• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary event recap video released!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

After a long wait, Square Enix has finally released the Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary recap video! Check out the event's festivities, see fan reactions, and stay til the end for a surprise glimpse of Kingdom Hearts Dark Road's final update, releasing August 26th!

An additional video of the voice actors' talk session is also available.

Last edited:

blank points

Awards
Wow, I'll be honest, I almost completely forgot about the recap video. Great to finally see it. And I have to say, that last scene was surprisingly adorable.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
After a 4 month wait I thought that the video would be longer than 12 minutes but I do appreciate getting to see and hear reactions to Missing Link and KH4's reveal.

It was cool being in the audience at the orchestra when KH3's date was announced but being there in person when the next main game is shown off with spectacular graphics would just have been something else.

Here's hoping there's something special planned for the NA 20th anniversary next month ;)

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
As someone who doesn't care for the mobile stuff in any capacity, the ending was funny when they showed all the dates of every game's release, followed with

"AND NOW...
[shows Missing Link and KH4 with no accompanying dates]
DARK ROAD"

Obvious that it'd go that way but hilarious nonetheless to the guy inside me who never stops hoping.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Watching those videos always ReMinds me that Re:Coded came out before BBS as Coded. I always forget that and even games like Melody of Memory have it placed before BBS.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Watching those videos always ReMinds me that Re:Coded came out before BBS as Coded. I always forget that and even games like Melody of Memory have it placed before BBS.
To make it weirder, the last chapter if Coded was post-BBS.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Awards
Hearing people's reaction to the KH4 logo is extremely hilarious and precious to me. The ludicrous amount of time between KH2 and KH3 (KH3's announcement, really, let alone its release) really had a quite an effect on fans. After KH3 came out, I saw so many people saying that there was no way KH4 would get announced any time soon, and that there needed to be a series of games that could 'lead into' KH4, as though KH4 wasn't allowed to set itself up.

I'm not saying people were dumb for thinking that, but I definitely thought that it was a good time to just jump into the next one and introduce everything properly with a big new entry rather than a paltry series of spinoffs, and I'm glad the team felt the same way, because the reaction to that logo is so amazing-- Despite having spent the last three minutes looking at a game that was OBVIOUSLY KH4, they still couldn't quite believe it until they saw the logo. Only Kingdom Hearts, man

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Hearing people's reaction to the KH4 logo is extremely hilarious and precious to me. The ludicrous amount of time between KH2 and KH3 (KH3's announcement, really, let alone its release) really had a quite an effect on fans. After KH3 came out, I saw so many people saying that there was no way KH4 would get announced any time soon, and that there needed to be a series of games that could 'lead into' KH4, as though KH4 wasn't allowed to set itself up.

I'm not saying people were dumb for thinking that, but I definitely thought that it was a good time to just jump into the next one and introduce everything properly with a big new entry rather than a paltry series of spinoffs, and I'm glad the team felt the same way, because the reaction to that logo is so amazing-- Despite having spent the last three minutes looking at a game that was OBVIOUSLY KH4, they still couldn't quite believe it until they saw the logo. Only Kingdom Hearts, man
I understand why you're not really counting the mobile games in this, but let's not pretend that nothing happens between III and IV. Between Kingdom Hearts III and IV there were/will be several releases. Re:Mind, Melody of Memory, the finale of UX, Dark Road, and Missing Link's launch. There's also always the possibility that something smaller will be announced before IV comes out, a la 0.2 being buried in 2.8.

But I'm not ignorant of your meaning. It was a surprise to many that IV was announced at all.

Launchpad

Awards
I understand why you're not really counting the mobile games in this, but let's not pretend that nothing happens between III and IV. Between Kingdom Hearts III and IV there were/will be several releases. Re:Mind, Melody of Memory, the finale of UX, Dark Road, and Missing Link's launch. There's also always the possibility that something smaller will be announced before IV comes out, a la 0.2 being buried in 2.8.

But I'm not ignorant of your meaning. It was a surprise to many that IV was announced at all.
Oh for sure, in fact, it's those things that made the KH4 release feel all-the-more plausible to me before the event, but even up to the moment the anniversary poster dropped, I still saw people saying it was just too soon for an announcement. It's like people want to see Kingdom Hearts as written and illustrated by a geriatric Tetsuya Nomura or something.

Rob

Awards
To make it weirder, thw last xhapter if Coded was post-BBS.

Just because someone has bad memory (Did they also forget the remake/reply Re:CoM came out before KH2 as CoM? Or is their memory simply tied to if a game releases in their country or not?) doesn't make it "weird" when it was intentionally done as the last chapter is the culmination of the BBS/Coded/Days TGS 2007 announcement because all 3 titles are connected to each other and (of the 3 games, Coded is post-KH2) led to the next KH game. The last chapter spoils the ending of BBS, so it had to release after it. In fact, BBS was delayed from its 2009 release so it was always going to be before coded ended. They just ended up in the same month in the end. I'll assume you've been following the X series for the past 9 years (Coded was the original monthly release so anything after is nothing new) to know how Nomura works. Exhibit A: Nomura inserting X into the main plot by using Re:coded (2.5) on PS3 in 2014 by making a new cutscene with Maleficent mentioning the Book of Prophecy then the end of X (on PC) had Maleficent appear.

As expected, DR releases at the end of the month. lol

Violet Pluto

Awards
Man I didn't know Nomura didn't like being on camera so much. It's really obvious too, if you watch the video everytime they talk to him it's either focusing on the crowd, or he's just out of shot (even making some very unnatural angles to accomplish this) I guess I didn't expect that.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Man I didn't know Nomura didn't like being on camera so much. It's really obvious too, if you watch the video everytime they talk to him it's either focusing on the crowd, or he's just out of shot (even making some very unnatural angles to accomplish this) I guess I didn't expect that.
He should go the Yoko Taro route and wear an org coat to hide his face.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, he's been doing this for years. Nomura's the type of guy who would really prefer to be left alone to make games in peace. This rising demand or even obligation for high profile game developers to be involved more publicly - doing more and more interviews and appearing in public spaces - is not something he's comfortable with.

It's clear that this "voice from the heavens" thing is a sort of compromise. For livestreams and less important events, he can stay out of sight and communicate on mic. For more important events, they'll avoid showing him on camera.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, he's been doing this for years. Nomura's the type of guy who would really prefer to be left alone to make games in peace. This rising demand or even obligation for high profile game developers to be involved more publicly - doing more and more interviews and appearing in public spaces - is not something he's comfortable with.

It's clear that this "voice from the heavens" thing is a sort of compromise. For livestreams and less important events, he can stay out of sight and communicate on mic. For more important events, they'll avoid showing him on camera.
I don’t think it helped that gamers would joke about his looks like when he had the blond hair or his outfits. The dude has always looked cool and dressed well but people clung to that aspect about him and made him feel like a spectacle.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Okay but the orchestral arrangements are fire, y'all. Please, put that version of "Link to All" in a future MoM DLC update that'sneverhappeneningbutwhatever.

Violet Pluto

Awards

I have no problem with that since I'm much the same way, if I could keep my photos off the internet forever I would. It's just jarring the lengths the camera has to go to to keep him off screen.

Back