• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Could Quadratum Pave The Way For Marvel And Star Wars In Future Games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Hello there, everyone! Hope you are all well!

I had been thinking about something for a bit, and while in the forums here, something @KeybladeLordSora said confirmed what I had already been thinking, and that resulted in this thread!

For years, we've often debated on the presence of Marvel and Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts, and it continues to be an ongoing discussion. BUT, with the recent developments that Melody Of Memory provided us...what if Quadratum, the realm of unreality, can pave the way for Marvel and Star Wars?

As we've seen, it's quite clear that Quadratum is a whole other beast compared to the realm in which the main KH cast live. So much of this realm of unreality is still such a mystery, but with Yozora's home being such a departure from what we're used to seeing in the franchise, could it be possible that Nomura could use this new element of the story to introduce worlds that might have otherwise not "meshed" well in the realm we do know?

I honestly think this would be a perfect opportunity, as there's so much potential with including Marvel and Star Wars! Long ago, I was more skeptical of the idea, but in recent years I began warming up to the idea more. I love both of these branches of entertainment dearly, and to see them represented in Kingdom Hearts someday would be a treat, especially since there's so many characters and themes that would really resonate with the Kingdom Hearts Universe!

Heck, Birth By Sleep is like a homage to Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith, and last I checked, Nomura himself had said once that he was a huge fan of Star Wars! And wasn't that one Gummi Ship stage, Assault On The Dreadnaught, a homage to the Death Star from A New Hope?

Anyways, what do you all think?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'd definitely welcome this idea. I feel that Yozora and his companions interact with the cast of Star Wars would be more interesting than Sora, Donald and Goofy.

Marvel, on the other hand, may end up playing slightly differently. I could see Square Enix and Marvel Games collaborating to create a Marvel Nomuraverse in which we have Marvel characters but they're essentially Kingdom Hearts OC's designed by Nomura and have unique origins that are tied to the world of unreality. Nomura's no stranger to designing Marvel characters.

BeFunky-collage-scaled.jpg

KudoTsurugi

Awards
While it is a possibility, I’d honestly rather not have Marvel or Star Wars show up in Kingdom Hearts, outside maybe small Easter eggs. Those two properties are universes unto themselves, and in Marvel’s case, multiverses. So if you were to add kingdom hearts in the mix, it'd be best to have a very specific Earth in mind from the Marvel multiverse to use.

Personally, Kingdom Hearts being a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy is enough for me. The addition of Pixar was fine for me because they were essentially associated with Disney since their first feature movie, even if they weren’t officially owned by them at the time. But ultimately, that’ll be up for Square Enix to decide.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It feels inevitable. Don't know about Marvel, but Star Wars feels like it's going to happen sooner or later. It could even be the next Pirates world for phase 2 in that it's the realistic one. I don't want it to. The last thing I want is to play through the Star Wars movie plot with Sora or whoever just watching in the background.

Unless they do Revenge of the Sith and Terra is the main character. That would be a out of body experience that would feel warranted. But otherwise I think Star Wars will come. As long as they don't dive deep into Star Wars lore I can tolerate it. Marvel feels like it would just be BH6 again if used.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I personally don’t want Star Wars or Marvel in Kingdom Hearts as I feel that if they appear in the series given how big a fanbase both have and how popular they are I feel that Disney would push Sora and the others aside and give all the spotlight to Marvel and Star Wars and I don’t want to have a repeat of what happened in KH3 where the movie becomes more important than the actual plot of the game.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
BH6 was the perfect inclusion marvel fans could have ever hoped for and I personally wish it just ends there. It's a perfect blend already of marvel/disney and the aesthetic/storyline was able to mesh pretty well with KH values. I loved BH6 because it didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me, even though it clearly was, because it had such a heavy emphasis on how people deal with grief. It felt less about the "superhero" aspect and more about the characters.

I haven't seen very many marvel films, to be honest, but the ones I've seen I find them to pretty awful slogs to get through. The idea of a specific superhero in name alone isn't enough of a pull to get me to enjoy something and there is something about the movies that just feels a bit awkward to me. Not sure exactly what it is but it feels more like they are movies about superheroes with human elements thrown in like garnish, rather than that being the point of the film at its core. I'm sure a ton of people will disagree with me about that, and point out lots of human moments throughout the marvel cinematic history, but I just never felt like there was a really convincing meshing of it for me.

Maybe I just don't like superheroes and think they are a bit cheesy, I dunno, so I kind of dread seeing much more of it.

Regardless, due to its popularity I am sure we are going to get more marvel but I just really really hope it isn't treated like a normal "world". It is such a dense property with its own massive scope of lore that it would be really really hard to implement and have all the fans be happy.

I'm sure they can find a way to mesh it into KH-- like others have said, blending other genres is what KH has been doing since the start. I just assume they would have to do something a bit abstract since there are SO many super heroes with their own films and settings. It would honestly probably make more sense to either just pick ONE like...hanging out in NY with Spiderman or helping a few random superheroes with some very specific task than it would be to follow along with a gang of heroes doing a full mini movie plot.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I doubt MCU or live action Star Wars content will ever find its way into the franchise, even with the introduction of whatever the hell the unreality or Quadratum are.

What I think will happen down the line is Marvel animated characters or original depiction of Marvel characters will find there way into the series in the future.

I also think SW animated stuff will end up in the series. The Clone Wars, Rebels, and now the Bad Batch are things I could see easily blending in without pushing into the cinematic content and overwhelming lore.

But again, I think that will be a long ways off. It's already a difficult feat working with Disney. Working with Marvel or Lucasfilm will be even larger hurdles that I don't think Nomura or any SE Japan execs want to deal with.

Awards
I’m gonna be honest, I am not in the pro camp. BH6 was enough for me. Final Fantasy cameos who were named after SW characters were enough for me.

That's fair. It's completely understandable.

Star Wars can just be a "far far away" galaxy. Have a black hole like in KH1 serve as the means of reaching it.

Ooh, that sounds like a neat idea!

I'd definitely welcome this idea. I feel that Yozora and his companions interact with the cast of Star Wars would be more interesting than Sora, Donald and Goofy.

Marvel, on the other hand, may end up playing slightly differently. I could see Square Enix and Marvel Games collaborating to create a Marvel Nomuraverse in which we have Marvel characters but they're essentially Kingdom Hearts OC's designed by Nomura and have unique origins that are tied to the world of unreality. Nomura's no stranger to designing Marvel characters.

BeFunky-collage-scaled.jpg

Wow, these look amazing! And I agree, Nomura has his own ways of bringing existing characters into the fold in a way that's interesting and doesn't necessarily mesh with the movies or comics!

I like the the idea. Though I figured even without the "Realm of Unreality" Marvel and Star Wars would slowly drip into the franchise during Phase 2 anyway

True enough! I guess all we have to do is wait and see for now!

While it is a possibility, I’d honestly rather not have Marvel or Star Wars show up in Kingdom Hearts, outside maybe small Easter eggs. Those two properties are universes unto themselves, and in Marvel’s case, multiverses. So if you were to add kingdom hearts in the mix, it'd be best to have a very specific Earth in mind from the Marvel multiverse to use.

Personally, Kingdom Hearts being a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy is enough for me. The addition of Pixar was fine for me because they were essentially associated with Disney since their first feature movie, even if they weren’t officially owned by them at the time. But ultimately, that’ll be up for Square Enix to decide.

That's perfectly understandable. At the end of the day, the whole concept of Disney and Square was the whole selling point to begin with. Whatever Square decides to do in the future, and whatever Nomura has planned, I'll trust his judgment.

I want it to happen just to spite people that believe that they’re not compatible. New flash: The premise of this franchise is the unlikely marriage of two incompatible worlds.

Haha, yeah, I get you. XD

It feels inevitable. Don't know about Marvel, but Star Wars feels like it's going to happen sooner or later. It could even be the next Pirates world for phase 2 in that it's the realistic one. I don't want it to. The last thing I want is to play through the Star Wars movie plot with Sora or whoever just watching in the background.

Unless they do Revenge of the Sith and Terra is the main character. That would be a out of body experience that would feel warranted. But otherwise I think Star Wars will come. As long as they don't dive deep into Star Wars lore I can tolerate it. Marvel feels like it would just be BH6 again if used.

Oof, having Terra see Anakin's descent to the Dark Side would be quite the strong parallel to his fall to the darkness! That would be poetic to see! <3

They can have Sora show up right smack dab in the middle of the Clone Wars.

As someone who fiercely loves The Clone Wars, I second this!

I personally don’t want Star Wars or Marvel in Kingdom Hearts as I feel that if they appear in the series given how big a fanbase both have and how popular they are I feel that Disney would push Sora and the others aside and give all the spotlight to Marvel and Star Wars and I don’t want to have a repeat of what happened in KH3 where the movie becomes more important than the actual plot of the game.

That is another problem that would present itself. As in trying to balance out the characters we know with the characters being introduced. An understandable concern.

BH6 was the perfect inclusion marvel fans could have ever hoped for and I personally wish it just ends there. It's a perfect blend already of marvel/disney and the aesthetic/storyline was able to mesh pretty well with KH values. I loved BH6 because it didn't really feel like a superhero movie to me, even though it clearly was, because it had such a heavy emphasis on how people deal with grief. It felt less about the "superhero" aspect and more about the characters.

I haven't seen very many marvel films, to be honest, but the ones I've seen I find them to pretty awful slogs to get through. The idea of a specific superhero in name alone isn't enough of a pull to get me to enjoy something and there is something about the movies that just feels a bit awkward to me. Not sure exactly what it is but it feels more like they are movies about superheroes with human elements thrown in like garnish, rather than that being the point of the film at its core. I'm sure a ton of people will disagree with me about that, and point out lots of human moments throughout the marvel cinematic history, but I just never felt like there was a really convincing meshing of it for me.

Maybe I just don't like superheroes and think they are a bit cheesy, I dunno, so I kind of dread seeing much more of it.

Regardless, due to its popularity I am sure we are going to get more marvel but I just really really hope it isn't treated like a normal "world". It is such a dense property with its own massive scope of lore that it would be really really hard to implement and have all the fans be happy.

I'm sure they can find a way to mesh it into KH-- like others have said, blending other genres is what KH has been doing since the start. I just assume they would have to do something a bit abstract since there are SO many super heroes with their own films and settings. It would honestly probably make more sense to either just pick ONE like...hanging out in NY with Spiderman or helping a few random superheroes with some very specific task than it would be to follow along with a gang of heroes doing a full mini movie plot.

That is a very solid argument right there! I do believe, though, that Nomura would find a way to make these characters mesh with the series, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be worlds, per se, but through the characters and their themes and having them appear in other worlds. It's all a matter of knowing where to put who.

I doubt MCU or live action Star Wars content will ever find its way into the franchise, even with the introduction of whatever the hell the unreality or Quadratum are.

What I think will happen down the line is Marvel animated characters or original depiction of Marvel characters will find there way into the series in the future.

I also think SW animated stuff will end up in the series. The Clone Wars, Rebels, and now the Bad Batch are things I could see easily blending in without pushing into the cinematic content and overwhelming lore.

But again, I think that will be a long ways off. It's already a difficult feat working with Disney. Working with Marvel or Lucasfilm will be even larger hurdles that I don't think Nomura or any SE Japan execs want to deal with.

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's all about the companies coming into an agreement on what properties to use. But if anything, I definitely agree that the animated Star Wars shows would be a perfect pick for Kingdom Hearts!

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The only issue with Star Wars is that Lucasarts gave exclusive rights of the franchise to EA which makes their inclusion much more difficuilt than Marvel as Marvel Games is fairly lienient with third-party collaborations as shown by Fortnite.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The only issue with Star Wars is that Lucasarts gave exclusive rights of the franchise to EA which makes their inclusion much more difficuilt than Marvel as Marvel Games is fairly lienient with third-party collaborations as shown by Fortnite.

Those exclusivity rights seem to only cover new Star Wars console games. Nothing about their deal excludes crossovers and mobile games. If that were so, there wouldn’t be the SW mobile games on the market by Disney and their other partners, or everything in Fortnite lol

And it seems even the console game thing is fairly loose since Tt Games is making LEGO Star Wars.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I can't begin to properly express my disdain for the idea of Marvel and Star Wars in KH.

Those properties are just too damn big to be done right in any capacity. Either one could easily occupy multiple KH games in their entirety and still have more leftover. There's no way a single world or whatever could capture what fans want from these characters/stories. They already have enough trouble making that happen with singular Disney films.
Also, these two franchises are literally everywhere and I already can't stand it as it is. Please just let me have KH.

Big Hero 6 is about as much as I think we should ever get, a standalone work that doesn't invite and entire multiverse of other properties.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Let's not forget, SE has been handed over Marvel property before, actually the biggest money making IP they had. It was a total shitshow. Yes, any gamer, casual or cringe, know that has nothing to do with KH, but any C-level officer worth their salt will know to bar access to this specific IP to a partner who has caused large financial losses, while granting concessions to the ones that proved liquid and profitable.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Let's not forget, SE has been handed over Marvel property before, actually the biggest money making IP they had. It was a total shitshow. Yes, any gamer, casual or cringe, know that has nothing to do with KH, but any C-level officer worth their salt will know to bar access to this specific IP to a partner who has caused large financial losses, while granting concessions to the ones that proved liquid and profitable.

I'd pin the blame on their Europe execs for that. The way they operate things on their Western front is way different from the way things are ran on the Japanese side. I can see Marvel being hesitant to work with Crystal Dynamics again, but if KH were ever thrown a bone on that front, it would be championed by SE Japan, Disney Japan, and DCP execs which I doubt Marvel could easily reject based on what happened with CD, a completely different studio.

Also Marvel didn't lose anything (big) out of their deal. SE paid the hefty licensing fee so Marvel made their money on the massive launch sales. Of course, the lack of meaty dividends from consistent microtransactions would probably be something to think about, but eh...SE's really the only one suffering from this whole thing.

Disney stuck with EA even after the controversy surrounding Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II. I don't think they care much about the failures of their partners as long as they get the revenue from initial sales.

Back