• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► WandaVision

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Has anyone seen Mulholland Drive? A coincidental Pietro recast that looks like Fox Peterbut doesn't actually mean anything but to play on audience perceptions is such David Lynch thing.

WandaVision is a Lynchian TV show that borrows from Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive. People shouldn't be disappointed if it turns out to be "nothing". Because it isn't.

The scene below, one of the greatest in cinema history imo, is an example. Dreams, reality, the fuzzy line dividing them, and our own role as audiences are on display.

Not only does the character struggle to come to terms with the unreality of his existence, but we come to terms with our role in it and it's role in us. The fourth wall break here isn't to yank a character from x-men as a reality check for Wanda (and us) but to yank a character from his dreams ("I see him through the walls. He's the one who's doing it." Doing what, exactly? Is that man the director? Is he us?) as a reality check that he isn't actually real; that he's part of a movie (that's my own interpretation; others are available).

Now, I don't think people's fears that Peter won't be explained are founded. The show will almost certainly give an explanation (and it'll probably be weak and contrived). But if they didn't, it's not a sign of weak storytelling. There's a thematic and subtextual reason even if it doesn't serve the plot.

Mwahahahahaha Fiege just kind of lent some credence to my own hope that the casting had us in its sights and not the characters in the show. Breaking the fourth (fifth?) wall and bringing us into the hex:

Asked about casting Evan Peters as "Pietro," he says they came to that casting decision "early on in the development process...as a way "certain people" were messing with people." Winks at a "catchy song."

I like that.

If they actually go through with this I'll be very impressed, very happy to be right in interpreting it, very happy to be wrong in assuming they would chicken out, and very excited for the outcry that is sure to follow :ROFLMAO:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It wasn't my favourite
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Not just best episode yet. Best single 40-minute chunk of the entire MCU.

Outstanding in every single way. A devastating mediation on grief, loneliness, and displacement.

Never thought the MCU would slow down this much. So glad it is.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Unrelated to the episode, but I'm wondering if her relationship with Clint will be elaborated (in either another ep, show, or movie). Because from what I recall, he was the closest to Wanda besides Vision.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Generic backstory told in a generic way.

😱

There's around 20,000 minutes in the MCU. I've watched all of them.

Today's episode was the best 40 minutes in the whole thing. It's honestly jarring how much better WandaVision is than all other output by Marvel Studios. Makes it harder to appreciate everything else upon rewatch.

There's plenty to appreciate in art beyond plot reveals. Not everything has to be about plot. Some films don't even have plots. I rewatched today's episode ten minutes after the credits rolled. And it absolutely slayed me the second time as much as it did the first. I'm usually very critical of superhero stuff, and even the ones I do enjoy I feel are the film equivalent of tasty junk food.

Wandavision isn't junk food. It's a lean homecooked meal crafted by a master chef in expert command of their craft. Today's episode didn't feel like an American superhero film, it felt like a character study you'd find in European slow cinema. That can be jarring if we're raised on easier diets. I honestly think WandaVision is up there with the best TV shows in recent history, but that depends on whether they stick the landing next week.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
😱

There's around 20,000 minutes in the MCU. I've watched all of them.

Today's episode was the best 40 minutes in the whole thing. It's honestly jarring how much better WandaVision is than all other output by Marvel Studios. Makes it harder to appreciate everything else upon rewatch.
Well maybe for the MCU it was the best lol. But for stuff outside the MCU, it's pretty generic.

I will save my final opinion on WandaVision after the last episode airs because that can affect it... but honestly at this point, I actually think the show has been a disappointment. In the middle it had a ton of potential, but then it severely lacked pay off and dragged out stuff to hold on to the mystique. The pacing for the show was just all over and the storytelling was decent at best, but it was essentially made to have weekly surprises and cliffhangers to guarantee Disney+ subscribers for months. I'm not even looking forward to next week for the resolution of Wanda's story, all I care about is what major reveals will happen (which at this point I think will be none). It really is not a good show and I definitely don't think it will be enjoyable to rewatch.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
But this show is a good example of giving people what they need rather than what they want. It was for me at least.

Brilliant way to put it.

I love how brave they were with toying with us as Wanda toyed with the residents of Westview.

A TV show about someone living in a TV show watched by others on a TV in the show brings us all into that very hex by manipulating us in a very direct way.

We've been so transfixed on watching the drama unfold in this very voyeuristic manner, with unhinged joy at someone's suffering as we theorize from the comforts of our beds and couches.

The show makes us complicit in her pain and then sweeps the rug from under us as we find out WandaVision was watching us watch it all along: Your adorable theories must be so fun but have you ever had your family killed in front of you as you tried to escape the war next door via the idyll of an idealized suburban America?

The Fietro twist being that there is no twist is an act of narrative subversion that will challenge for the greatest coup de theatre in TV history. It's almost cinematic vandalism.

Last edited:

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
So I didn't know this, but WandaVision is a combination of two comic series, House of M (Where Wanda changes reality ) & The Family (A story where Vision creates his own Nuclear Family and lives in the Suburbs). I knew about The Family, but I didn't know anything about House of M. I mean, I've heard of it, but never took interest to find out what it's about.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
So I didn't know this, but WandaVision is a combination of two comic series, House of M (Where Wanda changes reality ) & The Family (A story where Vision creates his own Nuclear Family and lives in the Suburbs). I knew about The Family, but I didn't know anything about House of M. I mean, I've heard of it, but never took interest to find out what it's about.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Fingers crossed that it happens 🤞

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Falcon and the Winter Soldier has some real big shoes to fill after WandaVision is over.
I think it'll be fine. It's going to hit on racial issues surrounding a black Captain America among other things related to that. They are being clever with their marketing by hiding a key aspect of this show's story. I'm excited by the premise even though I fear it won't go as far as it should considering Marvel's relationship with the US military, but I do know it'll at least broach the subject of unethical experimentation and exploitation of underprivileged groups.

While it isn't some wild and zany magical plot like Wandavision, it'll be special in its own way.

Also Sebastian and Anthony have major chemistry so their buddy cop schtick as Bucky and Sam is going to be enjoyable to watch.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I think it'll be fine. It's going to hit on racial issues surrounding a black Captain America among other things related to that. They are being clever with their marketing by hiding a key aspect of this show's story. I'm excited by the premise even though I fear it won't go as far as it should considering Marvel's relationship with the US military, but I do know it'll at least broach the subject of unethical experimentation and exploitation of underprivileged groups.

While it isn't some wild and zany magical plot like Wandavision, it'll be special in its own way.

Also Sebastian and Anthony have major chemistry so their buddy cop schtick as Bucky and Sam is going to be enjoyable to watch.
True, and it's likely to be more traditional MCU action/comedy fare so it does have that going for it.

AegisXIII

Awards
I will watch it tonight in my timezone. I just want to know: is the ending satisfying? Did your mind blown?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I will watch it tonight in my timezone. I just want to know: is the ending satisfying? Did your mind blown?
I liked every bit with Kathryn Hahn. There were several bits of it that were disappointing but I won't say what they are yet since people would only be finishing the show right now if they are watching straight away.

Back