• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Could Quadratum Pave The Way For Marvel And Star Wars In Future Games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
The only issue with Star Wars is that Lucasarts gave exclusive rights of the franchise to EA which makes their inclusion much more difficuilt than Marvel as Marvel Games is fairly lienient with third-party collaborations as shown by Fortnite.

Hmm, well, I guess we would have to see how things would work out on that front, business-wise.

The question is how much legal drama does SE want to put up with?

Indeed, that would be the question!

Disney owns Kingdom Hearts. At worst there's creative differences but it's evident that Marvel Games are more lienient with the treatement of their characters and worlds compared to Disney-proper.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where things weren't so complicated on the business side of things?

Those exclusivity rights seem to only cover new Star Wars console games. Nothing about their deal excludes crossovers and mobile games. If that were so, there wouldn’t be the SW mobile games on the market by Disney and their other partners, or everything in Fortnite lol

And it seems even the console game thing is fairly loose since Tt Games is making LEGO Star Wars.

Ah, that seems to be very interesting! As there's different branches of Star Wars games that EA doesn't make, so I guess Disney just juggles which companies makes which specific amount of games.

I can't begin to properly express my disdain for the idea of Marvel and Star Wars in KH.

Those properties are just too damn big to be done right in any capacity. Either one could easily occupy multiple KH games in their entirety and still have more leftover. There's no way a single world or whatever could capture what fans want from these characters/stories. They already have enough trouble making that happen with singular Disney films.
Also, these two franchises are literally everywhere and I already can't stand it as it is. Please just let me have KH.

Big Hero 6 is about as much as I think we should ever get, a standalone work that doesn't invite and entire multiverse of other properties.

That is a very understandable viewpoint. Both franchises are so huge in scope that it would technically be impossible to please everyone. Still though, I would very much invite the possibility should it arise!

Let's not forget, SE has been handed over Marvel property before, actually the biggest money making IP they had. It was a total shitshow. Yes, any gamer, casual or cringe, know that has nothing to do with KH, but any C-level officer worth their salt will know to bar access to this specific IP to a partner who has caused large financial losses, while granting concessions to the ones that proved liquid and profitable.

It seems as though things are shaky on that front at times. Didn't the Avengers game flop? Well anyway, I'm sure that Nomura would find a way to work around things if the need would ever arise. I guess we'll never know till it does happen.

I'd pin the blame on their Europe execs for that. The way they operate things on their Western front is way different from the way things are ran on the Japanese side. I can see Marvel being hesitant to work with Crystal Dynamics again, but if KH were ever thrown a bone on that front, it would be championed by SE Japan, Disney Japan, and DCP execs which I doubt Marvel could easily reject based on what happened with CD, a completely different studio.

Also Marvel didn't lose anything (big) out of their deal. SE paid the hefty licensing fee so Marvel made their money on the massive launch sales. Of course, the lack of meaty dividends from consistent microtransactions would probably be something to think about, but eh...SE's really the only one suffering from this whole thing.

Disney stuck with EA even after the controversy surrounding Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II. I don't think they care much about the failures of their partners as long as they get the revenue from initial sales.

As the old saying goes: "It's all about the money." I remember the whole controversy surrounding the modern Battlefront games, and I must say, it was quite a doozy!

I just want Spider-Man in KH dude

Have him be a party member with his MvC moveset or something, reuse the Web of Shadows plotline if ya have to

Please

I jusr want Sora and Spider-Man together

Just do it dammit

I WANT S P I D E R - M A N
View attachment 13433

Maybe a perfect way to slowly tease Marvel into Kingdom Hearts would be to have Spidey himself as a summon or have him appear in one of the original worlds, with maybe a storyline of him trying to make his way back to his home!

A Spider Man themed Keyblade would be pretty sweet. The transformation could give Sora a suit complete with Web Slinging and Spidey sense :p

Oh, that does sound badass! I'd be up for it!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
]Ah, that seems to be very interesting! As there's different branches of Star Wars games that EA doesn't make, so I guess Disney just juggles which companies makes which specific amount of games.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think it is as strict as it is made out to be. It isn't like EA is making a SW game every year either, so they probably have stipulations in the contract to allow more flexibility among other partners as long as it doesn't step on EA's toes.

Disney isn't going to leave money on the table, either. Fortnite, LEGO, their mobile games--that is all hugely profitable for them and at the end of the day they are the licenser. They have control over who gets to do what with their property.

It seems as though things are shaky on that front at times. Didn't the Avengers game flop? Well anyway, I'm sure that Nomura would find a way to work around things if the need would ever arise. I guess we'll never know till it does happen.

It had strong launch sales, being the top selling game during the month it released, and Black Friday sales have given it a boost, but it lost over 90% of its player base within two months of it launching which isn't a great sign for a live service game. It also hasn't been attracting newer audiences despite the massive appeal of the IP.

The bloated budget was probably going to be supplemented by a consistent player base buying currency for costumes, but the lack of any content in the post-game all but ruined that economy.

So yes, it is a flop. It lost SE $60m. There is still time for them to make this work for them, but who knows if they will be willing to put the money into it. If they are smart, they will take the opportunity to soft relaunch the game when the new gen versions release, but I'm not too hopeful because I think a lot of the flaws of the game are rooted in the design of the game which would make it near impossible to fix.

As the old saying goes: "It's all about the money." I remember the whole controversy surrounding the modern Battlefront games, and I must say, it was quite a doozy!

Yes, it was considering it dragged the whole industry into it with the microtransaction issues that gained worldwide attention from government bodies. It's hilarious. EA managed to recover fine when they put out Jedi Fallen Order, though xD

I wonder what Sony would say about it, honestly. They still own Spiderman, right?

Nah, only the film rights. They do seem to have a tiny bit of leverage with the character considering in Marvel's Avengers he's a Playstation exclusive character, but I think it is probably for brand synergy.

Spider-Man and Spider-Man lol were in Marvel Ultimate Alliance on Switch, and Spider-Man was also in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite which was a multiplatform release which just goes and shows there aren't really any limitations on the character's use.

The only Marvel characters that were in any major rights limbo were the X-Men and F4 because Fox had appearance rights and not just film/TV rights or something ridiculous.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The only issue with Star Wars is that Lucasarts gave exclusive rights of the franchise to EA which makes their inclusion much more difficuilt than Marvel as Marvel Games is fairly lienient with third-party collaborations as shown by Fortnite.
Not that exclusive. Aspyr has been porting older SW games to various platforms for a while now. I have the podracing game on Switch & EA's name doesn't come up anywhere. Disney Infinity had SW content added well after EA acquired the license.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Yeah, exactly. I don't think it is as strict as it is made out to be. It isn't like EA is making a SW game every year either, so they probably have stipulations in the contract to allow more flexibility among other partners as long as it doesn't step on EA's toes.

Disney isn't going to leave money on the table, either. Fortnite, LEGO, their mobile games--that is all hugely profitable for them and at the end of the day they are the licenser. They have control over who gets to do what with their property.

Not that exclusive. Aspyr has been porting older SW games to various platforms for a while now. I have the podracing game on Switch & EA's name doesn't come up anywhere. Disney Infinity had SW content added well after EA acquired the license.

True, there are games like Disney INFINITY, Lego Star Wars and ports of older Star Wars games but I just don't see that being equivalent to adding Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts.

Disney is indeed the licenser, but unless there's a clause for Star Wars to be non-exclusive in a case-by-case basis, I just see the likeliness of Star Wars being in Kingdom Hearts to be very low for now.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
True, there are games like Disney INFINITY, Lego Star Wars and ports of older Star Wars games but I just don't see that being equivalent to adding Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts.

Disney is indeed the licenser, but unless there's a clause for Star Wars to be non-exclusive in a case-by-case basis, I just see the likeliness of Star Wars being in Kingdom Hearts to be very low for now.

Why do you not? The equivalent of adding Star Wars to KH would be the exact same as it being added into Fortnite. Keep in mind that Fortnite has canon lore to Episode 9.

It is very clearly a case-by-case basis, and crossovers do not count to the exclusivity deal. KH would be exactly that—a crossover. And KH is a Disney IP at that, which makes things even less problematic to any existing deals.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I apologize. Sometimes the dead just speak...

poe.jpg

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I actually think using the new realm or dimension of Unreality could be a good way to incorporate Marvel or even Star Wars. They'd be fictional universes separate from the rest of the KH Universe/Multiverse. That way you don't have to worry about the lores conflicting too much.

While I'm open to the inclusions of the properties (I'd love to fight alongside the Wolverines) I'd prefer sticking primarily to the Disney Animated Studio features.

I personally don’t want Star Wars or Marvel in Kingdom Hearts as I feel that if they appear in the series given how big a fanbase both have and how popular they are I feel that Disney would push Sora and the others aside and give all the spotlight to Marvel and Star Wars and I don’t want to have a repeat of what happened in KH3 where the movie becomes more important than the actual plot of the game.
I could see that potentially happening with Star Wars, seeing there's primarily only one take on the main story. Star Wars only has like two canons, and most things made from that property feed into the same continuity be it "Canon" or "Legends".
Last thing we need is some canon adventure leading into the Ashoka series within a Kingdom Hearts game.

However Marvel on the other hand is super malleable the characters have been reinvented countless times over the decades they've existed. If there ever were to be an incorporation of them, I'd imagine they'd be KH original versions/takes on them. Sure I'd imagine they'd be primarily based of the movie counter parts, but there are tones of sources they could draw upon to make their own version of Marvel's New York.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
However Marvel on the other hand is super malleable the characters have been reinvented countless times over the decades they've existed. If there ever were to be an incorporation of them, I'd imagine they'd be KH original versions/takes on them. Sure I'd imagine they'd be primarily based of the movie counter parts, but there are tones of sources they could draw upon to make their own version of Marvel's New York.

Come to think about it, isn't Quadratum just a stylised version of Japan? A stylised version of New York featuring Marvel characters would make absolute sense as a new "world" within the reality of Quadratum.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If Quadratum ushers in Star Wars/Marvel, that may be a can of worms. I think Quadratum is the perfect place to do it, however if you introduce them and Quadratum is no longer in the picture... then what? People will want more Marvel/Star Wars, which means that if Quadratum is no longer necessary to the plot, we will never see them again?

It would be amazing if the replacement live action world to The Caribbean is Star Wars. I would want them to do Episodes 4-6. They can easily just have the "world" called "A Galaxy Far Away", so whenever people jump worlds, Sora and the gang can use the Gummi Ship OR to "maintain order" they have to travel with Luke and Han on the Falcon.

OrionGold

Awards
I’ve been a huge fan of the idea of treating Star Wars and Marvel like Winnie the Pooh. Have the lore already established but modified to fit Sora within it. Marvel can use comics and Star Wars can use Holocrons, add the datascape to the mix and viola.
Not sure about Star Wars being accessed through Holocrons, but I do like the idea of using comics to access the Marvel Multiverse.

redcrown

Awards
At this point there should be a Marvel and Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts thread since the subject creeps up in every single thread in this forum.

I've never really wanted either to be in KH since I'm not a fan of either property and the vibe/lore of both of them wouldn't blend well into it imo, but Absent's idea seems like the best implementation it could ever have, since it's a step apart from being in the series proper and more of an optional easter egg world(s).

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I’ve been a huge fan of the idea of treating Star Wars and Marvel like Winnie the Pooh. Have the lore already established but modified to fit Sora within it. Marvel can use comics and Star Wars can use Holocrons, add the datascape to the mix and viola.
I'd personally have gone with VHS, DVD or just a TV screen for Star Wars. But generally i am a fan of using the 100 Acres Wood mechanic for them. Have them be worlds of fiction Sora and Co can access.

Back