• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory Releases November 13 2020

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
We also could've had unnecessary scenes like Phil calling SDG true heroes despite KH2 literally wrapping that up with the constellation scene and Roxas and Ven overreacting to their identical features even though Ven probably already knew just from Axel going on about it back at Yen Sid's tower.

Yeah, precisely. There's a fine line between fan-service and serviced by the fans. You lean into trying to go for the fan-favorite moments too much, and you take away your vision for what you wanted it to be. Fans generally don't know what they want until you put it in front of them, and if it's good enough, they'll take it. If the only complaint about ReMind is the fact that it's $30 and covered stuff that Nomura already said it'd cover, that's a win.

Conversely, look at what happened to Final Fantasy XV. The game shipped out clearly being unfinished by the deadline, and while they were able to stay afloat for a while and listen to the fans about what they wanted... Eventually, it came to bite them in the ass. People were making YouTube videos about how Square Enix was wrong for making them pay for more DLC that wasn't a part of the original Season Pass (Referring to the Royal Pack/Royal Edition). They wanted more lore cut-scenes in the game, but instead, we get free events like Terra Battle featuring a female protagonist with way more charisma than Luna ever showed, and Sarah had even less time than Luna did. And when it finally came down to possibly giving the fans everything they wanted (via another Season Pass), the fans get even more upset, the director leaves Square, and the whole project gets cancelled.

The lesson here is that you want to find a balance of both applying fan-service and sticking to your guns, but if you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yeah, precisely. There's a fine line between fan-service and serviced by the fans. You lean into trying to go for the fan-favorite moments too much, and you take away your vision for what you wanted it to be. Fans generally don't know what they want until you put it in front of them, and if it's good enough, they'll take it. If the only complaint about ReMind is the fact that it's $30 and covered stuff that Nomura already said it'd cover, that's a win.

Conversely, look at what happened to Final Fantasy XV. The game shipped out clearly being unfinished by the deadline, and while they were able to stay afloat for a while and listen to the fans about what they wanted... Eventually, it came to bite them in the ass. People were making YouTube videos about how Square Enix was wrong for making them pay for more DLC that wasn't a part of the original Season Pass (Referring to the Royal Pack/Royal Edition). They wanted more lore cut-scenes in the game, but instead, we get free events like Terra Battle featuring a female protagonist with way more charisma than Luna ever showed, and Sarah had even less time than Luna did. And when it finally came down to possibly giving the fans everything they wanted (via another Season Pass), the fans get even more upset, the director leaves Square, and the whole project gets cancelled.

The lesson here is that you want to find a balance of both applying fan-service and sticking to your guns, but if you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Other lesson: finish your damn game before releasing it.

Cumguardian69

Awards
SE and their ardent fans: We hear you and understand. As a result of better taking in fan feedback, we will now release FFXV on mobile phones in a free to start format!

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

If FFXV was a 2019 release, I really believe that it would've delivered on the hype. In fact, it's that very situation that's made me adopt the new mentality of patience when it comes to game releases. I remember when people got all impatient about KH3 not being at events or getting a release date, same with FF7R. And then when KH3 came out, you had a bunch of people saying "Yeah, this needed to be delayed (it didn't)." On the flip side, look at how much Square taking their time paid off with FF7R. Bigger lesson? Patience is a virtue... Sometimes.

I think XV was a major lesson learned for the company, because you don't see them jumping out the window with releases so much anymore. Jury is out on Project Athia, but notice how it's been radio silence from Square all around. Hopefully they've learned.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah it also just would make sense for a series that has the tagline "My Friends Are My Power" to have the friends you made along the way stand at your side and lend you their strength holding back the Heartless while you take on the real big baddies.
I've never really thought about it before (mostly because I know that Disney's increasing restrictions would never have even allowed PoHs in the final world a la KH1 anymore), but I think it would be interesting if, when Sora was left alone after the other Lights had just died, his heart unintentionally called out to all the major Disney characters he met in his distress and they appeared there for moments to help him. As in, similar to the way Beast ends up in Hollow Bastion simply because he wanted to follow Belle.

It would've been a nice callback to KH1, as you said. If the collective power of their hearts helped him to bring all the fellow Keyblade wielders back to life, I would've loved that even more and it definitely would've made more sense than Kairi somehow being able to do that? The Disney characters wouldn't even have to interact with one another, maybe just appear in bubbles or pools of light or something where you can see they are still technically on their own worlds despite being able to be seen / heard by Sora.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Ya wanna know what was really unnecessary? Showing Riku and Mickey exposition dump in the early hours of the game, the absolutely strange "Aqua is like Sora" joke (which I still don't understand Riku's reaction to btw), Riku telling RR that "[he's] got [his] own" before facing AntiAqua down, every single moment in game wasted calling Sora an incompetent bumbling idiot. Showing Kairi and Axel just talk empty KH talk in a CGI forest, instead of showing them fighting and learning the rudimentary ways of the Keyblade.
These are terrible examples to pick as nearly everything here serves a necessary function to the story they were telling in KH3?

Showing Riku and Mickey exposition dump in the early hours of the game
This literally sets up one of the major themes of the game as well as Riku's arc. It happening early in the game is also key as it is directly paralleled to the arc Sora is going through. Sora ends Olympus with the understanding that in order to save the people he wants to save he'll need to find a special strength ("I'll find my strength the way you found yours, something to fight for, with all my heart"). The scene with Riku is the answer to the question posed in Sora's arc. Mickey tells him that that special strength comes from caring so much for someone that all else fades away, that there is no room for fear or doubt. Sora's arc is about finding that special strength and what it means and he learns what it looks like and what it means to care for someone like that through the game through the Disney worlds. Riku has already finished that part of the arc (it's what he learned in DDD) and his arc is now about what it means to actually use that strength. This early scene is setting up the key thematic throughline of the game, as well as the set up for Riku's actions in the Keyblade Graveyard. Beyond that, on a more surface level, these early scenes are establishing the complications in the search for Aqua and her status, the necessity of the power of waking, and setting up that whole aspect of the game. Hardly unnecessary.

the absolutely strange "Aqua is like Sora" joke (which I still don't understand Riku's reaction to btw)
It's not that difficult to grasp. Riku is taken aback at the suggestion that this serious Keyblade Master he's only heard glowing things about could be just like his lovable dumbass reckless friend Sora who throws himself into dangerous situations without a thought and doesn't take things seriously. This is why he calms down when Mickey clarifies that Aqua is strong like Sora, not that she acts like him. As for what function this is serving, aside from providing a moment of levity in a previously heavy-handed serious scene, it's meant to both put some ease on the pressure the characters are under (while Aqua does need to be saved, throwing themselves recklessly into the depths of darkness without a plan isn't smart, knowing that Aqua is strong like Sora and that she'll be okay while they figure something out) it also is used to draw a clear connection and parallel between Aqua and Sora. This helps set up Sora saving her later in the game, while also foreshadowing that Sora will befall a similar fate to Aqua in the end of the game.

Riku telling RR that "[he's] got [his] own" before facing AntiAqua down
I feel like you misunderstood this? Riku isn't telling Repliku that at all. He's replying to Aqua based on something Aqua had just said. Largely though, this, again, is not unnecessary, it serves a function. It's calling back to Riku and his character arc, primarily. Throughout KH3 Repliku represents Riku's Past Self (and by extension, the mistakes he made before) and how he's grown from it and treats his past self with compassion. Obviously Repliku is not Riku's Past Self exactly, but it's what he represents for Riku. So this scene is calling attention to that. Riku explicitly references his past sorrow and hurt and then the character that symbolizes that past appears (wielding the Way to Dawn no less) and helps him regain his strength to face Aqua. It's also serving the necessary function of reminding the audience and players of Repliku and of Riku connecting with him the last time he was in the Realm of Darkness. Most key elements in stories follow an arc of Set-up -> Reminder -> Pay Off. The early scene with Riku and Mickey in the RoD where Riku crosses paths with Repliku is the Set-Up. This scene, toward the start of Act 3, is the Reminder. With the pay-off happening in the climax. So, yeah, it is necessary and performs multiple functions in the story.

every single moment in game wasted calling Sora an incompetent bumbling idiot
Aside from providing moments of levity and characterization (which are far from being unnecessary?) this is also extremely clear set-up for Sora's lack of self-worth and why he falters in the Keyblade Graveyard ("Without them... I'm worthless."). Like this is so incredibly obviously serving a purpose in the story?

Showing Kairi and Axel just talk empty KH talk in a CGI forest, instead of showing them fighting and learning the rudimentary ways of the Keyblade.
Scenes of them training and learning rudimentary Keyblade maneuvers is like the definition of an unnecessary scene. Would it have been nice to see? Sure. But it wouldn't have added much to the story. If anything, it might actually make the story feel worse (having increased emphasis on Lea and Kairi's actual training would have just made them whiffing it due to being new to the Keyblade in the final act be even more pronounced as it's putting way more investment into it).Also the claim that the Kairi and Axel scenes are just empty talking and not necessary is wild to me. Honestly, it's the remark that pushed me to bother replying because I just found it egregious. Both scenes are very clearly performing multiple functions for the story.

The first scene is clearly setting up Kairi and Axel's storylines for the game with them learning the Keyblade in order to be able to wield it in the final battle. That much is obvious. It's also establishing their relationship. It addresses their past relationship and how things have started to be mended but isn't quite there yet. They're distant with each other. They sit far apart. Their conversation is wooden and awkward. This is all characterization and set-up, and necessary. In addition to that, we also have Kairi's letter to Sora which sets-up their relationship for the game, as well as setting up Sora's larger arc and his character. It also foreshadows Sora cracking under the pressure of trying to save everyone. It also reveals Kairi's character -- she no longer wants to just sit and wait around, she wants to do what she can to help. On Axel's side, this is literally the scene that sets-up Xion in the game and reminds players of her and how she is part of his goal and motivation even if he can't remember her.

Stories need set-up in order to have pay-off. That applies both on a larger series framework, but also in individual entries of stories. You can't have Xion show up in the Keyblade Graveyard at the end of the game, without having her being set-up earlier in the game. Some of these scenes may seem unnecessary to a diehard fan who, for example, knows that Xion needs to be saved or whatever from a past game, but that doesn't change the fact that they are necessary on a fundamental story level to be included. That's how stories work.

Anyway, so far, a lot of necessary stuff in this first scene. Let's jump to the second scene of "empty talk". Here their training is almost finished. Immediately we can see the change that has happened in their relationship. They talk more easily with each other. They comment on each other. Kairi teases Axel like three times showing a comfortable familiarity with each other (while also showing Kairi's personality). Axel's refusal to change his clothes plays into his larger motivations (though most people don't seem to pick up on this one, but he believes he'll have a better chance of saving Roxas and Xion if he looks like how they remember him (this is the same reason he asks to be called Axel again) as he says "This is how you pick me out of a crowd. I make myself easy to remember")). Now, Kairi and Axel sit right next to each other. An immediate visual cue of how they've grown closer and more comfortable. With their training being finished, they are both dealing with anxiety about what it means to go back into the "Real world" and face these things (set-up for how things go in the final act!). Kairi dives into her motivation more, specifically about wanting to save Naminé. She gives what is honestly a character (and game) high-point for her, where she delivers a beautiful speech about Naminé and articulates wonderfully why these people deserve to be saved, why they deserve a second chance. Previously, these characters being saved had only been described in utilitarian ways by Yen Sid ("they have more to achieve") and them being needed to fight Xehanort. Here, Kairi reveals the humanity of the situation and why it is fundamentally important for them to be saved, not just to fight in some war, but because they deserve more than that. It's a beautiful scene, written and delivered well and an important point to underscore right before the break into Act Three which focuses on saving these characters. To call it empty talk is honestly insulting.

Axel then talks about Ven, and having met him as a kid. This serves a larger point of reminding the player of their connection, but it also is getting into Axel's character. Axel has always been concerned about people remembering him. He anxiously asks Kairi if she thinks Ven would even remember him after everything. This is obvious characterization for Axel, but it's also a callback to Ven and Axel's first meeting where Lea explains why he's so concerned with people remembering him ("I want everyone I meet to remember me. Inside people's memories, I can live forever"). He admits that now that they're going back into the real world and having to face all of these things, he's "worried about everything." Kairi replies, "Well, you don't have to worry alone anymore, Axel." A beautiful line that honestly stuck with me still. It captures just how much they've grown close to each other. In many ways it echoes their first meeting back in KH2, where Axel tries to trick Kairi into coming with him by pointing out how they both miss someone they care about and sarcastically says it's like they're already friends, to which Kairi rebuffs it. Here, they are both openly commiserating about missing people they care about and how important it is to save them, and have become actual genuine friends, no longer needing to worry alone. It's lovely, and accomplishes far more than if these scene were just replaced with scenes of them play-sparring or getting Keyblade 101 from Merlin.

Both scenes are accomplishing a lot, on story/plot levels, character levels, development levels, thematic levels, etc. They're far from empty KH talk.

None of this is really unnecessary.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Honestly, I'm a fan of that entire post, an incredible read, but THIS especially is what I'd like to add onto:

Aside from providing moments of levity and characterization (which are far from being unnecessary?) this is also extremely clear set-up for Sora's lack of self-worth and why he falters in the Keyblade Graveyard ("Without them... I'm worthless."). Like this is so incredibly obviously serving a purpose in the story?

When you're not really thinking about it, you feel like the game really takes opportunities at every turn to call Sora a dumbass... Despite how he's the reason why everybody actually has a shot at being saved. But it's that very dynamic (the responsible "dumbass") that ends up making the guy fall to pieces when everyone lost their lives to the Heartless Tornado. You can't even blame him. Think about everything that leads up to it.

In the very beginning of the game, Pete and Maleficent paid Sora dust because of how weak he was, and he was noticeably upset by it. He said he was okay after, but anyone with a reasonable sense of emotional intelligence knows Sora's just bottling it up. This even goes back to the end of DDD where Yen Sid tells Sora he failed the exam, and you see him get sad but perks up right away. DDD takes place right before KH3, so there's no real time for Sora to really deal with feelings of failure. In fact, this is the same sort of incident that sent Terra down his path of (unintentional) darkness. It's just that Yen Sid isn't a Light Extremist and didn't embarrass Sora for falling to darkness, but the inner shame is still there. If it wasn't for Riku, he would've never woken up.

We can even go further and mention how Xigbar also plays a part in this, because of the whole "As if the Keyblade would choose a wimp like you." speech he did. (Which is stupid on his part, because UX had tons of kids with Keyblades that weren't particularly remarkable, but that's Xigbar trying to mess with Sora's head as per usual.)

So with that massive chip on Sora's shoulder, imagine how it's gotta feel for everyone to basically be saying "Hey Sora, we know you're stupid and all, but make sure you don't fuck this one up!" Of course, there's no malice behind the jokes, but just like in life, you can't tell someone how to handle a joke. Especially if you don't know what they're experiencing, plus those jokes were never funny to Sora anyway. The Keyblade wasn't originally his, he failed the Mark of Mastery exam and needed to be bailed out, the constant ribbing at his expense, being reminded of not having the Power of Waking yet and being completely stripped of his strength... No wonder he broke down. And if you noticed, Sora's never really the same after that.

Sora calling himself worthless must've been a trip for Riku to hear, because he must've never expected Sora to say something like that at all. Especially when Riku had his own hangups and insecurities he had to overcome, largely in part due to feeling inferior to Sora. So imagine the guy you've been trying to catch up to all this time is saying these sorts of things. This is why KH3's writing is a lot deeper than people give it credit for, but because it didn't give them certain character interactions or Radiant Garden exploration, they think it's all trash.

Awards
I mean, 90% of the jabs toward Sora come from Donald.

The worst one is honestly when he says Sora is a useless chump without him and Goofy RIGHT AFTER SORA WATCHED KAIRI GET SLICED, basically reaffirming Sora's belief that he is worthless without his metaphorical crutches.

Like...you don't say that to someone when they're basically on the verge of breaking down again.

That's like if Dante decided to be an asshole and repeatedly call Nero dead weight for no reason while saying that he's nothing without the Devil Bringer.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I've never really thought about it before (mostly because I know that Disney's increasing restrictions would never have even allowed PoHs in the final world a la KH1 anymore), but I think it would be interesting if, when Sora was left alone after the other Lights had just died, his heart unintentionally called out to all the major Disney characters he met in his distress and they appeared there for moments to help him. As in, similar to the way Beast ends up in Hollow Bastion simply because he wanted to follow Belle.

It would've been a nice callback to KH1, as you said. If the collective power of their hearts helped him to bring all the fellow Keyblade wielders back to life, I would've loved that even more and it definitely would've made more sense than Kairi somehow being able to do that? The Disney characters wouldn't even have to interact with one another, maybe just appear in bubbles or pools of light or something where you can see they are still technically on their own worlds despite being able to be seen / heard by Sora.
Yeah, or if they were really super restricted, they could have done what Dragonball did with the genkidama. Have the Disney and FF characters in their own worlds feel Sora's distress close their eyes and put their hands on their heart and say "Sora", sending him their power. Powering Up the keyblade letting him cut through the darkness and lead the guardians all back to him, like in the opening credits.

I'd really like something like this because that'd make the more fillery worlds also feel like they have an importance and impact. Though with the change in Graphic Design and the price of voice actors it'd probably would have been too much of a budgetary strain.

Violet Pluto

Awards
We can even go further and mention how Xigbar also plays a part in this, because of the whole "As if the Keyblade would choose a wimp like you." speech he did. (Which is stupid on his part, because UX had tons of kids with Keyblades that weren't particularly remarkable, but that's Xigbar trying to mess with Sora's head as per usual.)
I mean to be fair Sora's Keyblade is the one that the World of Light bestowed upon one who's worthy. That seems to be different than how most get/got their Keyblade. Also sadly Xigbar was right. The Keyblade chose Riku. Sora did earn it afterwards but that may be something that Sora himself didn't get over yet. But that might be exactly why Xigbar said it; because he knew it would hurt.

@Audo Thank you. While I got some of that most of that information flew over my head, probably because I didn't allow myself to ruminate over too many of the KH... Scenes because I had ran through the game as fast as possible to get to remind on first playthrough. Sorry that my entire grammar, and intelligence degraded, first overnight shift at work and I fell asleep twice writing this short message and can't remember my points.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I mean to be fair Sora's Keyblade is the one that the World of Light bestowed upon one who's worthy. That seems to be different than how most get/got their Keyblade.

I don't remember it being stated that Sora's Keyblade is a special one (though the x-blades design definitely does imply it). To my knowledge excepts for Mickey's all of the Guardian's and even Xehanort's are Keyblades of the Realm of Light. Though the lore on how people get Keyblades seems to have changed a bit from being chosen by one to being worthy and learning to manifest one.

Also sadly Xigbar was right. The Keyblade chose Riku. Sora did earn it afterwards but that may be something that Sora himself didn't get over yet. But that might be exactly why Xigbar said it; because he knew it would hurt.

3D made it a point that Sora's not too bothered by being the second choice. While it would make sense for it to be factor, I think it might be more indirect. Like because Sora wasn't the first one chosen by the Keyblade, he began relying more on his friends as the source of his power and strength, which resulted in him feeling powerless without them.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I mean to be fair Sora's Keyblade is the one that the World of Light bestowed upon one who's worthy. That seems to be different than how most get/got their Keyblade. Also sadly Xigbar was right. The Keyblade chose Riku. Sora did earn it afterwards but that may be something that Sora himself didn't get over yet. But that might be exactly why Xigbar said it; because he knew it would hurt.

Yeah, and even then though, the Keyblade DID choose Sora in the end, so not being chosen right away is a moot point. Riku's originally the wielder of the Kingdom Key, but the second time it went to Sora, it's because of his own strength he gained (it's the very same moment that "my friends are my power!" is born). So if the Kingdom Key is a particular kind of Keyblade that only chooses the most worthy, that's an incredible accomplishment for Sora to end up claiming it permanently instead of it just disappearing and going to somebody else. It's even more of a moot point because Aqua nearly did the ceremony for Sora too, and if that happened, Sora would've been no different than any regular Keyblade wielder that comes around. It's not even like Sora was straight up incapable, he just lacked the normal means. So the way Sora even became a wielder is miraculous, if not damn near legendary.

Xigbar doesn't want Sora to know that though, so he'll berate him for it. So even though Sora's like "Yeah whatever, I have my friends to back me up!", it's no surprise that losing his friends would make him shatter. Sora doesn't really understand just how incredible he really is. He says his friends are his power, but the only reason why that might be true is because they gravitate towards him in the first place. He's the reason why his friends are his power, and I think that's what Riku wanted to say but couldn't in that moment (for obvious reasons).

3D made it a point that Sora's not too bothered by being the second choice. While it would make sense for it to be factor, I think it might be more indirect. Like because Sora wasn't the first one chosen by the Keyblade, he began relying more on his friends as the source of his power and strength, which resulted in him feeling powerless without them.

Exactly. You ask anybody who knows Sora and they'll tell you how strong he is (if not reckless to a fault). Sora's whole journey has been him relying on his friends, nearly every major moment had Donald and Goofy with him. That's why ReMind is incredible, because he's going it alone this time, and that's why it was a shock for him to not bring Donald and Goofy along. Especially after they just helped him beat Master Xehanort.

Sora's insecurities are the opposite of what Riku felt insecure about, they parallel in that way. Riku was able to overcome those flaws, used it as a source of strength instead, and became a Keyblade Master. Sora hasn't had that kind of journey yet, so that's why I would love a game where Sora comes to grips with the fact that he can't rely on his friends forever, and there comes a time where he has to stand on his own (which he absolutely can). And with Sora in The Final World and possibly winding up in Shubuya eventually, it's an excellent time for him to grow. He doesn't have Donald and Goofy, or Riku or Kairi to back him up, so his character arc in Phase 2 should be very interesting to see.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm curious when Melody of Memories takes place. Before, during, or after Kairi's year sleep. Maybe all of the above. I'm certain she'll be awake by the end of the game, otherwise she could sleep right through the next game, which would be horrible.

Either way, I feel sorry for anyone who tries to interact with her when she wakes up. Year long morning breath, yuck. Don't get in her face let the girl freshen up first!

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
My gut feeling has always been that this game spans the year and goes beyond Limit Cut's ending. I assume that the Riku scenes would be towards the end and he talked to the Fairy God-Mother

That said I find the idea of him going to wake her up and being knocked out by her breath hilarious. Guess it'd be Riku's turn to sleep for a year.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Now available for preorder from the PSN http://sqex.link/KH_MoM_PSN

Theme is shown in this graphic

Eg6_jMoWoAYNiZW

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
My gut feeling has always been that this game spans the year and goes beyond Limit Cut's ending. I assume that the Riku scenes would be towards the end and he talked to the Fairy God-Mother

I agree.

Although now that I've seen people raise the excellent point that maybe TAV aren't in the Realm of Darkness 24/7 for a year, I'm thinking maybe Kairi doesn't literally sleep for a year. Maybe they scan her heart at the lab in daily sessions.

But it's not as fun and dreamy as a year-long memory journey.

That said I find the idea of him going to wake her up and being knocked out by her breath hilarious. Guess it'd be Riku's turn to sleep for a year.

And with Riku's super-developed sense of smell, there'd be enough Stench of Light to launch a DDD volume 2 :D

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree.

Although now that I've seen people raise the excellent point that maybe TAV aren't in the Realm of Darkness 24/7 for a year, I'm thinking maybe Kairi doesn't literally sleep for a year. Maybe they scan her heart at the lab in daily sessions.

But it's not as fun and dreamy as a year-long memory journey.
While that would make sense, it seems to me, by the way Riku worded it, that Kairi was asleep for the whole year. Having this game take place during that time would also help counteract the notion that she's just been sidelined for a whole year again.

Considering how weird time is in the Realm of Darkness and how supposedly hard getting in and out can be, I assume that AVT has been in the RoD this whole time. Though I am curious as to why Mickey and Riku can't last a few hours/days while the Wayfinders are there a whole year. Guess Aqua's experience is coming in handy.

And with Riku's super-developed sense of smell, there'd be enough Stench of Light to launch a DDD volume 2

Haha I actually forgot about Riku's super-sensitive nose. Poor guy will be overwhelmed for sure. At least we know how the next DDD gets started.

Chie

Awards
I still can't really justify the year thing to myself, but I'm hoping this game/future games manage to. If it was a year passing where they just lived out their lives, cool, that's fitting. But instead they spend a year fixating on Sora and none of them (that we've seen) appear to change in any way? Seems so arbitrary and boring compared to what stories could have been told.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I still can't really justify the year thing to myself, but I'm hoping this game/future games manage to. If it was a year passing where they just lived out their lives, cool, that's fitting. But instead they spend a year fixating on Sora and none of them (that we've seen) appear to change in any way? Seems so arbitrary and boring compared to what stories could have been told.

Well the only two we do see a year later are Kairi and Riku, so there's still room for change for the others.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, I'm honestly a little peeved by the year thing, but I'm going to hope and believe there is a good reason for the large gap.

In a way it feels intentional so they could fit in some projects to cover that time period (liketheD+series). After all, there are a bunch of things being prepared for the 2nd Phase of Kingdom Hearts.

Back