• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► POCAHONTAS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I was scrolling through all the DISNEY movies on DISNEY+ and came across this old movie "Ugly Dachsunds" that has this long warning before the movie about how it was insensitive to people's cultures and contains poor cultural representation. Apparently they're including this for all previous works that were racist. I went to check Pocahontas, but it's not on there. Does anyone know why and/or if DISNEY will ever include this warning on "Pocahontas"?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This is pure speculation, but my best guess is that Pocahontas is still too recent for Disney to feel comfortable admitting that it was cultural insensitive. Either because they don't see it or because they're too ashamed to admit that even in the mid 90s they still weren't quite as respectful as they would have liked to have been. With a lot of the other ones they could easily just say "That was a long time ago" Pocahontas probably isn't old enough for that.

They might also be scared to label a movie that was somewhat popular as problematic and offending people that really like this romanticized and stereotypical depiction of the native Americans. I wouldn't be surprised if when they do the Anti-progressive peeps will start complaining about PC culture ruining everything, they always do.

Neither of these explanations are really strong though, so there might be more to it?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Because it means they gotta admit they were wrong over a major IP they’re still profiting from.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
They still profit off several animated films that have a warning beforehand. For example:

Peter Pan and Dumbo are two of their biggest films. The Aristocats is huge in France at least, I've heard? I think the difference must be that those films feature racial stereotypes (L&tT is another one in that vein), while Pocahontas is an inaccurate adaptation. Look on the bright side though, I believe Pocahontas was in consideration to become the Splash Mountain replacement, but they ultimately went with Tiana and TP&TF. I'm super glad about that because it's the reason TP&TF has been getting more attention and merchandise (and a Disney+ show!).

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
They still profit off several animated films that have a warning beforehand. For example:

Peter Pan and Dumbo are two of their biggest films. The Aristocats is huge in France at least, I've heard? I think the difference must be that those films feature racial stereotypes (L&tT is another one in that vein), while Pocahontas is an inaccurate adaptation. Look on the bright side though, I believe Pocahontas was in consideration to become the Splash Mountain replacement, but they ultimately went with Tiana and TP&TF. I'm super glad about that because it's the reason TP&TF has been getting more attention and merchandise (and a Disney+ show!).
There was no way after the Summer of 2020 that they were going to pick Pocahontas to replace the already "racist" Splash Mountain.

Maybe they can come up with a different disclaimer before Pocahontas? Like say that it is an inaccurate adaptation of a real life historical figure, then provide a link to Pocahontas' wikipedia page or something if they want to be educated on the facts.

Barrett

Awards
Considering the warning is also attached to the original Aladdin and both of its sequels, I don’t think Disney cares how “recent” something is.
Oh wow, I just checked and yeah, the warnings are on those movies. While not necessarily as huge as those movies or Pocahontas, I also put up the first episode of the Timon & Pumbaa series the other day and that also had the warning as well. I think it's just a matter of time before the warning also gets put up on Pocahontas.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I think eventually it'll make it on there. They just are really slow about it. Aladdin didn't have it until recently because I watched it early 2020 and it didn't have it.

They've been a bit busy trying to actually get the service off the ground, though. I'm not surprised they haven't added a warning, but it'll happen eventually.

LittleNightmare

Awards
I don't know why, but when my parents showed me Pocahontas as a child, I didn't like it at all.
Since that moment, I have not watched this cartoon even once, now I think I'll look, suddenly after 20 years I will like it.

Back