• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

PStuder12321

It’s too early to say what it will do for it’s popularity. It definitely means it’ll be more in the spotlight to a wider audience, but who knows if people will latch onto it or not.

It depends on what the project ends up being about and how accessible it is to new audiences.

I doubt this will change their release output. They would probably get more funding, and then either get more freedom and/or more internal oversight by Disney...If anything there might be a push for more content related to what the show covers.

Disney used to rush developers and publishers to release projects back in the day but now that they realized they don’t understand the game industry at all, they’ve stepped back quite a bit and let the developers and publishers set the pace.

Of course, that is if this all pans out to be true.

Very true. I am personally hoping this serves as a boon, even if the show just brings a little more popularity even fi its not that great for us fans, if it gets more people to start palying the game they should get more funding and should get the games out even quicker, for that reason alone if this is true, Im gonna try and support it and help it grow the best I can as a fan Just simply cause i want KH to get that support boost and funding so we can possibly get good games released much quicker.

P.S. Side not for you Spockanort, you should check out ym new theory thread I posted, IM carious to what you think. :D

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I want a D+ series to happen just to see what the outsider reactions will be.

I’m at the point where, in general, I want more KH content less for the enjoyment of the thing itself and more for the chaos it will inevitably bring to the fandom.

(Though I do empathize with those who will have to moderate that chaos. 😬)

Eonstar890

Awards
I think the most bittersweet part of this news for me it that it could potentially expand the audience for Kingdom Hearts quite a bit which would be great for the series, but as with everything can water down the voice of the community.

I like the idea of it taking place during the year gap after Re:Mind, but i see it more likely being based off the original story or follow a story that doesn't require a large background on previous titles. (Perhaps this is how Chi will be remade in a more permanent way?)

Overall I'm hella scared about getting my hopes up. Especially with no official announcement. I am already having Dark Road flashbacks. Right now I am purely hoping that the series has KH OCs in it. And if it does happen to retell the original game, I hope it is told in a way that smoothens out a lot of the retcons (perhaps better mentioning the existence of TAV or linking Roxas's birth to the moment in Hollow Bastion), and that Disney characters are given creative freedom on Disney's end (aka allowed to fight or coexist).

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I’m at the point where, in general, I want more KH content less for the enjoyment of the thing itself and more for the chaos it will inevitably bring to the fandom.
Me in the chaos:
EMJPbmF.gif

I think the most bittersweet part of this news for me it that it could potentially expand the audience for Kingdom Hearts quite a bit which would be great for the series, but as with everything can water down the voice of the community.
Or potentially negatively affect the games due to making it more like the D+ series, if this hypothetical show goes a bad direction but is popular on the streaming service.

I like the idea of it taking place during the year gap after Re:Mind, but i see it more likely being based off the original story or follow a story that doesn't require a large background on previous titles. (Perhaps this is how Chi will be remade in a more permanent way?)
I'd be fine if it was Chi. The one problem I have with if it was remade for console is retreading Disney worlds AGAIN, and Agrabah has mentally scarred everyone. An animated series focusing on its main story would be perfectly okay to me, and if any Disney world appears, it'd still be easier on my sanity.

Overall I'm hella scared about getting my hopes up. Especially with no official announcement. I am already having Dark Road flashbacks. Right now I am purely hoping that the series has KH OCs in it. And if it does happen to retell the original game, I hope it is told in a way that smoothens out a lot of the retcons (perhaps better mentioning the existence of TAV or linking Roxas's birth to the moment in Hollow Bastion), and that Disney characters are given creative freedom on Disney's end (aka allowed to fight or coexist).
I see this as the best case scenario. Just imagine it having writers who actually understand the story and use this opportunity to flesh out everything and have later events and plot twists feel more organic.

Kingdom Hearts fans 😁
And we're darn good at it, too!

Soldier

Awards
They're getting off easy, at least they didn't have to buy a PSP, DS, a 3DS and a capable smartphone just to get the latest story lmao. Going out of your way for new KH lore is like a rite of passage, and realize that the true lore was the friends we made along the way.
I think you're confusing KH lore with a treasure hunt, though to be honest it's quite understandable given the fact that they're both long arduous tasks to complete with very little payoff.

PStuder12321

I'd be fine if it was Chi. The one problem I have with if it was remade for console is retreading Disney worlds AGAIN, and Agrabah has mentally scarred everyone. An animated series focusing on its main story would be perfectly okay to me, and if any Disney world appears, it'd still be easier on my sanity.

I see this as the best case scenario. Just imagine it having writers who actually understand the story and use this opportunity to flesh out everything and have later events and plot twists feel more organic.

Honestly, I see it ending badly any way but that way... thats the only logical way Is ee it happneing and I think it would be great for the series if they did make it follow the canon story from the start and just use it to give more detail lore and iron things out and put things in a good order.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
If it's being produced by Square, then the robotic anime dialogue alone will make it a mockery by the mainstream audience on a Prequel trilogy scale. The convoluted plot twists, constant retconning, Disney worlds being shallow retelling of films that you can already watch on the app, & the fact the show expects the viewers to take the term "nobodies" seriously will make it such a laughing stock it'll probably scare the execs from wanting anything more to do with KH.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, honestly for a KH show to work, it has to be stripped down to the most barebones version of itself possible. A simple conflict, a simple story, and simple lore. It can be built up from there but it needs to be able to explain itself concisely within the confines of its own story.

For example, let’s look at the Mandalorian. I’m going to speak as though I am new to Star Wars. The show introduces us to Mando. We get auxiliary Information from the events and characters around him that explain what his job is, who he is, and what a Mandalorian is. We get clues about the economy of this universe and how there is a fallen power that led to money being scarce.

We learn the Empire fell and while they are scattered, they still hold some soft power and wealth like a mob. They are looking for something, Mando takes the job.

It’s a simple set up and simple premise. As the episode moves forward we learn more about Mando’s culture and his people. We see Mando arrive on a planet and as a newcomer he is also learning about that world. He meets somebody who takes the time to explain what is happening on that world.

He goes out to accomplish his mission, we learn a little bit more about this universe and how it operates, and then he meets a baby and we are introduced to the true plot of the story.

Regardless if you know what the Child is related to, the show shows you that he is special. As the show progresses, it never assumes you know the lore but it also doesn’t hold your hand. You are able to piece the world together within the show without having to ever touch any other Star Wars media. It even treats the Force as an unknown, which makes it an accessible concept to an audience who might not have any cultural awareness about the franchise.

There are small references that are meant for fans, but it is never anything that won’t also get some explanation in the show or aren’t just surface level callbacks.

This is what a KH series would, in my opinion, need to be. It can still be about the Keyblade and the Heartless and visiting worlds, but it should not assume the audience has been keeping up with the series. It should be an entry that exists and teaches you the world of KH while also being a natural, wholly separate entry into the franchise.

Now, the Mandalorian was made by a team of highly talented writers, directors, and producers who all thought about these things. They knew they wanted a show that appealed to fans but was detached from the Skywalker saga so you didn’t NEED the films to understand the show. It’s a show affected by actions that occur in the Skywalker saga but it exists in its own corner of the galaxy.

They had the skill and the talent to be able to show their story, not tell it.

Nomura is very much the opposite kind of storyteller. He likes telling versus showing. Certainly things get shown but a lot of KH3 is just characters talking to each other explaining something until something happens. It doesn’t make for great cinematic storytelling. When Nomura does employ the show, not tell method, it ends up being some of the best and memorable moments of the game.

There isn’t anything wrong with telling, especially when there is a lot going on in KH3, but like instead of hearing the Organization talk about the new members, it should have been us seeing them recruited or the process of them being brought to the present time into their replica bodies. We should have seen Vexen restarting his replica program.

If this show is real and Nomura is in charge, I am worried. I don’t think he is incapable of employing consistent and engaging visual storytelling. Advent Children does do this plenty of times. In fact, it sometimes begs you to learn it’s story by only visual cues. I’m worried that he won’t make the show something removed from the main story at hand which will mean it has to use a lot of verbal storytelling to make sure the audience knows wtf is going on.

Remind/Limit Cut has this issue, too, now that I think about it. It was like 5 minutes of Roxas explaining about their X and how they wanted and needed it back. Ugh. We skip a whole year in which stuff happens but we don’t see it and just brief looks at where things are or who is doing what before we get info dumped about data.

I guess what I’m saying is that I want this to be the Mandalorian, not KH3.75.

I’m going to be disappointed by this, aren’t I?

2 quid is good

Awards
Nomura is very much the opposite kind of storyteller. He likes telling versus showing.
This is the crux of the whole thing for me. I used to teach little kids for English, and while it's absolutely valid to employ "tell not show" it rarely works out well, especially when you're 10 and that tends to be along very basic lines.

Not that I'm equating Nomura with my 10 year olds... But some of them had really gripping turns of phrase and by the end of the year all of them had improved just with the implementation of "show, don't tell"

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Yeah, honestly for a KH show to work, it has to be stripped down to the most barebones version of itself possible. A simple conflict, a simple story, and simple lore. It can be built up from there but it needs to be able to explain itself concisely within the confines of its own story.

For example, let’s look at the Mandalorian. I’m going to speak as though I am new to Star Wars. The show introduces us to Mando. We get auxiliary Information from the events and characters around him that explain what his job is, who he is, and what a Mandalorian is. We get clues about the economy of this universe and how there is a fallen power that led to money being scarce.

We learn the Empire fell and while they are scattered, they still hold some soft power and wealth like a mob. They are looking for something, Mando takes the job.

It’s a simple set up and simple premise. As the episode moves forward we learn more about Mando’s culture and his people. We see Mando arrive on a planet and as a newcomer he is also learning about that world. He meets somebody who takes the time to explain what is happening on that world.

He goes out to accomplish his mission, we learn a little bit more about this universe and how it operates, and then he meets a baby and we are introduced to the true plot of the story.

Regardless if you know what the Child is related to, the show shows you that he is special. As the show progresses, it never assumes you know the lore but it also doesn’t hold your hand. You are able to piece the world together within the show without having to ever touch any other Star Wars media. It even treats the Force as an unknown, which makes it an accessible concept to an audience who might not have any cultural awareness about the franchise.

There are small references that are meant for fans, but it is never anything that won’t also get some explanation in the show or aren’t just surface level callbacks.

This is what a KH series would, in my opinion, need to be. It can still be about the Keyblade and the Heartless and visiting worlds, but it should not assume the audience has been keeping up with the series. It should be an entry that exists and teaches you the world of KH while also being a natural, wholly separate entry into the franchise.

Now, the Mandalorian was made by a team of highly talented writers, directors, and producers who all thought about these things. They knew they wanted a show that appealed to fans but was detached from the Skywalker saga so you didn’t NEED the films to understand the show. It’s a show affected by actions that occur in the Skywalker saga but it exists in its own corner of the galaxy.

Nomura is very much the opposite kind of storyteller. He likes telling versus showing. Certainly things get shown but a lot of KH3 is just characters talking to each other explaining something until something happens. It doesn’t make for great cinematic storytelling. When Nomura does employ the show, not tell method, it ends up being some of the best and memorable moments of the game.

There isn’t anything wrong with telling, especially when there is a lot going on in KH3, but like instead of hearing the Organization talk about the new members, it should have been us seeing them recruited or the process of them being brought to the present time into their replica bodies. We should have seen Vexen restarting his replica program.

If this show is real and Nomura is in charge, I am worried. I don’t think he is incapable of employing consistent and engaging visual storytelling. Advent Children does do this plenty of times. In fact, it sometimes begs you to learn it’s story by only visual cues. I’m worried that he won’t make the show something removed from the main story at hand which will mean it has to use a lot of verbal storytelling to make sure the audience knows wtf is going on.

Remind/Limit Cut has this issue, too, now that I think about it. It was like 5 minutes of Roxas explaining about their X and how they wanted and needed it back. Ugh. We skip a whole year in which stuff happens but we don’t see it and just brief looks at where things are or who is doing what before we get info dumped about data.

I guess what I’m saying is that I want this to be the Mandalorian, not KH3.75.

I’m going to be disappointed by this, aren’t I?
I haven't seen the Mandalorian, only baby Yoda memes, so I can't comment on that.

I do wish they had gone the route of showing the Organization being recruited as opposed to that long boring exposition cutscene. That could have given the characters even more depth. And I'll never forgive the option of not showing Vexen make his replicas. How did he make those things in the middle of a desert? The manga and novels both at least try to give some backstory on how they are made but the games never even try. Also I still can't believe we never got all 13 Seekers of Darkness together for a cutscene all playing off one another. No scene of them on their thrones throwing jabs at one another trying to out politic the other. I feel cheated.

the red monster

Awards
I hope the show will succeed just for the fact the games will have higher budget.

anyhow, i think it will mainly focus on kingdom hearts 1 since the story is more simplistic and involve disney villains joining up together.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Would be nice if the first episode started with Sora, Riku, and Kairi in school on the main island. I've always wanted to see Sora and Riku in school uniforms

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

& then Season 2 brings in Boba Fett, a minor character from the films glorified by the fandom & EU material, & Ahsoka, a character who wasn't even in the films to begin with. Mandalorian's about to go all KH on us.

Would be nice if the first episode started with Sora, Riku, and Kairi in school on the main island. I've always wanted to see Sora and Riku in school uniforms
With Quistis as the teacher.

Back