• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will KH4 be the last part of the series ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nukara

Awards
I was thinking about it because MoM seemed like the final boss to me. However, judging by the statement, most likely on the contrary, it will be the beginning of a new arch.
After all, if you think about it, there are many stories that need to be completed. Therefore, I do not agree with those who say that Nomura scored on the rest of the characters. Ventus still has to get his memories back, besides there is a hint that Vanitas is alive , and since Aqua and Terra are connected to him, I think they will appear too. In addition, Kairi is studying with Aqua. Lea and Isa are interested in finding subject X. And since Roxas and Xion (And Namine) are associated with Axel/Lea, I think they will not be forgotten about them. Another thing is whether one game will be enough for this , or will they reveal a lot in future games ?

AR829038

Awards
Yeah, there's no way it's the end. Even if the Lost Master Arc is the final arc in the series (which I HIGHLY doubt), I imagine it's going to span several games. Probably not as many as the Dark Seeker Arc, because I think Nomura is wary of going that long again considering the fan impatience.

JJ1020

Awards
As long as it makes enough money to continue justifying new entries, no. This will almost certainly not be the final installment of the series.
Especially not after KH3 did as well as it did (by KH standards, anyways) and how well Sora was received for his appearance in Smash Bros.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Didn't Nomura state somewhere that the "Dark Seeker saga" was only laying the "groundwork" for what's to come anyways?

It just remains to be hoped that after the mess that the first saga turned out to be storytelling-wise he will put more thought into coherency and comprehensive storytelling this time around and plan a few things more ahead.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm sure that the Lost Master Arc will span at least 3 main title games.

DISNEY is clearly realizing now that they had a foot in the gaming community - without even knowing it - for years with KH. They want to get into every market and KH is their pathway into gaming. That's why they had so much influence and gave so much support for KH3 unlike all the other games (besides saying "no" to things).

With that said, KH is a perfect way to renew interest in older IPs and advertise newer ones. DISNEY will definitely not give up something like that so soon.

AR829038

Awards
Didn't Nomura state somewhere that the "Dark Seeker saga" was only laying the "groundwork" for what's to come anyways?

It just remains to be hoped that after the mess that the first saga turned out to be storytelling-wise he will put more thought into coherency and comprehensive storytelling this time around and plan a few things more ahead.
Don't mean to be a pessimist, but nothing in this trailer makes me think he's going to tone down any of his typical Nomura-isms going forward.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If KH4 was the final title it would have been advertised as a conclusion. For now the conflict will be about getting Sora(and Strelitzia probably) out of purgatory and back into the living world to face the Lost Masters

Kaweebo

Awards
If KH4 was the final title it would have been advertised as a conclusion. For now the conflict will be about getting Sora(and Strelitzia probably) out of purgatory and back into the living world to face the Lost Masters
Exactly. This is part 1 of a multipart epic. Expect another numbered entry down the line.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It's never going to end.

That said, with PIXAR and Star Wars on the cusp of overtaking this series and Nomura clearly not interested in the characters for their own sake but as vessels for enacting his lost XIII, I think I'd prefer if they just closed the book on Sora and Riku already and moved on to a new cast so I could drop this series. Especially if every installment that's even worth a damn is going to take 6+ years to release (and only have like eight worlds and no FF content). I really thought after 3, they had moved on to making the next games almost immediately to not repeat the last saga's mistakes, but we're looking at late 2024-early 2025 for 4's release. Just amazing when you consider KH2 came out only 4 years after KH1, and they didn't even know there would be a sequel when KH1 was released.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I really thought after 3, they had moved on to making the next games almost immediately to not repeat the last saga's mistakes, but we're looking at late 2024-early 2025 for 4's release. Just amazing when you consider KH2 came out only 4 years after KH1, and they didn't even know there would be a sequel when KH1 was released.

They did start almost immediately. The Osaka team hasn’t just been sitting on their thumbs for the last three years. There may not be much that is in a showable state yet, but that doesn’t mean a lot of work hasn’t already been done. It already seems farther ahead than KH3 was when it was announced.

KH2 didn’t have to deal with a global pandemic setting things back either. Not to mention game development is a lot different now than it was then.

I’m personally in no rush. I hope they take their time making a quality product and don’t force the developers to crunch. There’s also a good chance there will be other content releases before then if it’s going to take that long.

Henryp

Awards
It's never going to end.

That said, with PIXAR and Star Wars on the cusp of overtaking this series and Nomura clearly not interested in the characters for their own sake but as vessels for enacting his lost XIII, I think I'd prefer if they just closed the book on Sora and Riku already and moved on to a new cast so I could drop this series. Especially if every installment that's even worth a damn is going to take 6+ years to release (and only have like eight worlds and no FF content). I really thought after 3, they had moved on to making the next games almost immediately to not repeat the last saga's mistakes, but we're looking at late 2024-early 2025 for 4's release. Just amazing when you consider KH2 came out only 4 years after KH1, and they didn't even know there would be a sequel when KH1 was released.
Idk, I feel like KH3 was an amazing point to drop the series. Sora being "death" was a clear set-up for the following saga, any other lingering thread built over the first 16+ years ended.

People are terribly unfair with KH3 development cicle, as the game suffered from SE own problems trying to adapt their engines to the ps3/ps4 generation of platforms. In a sense, I am grateful that KH3 took it's time to come out, especially after Remind, because it could have been plagued with core problems impossible to solve (see FFXIII, original FXIV and day one FFXV).

KH4 development probably suffered from the pandemic, which affected every industry. KH2 was built on a fairly decent time period using the same platform the previous one did, for which game development was quickier, the same engine, didn't suffered a global event that stopped the world and even then it still released later than expected (Nomura himself claimed they presented it way too soon).

I don't mind waiting two, three or four years more for the next KH game, I have total faith that it will entertain me. In fact, I rather take the waiting than seeing something rushed just to have a new KH in time in a new platform, like DDD, that drove the storyline into such a corner that affected a lot of people perception of KH3.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
No, if anything I'm expecting more Kingdom Hearts in the future. With Disney making regular references to it now in some of their shows and KH making money for them, it's not ending. Disney could also promote some of their movies to gamers via Kingdom Hearts. I had never even heard of Tron until I played KH2 back in the day. It was because of KH I went and watched Tron and it's sequel Tron Legacy. If Disney wants a hand in the gaming world KH is a good way to have one.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Idk, I feel like KH3 was an amazing point to drop the series. Sora being "death" was a clear set-up for the following saga, any other lingering thread built over the first 16+ years ended.
Yeah, but Sora was never actually "dead." And neither was Riku, so your point?
I don't mind waiting two, three or four years more for the next KH game, I have total faith that it will entertain me. In fact, I rather take the waiting than seeing something rushed just to have a new KH in time in a new platform, like DDD, that drove the storyline into such a corner that affected a lot of people perception of KH3.
People say this, but it always rings so hollow. There is no reason whatsoever that a company can't make a videogame in a reasonable range of time. Six years for, what, a game that will have only eight worlds like KH3 did? That is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination. We aren't even talking about how long KH3 took anymore, as much BS as that was, we're talking about KH4 now. The fanbase will always be full of excuses, but I think Square Enix and Nomura deserve every scrap of criticism they receive.
There’s also a good chance there will be other content releases before then if it’s going to take that long.
That might be achieved with mobile games, but good, well-made games--even something along the lines of MoM or the side games--nah, no way they're going any faster. They're going as slow as ever.

SuperNova

Awards
With Disney officially recognizing Sora as an iconic Disney hero and the video game series as a whole the answer is going to be a resounding no. KH is going to continue for as long as they see fit.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
With Disney officially recognizing Sora as an iconic Disney hero and the video game series as a whole the answer is going to be a resounding no. KH is going to continue for as long as they see fit.
When was this?
That's almost as important as Phil recognizing him as a hero.

Henryp

Awards
Yeah, but Sora was never actually "dead." And neither was Riku, so your point?
My point is that the storylines of all characters were completed by the end of KH3. Sora saved all his friends and the world, Kairi and Sora shared the paopu, Riku became a master and no longer deals with the darkness inside and a long etc. The fact that more games with those characters, starting whole new storylines, will be made is a self-imposed reason not to drop the series. Anyone who wants to drop it, should be satisfied after KH3, maybe not how everything got resolved, but the fact that everything got resolved. If anyone is dissatisfied with how thing are going, they can leave now, as the storyline it's starting is brand new, almost free from the baggage that carried between KH -> KH3.
People say this, but it always rings so hollow. There is no reason whatsoever that a company can't make a videogame in a reasonable range of time.
Famous franchises that produce AAA or near AAA titles in less than 4-5 years between their main titles are the exception, not the norm, and that is only under normal circumstances. Again, let's not forget than during this era development was paused for months o even a year in all companies due to constant quarentine, movement restrictions among other policies almost every country took at some point between 2020 and today. Covid big break happened in March 2020, which was only like a month and a half after Remind, the main focus of KH team after KH3.
Six years for, what, a game that will have only eight worlds like KH3 did?
I can't believe people still bring this on 2022. While it's technically true that KH3 only had 8 Disney IPs (7 and a quarter to be honest), the game is far more than just 8 worlds. Even if we don't count all the levels that are also playable in the storyline, nor the final 3 put-together original worlds, nor the three big open gummi maps, 7 of those worlds are waaaay bigger than anything KH has done before. And again, 15 worlds like KH2 is the exception, KH and BbS had similar number or smaller number of worlds, only way smaller. Of course PS4 could handle bigger worlds and that was a given, but KH3 is still a full game with massive explorable areas comparable to any other game released at the time. Saying it took them 6 years to make 8 worlds is dishonest at best.

Back