• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS 20th anniversary trailer + event announced

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I'm just terrified SE will produce the series and just send the completed files to D+ with no Disney involvement (in Unreal Engine 4, just to rub it in).

Imagine the look on the Disney exec's face opening the email attachment and witnessing something like KHx Backcover. Do they pretend the email got lost in the spam folder? Say they lost their Wetranfer password? Put it up on D+ then claim it was a hack?

Scary to think about.

Zackarix

Awards
I'm just terrified SE will produce the series and just send the completed files to D+ with no Disney involvement (in Unreal Engine 4, just to rub it in).

Imagine the look on the Disney exec's face opening the email attachment and witnessing something like KHx Backcover. Do they pretend the email got lost in the spam folder? Say they lost their Wetranfer password? Put it up on D+ then claim it was a hack?

Scary to think about.
MAYBE this would happen with a pilot, but there's no way SE would produce even part of a season without a guarantee of funding.

That being said they better start hiring actual writers again if they really want to make a D+ series, because if I were an executive and I received something that had KH's current level of writing quality without gameplay to fall back I'd politely pass on the project.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
MAYBE this would happen with a pilot, but there's no way SE would produce even part of a season without a guarantee of funding.

My fear is Disney will throw SE a bone by ordering direct-to-series. Not "let's make a KH series together while combining both our strengths" but "here, take this money. We're buying a KH series from you."

The latter has become a lot more common in the streaming era (and if I'm not mistaken D+ are starting too with their Asian programming orders). Usually it means creatives can work with a lot more freedom, far away from network execs. But it can also mean stuff like Backcover where no one has the guts to step in and say "QC" until the cursed images are burned into the retinas of unsuspecting children.

That being said they better start hiring actual writers again if they really want to make a D+ series, because if I were an executive and I received something that had KH's current level of writing quality without gameplay to fall back I'd politely pass on the project.

100%. Those initial reports made it seem like Disney were just asking Nomura to deliver a CG series and was amazed they'd consider blind-buying something from him to occupy such a high profile slot on their global streaming service.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Scary to think about.
Hahahaha

We should be happy to know that SE has a bit more professionalism when it comes to producing actual television/film content. Disney probably has their whole ass up in Nomura’s face about this project. When it comes to D+, especially since they are trying to get D+ Japan to be a success, they won’t let him just do his own thing alone.

SuperNova

Awards
I really hope that if we do get a KH D+ series its a retelling or soft reboot of KH1 just so thats its nice and easy. Even if Disney has their face in Nomura's face about a potential series, that man will still find some way to include pertinent canon information you can only get in the CG show and essentially make it Final Mix ++. That's my fear at least.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I really hope that if we do get a KH D+ series its a retelling or soft reboot of KH1 just so thats its nice and easy. Even if Disney has their face in Nomura's face about a potential series, that man will still find some way to include pertinent canon information you can only get in the CG show and essentially make it Final Mix ++. That's my fear at least.
A retelling of KH1 with a few alterations would be my pick for a series as well. Especially if it's only going to be one or two seasons. Though if it only gets a single season I could see the ending being more conclusive compared to the first game.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Last/first day of a month is definitely placeholder. Probably hints more at the general part of the year Square aims for if anything at all.

SuperNova

Awards
Those are definitely placeholder dates. I fully expect the next KH game in 2022, but idk 2023 for KH4 seems a tad too early.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
2023 huh? If it's somehow legit that's way earlier then I expected. At the very least we wouldn't get a news drought

Liodin

Awards
Does +4 years of development seem early for you guys? :cautious:

KH3 was 5 years with a new graphic engine, starting from 0. So, for me, that release date is totally feasible.

the red monster

Awards
Does +4 years of development seem early for you guys? :cautious:

KH3 was 5 years with a new graphic engine, starting from 0. So, for me, that release date is totally feasible.
yeah i don't understand the early comments lmao.
KH4 started development early-mid 2019.
i'm also pretty sure we will get another game before KH4.

Zackarix

Awards
i'm also pretty sure we will get another game before KH4.
This is why. After the gap between KH2 and KH3 the idea that they started developing KH4 immediately after KH3 released instead of another non-numbered game is unfathomable.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
This is why. After the gap between KH2 and KH3 the idea that they started developing KH4 immediately after KH3 released instead of another non-numbered game is unfathomable.

We found out right after KH3 that multiple new projects were in development. So not too far fetched to think at least one of those is KH4 or at least a game on similar scale to a numbered title.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
The gap between KH2 and KH3 was so long because Nomura was so persistent in using Toy Story world. In one interview he flat out says "No Toy Story world, no KH3" to Disney. Perhaps he pulled the same threat with Star Wars, but now Disney is taking KH more seriously, perhaps we could get KH4 earlier if they allow Star Wars (since Nomura IS a Star Wars fan....)

Zackarix

Awards
We found out right after KH3 that multiple new projects were in development. So not too far fetched to think at least one of those is KH4 or at least a game on similar scale to a numbered title.
Didn't the say there were four teams working on KH games at the time? Even if we assume that three of them were teams working on KHUX, MoM, and KH4 that still leaves one mystery project that may or may not be coming before KH4.
The gap between KH2 and KH3 was so long because Nomura was so persistent in using Toy Story world. In one interview he flat out says "No Toy Story world, no KH3" to Disney. Perhaps he pulled the same threat with Star Wars, but now Disney is taking KH more seriously, perhaps we could get KH4 earlier if they allow Star Wars (since Nomura IS a Star Wars fan....)
Nomura can say what he wants, but I very much doubt that Toy Story was a bigger factor in the gap than Fabula Nova Crystallis being a developmental disaster. Even if Disney and Pixar had given the approval for a Toy Story world the day Disney bought Pixar in 2006 the devs would have still been occupied with Versus XIII.

And please no Star Wars unless it's just little references or based on Legends.

NoWay

Awards
I’m really starting to doubt that we’ll get a new game in 2022. Maybe we’ll get another collectionfor the next gen consoles including a KH3 “Final Mix”, but tbh I don’t believe we’ll get a new game because we know NOTHING. I mean although they announced FF16 in 2020, we still don’t know its release date.

Also, 2022 seems already to be full of AAA Square games like FF Origins, FF16 and Forespoken. I really wonder when they could release the next KH game…

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Didn't the say there were four teams working on KH games at the time? Even if we assume that three of them were teams working on KHUX, MoM, and KH4 that still leaves one mystery project that may or may not be coming before KH4.

Nomura can say what he wants, but I very much doubt that Toy Story was a bigger factor in the gap than Fabula Nova Crystallis being a developmental disaster. Even if Disney and Pixar had given the approval for a Toy Story world the day Disney bought Pixar in 2006 the devs would have still been occupied with Versus XIII.

And please no Star Wars unless it's just little references or based on Legends.

Yeah something along those lines. As long the people behind the PC and Switch ports don’t count toward that. Lol. The other project could also be the Disney+ series. Either way, I’m confident that there’s a game in development in the scale of a numbered title that will likely come out late 2023/early 2024. Whether its official title is KH4 or not.

I also agree that Toy Story’s impact on KH3’s development was realistically minimal or not as big as the other posts make it out to be. It was more that Nomura wanted to explore the gimmicks of the handheld platforms while Versus XIII was being developed for consoles. It also allowed time for Disney to release more films to use for the game as the well was starting to run dry as of KH2 when it came to the major blockbuster films.

Considering Toy Story and/or it’s characters were almost in both KH1 and 2I, I think it could’ve been in KH3 anytime after Disney bought Pixar.

Star Wars, however, I don’t see happening. Since around the time the sequel trilogy started, Lucasfilm started being very particular about not having their IP crossover with regular Disney stuff. This may have been a theme park only thing, but they used to have merch, events, etc. where Disney characters would be dressed as Star Wars characters and things like that. But then that all went away when they got more serious about the IP and there are now strict rules about Star Wars not crossing over with other Disney stuff. So Unless they’ve changed their minds on that approach, I think a KH/Star Wars crossover would be an uphill battle that isn’t really worth fighting for.

Back