• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What would be a twist that would make you quit the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
Fans put up with a lot of crazy (and sometimes bs) twists from this franchise. But what twist could they reasonably pull that would make you put the controller down and just walk away from the series forever?

AR829038

Awards
Honestly, I can't think of anything crazier than what we already have.
Well, I remember that Sleeping World theory that came out shortly after KH3 that suggested that everything that happened in the series so far was all in the dream realm. THAT would probably do it for me.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I can only think of twists that would be so bizarre, I’d have no choice but to keep playing so… maybe a confirmation of my joke theory about Sora’s body becoming Papyrus from Undertale after the end of kh3

Chie

Awards
Well, I remember that Sleeping World theory that came out shortly after KH3 that suggested that everything that happened in the series so far was all in the dream realm. THAT would probably do it for me.
This is not what that theory was, I really wonder why almost everyone without exception can't remember the contents of that document, even when it was new.

AR829038

Awards
This is not what that theory was, I really wonder why almost everyone without exception can't remember the contents of that document, even when it was new.
It was either that or about everything after DDD being a dream. Either way, it sounds like a pretty distasteful twist that wouldn't sit well with most people.

WaltK

Awards
>"why can't anyone remember the contents of the document?"

I recall a shit ton of random tangents about Sora and Riku's relationship and the parallels between them and Disney characters with, like, two actual attempts at explaining the theory interspersed within.

Chie

Awards
It was either that or about everything after DDD being a dream. Either way, it sounds like a pretty distasteful twist that wouldn't sit well with most people.
It was that KH3 had happened once before and that the characters repeated the story in a different worldline in the world of dreams as a parallel to the difference between X and UX.

Of course this was never revealed to be true, so it's all stuff of the past now, but this is still baffling to me. KH is a fictional story where real things happen in peoples dreams, things happening "in dreams" does not mean they don't matter or aren't real in this story. I'm not sure where this becomes forgotten between sentences.

Although KH3's main narrative does not have a Big Twist, I personally find the game ending up at "everyone had a marvel movie fight" to be vastly more distasteful than any twist could be. Which is I guess my answer to the thread title too. I would vastly prefer something unexpected, even if it's frustrating, than a story with nothing at all.

AR829038

Awards
KH is a fictional story where real things happen in peoples dreams, things happening "in dreams" does not mean they don't matter or aren't real in this story. I'm not sure where this becomes forgotten between sentences.
I think what makes it different is that if the theory turned out to be true, it would mean that the main antagonists whom we'd spent the entire game trying to defeat were still out there, and that all the accomplishments from the game would have to be done all over again, like finding Roxas a new body or finding the new seven hearts and yadda yadda yadda. It would imbue everything with this profound sense of anticlimax and frustration, and it would also make players question if they could trust that anything was actually getting accomplished from that point on, 'cause after something like that, ANYthing could end up being a dream.

There's a reason people typically hate the "it was all a dream" twist in fiction, because at best it doesn't add anything and at worst it makes the character either forget anything they've learned in the dream (because people often forget their dreams as soon as they're over) or have to do the same thing in real life, which isn't interesting to the viewer/player, because we already saw it get done before. And I know dream stuff in KH is different because of how the dream realm works and connects to reality differently, but I still think people would erupt over a twist reveal that basically told them every single thing they did throughout KH3, the climax of the whole Xehanort saga, was just a psyche test run and had to be redone all over again.
Although KH3's main narrative does not have a Big Twist, I personally find the game ending up at "everyone had a marvel movie fight" to be vastly more distasteful than any twist could be.
Not sure why it's distasteful for a KH game to end with a "Marvel-style fight". Every game in the series has been like that more or less. I'm not sure how else you'd resolve a conflict like a literal light vs. dark keyblade war in an anime game series without flashy fights and combat. Unless by "Marvel fights" you mean something more specifically generic.

Chie

Awards
I think what makes it different is that if the theory turned out to be true, it would mean that the main antagonists whom we'd spent the entire game trying to defeat were still out there, and that all the accomplishments from the game would have to be done all over again,
What? Why? Why do you think this? The details of this idea are open to multiple interpretations but in no way is this inherently part of the proposed "twist". You're getting caught on the word "dream", for some reason.

Not sure why it's distasteful for a KH game to end with a "Marvel-style fight". Every game in the series has been like that more or less.
Every(?) previous KH game ends with reveals about the broader machinations of other characters on the events, usually the characters were following somebody's plan all along or the way we view the story is greatly changed. The characters' minds are also usually messed with and they are made unsure of their reality. By the time you reach the end of a KH game, your view of the world has widened greatly since you began, and things are never quite as they originally seemed. Many of these games have a significant mystery component!

Before KH3, Yen Sid says all the things that need to happen and that then there'd be a Big Fight, and then in KH3 all those things happen and then there's a Big Fight where all the characters hit each other in the desert. That's pretty much it!

AR829038

Awards
What? Why? Why do you think this? The details of this idea are open to multiple interpretations but in no way is this inherently part of the proposed "twist". You're getting caught on the word "dream", for some reason.
I'll admit I didn't read the whole theory paper (I took one look at the page count and hell nope'd outta that—I'm not quite that autistic), but the gist I remember people saying about it was that it meant all the events of KH3 took place in the Sleeping Realm. Which would imply the whole it-was-all-a-dream scenario, i.e., the versions of the Organization that we fight in the Sleeping Realm weren't real. Or, if they were, then Kingdom Hearts wasn't. I think. Actually, can you even summon Kingdom Hearts in the Sleeping Realm? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, my point is, that was the assumption I got from it. If I'm wrong, then I rescind everything I've said, but I was NOT willing to read through hundreds of pages of that inane brain-dehydrating drabble.

Every(?) previous KH game ends with reveals about the broader machinations of other characters on the events, usually the characters were following somebody's plan all along or the way we view the story is greatly changed. The characters' minds are also usually messed with and they are made unsure of their reality. By the time you reach the end of a KH game, your view of the world has widened greatly since you began, and things are never quite as they originally seemed. Many of these games have a significant mystery component!

Before KH3, Yen Sid says all the things that need to happen and that then there'd be a Big Fight, and then in KH3 all those things happen and then there's a Big Fight where all the characters hit each other in the desert. That's pretty much it!
Okay, I didn't know that's what you meant. I thought by "Marvel style fight" you just meant a big, flashy climax with a lot of blasting and lasers and shit. Which confused me, because I was like, "didn't literally all the past games have final fights like that?" But yes, based on what you're saying, KH3's climax (and really it's entire plot) were far more, um…"straightforward" seems like a kind word to use.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kairi is actually a time warped Sora's mom. And she's pregnant with Goofy's litter.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly I thought about it for a bit and just can't think of a twist big enough that would make me drop the series. Guess I'm in too deep.

Back