dunno, sometimes I wish KH3 had more scenes that let these discussions happen, but other times I get why they're not in there. I definitely do think that conversations between people who are already in those locations should have happened (like Kairi/Aqua talking more or Sora/Kairi or Sora/Aqua).

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I'd rather have Roxas not care instead of being so angry at Riku over events neither of them had much control over, where the machinations of the Organization and DiZ's revenge made things more complicated than they should have.

And remember, Roxas was NOT in a stable mindset at the time, basically on a suicide mission where he was under the assumption that making contact with Kingdom Hearts would bring Xion back, and that he was gonna survive and go after Sora. Trying to talk Roxas out of this wasn't going to do any good. Riku had to take him down, otherwise Roxas would likely be dead either by way of the Organization, or Kingdom Hearts itself, and restoring Sora's memory and waking him up would be impossible.

I'm sure Roxas knows that by now.
Sorry for responding to this late, but you are absolutely correct in saying that Riku was almost just as much a victim of the machinations of DiZ and the Organization. Him appearing as SoD in KH2 is definitive proof of this. However, he's still very much responsible for his own actions, and his own moral logic still directly clashes with Roxas'.

Why was Riku fighting Roxas? To restore Sora to his complete state, yes, but then one has to ask, isn't he just sacrificing one person's existence for another's? What is it that makes Sora's life more valuable than Roxas' exactly? Well outside of their value to him personally, really nothing. The true logic behind Riku's reasoning is that, rather than have Roxas go face the Organization and die a meaningless death (even if it's really not) and condemn Sora to the same fate, he could instead force the other to sacrifice himself for Sora and make sure that someone comes out of this horrible mess alive. Riku, especially at that point, didn't really care whether or not Roxas lived or died, he just wanted to make sure his best friend came out ok, and was ready to get rid of whomever he had to in order to make that happen.

But here's the problem, and the thing that puts him in direct opposition with Roxas in every single one of their interactions: what gives Riku the right to decide someone else's fate like that? What gives him the right to strip Roxas of his one and only true moment of agency? Now the confused, desperate boy has to sacrifice himself for someone he doesn't even know or care about? Does he not get a say? Does he not even have the right to know? That's the EXACT same logic that Roxas shamed Axel (and later DiZ) for before he defected from the Organization, and what caused their falling out in the first place. Except, at least with Axel, Xion actually chose to "return" to Sora of her own volition, and he merely allowed her the freedom and choice to do so. Additionally, while Xion was, to a degree, directly responsible for syphoning off Sora's memories and had the knowledge and agency to act against this fate, Roxas wasn't responsible for that, what Namine did to Sora in CO, what happened between AtW and his apprentices, or Xemnas' plan to keep Sora from ever waking up. He was completely innocent, and had little to no agency in any of the things that took place, so he of all people shouldn't be paying for everything with his life.

But then what do we see Riku do after this? If he was truly guilty, he would at least give Roxas the information he nearly risked his life to obtain, right? For as much as I don't like Namine in the KH2 prologue (though I do love her character as a whole), at least she was willing to tell the truth to Roxas before he disapeared. Riku on the other hand, continued to subvert Roxas' agency at every turn, while saying things like "It's best he doesn't know the truth." Again, that's the exact same logic that made Roxas lose whatever trust he still held toward Axel (his best friend) at the end of 358/2 Days. There's no way in hell he wouldn't hold Riku accountable for housing such a mindset, and unlike with Axel, who was trying to keep Roxas "alive" (for lack of a better term), Riku was actively trying to sacrifice him. Now, that's not to say I don't think Riku felt guilty about forcing the other into such a situation, but the closest thing he ever shows to sympathy is mild pity toward Roxas.

"Poor thing." (Note how he says "thing" here, and not "guy").

By the time Roxas finally gained his memories back, he not only still hated DiZ, but held such a high level of contempt for him that he viscously tried to hack the man to death... Multiple times. I'm about 95% sure that if it were Riku in place of DiZ in that scene, he would've reacted almost, if not the exact same way.

If we really wanted Roxas to be on better terms with Riku, then what we should've gotten was some kind of four-way conversation between him, Riku, AtW, and Namine. In which Roxas scolds the two of them for their gross mistreatment of him, and when he zeroes in on Riku, that'd be when Ansem explains that Riku was just a victim of his own plans for revenge, and that if anyone's to blame, it's himself. After that, Namine would likely bring up how she technically could've separated Sora's memories from Roxas and allowed them both to co exist if she had more time. Time that Ansem wouldn't allow her (this was all stated back in 358 btw).

Once that was said, whether or not Roxas fully forgave Riku, the two would still likely be on much better terms, and it would feel far more organic than having Roxas drop everything for no real reason.

Do you see what I mean here? :)

I mean in the midst of a Keyblade War, I really don't see any characters having any actual opportunity to wrap up things. I mean, when Roxas returns the moment is way more important to RAX rather than Riku running in and saying "sorry about everything Roxas and Xion". That's the issue with KH3: the structure of the plot just didn't allow these moments that should have happened to occur organically. If Roxas returned before the Keyblade Graveyard, Riku was in the Realm of Darkness for most of the game. It would have been weird to just shove a scene between Riku/Roxas that had essentially nothing to do with the plot into the Mysterious Tower segment.
Precisely! What people need to understand is that KH3 clearly wasn't built or structured in a way that would allow the writers to include these sorts of interactions and conclusions. Rather, it was designed so they could actively avoid having to deal with addressing these things, while simultaneously shoving in sequel bait to fill up the time. That's why we have weird moments like Ansem The Wise being kidnapped by SoD before the game even starts, only for the two to just arrive in Twilight Town toward the end of the game for zero reason, and now no one else besides the apprentices even know AtW is alive and in the RoL (so he can't get any closure with Roxas, Namine, Riku, Mickey, or Aqua). Or how about the fact that despite Ienzo litterally having a replica hand deliver to his feet, and Sora unlocking the PoW at about the same time, neither of them ever bother to contact eachother for the rest of the game (even though Sora openly laments not having Roxas and Namine present with everyone else, so logically he has every reason in the world to bring this up, but doesn't..)? And of course, let's not forget how Roxas and Sora didn't exchange a word with eachother after the former finally returned, nor did Roxas really speak with Xion or Axel. How is that supposed to be satisfying, or even justify all the egregious amounts of build up for Sora and Roxas to finally meet and interact again as equals (which should've helped firmly establish a new status quo, as well as their shared dynamic)?

I could go on, but the point is, it's not that KH3 couldn't have had all these important interactions, but the writers never bothered to structure the narrative in a way that supported or encouraged them in the first place. Most likely because they didn't really care, despite certain statements being made leading up to the game's release. Even the (mediocre) interactions we DO get are incredibly awkward and stiff. Which is a general criticism that extends to most cutscenes in the game actually. The Mysterious Tower scene, for example, genuinely makes me uncomfortable due to how stiff and rigid the characters felt during their exchanges (and the diologue itself held numerous contradictions that don't flow with the rest of the story, almost like it's in some sort of vacuum), and it came off like this weird "check off the list" moment. There aren't many peices of diologue exchanged between the original characters that feels organic and earned (with very select exceptions), and the way certain conversations are actually prompted just comes off bland and forced.

In the end, I'd say KH3 desperately needed a reworking of it's fundamental story structure, as well as more fleshed out and consistent character writing.
__________________​

My headcannon is that the whole game was just a scrambled dream Sora had before he woke up in Shibuya, and not actually what really happened (though that would still imply Sora "dies", which robs us of a proper conclusion, but at this point, I really couldn't care less, lol).

Last edited:
Back