• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Guernsey

Awards
Coded and Days get accused of being filler and I get why. They don't seem to add much. It would be easier to forgive if they were short DLC than a whole game. Even the cutscene movies in the HD remix drag and those aren't that long.

The Xehanort saga starts too slow and KH3 has to do all the heavy lifting.

So this is way to salvage Days and move the series forward faster.

I don't know how to fix Coded because the Data Realm never appealed to me. And another KH1 rehash is uninteresting. So I'd just use it as a Kairi centered title. It focuses on her training and the preexisting worlds are used as testing grounds.

I don't mind Kairi getting training, its just never explored in a meaningful way. Same with the Mark of Mastery exam from DDD. I'm fine with delaying or cutting the 2nd Mark of Mastery exam.

I agree with this post. I would say that there it almost no actual filler in the canon games. I can understand why some fans consider those games to be filler as they do not add anything to the series. If those games were just spinoff games, it would be much better received as it would not affect anything. As for Kairi, it seems as though Nomura doesn't appear to know what to do with her beyond her archetype and role in the first game.

-The game experiences situational awareness lag
-Sora gets reset after every game he's ever starred in and it's not been great for his character.
-They single-handedly denied Sora's development, never told him about CoM events and how he went Linkin Park angst over a total stranger he's never even met and denied him the ability to lament over the actions he took.
-Hastily discards Donald and Goofy and never apologizes, post game he just forgets it, all critical character development thats just swept under the mat from a single game.

Listen nobody in this community, be it here, reddit, KH13, would anyone seriously justify how the shaft the MC for an entire franchise. It's like Nomura wrote a character just to kill him, and even death couldn't stop him. Death, then reincarnate, then death to the KH1 sora by memory replacement, Death to CoM Sora by memory rewind, Death to Data Sora by corruption and system reboot.

Yall wildin.

I would like to add that it isn't as though I want Sora to stop being himself. It seems though as a side effect of the games being what they are, Sora gets "reset" in every game he appears in. It also seems like Sora is never involved in the story as he is too busy finding presents with Jack Skellington or swimming under the sea with Ariel. When he does get involved, it is usually near the end of the game where everyone is "useless" without him. I really wish Sora didn't get "reset" in the games he appears in.

<_<

>_>

*Deep breath*

I would've preferred this series being a full on Disney RPG franchise, instead of the wannabe shonen anime that happens to guest star Disney. Like Super Mario RPG but with Mickey. That it's just about getting to the point where the OCs are as numerous as the Disney cast (just how many got introduced in the mobile games? Like 20 at least?) is nothing short of ridiculous.

Disney has lighten up on crossovers as proven by recent mobile titles but I have no faith whatsoever that KH will ever capitalize on it. It's too caught in it's half a million plot threads as is to actually do any big grand stories with Disney characters.

It would be fun to see what would happen if Kingdom Hearts were a "typical" Square Enix RPG as opposed to what we got. I do not hate the games but I really wish that we got something more on the along of Super Mario RPG. I would even accept a Final Fantasy style game with Disney characters.

Kingdom Hearts is good

Do not tell the Kingdom Hearts fans this.🤣

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Re:Coded>Days, it's just the plain better game.

358/2 Days:
-Basic KH1ish combat
-Long and padded
-does very little with Disney characters (Pete and HT imps are the only Disney bosses, seriously?)
-retconed to hell and back Sailor Earth OC.

Re:Coded
-Best implementation of Command Deck in the series.
-Genre shifts/other world specific challenges to keep gameplay fresh
-Disney cast given the most plot importance they've had since KH1 (plus more bosses, heck Pete's fight is straight up better here than in Days). Ironic when this a game where the OC worlds outnumber the Disney ones.
-Doesn't outlive it's welcome.
-Yes it has a simple plot but you know what? Maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe my brain welcomes the break from convoluted metaphysical Nomura nonsense for a change

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It would be fun to see what would happen if Kingdom Hearts were a "typical" Square Enix RPG as opposed to what we got. I do not hate the games but I really wish that we got something more on the along of Super Mario RPG. I would even accept a Final Fantasy style game with Disney characters.
Coded's coliseum was like an insight in what could've been. a turn based rpg with Sora, a Disney character, and a FF one. All of whom the player directly controlled instead of just Sora.

VCast too, is like peering into an alternate timeline where the KH stayed Disney focused. Even the few new characters felt Disney-ish.

Shoot, that's something to add to my prior rant. If Nomura's gonna create so many new characters, would it kill him to at least make them look and feel like they could pass for proper Disney characters? Now I'm getting flashbacks to that one Gamespot preview of BBS back in the day where the guy commented on the absurd contrast betweenThe Grand Duke and "Rei Ayanami".

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
They could've given Donald shoes. If we can make running shoes for ducks in real life, theres no reason they couldn't develop Duck shoes for our boy.

Rarely see it, but the shoe designs ended up becoming the most unique ones when you contrast Nomura giving basically every character save for Goofy a hoody. Look at the concept art lol!

D

Deleted member 246005

@Guernsey

Filler is misused by fans. Its a term that makes more sense in adaptations. With an overarching plot you could use it too but it would be "Unnecessary by hindsight" but thats a tricky road. I don't mind KH having spinoffs but they gotta be interesting like the FF7 compilation or the Persona ones.

I rather take Crisis core and Before Crisis over Coded and Days.

AegisXIII

Awards
@Guernsey

Filler is misused by fans. Its a term that makes more sense in adaptations. With an overarching plot you could use it too but it would be "Unnecessary by hindsight" but thats a tricky road. I don't mind KH having spinoffs but they gotta be interesting like the FF7 compilation or the Persona ones.

I rather take Crisis core and Before Crisis over Coded and Days.
Days story with Coded gameplay would have made an insane game.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
1. I dislike the idea of the Guardians being substitutes for the Princesses. We get it, damsels in distress is cliché, sexist, uninspired blah blah blah…but there’s just something about reusing the original plot device that appeals to me, and also, the idea of the guardians, who have darkness in them sans Kairi (and Ven?), kind of doesn’t sit well with me. It’s like comparing silver and gold, one is more usable and flexible, but is also “inferior” by comparison. Why have a burger patty when the ribeye cap/filet mignon is so much better, y’know?
The thing is KH sort of plays around with the PoH outside of a simple archetype. They are damsels in a way, but they are also powerful in KH1 at least. Kairi holds off Destiny Island's destruction, for example, and then the princesses hold the darkness back in Hollow Bastion, too. I would've liked them to re-use them and show more of the power aspect, perhaps using Holy attacks to help Sora at a key moment the way Yensid helps them.

Perhaps they still could in the future story at some point. I always thought it would be cute if the princesses could sort of attack or teleport the way the sailors do in Sailor Moon (as far as being in a circle), ha.
I'm fine with retiring Donald and Goofy. They are sort of like R2d2 and C3p0. They are fun side characters but don't really change and develop beyond the first game.
That's actually a pretty good comparison, although I personally hope SDG are always the leads. I hope if Star Wars does appear in KH, they at least use the first films with those two characters. Perhaps D&G may appear as robots?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

@AegisXIII
Days is a cool concept but poorly explored. If it gets the FF7R treatment and expands on itself, I'd be more willing to give it another look. Otherwise I rather just get a new game set after 3.

@Just Dari
Sora reseting would be easier to forgive in a more standalone series like Sonic. A more serialized narrative needs more of a payoff.

@Guernsey
Kairi being an archetype but unlike Riku she never moved past it.

Riku is the only one of the original trio that got better and didn't become an annoying cliche.

In hindsight I would've preffered Riku and Mickey as the main team instead SDG.

Sonofjafar

Awards
Possibly Unpopular opinion #2: putting more realistic worlds in kingdom hearts 4 will make them boring. I know most of the more recent films have that feel but the lesser known Disney films after Jungle Book and before Little Mermaid could work

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm fine with Riku being gay but I've never been a Soriku fan. So I rather give Riku a new male love interest than using Sora.

Same with Riku/Kairi if he is intended to be straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back