• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What are some things that you wish weren’t in the games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Vulpes XIII

Awards
It can be anything from the games, for me it would be:

Characters

Luxord - I don’t know why but I just dislike everything about this character since he first appeared.

Worlds
Monstro, Wonderland, Space Paranoids, The Grid, La Cite des Cloche - All these worlds are annoying and boring in my opinion.

Bosses and enemies
Hot Rod, Dancers, - I find these enemies really annoying and its gets worse with Dancers when trying to get through Cavern of Remembrance.

LeechGrave and Ruler of the Sky - I find both of these bosses to be tedious.

Trick Master - I really dislike this boss in all games and wish it would stop showing up especially in Re:Chain of Memories as it is very difficult and the attack sleights won’t work thanks to its height and trying to survive while waiting for the table to reappear so you can hit it or use magic sleights is difficult due to having a limited number of cards since it near the beginning of the game meaning your wasting cards since you have to keep card breaking if your lucky to have any 0‘s and reloads are very risky.

Data Demyx - I would be fine with this fight if it wasn’t for the beat 99 water clones in 10 seconds part.

All Luxord fights (except the Keyblade Graveyard) as i don’t like the time gauge and I don’t think whether you can pick the right card or not should determine whether you get a game over.

Plot
The only things I can think of at the moment is it felt rushed in 3 and the lack of plot in Melody of Memory.

In terms of dialogue it would be

Atlantica songs

Donald - “ This might be a good spot to find some ingredients” - I would be fine hearing this once or twice in the game but I would rather not hear it every 5 minutes.

Other stuff
Olaf Mini game - this game is annoying and I was not happy I had to do it twice.

Donald uses fire magic on Axel, Blizzard on Vexen, Thunder on Larxene - I wish he would stop healing the enemy and heal Sora instead.

What do you wish wasn’t in the game, I’m curious what everyone else thinks?

legacier

Awards
The first thing I'd get rid of would be Vanitas for sure. He's written like a 13 year old emo kid's edgy anime OC, and I cringe almost every time he speaks. I'd also get rid of Yen Sid because his main purpose is to explain away plot holes and retcons, which shouldn't even be necessary. He's just a crutch Nomura uses to excuse his repeated failure to plan the story out ahead of time.

Swing

Awards
All the Disney stuff. At this point, it is just filler and contributes nothing to the story. All that time could have been spent on characters that desperately needed some development such as Kairi and Naminé.

Awards
I will have to think about this more deeply, but for now I would have to say my biggest complaint are some aspects of the writing like time travel, which are used to fix the plot whenever the writers please. And I don't like some of the voice acting in KH3 (Young Xehanort, Larxene, and Master Xehanort).

the red monster

Awards
All the Disney stuff. At this point, it is just filler and contributes nothing to the story. All that time could have been spent on characters that desperately needed some development such as Kairi and Naminé.
This.
people hate the idea because kingdom hearts is pretty much a crossover and a disney game.
but if they not gonna bother making disney stuff relevant to the actual plot then no thanks.

Chie

Awards
It would also be Disney for me, not because it's all bad but because it's very inconvenient for Nomura's sprawling personal story to be attached to the carefully controlled Brand of an evil megacorp. There's a lot I'd miss, but it means I could actually recommend KH to people. (On the other hand, it probably never would have sold enough to be a series anyway, so... it's a curse we have to live with.)

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
It would also be Disney for me, not because it's all bad but because it's very inconvenient for Nomura's sprawling personal story to be attached to the carefully controlled Brand of an evil megacorp. There's a lot I'd miss, but it means I could actually recommend KH to people. (On the other hand, it probably never would have sold enough to be a series anyway, so... it's a curse we have to live with.)

Or, just ditch Nomura.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Yeah, you're right, you could make the series purely an expression of Brands with no humans behind it whatsoever, why didn't I think of that one

Au contraire!

It saddens me how much the latter day Kingdom Hearts series almost completely forgoes attempts at critiquing our childhood branded heroes while it cherishes them. After all, Kingdom Hearts I was defined by just how subversive it was. It recontextualised and repackaged the brands in a way that imbued so much pathos and thematic heft that even today I'm still stunned it was allowed to exist.

Chain of Memories served up a beautiful exploration of memory, trauma and our nostalgia for imagined pasts. At times, it was as philosophically complex as either Blade Runner film, which tackled similar themes around 15 years before and after the GBA game was released. If the original Blade Runner's moving still (Elissa Marder in Camera Obscura, 1991) illustrated the folly of relying on material traces of memory, Chain of Memories focuses on a rather more metaphysical aspects of false memory. Either way, neither of those games were mere 'expressions of brands' even though the first one was almost solely fixated on them! They were so good because they constituted more than the sum of their Disney parts.

So what has happened since then? How did a bunch of sprites on a dot-matrix display tell a story so taut, so melancholic, so funny, so creepy, so desperately sad, and why hasn't Nomura replicated this simple, clean, and devastatingly effective narrative since?

Could it be that he and his politburo just stumbled onto these heady concepts by accident? I refuse to believe that they didn't mean to make something so profound; but then why does it feel like it? Kingdom Hearts, the subject of the series and the object of its characters' desires and fears, is a terrific conceit. So why has this pillar of the series turned from deistic mystery to eye-rolling macguffin?

The issue, in my opinion, with Nomura's Kingdom Hearts series is precisely what you rally against, it is an uncritical expression of brands; both Disney ones and the Kingdom Hearts brand itself. There's no subversiveness. The original characters have been rendered plot devices for the series' own muddied, edgy, story; one that has long passed sprawling and has entered a phase of runaway nuclear fission. Melody of Memory indicates he's doubling down on it when I suspected Kingdom Hearts III was his way of reeling it all in.

Where is the character development, the pathos, the intimacy, the philosophical questions it asked (and wisely never tried to answer)? Those are what made Kingdom Hearts special, not (merely) the brands. That's what has been lost recently and it isn't Mickey Mouse's fault. It's Nomura's.

Glimpses remain, of course: A Fragmentary Passage is a near-masterpiece of tight, well-written storytelling. 0.2 wasn't an expression of brands. In fact, the little branding it did have was (quite literally) deconstructed and reconstituted in Kingdom Hearts' image over the course of four hours. To be frank, I was shocked at how good it was when I finally played it this summer. So why does what came after feel so deflationary in comparison?

Nomura has failed to come to terms with his own series' innocence.

Last edited:

Chie

Awards
Okay, that's not a terrible analysis, I just assumed something worse when I read "they should take Nomura away from the Disney" because "get this weird shit out of here" is the mainstream reaction to KH in general.

I don't think you can blame not liking the series as much now on one person, though, since KH has a pretty big team of other writers who are always rotating. There are many many factors to consider here that are generally off-topic so I won't get into it.

KeyToDestiny

Awards
whenever i feel like kh is going in a direction i don't agree with, i come into one of these threads, and they always make me feel better because fan ideas are so much worse
Ageeed. Most of these suggestions are completely terrible that it makes me glad they have zero input on anything regarding KH.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m not against time travel in fact I like it, but I wish they would stop abusing it In the story like it’s some last resort to use every time they write themselves into a corner.

This is really the only thing I agree with in this thread.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I spent most of the day trying to think of what I didn't want in the series and the only things I could come up with are time travel and Maleficent post KH1.

Maleficent because of how pointless she has been since coming back and time travel for reasons stated by other members

Soldier

Awards
Arendelle in its current form. That's it.
Really? i'd say ditch Arendelle entirely. All it does is show how much of a stranglehold Disney still has on its properties. Might sound like a broken record, but if they chose a different movie like brother bear to fit that world slot, they'd likely have more creative freedom as Disney cares less about it.

I spent most of the day trying to think of what I didn't want in the series and the only things I could come up with are time travel and Maleficent post KH1.

Maleficent because of how pointless she has been since coming back and time travel for reasons stated by other members
Maleficent post KH 1 is just embarassing, Woman can't even do a hostage situation properly. So much wasted potential on a character that can move around as a SWIRLING GALAXY and summon meteors like it's nothing. In KH 5 if she doesn't try robbing the moogles I'm out.

Chie

Awards
I kind of love Maleficent specifically for those reasons. That's another thing I won't go into in detail, but I think everything about her is both thematically appropriate and hilarious at the same time.

disney233

Awards
A vast majority of ocs. Time for a good ol' fashion culling. They're the reason why Disney and Final Fantasy are just so irrelevant. Not only are their so many wasted opportunities in place of the ocs, but most of them are also either bland or poorly fleshed out. I apologize to people who love the trios, but in my personal opinion, I have no attachment for any of them except SDG. (I also love Mickey and Riku's dynamic)

Back