• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS 20th anniversary trailer + event announced

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperNova

Awards
I'm fully confident we are getting a non numbered title in 2022 in conjunction with the 20th anniversary. As for a title that is on par/is a numbered title I would expect late 2023/early 2024 at the very earliest.

As for Star Wars, I don't care if we never get a world just give me a lightsaber keyblade for Sora to hold and a Chewbacca summon and I'll be happy.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Star Wars, however, I don’t see happening. Since around the time the sequel trilogy started, Lucasfilm started being very particular about not having their IP crossover with regular Disney stuff. This may have been a theme park only thing, but they used to have merch, events, etc. where Disney characters would be dressed as Star Wars characters and things like that. But then that all went away when they got more serious about the IP and there are now strict rules about Star Wars not crossing over with other Disney stuff. So Unless they’ve changed their minds on that approach, I think a KH/Star Wars crossover would be an uphill battle that isn’t really worth fighting for.
Disney Infinity had Star Wars. Before it was canceled they were even working on a story expansion where Aladdin and Yoda teamed up to fight battle droids invading Agrabah.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Disney Infinity had Star Wars. Before it was canceled they were even working on a story expansion where Aladdin and Yoda teamed up to fight battle droids invading Agrabah.

Disney Infinity ended around the time these changes starting taking place. They’re also meant to be toys and not the real characters, I believe.

Ralph Breaks the Internet also had Star Wars characters.

The thing with that movie is that it’s written off as being a world of the Internet. So it’s not the “true” characters but internet representations of them. They’re more particular about things that do (or at least appear to) actually take place within Star Wars canon (excluding parodies.) Which I think Kingdom Hearts visiting a Star Wars world would be too close to. Maybe they could appear in a Wreck It Ralph world though.

palizinhas

Awards
Disney Infinity ended around the time these changes starting taking place. They’re also meant to be toys and not the real characters, I believe.

The thing with that movie is that it’s written off as being a world of the Internet. So it’s not the “true” characters but internet representations of them. They’re more particular about things that do (or at least appear to) actually take place within Star Wars canon (excluding parodies.) Which I think Kingdom Hearts visiting a Star Wars world would be too close to. Maybe they could appear in a Wreck It Ralph world though.
I mean, there's absolutely nothing stopping SW in KH from being a fictional world in the Unreality where the characters are outright mentioned as being fake.

Zackarix

Awards
Disney Infinity was cancelled way back in 2016. That's plenty of time for the rules for handling the Star Wars brand to have tightened up. And the rules that KH has to follow with crossover interactions have always been stricter than Disney's own in-house stuff. They've even been known to backpedal on things that weren't problems before, such as summons becoming links because having the characters physically in other worlds was too close to crossing over for Disney's liking.
I mean, there's absolutely nothing stopping SW in KH from being a fictional world in the Unreality where the characters are outright mentioned as being fake.
I don't think we know enough about Unreality to even begin guess about how worlds in it will work.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Disney Infinity was cancelled way back in 2016. That's plenty of time for the rules for handling the Star Wars brand to have tightened up. And the rules that KH has to follow with crossover interactions have always been stricter than Disney's own in-house stuff. They've even been known to backpedal on things that weren't problems before, such as summons becoming links because having the characters physically in other worlds was too close to crossing over for Disney's liking.

I don't think we know enough about Unreality to even begin guess about how worlds in it will work.

Exactly. It’s not a coincidence that The Force Awakens came out at the tail end of 2015. It’s huge success is almost certainly what led to Disney tightening the reins and being more protective.

There’s always some possibility something could be worked out, but it would be a huge undertaking. Not only to work out the licensing, but also securing the actors’ likenesses, dealing with even more corporate/studio oversight, etc.

Plus, bringing in such a massive franchise may just overshadow KH itself. There’s so many great Disney and Pixar IPs they could focus their energy on instead. Also, while I love Star Wars and hate to say this, the last thing this series needs is to draw in a bunch of toxic Star Wars fans.

As for the Unreality thing, I think it would be a stretch that Lucasfilm still wouldn’t buy into it. And like Zackarix said, we don’t know enough about Unreality to assume Star Wars would work in that environment.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Exactly. It’s not a coincidence that The Force Awakens came out at the tail end of 2015. It’s huge success is almost certainly what led to Disney tightening the reins and being more protective.

There’s always some possibility something could be worked out, but it would be a huge undertaking. Not only to work out the licensing, but also securing the actors’ likenesses, dealing with even more corporate/studio oversight, etc.

Plus, bringing in such a massive franchise may just overshadow KH itself. There’s so many great Disney and Pixar IPs they could focus their energy on instead. Also, while I love Star Wars and hate to say this, the last thing this series needs is to draw in a bunch of toxic Star Wars fans.

As for the Unreality thing, I think it would be a stretch that Lucasfilm still wouldn’t buy into it. And like Zackarix said, we don’t know enough about Unreality to assume Star Wars would work in that environment.
This. All of this, is exactly why I don’t want Marvel and Star Wars worlds in Kingdom Hearts. If it’s just small nods, like a key chain or a mini game, fine. But not entire worlds.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Star Wars and Marvel as much as the next guy, but I’d just prefer if KH just stuck to the main Disney and Pixar stuff.

AegisXIII

Awards
Kingdom Hearts is all about the hype. The fact that we do not know the title of the next game makes it really hard for me to believe it is going to release next year.
Next year, will be the announcements, so that we can spend the next decade speculating. At most, we will get a spinoff title and a compilation. But kh4 is not gonna release anytime soon.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I feel like there's ways of doing a SW world. I'd settle for making it more of a smaller scale story, closer in nature to Mandalorian. Maybe play on the "A galaxy far far away" & have be a black hole on the world map that transports the gummi ship to the SW galaxy. Instead of fighting the entire Imperial fleet, it's a few ship assigned to investigating the black hole on the other side.

Zackarix

Awards
Kingdom Hearts is all about the hype. The fact that we do not know the title of the next game makes it really hard for me to believe it is going to release next year.
Next year, will be the announcements, so that we can spend the next decade speculating. At most, we will get a spinoff title and a compilation. But kh4 is not gonna release anytime soon.
Wasn't Melody of Memory announced in June 2020 and released in November of the same year? That shows that they are capable of keeping a project under wraps until a few months before release. I agree that a spin-off or compilation is the most likely scenario, but SE seems to have learned its lesson about announcing games long before they're ready for release.

the red monster

Awards
Verum rex/yozora spin-off game for 2022 with UX movie attached, and KH4 for 2023 is also a realistic possibility imo.

toniostarke

Awards
They're gonna drop KH4. It's gonna be an announcement for 4 or Verum Rex, im calling it right now

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Gotta agree that the signs are all pointing toward a KH4 announcement. They’ve been building hype for it since the extremely on-the-nose KH3 secret ending, with the square shape MoM makes with his hands. “Quadratum” as the literal Latin word for square is the icing on the cake, too blatant to ignore. Then there’s the NVIDIA leak. I genuinely see only a slim chance that KH4 ISN’T the next major announcement. The plot setup is all there, the momentum is there, the development time has been aplenty. They’re busy at work making KH4, I’m almost certain.

Zackarix

Awards
Here's an argument against the Quadratum/Verum Rex game being KH4: it would require a MAJOR departure from the formula. All the numbered games so far have been about Sora, Donald, and Goofy adventuring through Disney worlds. The set up for Quadratum involves Sora and Riku in a "fictional" reality outside their own. The set-up seems to line up better with a non-numbered game. It might even be the bridge game between KH3 and KH4, with whatever happens with the Master of Masters leading into a Foretellers plot in KH4.

And as for it being the focus of the secret ending? KH2's secret ending teased Birth by Sleep, which wasn't KH3 or KH0 (despite the fact that it probably could have been if more effort had been put into it.) So while Verum Rex might be the Next Big Thing in KH that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the setting for KH4.

NoWay

Awards
Could KH4 be an placeholder name in those leaks because everyone outside of the franchisee would assume that?

I also doubt that the next game is going to be KH4.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
it would require a MAJOR departure from the formula.
Fair, but I will point out Nomura has pretty explicitly said he’s hoping to dramatically change up the existing formula:

Naturally we can only speculate what he’s referring to, but at minimum I do think it means we can’t really take anything for granted. Which could, I’ll admit, just as well mean that numbered titles are a thing of the past—but that seems unlikely.

In general, I’ve never really understood arguments that look to KH’s past as a reliable indicator for future development trends. If there has been anything consistent about how past games were developed and released, it has been the lack of regularity and predictability. There is no overarching pattern. We’re comparing apples and oranges. The post-KH3 world is a completely different context than the post-KH2 or even post-KH1 world, both in terms of SE’s relative standardization/streamlining of game development (and what game dev even looks like) as well as strategy, given the magnitude with which KH3 exploded into the mainstream. Personally I think we should look at what would appear to make most sense for the series now as opposed to if we were still living in the early-2010s.

Zackarix

Awards
Fair, but I will point out Nomura has pretty explicitly said he’s hoping to dramatically change up the existing formula:
"Change the format a bit" is not the same thing as "dramatically change up the existing formula"
In general, I’ve never really understood arguments that look to KH’s past as a reliable indicator for future development trends.
Because by far the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. When you have a series with a history of having at least one major spin-off in between the numbered games and set-up for a sequel that diverges wildly from series norms (Quadratum stuff) while also having set-up for a sequel that's more in line with what's familiar (KHUX follow-up) it makes sense to assume that the more experimental stuff will be in one of the inevitable spin-offs unless stated otherwise.

I also suspect that the Quadratum game is intended to serve as a backdoor pilot for a Versus XIII reboot Verum Rex series. If it's successful expect to see more games starring Yozora, who is officially the property of Disney so SE can't repurpose Nomura's vision again.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
If it's successful expect to see more games starring Yozora, who is officially the property of Disney so SE can't repurpose Nomura's vision again.

I still think this is one of the smartest choices Nomura has ever made. Maybe not for the KH series itself, but to protect this story he desperately wants to tell.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
"Change the format a bit" is not the same thing as "dramatically change up the existing formula"
We’re nitpicking at this point, but yes technically it’s translated as changing up the format a bit and changing up the world drastically. Could mean any number of things so I’ll put speculating aside.

Because by far the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
I don’t disagree per sé, I guess what I was trying to point out is that what appears to us as continuity is to some degree illusory, given how much has changed behind the scenes over the course of 2 decades. That being said, you’re right in that it is still the same series with the same head creator and many of the same staff besides.

I also suspect that the Quadratum game is intended to serve as a backdoor pilot for a Versus XIII reboot Verum Rex series. If it's successful expect to see more games starring Yozora, who is officially the property of Disney so SE can't repurpose Nomura's vision again.
An interesting idea to be sure. I don’t know that I see a justification for diverging from Kingdom Hearts’ currently very strong brand, but I wouldn’t hate it.

Back