• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Evangelion - Anno apologizes about 3.0 + 1.0, 3.0 burned him out

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Looks like I'm taking my Platinum Edition set with me to the grave. I also would love to see some reviews on the quality of the Blu before doing a preorder. It seems to be hit-and-miss with older animation.
When the show was released on blu-ray in Japan in 2015, they reanimated the entire show in high definition - much like the Cowboy Bebop remaster. Here's the OP extracted from the Blu-ray. This was also the version given to Netflix for streaming so I don't know why they wouldn't use the same master for the international release.

Eva in HD

EDIT: Forgot to mention the original 16mm telecine version of Episode 16 was lost so that was mastered from a video print that was upscaled and it doesn't look great but the rest of the show definitely looks stellar.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Finally got to check out 3.0 + 1.0. I thought it was a solid ending! The character growth felt natural and animation was mind-boggling at times. See: that opening sequence with Mari using the gd Eiffel Tower as a spear and Gendo / Shinji's battle on that faux-sentai set. Just stellar. Though the gratuitous fanservice (for the hetero male gaze only, of course) just tarnishes it a bit for me. If I had taken a shot for each of Asuka or Mari's crotch or boobsicle frames, I would have alcohol poisoning. I feel like this retelling could have been all the stronger without it. However, on the whole, these Rebuilds have my heart just like the manga and the TV series. Started re-reading the books after the credits rolled. Hah.

When the show was released on blu-ray in Japan in 2015, they reanimated the entire show in high definition - much like the Cowboy Bebop remaster. Here's the OP extracted from the Blu-ray. This was also the version given to Netflix for streaming so I don't know why they wouldn't use the same master for the international release.

Eva in HD

EDIT: Forgot to mention the original 16mm telecine version of Episode 16 was lost so that was mastered from a video print that was upscaled and it doesn't look great but the rest of the show definitely looks stellar.

That looks really good! Sad news about episode 16. I don't know that I noticed it before watching my DVDs (or if this affliction happened before or after that release), but at least I'll have some context if I run into it. I'm heavily considering importing the 2015 Blu-rei (sry) set from Japan if it has FMttM intact.

Last edited:

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Finally got to check out 3.0 + 1.0. I thought it was a solid ending! The character growth felt natural and animation was mind-boggling at times. See: that opening sequence with Mari using the gd Eiffel Tower as a spear and Gendo / Shinji's battle on that faux-sentai set. Just stellar. Though the gratuitous fanservice (for the hetero male gaze only, of course) just tarnishes it a bit for me. If I had taken a shot for each of Asuka or Mari's crotch or boobsicle frames, I would have alcohol poisoning. I feel like this retelling could have been all the stronger without it. However, on the whole, these Rebuilds have my heart just like the manga and the TV series. Started re-reading the books after the credits rolled. Hah.

That looks really good! Sad news about episode 16. I don't know that I noticed it before watching my DVDs (or if this affliction happened before or after that release), but at least I'll have some context if I run into it. I'm heavily considering importing the 2015 Blu-rei (sry) set from Japan if it has FMttM intact.
So for the Japanese blu-ray release, the set from 2015 was kind of like an ultimate edition and goes for about $350-400. There is however, a basic set with the show and the original two films for about $200. Both versions have Fly Me to the Moon as far as I know. You may be able to access some dark powers on the internet with a computer blu-ray disc drive to put your subtitled translation of choice onto the episodes... but I do not know of such things.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
So for the Japanese blu-ray release, the set from 2015 was kind of like an ultimate edition and goes for about $350-400. There is however, a basic set with the show and the original two films for about $200. Both versions have Fly Me to the Moon as far as I know. You may be able to access some dark powers on the internet with a computer blu-ray disc drive to put your subtitled translation of choice onto the episodes... but I do not know of such things.

Yeah, subs/languages wouldn't be an issue, but I've been debating between the two sets.

Speaking of which, the GKIDS Collector's and Standard Editions have now dropped. UK/Ireland can order the Collector's Edition through Zavvi.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Now I'm just waiting for GKIDS to announce a Rebuild of Evangelion box set and blast Funimation into hell for good lol

LostArtist

Awards
Finished watching 2.22 of rebuild this past weekend.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Belluga

Awards
Finished watching 2.22 of rebuild this past weekend.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Hi wow it was great, btw where do you see all the Evangelion series, because netfilx only has the new version 🤔

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Hi wow it was great, btw where do you see all the Evangelion series, because netfilx only has the new version 🤔

Netflix has the original series and the original two films, Death (True)² and The End of Evangelion. Amazon Prime has the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy.

LostArtist

Awards
what hamster lord said :)

also I didn’t know this was an unpopular opinion until I really sort of looked it up online but does anyone else think the Netflix dub fits the characters more

I watched the whole series and death rebirth movie in all subs (original Japanese voices), then watched end of evangelion with Netflix dub. Then I watched first rebuild movie dub (original dub voices) and 2nd rebuild movie japanese with subs. And I think the Netflix dub voices sound closer to japanese voices. Like shinji in the new dub feels and sounds a lot more like the original jap voice to me than the old dub actors. (Not talking about translation or anything btw, just their voices)

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
what hamster lord said :)

also I didn’t know this was an unpopular opinion until I really sort of looked it up online but does anyone else think the Netflix dub fits the characters more

I watched the whole series and death rebirth movie in all subs (original Japanese voices), then watched end of evangelion with Netflix dub. Then I watched first rebuild movie dub (original dub voices) and 2nd rebuild movie japanese with subs. And I think the Netflix dub voices sound closer to japanese voices. Like shinji in the new dub feels and sounds a lot more like the original jap voice to me than the old dub actors. (Not talking about translation or anything btw, just their voices)
I haven't watched both dubs to completion and to be honest I feel like Eva needs to be watched in Japanese. The Netflix dub seemed okay but I honestly kind of hate the ADV dub. I know plenty of people who are fond of it because they grew up with it but to me it sounds like South Park's take on Eva. Also, Amanda Winn-Lee's tampering with the sound editing on End of Evangelion is a fucking crime. I cannot believe she got away with that. After the 3.0 dub debacle I really don't blame Studio Khara and Anno being a bit more hands on.

LostArtist

Awards
I haven't watched both dubs to completion and to be honest I feel like Eva needs to be watched in Japanese. The Netflix dub seemed okay but I honestly kind of hate the ADV dub. I know plenty of people who are fond of it because they grew up with it but to me it sounds like South Park's take on Eva. Also, Amanda Winn-Lee's tampering with the sound editing on End of Evangelion is a fucking crime. I cannot believe she got away with that. After the 3.0 dub debacle I really don't blame Studio Khara and Anno being a bit more hands on.
I know what you mean about ‘South Park’ sounding, I went back and saw some clips of adv dub and Shinji especially does not sound right to me, he sounds wacky for lack of a better description, the rest I have less of an issue about, but I definitely prefer Netflix dub voices over ADV. And yea original Japanese is always great, and it’s probably because I don’t understand Japanese, but original Japanese voices in anime always tend to sound more emotionally realistic for me.

Back