• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KINGDOM HEARTS middle-grade novel series by Brooke Vitale cancelled

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Brooke Vitale revealed in response to a Twitter user that the middle-grade Kingdom Hearts novel series she was slated to write has been cancelled. In another reply, she also revealed that the plan to make the series canon had been changed.

Back in 2019, it was discovered that Scholastic was set to publsh a series of new middle-grade Kingdom Hearts novels written by Brooke Vitale. The series was meant to introduce brand new heroes and new story to the rich legacy of the Kingdom Hearts franchise and had initially been slated to release May 2020. In 2021, Vitale revealed on her Twitter account that the series had been put on hold due to the pandemic

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, NEO: The World Ends With You and all things Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You!

AquaDeoxys

Awards
I know this probably isn't uncommon in the publishing world, but it sucks that all of the author's hard work is just thrown away. Hopefully we can learn what the series was supposed to be like one day.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, it really sucks. I'm especially bummed since the books weren't going to be canon which means they would have been easy to buy without any major frustrations bc of any story or lore contradictions.

I LOVE these sorts of side stories and what-ifs so it's just depressing that we are missing out on this :c

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I'm kind of OK with this

Interested to know what happened to back out of making the novels canon, and then ultimately canceling it altogether.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
dpj6a3x2w9v21.jpg

U.N. Owen

Awards
I honestly was looking forward to the series, especially since lacking a canon connection was going to make it easier to read. I guess this will be another mystery like what's in the box. Only one of them will be answered.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Not surprised it got canned. Would still love to know how this whole thing came about though.

I honestly was looking forward to the series, especially since lacking a canon connection was going to make it easier to read. I guess this will be another mystery like what's in the box. Only one of them will be answered.
We only found out the book was no longer going to be canon in this cancellation tweet.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Considering the timeline and original logline, my money has always been on Xehanort's training days, and this is what lead to Dark Road going into development.

PROVE ME WRONG, VITALE

Soldier

Awards
Well, at least we have that wonderful guidebook published by scholastic to be dispersed at book fairs across the U.S, with all of its grammatical errors and incorrect information, like the fact that Xaldin is a gambler and uses cards in battle.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This is a real shame. I was looking forward to see someone else explore the LH lore and universe.

I find it interesting that they initially made it non-canon and then canncelled it. Hope that someday we can learn what was planned for these books.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, at least we have that wonderful guidebook published by scholastic to be dispersed at book fairs across the U.S, with all of its grammatical errors and incorrect information, like the fact that Xaldin is a gambler and uses cards in battle.

Can’t believe we got that trash (they didn’t even include Xigbar but have a page about Luxu that doesn’t even mention his time as Braig/Xigbar) but not Brooke’s book.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Scholastic is also releasing another KH book in the near future. A coloring book or something, I forget.

2 quid is good

Awards
Was it really because of Coivd or something (or one) else?

I'm not too surprised but I am disappointed, I also didn't expect it to stay canon for long once Nomura got wind of it (or did he already know about it? I don't recall seeing that he did)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Was it really because of Coivd or something (or one) else?

I'm not too surprised but I am disappointed, I also didn't expect it to stay canon for long once Nomura got wind of it (or did he already know about it? I don't recall seeing that he did)
Vitale cited Covid for the reason behind the delayed release back in January. So I guess something happened in the last two months that brought it from that to straight up being cancelled.

But yeah, I think we all figured from the moment we read the listing on Amazon that Nomura, if/when he finds out, would not be happy that someone was trying to insert their own canon into his series (which I get). I'm actually surprised it wasn't canned earlier when we first reported on it. We'd reached out to SE back when the listing first went up to ask about it so it's not like they didn't know. Maybe they didn't take it seriously until they saw that this was actually going to release? idk lol

AegisXIII

Awards
But... is it allowed to sell a book on an ip that doesn't belong to you?

Back