• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Guys.... Is this the Luminous engine?

Edit: Not that I have any problems with that if it is the case, I would love to see a Luminous redemption arc but that is a veryyy tone deaf move from Square. A friend and myself have been joking about the possibility of the new FF being on Luminous but it seemed so ludicrous, now I am severely doubting that, and I really hope if it is Luminous they have a handle on it now. I don't think they can risk another victim to that engine

Crystal Tools

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Guys.... Is this the Luminous engine?

Edit: Not that I have any problems with that if it is the case, I would love to see a Luminous redemption arc but that is a veryyy tone deaf move from Square. A friend and myself have been joking about the possibility of the new FF being on Luminous but it seemed so ludicrous, now I am severely doubting that, and I really hope if it is Luminous they have a handle on it now. I don't think they can risk another victim to that engine
I believe the Luminous engine is now entirely used by Luminous Productions. If XVI was using it, there should have been a logo for it attached. I think it's using whatever engine FFXIV is built on.

Edit: Gotdamn you Spockanort, you female bisexual POC that posted before I did

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The Main character becoming a summon in gameplay and story is an interesting twist. I dont think there has been anything like it since Vincent Valentine's transformations

Yeah, looks like mankind wants to become independent from the Crystals
Kind of like humanity learning to become independent from the Fal'Cie in the FF13 series

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Visually impressive for sure and I do think I already spotted a few expys.
The silver knight the older MC fights gives some General Glauca vibes while the female advisor on that council scene moves like Arecia al-Rashia complete with the cigarette holder and elegant wardrobe to match.

The younger MC the older MC is supposed to protect however gave be both Lann and Denzel-vibes.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Crystal Tools
OooOooOoooh, hours ago I thought that the female NPCs reminded me of the NPCs from Lightning Returns.

Kind of like humanity learning to become independent from the Fal'Cie in the FF13 series
Good observation. Maybe some of the Summons command the Crystals, and in extension, command the people? Maybe humans fusing with Summons is their only way to become independent.

Deliverance

Awards
People who defended XV’s terrible combat are gonna feel real embarrassed when they play this.

Looks pretty badass so far.

the red monster

Awards
Looks great.
the comat looks DMC style which i absolutely love.
amazing work from square. and it's going to be improved a lot by the time of release.
guaranteed buy for me. (if the trailer is anything to go by)

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
People who defended XV’s terrible combat are gonna feel real embarrassed when they play this.

Looks pretty badass so far.
Looks great.
the comat looks DMC style which i absolutely love.
amazing work from square. and it's going to be improved a lot by the time of release.
guaranteed buy for me. (if the trailer is anything to go by)
Devil May Cry's Battle Director was brought in to work on this.

Also, here's the game's logo in black:

Attachments

• FINAL FANTASY XVI Logo Black.png
    FINAL FANTASY XVI Logo Black.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 3

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
- After what he did with FF14, a lot of fans wanted Naoki Yoshida to be involved in FF16 and it's happening.

- The atmosphere gives me some Game of Thrones vibes.

- Not fan of the artsyle so far. Seems generic to me.

- Hopefully Nomura stays away from this one. He doesn't need to be everywhere.

-I'm gladly surprised by the lenght and how much gameplay this trailer has. Square has the bad habit of announcing some of their big games too soon and then all they have to show is some cutscenes and nothing more in a short trailer. Sometimes those cutscenes don't even appear in the final product...

Curious to see how many years will take them to release this one.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
- The atmosphere gives me some Game of Thrones vibes.
To be expected. Media like Game of Thrones and the Witcher have occupied the minds of many consumers for years. A medieval FF game was a given.

- Hopefully Nomura stays away from this one. He doesn't need to be everywhere.
Y'all hate on Nomura too much.

Square has the bad habit of announcing some of their big games too soon
* Had. Square Enix has an internal policy where they only showcase games that are "ready" (I imagine they mean won't suffer delays like Versus/XV.

Curious to see how many years will take them to release this one.
I'm optimistic and think it shouldn't take them more than two. At the latest: a late 2023 release.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
The graphics aren't too good from what i would expect from a next gen only ff game. The way the camera is focused makes it seem like it will be a solo game, of course i don't fully believe that since it is the first trailer and there's plenty time until it releases

Noivern

Awards
I have.. some very. mixed opinions on this.

What I don't like:

- The artstyle is super generic, looks like a improved version of what 14 uses. No hate to FF14 players, I know that game can look georgeous with mods. But I'm not really a fan of the "realistic anime" that the franchise is leaning into. It's fine for 13 or 15 with the more realistic artstyle of those games as that brings a bit of an unique flair, but I for the medieval games.. If not for the classic monsters and summons, someone could tell me this is a new Dragon Age and I would believe it.

- I don't really like the little story we got so far. I'm not really a fan of medieval settings in general, but I like the older FF's as each brought a unique spin to the genre. Specially 9. But what little we got from the trailer gave me a bunch of plots from numerous entrys.. The revolt against the summons from 13, politics from 12, prince/guardian stuff from 15. I know this is a really old franchise and it's somewhat hard to come up with unique stuff and this is only the first trailer, but it's yet another white boy with dark hair and bright eyes. At least make an effort to change things up lol

What I like:

- The gameplay will probably be tons of fun. I trust the DMC team to deliver something fantastic, so no worries in that regard.

- The FF14 guy. I haven't really played the game myself past the tutorials as I lack any means to play it myself, but all of my friends are obssessed with it and rained praise on Shadowbringers. Although I don't like the overall theme and the snips of the story we are going for, I'm sure it will be well written and might even be in the top 5 spot for best plots.

- Although I'm bleh at the same generic protag look, I'm still hella gay so I will say he is hot. And I'm sure he's gonna grow into my boyfriends list. Still would have gone for diversity, but I will take any non-twink jrpg dudes.

- I love when Summons are integral to the plot. Even though literally every game after 9 did it. It's cliché but its a fun cliché. And the logo is georgeous.

Overall, it doesn't really read as Final Fantasy to me, but I am open to another take on what I consider "Final Fantasy-ish". I'm just gonna wait for more details and hope I grow to love this project.

blank points

Awards
The new Final Fantasy is finally upon us! I have to admit, I can't help but be somewhat underwhelmed by the trailer. I echo what others said, the art style seems fairly generic, and something about it just isn't gripping me fully. That might just be because this is an early trailer, so I will wait and see what the future updates say about the game. I am glad that they are taking FF back to its roots with the medieval setting, however.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Unfortunately it's PS5 which means I'll have to buy a new system to even play it. I'm not ready to buy a Playstation 5 yet, so I'll have to wait. Still I'm hoping for the best with this FF title. I usually love Final Fantasy when it's in the Medieval or Steampunk fantasy setting. Hopefully a mix of both like FFVI and FFIX had.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
OooOooOoooh, hours ago I thought that the female NPCs reminded me of the NPCs from Lightning Returns.

They definitely have that look. It is also important to keep in mind this is also XIV’s version of Crystal Tools. The engine has undergone extensive retooling over the years for the XIV team.

Crystal Tools was always a rather impressive engine, but the limitations of the PS3 always held it back for the Lightning Saga, and the framework and nature of XIV kept it from showing off its full potential.

It looks like they’ve done what was initially planned with Crystal Tools and Luminous with Luminous being a lighting tool for Crystal Tools.

I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented effects and lighting from Luminous considering how the particle effects work.

But I'm just guessing from looking at the trailer.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Unfortunately it's PS5 which means I'll have to buy a new system to even play it. I'm not ready to buy a Playstation 5 yet, so I'll have to wait. Still I'm hoping for the best with this FF title. I usually love Final Fantasy when it's in the Medieval or Steampunk fantasy setting. Hopefully a mix of both like FFVI and FFIX had.
The game might not be out until late 2021-early 2022 so you have some time before you need to upgrade.

And by that time other games like Ratchet and Clank and Horizon 2 will be out so you’ll have lots of great options :)

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The game might not be out until late 2021-early 2022 so you have some time before you need to upgrade.

And by that time other games like Ratchet and Clank and Horizon 2 will be out so you’ll have lots of great options :)
Goodie! Because I'm not ready for a new system, I just got my PS4 in 2018. It's too soon to say goodbye.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
When it comes to consoles my main problem ironically isn't money. I can save up for a few months to be able to afford the device.

No, the main problem is I don't know where to put it in my living room. My TV still has a free HDMI port, but my router no more free Ethernet ports and with the Super Nintendo, PS2, PS3 and PS4 as well as the Media Receiver in the shelf below the TV I don't know where to put the damn thing!

Back