• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Evangelion - Anno apologizes about 3.0 + 1.0, 3.0 burned him out

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zul

Awards
3.0 +0.3 +0.3 +0.4 it is then, with the final part coming out in 2040.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I feel like the mysterious bullet is a core. Someone needs to puncture the AT Field and kill the announcement already. :E

i mean u do u, Anno <3

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards

Will it be good? Will it get delayed again if Japan gets another wave of the virus? Has Hideaki Anno frantically rewritten the plot now that it isn't safe to tell otaku to go outside and live your life because of said virus? Find out in 2024 after Funimation botches the localization again and Khara rewrites the entire thing.

Also the original show and End of Eva are finally coming to Blu-ray in the US and UK courtesy of G-Kids so that's something to celebrate.

G-Kids NGE announcement

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Yo I honestly forgot this movie existed simply cuz of how long it's been worked on

Same honestly. I still am an avid EVA-fan but I forgot about the fourth movie of the "Rebuild"-incarnation still not being out due to so much other stuff.

I also remember the third being a bit of a divisive one but if the fourth really comes I think I have to rewatch the first three to get back into the whole setting.

Awards
Same honestly. I still am an avid EVA-fan but I forgot about the fourth movie of the "Rebuild"-incarnation still not being out due to so much other stuff.

I also remember the third being a bit of a divisive one but if the fourth really comes I think I have to rewatch the first three to get back into the whole setting.
3.0 was prolly divisive due to it not exactly following up from the teaser at the end of 2.0 and instead returning to the "Let's Make Shinji's Life S U C K" train.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Not quite the same extreme, but I was looking forward to the manga reprint this summer and that was delayed and for obvious reasons.

Even going back to the individual chapters of the manga, it's always been hard being an Eva fan. You keep holding out for the tangible goods until your memory of its existence just gives out.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
3.0 was prolly divisive due to it not exactly following up from the teaser at the end of 2.0 and instead returning to the "Let's Make Shinji's Life S U C K" train.
Now that you mention it I remembered how baffled I was when I first watched 3.0, or rather 3.33, and literally not a single scene from the preview of the second film was included.

But yea, Anno seems to like making Shinji even more into a punching bag in this continuity than in the original series or the manga.

My personal opinion on the third movie is actually a mixed bag. I won't call it a masterpiece nor would I say it is seriously bad as a whole.
Ideas such as Gendo usurping SEELE as the main antagonist/bad guy, Misato and Ritsuko realizing just how bonkers he really is and founding their own organisation to try and save humanity and the new players like Mari or Tohjis sister are solid stuff, just the execution was a bit wonky and the seeming total disconnect from the other parts (mostly thanks to a huge time skip) took some time to get used to, as did the apparent multiple apocalypse chain, lol.
And of course, there's my favorite angel gay prince Kaworu having more screentime than ever before with less creepy characterization yet with an even more creepy and messy death.
Asuka being less of an obvious asshole in behavior yet retaining her sharp edges increased my liking of her in this continuity as well.

Not quite the same extreme, but I was looking forward to the manga reprint this summer and that was delayed and for obvious reasons.

Even going back to the individual chapters of the manga, it's always been hard being an Eva fan. You keep holding out for the tangible goods until your memory of its existence just gives out.

Is there any difference to the manga that's already out or do they just sell the same with some fancy new cover designs and such.

Having lots of patience is practically a requirement when you really want to get into EVA, that's something I learned when I first got into the franchise somewhere in the late 2000s.
I'm used to such shenanigans however as Yoshihiro Togashi with Hunter X Hunter isn't much better when it comes to hiatuses and delays, lol.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Is there any difference to the manga that's already out or do they just sell the same with some fancy new cover designs and such.

Should just be 2-in-1s (so, seven total) coming with extra frills like postcards, sketches, etc. The first three are now due out late January of next year. Though I don't know if there's going to be a NA or EU re-release. VIZ released those oversized compilations a while back, but those are fairly scarce in retail. Who is Eva's publisher in Europe, btw? [source]

Having lots of patience is practically a requirement when you really want to get into EVA, that's something I learned when I first got into the franchise somewhere in the late 2000s.
I'm used to such shenanigans however as Yoshihiro Togashi with Hunter X Hunter isn't much better when it comes to hiatuses and delays, lol.

Truly. Berserk is a lifelong commitment, and X/1999's end will never see the light of day. Saddling up with some of these books feels like a bad relationship. At least with Eva's manga, we got through the finish line. There were moments where I wondered if we'd even get that.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Should just be 2-in-1s (so, seven total) coming with extra frills like postcards, sketches, etc. The first three are now due out late January of next year. Though I don't know if there's going to be a NA or EU re-release. VIZ released those oversized compilations a while back, but those are fairly scarce in retail. Who is Eva's publisher in Europe, btw? [source]

You are referring to Sadamoto's manga adaptation of the series right? I know there are some other Eva mangas floating around but I've never gotten into them. I have the omnibus editions from Viz that you mention.

On the topic of the Rebuilds I really don't know how I feel about them. I enjoyed them but at the same time it felt a little Star Wars prequels/Hobbit trilogy where the original intent and feeling was gone. For example I hate how the Evas in the Rebuilds are so nimble and quick compared to their lumbering movement in the show. I am very curious as to what will happen with the US release of 3.0+1.0 though. As far as I know Funimation still holds the rights to the Rebuilds but I know Studio Khara took a much more active involvement when Netflix scooped the show up and I'm sure they're doing the same with G-Kids releasing it physically.

Hopefully bologna pony stays in the 90s where it belongs with the rest of the OG dub cast

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
You are referring to Sadamoto's manga adaptation of the series right? I know there are some other Eva mangas floating around but I've never gotten into them. I have the omnibus editions from Viz that you mention.

Yes. Announced in January or February, Yoshiyuki Sadamato's manga was set to receive a reprint in Japan in the summer, before widespread pandemic. Where the VIZ omnibuses were 3-in-1s (sans the last volume), these are all 2-in-1s. They get some standard reprint flair, like new covers, but it is the original adaptation.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards

I love you more than you'll ever know.

Before the (possible) release of 3.0+1.0 in Japanese theaters on the 23, there will be a re-release of 3.0 titled Evangelion 3.333. It's a re-edit of the film but I'm not sure what exactly's been changed. It's supposed to release this Friday. There may be a new lockdown in Japan soon so I'm not really sure how that may affect the film as well.

Still no word as far as I know about a US release.

shuyin_zer0

Awards

I love you more than you'll ever know.

Before the (possible) release of 3.0+1.0 in Japanese theaters on the 23, there will be a re-release of 3.0 titled Evangelion 3.333. It's a re-edit of the film but I'm not sure what exactly's been changed. It's supposed to release this Friday. There may be a new lockdown in Japan soon so I'm not really sure how that may affect the film as well.

Still no word as far as I know about a US release.
3.33 is the director’s cut version on pretty much every home media release

Back