• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General feeling towards the game for now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
I've been gradually more hyped for this game the more I think about it. Don't know if that's a good thing XD

When I first watched the trailer I was kinda meh.

The visuals seems utterly UGLY as hell, compared to everything we were getting from the last 2-4 years with MoM and KHIII and Remind, which were both really beautiful... Even the 2D version of that Old-Scala in Union X had more visual appeal and striking colors. But the 3D counterpart is... bland, I'd say. I really wish thay will improve on the lighting, because I can't feel the starry night vibes the location is supposed to be.

Then my first surge of positive emotion was because at least this time we're getting a KH story with voice acting and camera angles and animation again, which I dearly missed in the UX/DR 2D era with all those cool characters.

But the more I think about Missing Link, more reasons I have for being hyped for it. My list of cons and pros continues like this:

- First of all, I've always wanted some kind of Multiplayer Online in Kingdom hearts where you get to actually help, heal and whatnot your allies, and they can help you with that too.
I'm not sure if Missing link is this, but I can imagine from what we've seen that in this game, when you fall out of HP, a ally can come to your aid and heal him/herself, and the area around, just like you do in KHII and III with party members. Kh games almost always nails the combat system (even when everything else is bad) and if somehow the Co-op in this game actually makes a difference in gameplay like its teasing to be, I'm almost sure I'll love to play this with friends. I'd love to buff my allies or help them stay alive in the heat of battle, and struggle with them for surviving in a cool disney boss or heartless. If I have fun struggling by myself in KH for 10 games, why I wouldn't like it more experiencing with other players?

- As a game that updates constantly, we're bound to have the same lenght/rythym of updates to the story and general progression. It is a pain having to wait too much for a new story beat, specially if the 'last chapter' of the month is building some cool mystery or a really good story. Disconnecting from the story because of the long time is really bad for the emotional impact or revelations.

- Because of the game's updates, we can expect new content coming over eventually. I didn't play UX too much but I remember having different updates where you could go to a PvP battle or something? I like the idea of playing through the story every month and suddenly unlocking some special thing to do that I couldn't before. I can see the game coming out really dull at first but eventually building itself to be really fun.

- I hate playing on my phone. I'm a console and PC person, I only use my phone to do more important tasks so I feel this is not for me. But at the same time, if there is a franchise that can change that in my life sure is Kingdom Hearts ~ I'd love to play this on switch tho, It'd be neat if we'd have Square Enix updating the game constantly on the Switch exactly like they'll do on mobile. However I think Kingdom Hearts has some problems with Nintendo for some reason and that won't happen. And unfortunately launching M-L on PS4 or PS5/XOne with these graphics wouldn't sound right...

- Finally some 3D real action battle gameplay again for portable games. This is what I love about the KH series. I mean, I love to expect new things for every new game announced. And specially the portable games, because it tends to go the route of reinventing the battle system with something new and NOT SAFE, a weirdly familiar machanic - and from what nomura told us in the interview this new gameplay system seems different enough from BBS, DDD and ReCoded.

- I don't like too much the idea of having enemies around the street and entering a 'Battle Room', it sounds a bad idea in KH where the focus always were about exploring and battling in one setting, but I have some hope it'll work some way.

I feel like if this game was announced before Union X or Dark Road, there'd be a lot more hype sorrounding it - UX/DR left us in such a bad taste and expectations, that having a new portable (and 3D) KH game announced... I was more like "oh finally is 3D again" than "oh look at that game". But then KH4 came to be and I forgot about it lol

So what do you think about Missing Link from the trailer?

LoneFox

Awards
I hate playing on my phone. I'm a console and PC person, I only use my phone to do more important tasks so I feel this is not for me.
Unfortunately, we live in a universe that god abandoned, and so I literally cannot play it.
I agree that making the game mobile-only is stupid, but that issue can be circumvented. On Windows, BlueStacks just worked for UX, and since it advertises itself specifically as gaming platform, I expect it to just work for Missing Link as well. On Linux, Qemu + virglrenderer should work, although in practice finding a guest distro that works in it has proven to be somewhat challenging. The first one I tried didn't have the required kernel drivers, and the second one had a bootloader bug that prevented it from be installed in an emulator. Then there is also the option of installing some flavor of Android-x86 on real hardware (as dual boot), but I don't know how well that works in practice.

cakito123

Awards
I agree that making the game mobile-only is stupid, but that issue can be circumvented. On Windows, BlueStacks just worked for UX, and since it advertises itself specifically as gaming platform, I expect it to just work for Missing Link as well. On Linux, Qemu + virglrenderer should work, although in practice finding a guest distro that works in it has proven to be somewhat challenging. The first one I tried didn't have the required kernel drivers, and the second one had a bootloader bug that prevented it from be installed in an emulator. Then there is also the option of installing some flavor of Android-x86 on real hardware (as dual boot), but I don't know how well that works in practice.

I understand half of your words because again, I'm not a mobile person, but you're saying I can install a smartphone on my windows and play, right? That's actually a great idea, thank you.

Does this work with online games as well, playing with other people?

LoneFox

Awards
I understand half of your words because again, I'm not a mobile person, but you're saying I can install a smartphone on my windows and play, right? That's actually a great idea, thank you.

Does this work with online games as well, playing with other people?
I don't know that much about mobile stuff either, but it works the same way as virtual machines (running one OS inside another) generally do. See this youtube video.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
As long as the cutscenes are videos that are fully voiced and look good, then I'm good. I will just wait until the game's done to watch all cutscenes.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
More story in the "χ saga" is great as far as I'm concerned. I love this arc and I will consume any extra morsel voraciously.
And I don't mind at all getting back into a groove of regular KH content filling the void between large releases.

Real time combat is great. Real time multiplayer is great.

I just really hope they decide to do a console/PC version too... even if it happens after the initial launch, just give it to me.
You'll grab so many more players, Square. Look at Genshin.
Be smart just one time.

Zackarix

Awards
I'm a little annoyed on Xehanort's behalf. His history got relegated to a failed attempt to extend the life of the KHUX app while KHUX itself is getting a sequel with more than two animators. Totally unfair.

That being said, I want to judge the game based on what it is, not what it isn't. And I think it looks good so far. Granted, it's not out yet so I can't see how it all comes together, but I like what I see.

I know that a lot of people were dreading another phone game, but I knew it was inevitable. So I just hope this enters the ranks of decent phone games and it isn't just another freemium cash grab.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I feel like what they showed was very early development, almost too early. I'll give SE the benefit of the doubt to make the worlds/models much better.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm a little annoyed on Xehanort's behalf. His history got relegated to a failed attempt to extend the life of the KHUX app while KHUX itself is getting a sequel with more than two animators. Totally unfair.

That being said, I want to judge the game based on what it is, not what it isn't. And I think it looks good so far. Granted, it's not out yet so I can't see how it all comes together, but I like what I see.

I know that a lot of people were dreading another phone game, but I knew it was inevitable. So I just hope this enters the ranks of decent phone games and it isn't just another freemium cash grab.
Wouldn't they have had almost all the assets needed to do Dark Road in decent graphics? They had the Young Xehanort and Eraqus models, Scala, the DISNEY worlds, heartless... I just don't get why they didn't do Dark Road in better quality. Unless it was only one person working on Dark Road.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wouldn't they have had almost all the assets needed to do Dark Road in decent graphics? They had the Young Xehanort and Eraqus models, Scala, the DISNEY worlds, heartless... I just don't get why they didn't do Dark Road in better quality. Unless it was only one person working on Dark Road.
Nomura came up with the idea of telling Xehanort's backstory years ago, but the project wasn't greenlit for one reason or another and wound up being shelved with the expectation of never revisiting it again. It was because the UX team approached him and asked if they could work on another project that the opportunity presented itself, so it was either this or nothing.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Nomura came up with the idea of telling Xehanort's backstory years ago, but the project wasn't greenlit for one reason or another and wound up being shelved with the expectation of never revisiting it again. It was because the UX team approached him and asked if they could work on another project that the opportunity presented itself, so it was either this or nothing.
He should have waited for the budget to open up now to do Dark Road instead of Missing-Link.

Hopefully they do a Dark Road film.

Zackarix

Awards
He should have waited for the budget to open up now to do Dark Road instead of Missing-Link.

Hopefully they do a Dark Road film.
In addition to the timing not working out, it's possible that the form Dark Road took was the only way Nomura was able to get a game featuring Xehanort's backstory greenlit at all.

In theory Xehanort should be old news. He's the big bad of the Dark Seeker saga which was supposed to end with KH3. Missing-Link is part of the new direction the series is taking and will presumably feature new marketable concepts.

So under those circumstances it's possible that the choice wasn't between Xehanort's backstory getting told with 2D chibis or a game with a decent budget, but instead between accepting recycled KHUX assets or not getting told at all.

Back