• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

idea about a remake. (Fun discussion)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Well, the likelihood of any of these ideas happening is 50/50, for example the remasters being a thing in the first place was an idea by the fans, years before it became a thing, so it might happen at some point or it might not, but Ethier way, I definitely know I'm enjoying these discussions, what about you?
To be civil, I'll read your post. I do think remasters are way more likely than remakes. KH needed remasters, but imo it does not need a remake. I wouldn't say the chances are 50/50 unless it's around 30 years into the future with the series potentially dying. I do think it's fine to come up with what ifs, though. That's just some fun and that's alright.

Chie

Awards
Did you even read the rest of my post?
Of course I did, it did not shed any light on why you think this has a 50/50 chance of happening. A one in two chance. Flip of a coin. Even if Nomura did want to do this (and he never would), the chance would still be much smaller than one in two.

vaderskywalker

Awards
Of course I did, it did not shed any light on why you think this has a 50/50 chance of happening. A one in two chance. Flip of a coin. Even if Nomura did want to do this (and he never would), the chance would still be much smaller than one in two.
I'm bad at math, science has always been my specialty.

D

Deleted member 246005

idea: a remake of the numbered kingdom hearts games with the main cast swapping roles. Also more prominent Disney characters (ie the Disney Castle crew and Maleficent) will be swapped for other Disney characters
So we play as Young Xehanort teaming up with Maleficent and Pete?

I like Young X so I'm game. ;)

Sonofjafar

Awards
So we play as Young Xehanort teaming up with Maleficent and Pete?

I like Young X so I'm game. ;)
I was thinking more along the lines of Player from Union X as Sora, young Xehanort as Riku, and Strelitzia as Kairi with Mickey Donald and Goofy being replaced by Oswald, Mr. Toad (or possibly Ichabod Crane), and Horace Horsecollar respectively and Jafar replacing Maleficent as the leader of a different council of villains

D

Deleted member 246005

I was thinking more along the lines of Player from Union X as Sora, young Xehanort as Riku, and Strelitzia as Kairi with Mickey Donald and Goofy being replaced by Oswald, Mr. Toad (or possibly Ichabod Crane), and Horace Horsecollar respectively and Jafar replacing Maleficent as the leader of a different council of villains
I don't mind that pitch but it feels more like it's own thing. It could be a Verum Rex game and you could use the recent Disney Worlds and Dr. Facilier. Just replace the player character and Young X with Ephemer and Yozora.

I don't mind being the player character but unless you get more choices like Hogwarts legacy, it's not that interesting.

I didn't mean to dismiss your ideas entirely. It might be better if we move this to the "make your own Kingdom Hearts game" thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It's zero because why would Nomura want to do this ever
I don't think a KH1 remake is unlikely at all, although remakes of CoM, Days, KH2, etc. all are, imo. I'm not sure why else Nomura would've introduced a concept like worldlines or leave you with the impression Quadratum may be an alternate universe because of Yozora knowing who Sora is in the Re-Mind DLC unless he was thinking about the concept of a remake of some kind (although probably not one disconnected from the present storyline).

D

Deleted member 246005

They already did FF7R so a KH1 remake isn't out of the realm of possibility. Whether Nomura does it himself or they just outsource it to other directors is anyone's guess.

Chie

Awards
(although probably not one disconnected from the present storyline).
Yeah, if we're talking "a future KH game revisiting KH1 in an alternate manner" I would say 1) that's more plausible and 2) that's also what Coded is.

To be clear, then, Nomura would never care about making a new game to "update KH1 for the newest generation" and replace all its graphics with kh3 graphics and make this altered version "a more accessible version for new fans" etc. because then he would spend three years making a worse version of kh1 instead of continuing his own story. And then there'd be two versions of KH1 and everyone new to the series would play the new version even though every single other KH game only refers back to the original version. And all the fans would from then on beg him to spend three years per game doing the same to all the other KH games.

If they outsourced it to a random third party, then it would be even more disastorous to exist...

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Furthermore, it would make KH way more messy than it already is.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah, if we're talking "a future KH game revisiting KH1 in an alternate manner" I would say 1) that's more plausible and 2) that's also what Coded is.
Yeah, and CoM existed before Coded, that didn't stop Coded from happening. Moreover, Square is currently remaking FFVII and there are rumors of one for IX, that tells me remakes are on the studio's radar as easy $$$. And considering KH as a series has rehashed KH1 many times over as it is, even the possibility of a straight remake of that game unrelated to the present story is not zero the way it is for CoM, Days, and KH2, nor is it even "highly unlikely," imo.

As for it being a diversion from the present story, well... It's not like this series doesn't often spend time off in the weeds. As someone who's followed this series since 1's release, I'd say they've spent more time there than anywhere else.

EDIT: I see now that Rodin already mentioned the VIIR, I missed their post by accident.

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
1 being rehashed so many times is another reason why I wouldn't want a remake ngl. I'm sick of KH1 Sora's design.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Except I don't think they were referring to the GBA version. Let's be real when people watch CoM to catch up on that story, they will always watch the PS2 cutscenes. The card system in the GBA version is not a design flaw, but how the card system translates to the remake IS a design flaw. At this point, I've seen way too many people skip playing CoM for the cutscenes over ANY other game in the series. Besides arguably Days/Coded, but CoM doesn't have the excuse of not being immediately playable.

So yes, I agree that the card system for the GBA is not a design flaw. But the how the remake adapts it is entirely a design flaw. People shouldn't be happy to watch cutscenes for a game over playing it, because that just proves how poorly the remake handled the card system.
My thoughts exactly. The card system is nice. I like it at lot. But when nobody plays it on the remake, then it makes it a design flaw. That's why I thought it should have been a command deck, since cards are meant to execute sleights and no one skips BBS/DDD.
Honestly, I don't think that it's the command deck.

CoM is the only KH game that has the DISNEY worlds THAT empty (maybe Re:coded). It works for the GBA because the sprites and scope of the game isn't expected to be large. The problem was basically remaking the DISNEY worlds exactly as they were from the GBA version. The plots are also very short - there's 4 UNVOICED scenes and that's it. Not only that, but we're basically guaranteed that none of the DISNEY worlds will have ANY relevance to the main plot. When you know that almost every playable stage in a game has: 1) no storyline purpose, 2) no voiced cutscenes, 3) very few cutscenes, 4) the same rooms with different wallpaper, 5) nothing else to do in the worlds besides fight the same enemies - there really is no incentive to play. CoM on GBA is amazing, but Re:CoM's problem is definitely NOT the card system.

I don't know why people blame it on the card system. I know the main reason I don't really want to play Re:COM is because it feels dead minus the Castle Oblivion scenes.

AegisXIII

Awards
Honestly, I don't think that it's the command deck.

CoM is the only KH game that has the DISNEY worlds THAT empty (maybe Re:coded). It works for the GBA because the sprites and scope of the game isn't expected to be large. The problem was basically remaking the DISNEY worlds exactly as they were from the GBA version. The plots are also very short - there's 4 UNVOICED scenes and that's it. Not only that, but we're basically guaranteed that none of the DISNEY worlds will have ANY relevance to the main plot. When you know that almost every playable stage in a game has: 1) no storyline purpose, 2) no voiced cutscenes, 3) very few cutscenes, 4) the same rooms with different wallpaper, 5) nothing else to do in the worlds besides fight the same enemies - there really is no incentive to play. CoM on GBA is amazing, but Re:CoM's problem is definitely NOT the card system.

I don't know why people blame it on the card system. I know the main reason I don't really want to play Re:COM is because it feels dead minus the Castle Oblivion scenes.
Good point. The emptyness of the disney world doesn't help. Also, I am mostly watching streamers who quit the game because of its repetitivity but maybe most players play it.

Last edited:

Chie

Awards
This is inherently a cynical and complainy post I'm about to make, but if we really do wanna talk about "people deciding to watch youtube videos instead of play the game", I would say that's not limited to CoM; there's so many instances I've experienced in so many different series of people asking "can't I just skip all the games to get to the newest one? I can watch a youtube summary or something? if you say I should play all the games you're gatekeeping". CoM might stand out for its unpopularity within the fandom, but outside of it, the average gamer just wants to get to 3 as fast as possible because it's the new one and has a number in the title. You can observe the same happening with No More Heroes 3, Metal Gear Solid V: TPP, etc. So in my own experiences I don't really see "people who nominally want to play the game don't want to play the game" as a design flaw. Just business as usual.

It just doesn't really feel good for me to say, because a problem with gamers isn't actually an addressable problem. I can (rightly) call them dumb all I want but nobody can stop human beings from being dumb about things sometimes, so...

AegisXIII

Awards
This is inherently a cynical and complainy post I'm about to make, but if we really do wanna talk about "people deciding to watch youtube videos instead of play the game", I would say that's not limited to CoM; there's so many instances I've experienced in so many different series of people asking "can't I just skip all the games to get to the newest one? I can watch a youtube summary or something? if you say I should play all the games you're gatekeeping". CoM might stand out for its unpopularity within the fandom, but outside of it, the average gamer just wants to get to 3 as fast as possible because it's the new one and has a number in the title. You can observe the same happening with No More Heroes 3, Metal Gear Solid V: TPP, etc. So in my own experiences I don't really see "people who nominally want to play the game don't want to play the game" as a design flaw. Just business as usual.

It just doesn't really feel good for me to say, because a problem with gamers isn't actually an addressable problem. I can (rightly) call them dumb all I want but nobody can stop human beings from being dumb about things sometimes, so...
You make a valid point as I believe skipping a game doesn't help with the storytelling and the way you get attached to the characters.

But but but: we have cutscenes compilations for two titles in the remix so even if the devs encourage this way of consuming their titles, who am I to criticize? XD

Back