• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► So what is Kingdom Hearts definitive stance on Light and Darkness?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Guernsey

Awards
I always wondered about what Kingdom Hearts most definitive stance on Light and Darkness? I am always confused by this as it seems as though Kingdom Hearts tries to preach balance between "Light" and "Darkness" but all the villains in the series use the power of "Darkness". I know Kingdom Hearts tries to say, "Light and Darkness are two sides of the same coin" yet it seems as though that the "Darkness" is always portrayed as being evil in the franchise. I know most fantasy stories have this theme but what is Kingdom Hearts stance on this? And do you think it was explored well in the series?

Perkilator

Awards
They can both be destructive forces when in the wrong hands, but some are more biased against one particular side than others. That’s my viewpoint, anyways.

Lulcy

Awards
As far as what's shown on-screen light is a force of good and darkness a force of evil, at best darkness is a neutral force (only when the heroes use it). Otherwise, the series has done a poor job at justifying both sides being the same.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm hoping Phase 2 does a better job at showing a proper balance of Light and Darkness. We did get to see Light portrayed in a more negative way through Eraqus and his opposition to anything related to Darkness.

Maybe introducing a enemy group associated with Light might provide a good counter balance with the Heartless

Awards
I'm hoping Phase 2 does a better job at showing a proper balance of Light and Darkness. We did get to see Light portrayed in a more negative way through Eraqus and his opposition to anything related to Darkness.

Maybe introducing a enemy group associated with Light might provide a good counter balance with the Heartless
I mean, the MoM seems to be that light based villain considering he apparently has a hate boner for darkness.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
IMO they don’t even know. Kingdom Hearts is going through that phase that Star Wars went through after the OT where a bunch of writers and developers did whatever they wanted with the world building even if it meant contradicting previous attitudes and explanations of the force/light/darkness.
Kingdom Hearts 1 did a well job setting the basics and then CoM tried to do something with Riku that was jarring with the nature of darkness. He used darkness except he doesn’t. The only time he ever used it past CoM was only during gameplay.
Also I don’t think Light can be a corruptive force and Eraqus doesn’t count because the game practically spells it out that his obsession and fear of the darkness, gave way to darkness in him. Personally I think many people misunderstood the tragedy/irony of Eraqus, it’s not that the light was the problem but the negative emotions that enabled his fall.
If they do make a light enemy that just proves that they don’t have a set world building.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
At this point, I think it's "both sides are neutral and currently just naturally existing parts of the world. It depends on the user."
But also, "Darkness is naturally destructive no matter who uses it." Terra and Riku are examples of this, good flawed boys with great turmoil even though they used darkness for good at some points, it still lead to their downfalls.

There doesn't appear to be a downside to light. Yet. Unless "The Power of Waking" is considered a light power, then I guess using it too much costs your existence or something.

Lulcy

Awards
We did get to see Light portrayed in a more negative way through Eraqus and his opposition to anything related to Darkness.
Hardly comparable to how darkness has been portraited literally tearing Worlds apart (see KH1). Until Light does something similar on that scale it'll remain a far cry from being "another side of the same coin".

Wanderlust

Awards
Darkness is tied to negative emotions and imposing one's will upon others to steal their hearts and bodies. Light is tied to hope, openness, the capacity for empathy, forgiveness, and the ability to free one's heart from its sorrows. The "two sides of the same coin" context means that you could easily flip a switch on someone and have them act completely out-of-character. The series approaches this in a metacognitive way so that the characters are able to differentiate between a person and the darkness that influences them. This happens multiple times throughout and it's most made clear when Ventus confesses in Union X. The Union Leaders didn't see Ventus and Darkness as one and the same, which Ven thought so too until Vanitas corrected him.

What I found most interesting is that both Master Eraqus and Ventus knew that the right thing to do was to lock Ventus and the X-Blade away to prevent another apocalypse. It was seemingly paradoxical, but the main point was that Eraqus had the will to do it which might've led darkness to grow within and bond to his heart as well.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Hardly comparable to how darkness has been portraited literally tearing Worlds apart (see KH1). Until Light does something similar on that scale it'll remain a far cry from being "another side of the same coin".
Well I did say I wanted the idea explored further in Phase 2. They can take what they did with Eraqus and form it into actual villains or an enemy group.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Light good dark bad. But if use dark for light, then good.

We still have YET to see any of this "light based villain" stuff that gets spread around. Everytime light gets MiSuSEd, it ultimately gets linked back to darkness (Eraqus trying to kill Ven was his dorkness expressed as anger and regret of fail to save xeanhort, ven being half light half dark was actually DORKNESS™ body hopping him, etc)

people desperately want le Master obu Masuta to be big light bad but we still don't even know wtf he's trying to do lmao

Back