• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory Releases November 13 2020

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well, that's fine if you think playing as cardboard will be more fun than SDG. Everyone has a right to their own opinions--I'm just praying it doesn't actually come to fruition myself. As much as we all b*tch about Nomura's writing, sometimes I think this series would be so much worse if the fans had complete control.
I've seen the damage done by showrunners letting the fans dictate the story. I actually admire that Nomura ignores the fans and does what he wants. Granted, he DOES listen to criticism, but that doesn't stop him from doing what he intends to do. Some fans may consider that "insulting" to ignore their cries, but if this is the story he wants to tell, you just have to accept it.

I mean, if KH3 were left up to the fans, there would be so many different extreme outcomes:
  • Aqua becomes the central character somehow and TAV (with you playing as Aqua) kill Master Xehanort.
  • Sora saves Riku in the RoD, then they have their passionate scene sharing the papou on Destiny Islands.
  • Roxas returns and is revealed to have the Power of Waking in him, so Sora lets him and Axel/Xion defeat the Organization.
  • The PoH are revealed to be the key to defeating Xehanort, so Kairi visits the Disney worlds and gets the power from other PoH to become strong enough to kill Xehanort.
  • Leon and the rest of the Radiant Garden gang, through Cloud killing Sephiroth, found the way to defeat Master Xehanort, so they take the reigns at the Keyblade Graveyard - where you can play between Leon/Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie/Cid/Aerith (in their FFVIIR designs)
  • Sora/Donald/Goofy traverse 20+ Disney worlds and there's only 1 original world - The Keyblade Graveyard - where all your Disney allies join the fight with you against the Organization instead of the original characters (who are relegated to a quick cutscene explaining their future in the end credits).
Anyway, I think that Kairi getting some focus now isn't a problem and I welcome it. I always wanted to play as her and get more of her story, so in the grand scheme of the games' storyline, right now would be the best time to shine a light on Kairi. I would feel differently if it just made no sense for Kairi's game to be shoved in at a point where it didn't make sense.

With that being said, I would love a small scenario where Kairi visits key worlds that Sora went to -- that specifically relate to their relationship: NeverLand (Peter can tell her that Sora wanted to fly with her), Agrabah (Jasmine was a PoH and Aladdin can mention how much Sora talked about her), and Halloween Town (I just want Kairi to get a form change and also it'd be fun to see Jack/Sally interact with her).

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I actually did like 3D and 3 though. They were mostly a return to form for me. I mean, I'd long given up that they would ever reach the heights of 1 and CoM again, but at least it was at / above KH2-level. Them getting lost in the weeds again with several Kairi games would just be anticlimatic after that.

That's fair. I don't know if Nomura's really going to go in the direction of Kairi being the sole protagonist when Riku's still around and active, not to mention Sora's current predicament, but it's tough to say because we don't know what the goal is in this saga. BBS, we knew Xehanort wanted Kingdom Hearts. Here, who knows what the Lost Masters and the Master of Masters want.

KH1 and CoM had the benefit of the endgame seemingly being KH2, but by KH2, we knew there were plenty more things to expect over the horizon. It's possible that with this saga, he's already planned it out fully, but we'll just have to see.
Wait, there are people who don't think that DDD is Riku's game or that BBS isn't Aqua's? I'm legitimately asking this.

Yeah, people think that just because there's multiple playable characters, it means they're all equally protagonists. Which is a fair conclusion to come to, but that's not the case in BBS and DDD. It's like Yakuza 0, you play as Kiryu and Majima, but it's still Kiryu's story you're following overall.

The fact that BBS gives you more Aqua content should pretty much say everything it needs to, but misunderstandings do happen.

I agree with this. Don't let the inmates run the asylum. I live by that saying.

Seconded. There's a reason why most people's fanfictions don't take off lmao. At most, Nomura just needs an editor like how mangakas do for Shonen Jump (and I presume any major magazine as well). I love Kingdom Hearts because of the craziness that comes from his mind, the creativity, all of it. Fans taking over would end up turning the series into a RomCom with occasionally some fights and mystery lmao. I'm good.

Awards
Sora/Donald/Goofy traverse 20+ Disney worlds and there's only 1 original world - The Keyblade Graveyard - where all your Disney allies join the fight with you against the Organization instead of the original characters (who are relegated to a quick cutscene explaining their future in the end credits).
You just reminded me of a certain rewrite by a youtuber where their wonderful climax idea was just that one scene from Endgame but with Disney characters.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
You just reminded me of a certain rewrite by a youtuber where their wonderful climax idea was just that one scene from Endgame but with Disney characters.

I like the video in general, I think it added a lot of interesting changes (many of them ended up in ReMind anyway, so you know Nomura was of similar mind), but that particular scene from Endgame doesn't work for multiple in-universe reasons (RIP Chadwick Boseman). The next best thing was the Union X - Light of The Past segment, which is what we got.

Not to mention, the last thing I want people to crucify KH3 for is for "ripping off" Endgame.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
To be honest, I was kind of expecting KH3 to have Disney characters fighting at the Keyblade Graveyard to backup Sora... and I was hoping for that before Endgame did it. I think it was viable and made sense to do, but now that Endgame did it, people will just scream ripoff.

When I reached the end of the game (and realized it was the end of the game), and finally noticed no Final Fantasy characters, I was expecting them to pop up during the final battle to help us out in a cutscene battle as a surprise. I think that would have been seen as less "ripoff" and also probably shut up all the FF fans that were angered by their absence. Also, probably easier to get approved than having Disney characters (especially Anna/Elsa) fight against Master Xehanort in the Keyblade Graveyard.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
To be honest, I was kind of expecting KH3 to have Disney characters fighting at the Keyblade Graveyard to backup Sora... and I was hoping for that before Endgame did it. I think it was viable and made sense to do, but now that Endgame did it, people will just scream ripoff.

It wasn't viable at all considering Disney's rules about characters crossing over into other worlds. Perhaps they'll be more lax about it going forward, but there was no chance of such an event taking place in KH3.

But while we're on this topic, RIP the proposed scenario in KH1 where the princes would team up with Sora in Hollow Bastion to rescue the princesses, which Disney shot down :(

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Seconded. There's a reason why most people's fanfictions don't take off lmao. At most, Nomura just needs an editor like how mangakas do for Shonen Jump (and I presume any major magazine as well). I love Kingdom Hearts because of the craziness that comes from his mind, the creativity, all of it. Fans taking over would end up turning the series into a RomCom with occasionally some fights and mystery lmao. I'm good.
Yeah, I'd much rather follow Nomura's fanfic than the fanbases. It's not perfect, but this mess of a series is my absolute favorite game franchise. Only Nomura could create such convoluted characters that I love to death and cry like a baby when they appear XD

When I reached the end of the game (and realized it was the end of the game), and finally noticed no Final Fantasy characters, I was expecting them to pop up during the final battle to help us out in a cutscene battle as a surprise. I think that would have been seen as less "ripoff" and also probably shut up all the FF fans that were angered by their absence. Also, probably easier to get approved than having Disney characters (especially Anna/Elsa) fight against Master Xehanort in the Keyblade Graveyard.
Well we did get the likes of not-Simba, not-Ariel, not-Stitch, and not-Ralph fighting alongside Sora should you choose to use them. Heck Simba carried my Sora through all of Limitcut. Who says Disney characters don't affect the series lol.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm personally one of those people who wanted Sephiroth to be a Seeker of Darkness.
Would have been a good excuse to resolve his conflict with Cloud and save Zack, lol
It wasn't viable at all considering Disney's rules about characters crossing over into other worlds. Perhaps they'll be more lax about it going forward, but there was no chance of such an event taking place in KH3.

But while we're on this topic, RIP the proposed scenario in KH1 where the princes would team up with Sora in Hollow Bastion to rescue the princesses, which Disney shot down :(
Disney not wanting the Disney characters to crossover may also explain why the new PoH weren't used more and only half appeared

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

This is what I was thinking, which turned into the in-universe rules of keeping the World Order in check. Otherwise, I feel like Aladdin definitely would've come with Sora to save Jasmine in KH1 lol. Having the Endgame-style appearance in KH3 would be interesting in theory (I'm not personally a fan of it though, if it were 1:1 like Endgame - Endgame makes it great, KH should be unique in how it'd be done), but you'd have to explain why the World Order suddenly gets tossed out the window, how they even arrive at the Keyblade Graveyard to begin with, and who in the world told them enough information for them to just hop in a mysterious portal in order to help Sora.

That's the issue with rewrites, they sound simple enough until you have to think about everything that comes into play. It's easy to say "I can write this better!", but a lot of it really just comes down to "This would be cool if THIS happened", not much else. And as much as people have gripes with Nomura's writing, majority of what he's established in-universe has remained consistent. The only thing that's largely changed is that Nobodies can grow hearts if a connection is formed long enough, which was implied as early back as Days, which I would have to assume was written co-currently with KH2 or at least right after but had been in Nomura's mind during KH2's development.

Not to mention, if a KH game is gonna pull that sort of move, it's gonna have to be the final game to do that. Disney is way more likely to allow that for a final send-off instead of a series that quite possibly is only NOW starting to heat up. Definitely was out of the question for KH3.

Yeah, I'd much rather follow Nomura's fanfic than the fanbases. It's not perfect, but this mess of a series is my absolute favorite game franchise. Only Nomura could create such convoluted characters that I love to death and cry like a baby when they appear XD

Thing is too, this is Nomura's story, so at least if he's writing a large percentage of it (or even just the idea guy), there's consistency in terms of how mysteries would unfold and whatnot. If it were up to fans, Sora would've died in KH2, Roxas would've taken over as a protagonist, and Riku would've continued to be the edgy blindfold kid in Days. I would've hated that.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I meant that this being KH3 - the climax of the series - it would make sense for all these characters affected by this outside force and hurting their friend (Sora) to show up and help fight. Granted, I would quicker expect Sora's friends from past games to show up over the ones in KH3 because the bonds Sora made with past friends was way tighter than the ones with KH3 friends (except maybe Rapunzel and Hiro).

I know Disney would forbid it, but I just meant that KH3 being the big finale - it would have been justified to throw the world order in the bin... had it not been for Disney's rules. People like The Beast, Aladdin, Ariel, Simba, Mushu, Tron, Jack Skellington, and Hercules are aware of other worlds.

Well we did get the likes of not-Simba, not-Ariel, not-Stitch, and not-Ralph fighting alongside Sora should you choose to use them. Heck Simba carried my Sora through all of Limitcut. Who says Disney characters don't affect the series lol.
I know you can summon them for the fights, but I don't think that's canon for the story. If what you did for the fight was canon, then Simba was present during the fight with Master Xehanort and Yozora lol. I wanted to see the Disney characters show up in cutscene. They could have just helped fight the heartless, while the keyblade wielders went ahead.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
In order to get that sort of Endgame effect without changing things too much, I would have had the Disney allies help Sora fight the Lich with a short cutscene or two with them. It would have livened up that whole sequence. It’s kind of a bore and repetitive as is.

Awards
Thing is too, this is Nomura's story, so at least if he's writing a large percentage of it (or even just the idea guy), there's consistency in terms of how mysteries would unfold and whatnot. If it were up to fans, Sora would've died in KH2, Roxas would've taken over as a protagonist, and Riku would've continued to be the edgy blindfold kid in Days. I would've hated that.
We also could've had unnecessary scenes like Phil calling SDG true heroes despite KH2 literally wrapping that up with the constellation scene and Roxas and Ven overreacting to their identical features even though Ven probably already knew just from Axel going on about it back at Yen Sid's tower.

Last edited:

FrzKnight

I wouldn't call it an Endgame ripoff, because naruto did it first

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm sure if you dig into the past, there would be those team ups of everyone we've seen before (the end of Digimon Season 2 comes to mind). That's why I think it could have worked for KH3, as it was the big climax.

FrzKnight

I'm sure if you dig into the past, there would be those team ups of everyone we've seen before (the end of Digimon Season 2 comes to mind). That's why I think it could have worked for KH3, as it was the big climax.
yeah, that's what I meant too, I think it would be okay to do it, because it makes sense for a final battle

Cumguardian69

Awards
We also could've had unnecessary scenes like Phil calling SDG true heroes despite KH2 literally wrapping that up with the constellation scene and Roxas and Ven overreacting to their identical features even though Ven probably already knew just from Axel going on about it back at Yen Sid's tower.
Except these would be called character moments, not unnecessary scenes.

•The constellation scene was shown after the fact they helped saved Olympus and being called a True Hero would have served as a confidence boost for Sora. After all, SDG took PHIL's word for it (he trained Herc after all), not THE GODS. See again the cutscene
(start at 33:49).

•Roxas wouldn't have overreacted, VENTUS would have. It's the distinction between same face, different people. The idea that fellas would merely go "HmM?", even in the middle of fighting MX, is laughable. We at least got some nice banter in ReMIND indicating the scenario writers understood that fact AFTER THE FACT, but the original KH3 outing was disappointing to say the least.

Ya wanna know what was really unnecessary? Showing Riku and Mickey exposition dump in the early hours of the game, the absolutely strange "Aqua is like Sora" joke (which I still don't understand Riku's reaction to btw), Riku telling RR that "[he's] got [his] own" before facing AntiAqua down, every single moment in game wasted calling Sora an incompetent bumbling idiot. Showing Kairi and Axel just talk empty KH talk in a CGI forest, instead of showing them fighting and learning the rudimentary ways of the Keyblade.

Yeah, because it's a war. Not a field trip.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

But these guys did it best.

Awards
Except these would be called character moments, not unnecessary scenes.

•The constellation scene was shown after the fact they helped saved Olympus and being called a True Hero would have served as a confidence boost for Sora. After all, SDG took PHIL's word for it (he trained Herc after all), not THE GODS. See again the cutscene
(start at 33:49).

•Roxas wouldn't have overreacted, VENTUS would have. It's the distinction between same face, different people. The idea that fellas would merely go "HmM?", even in the middle of fighting MX, is laughable. We at least got some nice banter in ReMIND indicating the scenario writers understood that fact AFTER THE FACT, but the original KH3 outing was disappointing to say the least.

Ya wanna know what was really unnecessary? Showing Riku and Mickey exposition dump in the early hours of the game, the absolutely strange "Aqua is like Sora" joke (which I still don't understand Riku's reaction to btw), Riku telling RR that "[he's] got [his] own" before facing AntiAqua down, every single moment in game wasted calling Sora an incompetent bumbling idiot. Showing Kairi and Axel just talk empty KH talk in a CGI forest, instead of showing them fighting and learning the rudimentary ways of the Keyblade.

Yeah, because it's a war. Not a field trip.
I see the hypothetical Phil and RoxVen scenes as unnecessary because they're just the desires of fans that, in regards to the former, apparently thought SDG literally getting recognized by THE FREAKIN GODS as true heroes didn't mean they were true heroes just cuz Not-Danny DeVito didn't say it even though he said it wasn't his call. Meaning this hypothetical scene would only exist to satisfy the people that see Phil's word as the end-all be-all.

And in regards to the latter, the desires of fans that think there should be a whole scene dedicated to Roxas and Ven talking about how they look and sound the same even though at this point neither of them would give a single damn about that.

And like I said, Ven probably already knew that Roxas looked like him simply cuz of Axel going on about it at the tower. For all we know the "hmm" from Ven was just him noticing that the identical guy standing not far from him was the "Roxas" that Axel was talking about.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I meant that this being KH3 - the climax of the series - it would make sense for all these characters affected by this outside force and hurting their friend (Sora) to show up and help fight. Granted, I would quicker expect Sora's friends from past games to show up over the ones in KH3 because the bonds Sora made with past friends was way tighter than the ones with KH3 friends (except maybe Rapunzel and Hiro).

I know Disney would forbid it, but I just meant that KH3 being the big finale - it would have been justified to throw the world order in the bin... had it not been for Disney's rules. People like The Beast, Aladdin, Ariel, Simba, Mushu, Tron, Jack Skellington, and Hercules are aware of other worlds.

I know you can summon them for the fights, but I don't think that's canon for the story. If what you did for the fight was canon, then Simba was present during the fight with Master Xehanort and Yozora lol. I wanted to see the Disney characters show up in cutscene. They could have just helped fight the heartless, while the keyblade wielders went ahead.
Yeah it also just would make sense for a series that has the tagline "My Friends Are My Power" to have the friends you made along the way stand at your side and lend you their strength holding back the Heartless while you take on the real big baddies.

Also as others have pointed out it is a trope that has been used before by other series. Sadly still with Endgame being the biggest and most recent take on this, it would inevitably be compared and called a rip-off.

Back