• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Art Revealed

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Back in the day, Nomura would have a back-n-forth with a Disney staffer when drawing MDG. He'd sketch out what he'd want them to look like, then they'd redraw it on model, and he'd do it over again with his final revisions. Dunno if he's still doing that though.
That makes sense. Probably the main reason then, he probably doesn't want to go through the hassle of doing multiple Disney characters because of how time-consuming the process is. /sigh

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I just realised, there's no Hayner, Pence, and Olette! 😱

Probably the same reason as to why Ansem the Wise, Dilan/Xaldin and Aeleus/Lexaeus are missing.
Nomura was in a rush and didn't even finish this piece shortly before the event itself started.

And for a rushed work it's certainly looking dope.

Vaddix

Awards
There's probably tons of reasons some major characters didn't find their ways in (in part from the slightly lesser roles they played), but I am, perhaps foolishly, surprised Dilan and Aeleus, particularly Dilan, get sidelined so hard. If the KH3 chess set is any indication, it seems Nomura originally had plans for Xaldin to be one of the 13 Darknesses, right? I guess he had a hard left turn on that idea and hasn't come back.....though it does make me wonder why we still have his chess piece, both in the physical set and in the cutscenes.

And as many above have said, I'm just overall bewildered by Ienzo in the Org section. Like, sure, he was part of the old Org, and I guess traitors Demyx and Vexen are there as well, but...he definitely sticks out like a sore thumb, and sorta perks up some long-running suspicion I've had for Ienzo (or, Nomura's intentions for him) since before even the BbS days.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
Do we have a high resolution or HD version of this?

I need a new phone background

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
There's probably tons of reasons some major characters didn't find their ways in (in part from the slightly lesser roles they played), but I am, perhaps foolishly, surprised Dilan and Aeleus, particularly Dilan, get sidelined so hard. If the KH3 chess set is any indication, it seems Nomura originally had plans for Xaldin to be one of the 13 Darknesses, right? I guess he had a hard left turn on that idea and hasn't come back.....though it does make me wonder why we still have his chess piece, both in the physical set and in the cutscenes.
I remember before 3 when theorizing about the chess pieces that one was so obviously Xaldin. Did they change the chess pieces or did that one simply turn out to symbolize a different character?

Xaldin should've been there instead of Demyx or Luxord, but I know Luxord at least is one of Nomura's favs.

Vaddix

Awards
I remember before 3 when theorizing about the chess pieces that one was so obviously Xaldin. Did they change the chess pieces or did that one simply turn out to symbolize a different character?
As far as I'm able to tell (maybe someone has further info to clarify or expound?), that particular chess piece was one of the more confusing and contested pieces due to Xaldin's absence. The best bet was Dark Riku.

However, since the physical chess set has been put up for pre-order, the pieces were given names in the item description. That spiky dragon-head-esque piece was labeled as Xaldin's, while a flame-heart shaped piece that never appeared nor was alluded to in the game was labeled as Dark Riku's.

So the chess pieces were oddly never changed or replaced in-game. It almost seems to me like Nomura would've wanted Xaldin as part of the crew pretty late into development. In fact it makes all the more sense that both Dilan and Even were kept offscreen together recovering in DDD, if both were to be picked up for the New Org. Which again makes me wonder at what happened and why it feels like he 180'd so hard into trying to pretend Xaldin doesn't exist.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
As far as I'm able to tell (maybe someone has further info to clarify or expound?), that particular chess piece was one of the more confusing and contested pieces due to Xaldin's absence. The best bet was Dark Riku.

However, since the physical chess set has been put up for pre-order, the pieces were given names in the item description. That spiky dragon-head-esque piece was labeled as Xaldin's, while a flame-heart shaped piece that never appeared nor was alluded to in the game was labeled as Dark Riku's.

So the chess pieces were oddly never changed or replaced in-game. It almost seems to me like Nomura would've wanted Xaldin as part of the crew pretty late into development. In fact it makes all the more sense that both Dilan and Even were kept offscreen together recovering in DDD, if both were to be picked up for the New Org. Which again makes me wonder at what happened and why it feels like he 180'd so hard into trying to pretend Xaldin doesn't exist.
Fingers crossed Xaldin was promoted to an important role for the Lost Masters Arc.

Probably the same reason as to why Ansem the Wise, Dilan/Xaldin and Aeleus/Lexaeus are missing.
Nomura was in a rush and didn't even finish this piece shortly before the event itself started.

And for a rushed work it's certainly looking dope.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'd argue that it's my favourite Kingdom Hearts Key Art by Nomura to date.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can we just talk about the fact Nomura has forgotten to share the art online? Like maybe he is making edits or properly coloring it fully? But I’m just like ?????? It’s been days now.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Neato, seeing it as a magazine cover is always another proof of appreciation for an art piece.

And despite some characters missing I am still impressed how many Nomura managed to include when counting in this being a last 30 minute or something quickshot. :LOL:
Yeah, a few characters are missing. Among them are Xehanort's classmates. But no worries, the Dark Road cast are obviously being setup for Kingdom Hearts 5 lol.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
SE posted the artwork on the English KH accounts.

20th_anniversary_artwork.png

Last edited:
Back