• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► Dark Road: Chapter 3 - The Purpose of the Journey

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

astertide

Awards
I didn't say unnatural but I did imply "exclusively natural." We know children have a lot of light, it's why the world was rebuilt. Maybe it's because the Tweedles are kids who live in world that doesn't believe in common sense?

As of right now, the only natural pure lights we know of are the Princesses. Purity that was induced artificially was Ven (and possibly one other), but right now we don't know if he's still pure, though the ReMind dialogue implied that might still be the case...probably.

I was referring to Ansem the Wise calling the Princesses of Heart unnatural.

I think.

Actually now I'm not even sure he said that.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
That luscious hair though...

It really is a gorgeous mane, while his face is the most baby of them all.

Baldr.png

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Will the xBlade be relevant again, tho?
Who knows? But seeing it is needed to get to Kingdom Hearts, I'd be surprised if it didn't comeback at somepoint. Especially seeing they introduced only half of the New Seven Hearts.

My point was more they introduced a concept in DDD and have since ignored it.

Like why even mention that the xBlade broke into 7 light pieces and 13 of darkness. Explaining that the seven became the princesses of heart, while not explaining what happened to the dark pieces.
Unless that was an accident and the point was just that you need 7 lights and 13 darks to really make the xBlade.

astertide

Awards
Who knows? But seeing it is needed to get to Kingdom Hearts, I'd be surprised if it didn't comeback at somepoint. Especially seeing they introduced only half of the New Seven Hearts.

My point was more they introduced a concept in DDD and have since ignored it.

Like why even mention that the xBlade broke into 7 light pieces and 13 of darkness. Explaining that the seven became the princesses of heart, while not explaining what happened to the dark pieces.
Unless that was an accident and the point was just that you need 7 lights and 13 darks to really make the xBlade.

What do you mean? Don't the 13 Seekers of Darkness represent the 13 dark pieces of the X-Blade, and the 7 light pieces could be either the 7 Princesses of Heart and the 7 Guardians of Light? The X-Blade didn't literally shatter into the Princesses of Heart, did it?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
What do you mean? Don't the 13 Seekers of Darkness represent the 13 dark pieces of the X-Blade, and the 7 light pieces could be either the 7 Princesses of Heart and the 7 Guardians of Light? The X-Blade didn't literally shatter into the Princesses of Heart, did it?
While they don't explicitly say it, it is strongly hinted at.

In DDD's secret ending Yen Sid say the light of the xblade was devided into seven to protect the number of pure hearts in the worlds
Mickey then said they were the seven princesses of heart and Yen Sid agreed.
Which i took as, the seven hearts contain the light of the xblade.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
While they don't explicitly say it, it is strongly hinted at.

In DDD's secret ending Yen Sid say the light of the xblade was devided into seven to protect the number of pure hearts in the worlds
Mickey then said they were the seven princesses of heart and Yen Sid agreed.
Which i took as, the seven hearts contain the light of the xblade.
This.

There's a lot of confusion about it, just like the Shibuya argument, notably on the wiki, which is a shame because the wiki looks really good, Scala letters and all, but that's beside the point. BTW, someone please fix it! There's too many mistakes in it.

I actually have a different interpretation to it. I took it to mean that the (natural) pure hearts are a separate agency from the χ-blade, given that MX could forge an imperfect one with Ven and Vanitas, and the actual one by going against the Guardians, who are clearly not princesses (except Kairi). I interpreted it as the 7 lights of the χ-blade are not the hearts of the princesses. However, the χ-blade could be made by striking down the princesses if the guardians were not available.

Someone please clear it up once and for all.

Last edited:

astertide

Awards
So if we don't know what the 13 pieces of darkness are, and Xehanort didn't use whatever the original 13 pieces of darkness were, does this mean that the X-Blade that Sora is currently holding now isn't the original X-Blade?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This.

There's a lot of confusion about it, just like the Shibuya argument, notably on the wiki, which is a shame because the wiki looks really good, Scala letters and all, but that's beside the point. BTW, someone please fix it! There's too many mistakes in it.

I actually have a different interpretation to it. I took it to mean that the (natural) pure hearts are a separate agency from the χ-blade, given that MX could forge an imperfect one with Ven and Vanitas, and the actual one by going against the Guardians, who are clearly not princesses (except Kairi). I interpreted it as the 7 lights of the χ-blade are not the hearts of the princesses. However, the χ-blade could be made by striking down the princesses if the guardians were not available.

Someone please clear it up once and for all.
Interesting i assumed that like how Ven and Van could fordge a incomplete xBlade, the Guardians and Seekers could fordge a new xBlade. Where as the pieces of the original could also be used to fordge a new one.

This is another example of KH being super vague so either is possible.

The reason why i figure that the Princesses have the xblade's light is because their light is said to be special and it keep the worlds from falling into darkness,. Which sounds like something a uber powerful weapon like the xblade would enable. Plus their hearts put together create a special keyblade.

So if we don't know what the 13 pieces of darkness are, and Xehanort didn't use whatever the original 13 pieces of darkness were, does this mean that the X-Blade that Sora is currently holding now isn't the original X-Blade?
At the current point in time we don't know. Like the clashing of the 20 hearts could have either forged a new one or rebuild and summon the old one. Either is possible.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I kind of object to the "Disney background is BS" argument considering how well written the Disney stuff is in this chapter. The stuff between how they break down the politics of the world to the poem they cite from the movie/book is actually pretty good.

I credit Dark Road for not only swiftly ending the Disney world chapters but actively discussing them when they return to Scala Ad Caelum.

Yeah, I thought of that! Especially if Subject X turns out to be Skuld, then we know that the machine pod things don't always take them to the same point in time.

Ventus - four years before BBS
Skuld - sometime in Terra-Xehanort's time as a researcher
Ephemer - mid-KHIII...? (probably earlier)
Lauriam - maybe around 5 years before Days?
Elrena - maybe about the same as Lauriam, give or take a few years?
Brain - two generations before Eraqus?

I like your theory, however, I'm more inclined to believe that four pods were used and that they had Lauriam, Elrena, Ventus and Skuld time-travelling to the future to the Birth by Sleep time period. Marluxia and Larxene seem to be the same age as Axel and Saix so all the survivors of The Age of Fairy Tales being flung to the same time period makes the most sense to me.

That makes two of us. "Only those that return pass it" where were they sent to and what is their mission?

Maybe the Mark of Mastery during Dark Road is travelling between different worldlines? I mention that only because the Verum Rex connections are slowly starting to manifest. Yozora did mention to Sora upon meeting him that he was going through trials.

astertide

Awards
I like your theory, however, I'm more inclined to believe that four pods were used and that they had Lauriam, Elrena, Ventus and Skuld time-travelling to the future to the Birth by Sleep time period. Marluxia and Larxene seem to be the same age as Axel and Saix so all the survivors of The Age of Fairy Tales being flung to the same time period makes the most sense to me.

But Skuld and Ventus don't arrive at the same time.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
But Skuld and Ventus don't arrive at the same time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that has not been confirmed.

If anything, it looks to me as they did arrive at the same time period at the same time, they were just transported to different locations. Assuming Subject X is Skuld, it aligns up. When Lea and Isa meet Ventus for the first time, they initially planned to go into the Radiant Garden Castle to try and find Subject X but Lea kills time by trying to cheer up Ventus.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, it's only been stated that Subject X disappeared in the year of Apprentice Xehanort's stay in the castle. This doesn't mean, she didn't first appear there 4 years prior, when Ven first showed up in the current timeline.

If anything BBS implies she's already in the castle.

The only thing that speaks against her first appearing 4 years pre-BBS is that she, Lea and Isa are all the same age and she already looks to be 15ish in UX.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I got ninja’d but yeah, @Clue.Less is right. The secret report says Subject X was found by Apprentice Xehanort. None of them arrived at the exact same time and place.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I looked it up and you are right.

That said everyone else looks like they would, if they were 10~15 years older, so i think it's somewhat save to thnk that most of the union leaders, confirmed to have traveled into the future, appeared within the 4/5 years between Ven and Skuld.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I looked it up and you are right.

That said everyone else looks like they would, if they were 10~15 years older, so i think it's somewhat save to thnk that most of the union leaders, confirmed to have traveled into the future, appeared within the 4/5 years between Ven and Skuld.
We’re not quite sure about Lauriam yet. Xigbar, or should I say Luxu, “found” Lauriam’s nobody sometime after the Organization was already formed, a few good years after BBS since Zexion’s body had grown from when Ienzo stopped existing.

Then again, he could be lying and found Marluxia long before and just decided to induct him some years later when the time was right.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
We’re not quite sure about Lauriam yet. Xigbar, or should I say Luxu, “found” Lauriam’s nobody sometime after the Organization was already formed, a few good years after BBS since Zexion’s body had grown from when Ienzo stopped existing.

Then again, he could be lying and found Marluxia long before and just decided to induct him some years later when the time was right.
Well he could have found Marluxia later on closer to KH1, but Lauriam could have been around for a few years before, seeing he does look to be in his 20s like Axel

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
What if they all arrived at the same time but then got separated? And something happened to Skuld that turned her into "something else" (since she doesn't seem to know "what" she is). I can see Lauriam and Elrena roaming around in tandem for a few years before they were turned into Nobodies and found.

But back on topic:
I really liked this chapter. I thought the Disney part was very good—I'm realizing that maybe watching it with the sound turned off helped take whatever lightness there might be to Wonderland away. The tweedles always creeped me out as a child, and that scene felt particularly threatening, as we know that, in the numbered games, curiosity / the pursuit of knowledge is linked to taking the dark road. So the scene really felt like a cautionary tale and not just a filler, absurd cameo.

The flash animations are gorgeous. Vor hitting Eraqus is hilarious. (What happens if it's another character on the team?) I also liked the Scala part that goes from blinding light in the sky to the shadows under the characters.

Then of course, reading the names of the seven deadly sins is very interesting. I wonder if there is an in-universe explanation for the Foretellers having those names. Did the MoM give them those names and the masks to hide their faces? Is it part of the plan that they are named after sins, if Darkness latches on those negative traits?

I like the non-goofball side of Eraqus starting to show. I can get how he and Xehanort could part ways. I can't wait to see the friends start realizing they're not sharing the same views.

That Mark of Mastery mission sounds very fishy, and Odin is looking suspicious. I hope the missing sister turns out to be a badass character and not just a missing girl/sister again.

(...)

The opening scene, too. It's beautiful.

Back