• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why does nobody talk about how 0.2 was better than KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

2 quid is good

Awards
The title may seem clickbaity and contentious but I think it's totally true.
  • 0.2 had puzzles incorporated in the level design
  • Platforming is better
  • it had dynamic cinematography even in mundane situations which KH3 absolutely doesn't have (compare Mysterious Tower scenes from both games)
  • Kairi has personality
  • Characters react in organic ways to the events that happen around them (Aqua showing emotion, it's great)
  • Vastly improves on Terra and Aqua's characters
  • situation commands make more sense to attain than in KH3
  • Plot is engaging throughout
  • Incorporation of Disney Worlds is actually very good and works thematically
  • Kairi and Riku talk like real people
  • There really isn't awkward pauses in dialogue
  • NEKO EARS?!?!?
I could talk at length about any one of these points, but for the sake of brevity I'll leave them as a list, but honestly, I feel like I might be going crazy because playing 0.2 legitimately made me so excited for KH3 - it felt like a worthy successor and that the story was going in the right direction, and the characters felt more 3D in their short outings. Like, did I imagine how good it was?

I mean dodgy graphics and combat aside, everything else about it felt like KH was "maturing" for want of a better word, am I the only one?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I haven't played 0.2, so my opinion is limited, but we should cut KH3 some slack with the fact that the devs lost a year (perhaps even more) of development. Not only did they had to work from the ground up, but I presume they were pressured to work on a deadline because they wanted to recuperate costs from lost dev time.

AegisXIII

Awards
The dark ambiance was great.
The gameplay was simplistic yet fun and wasn't trying to do too much at the same time.

I truly believe that if they had kept 0.2 as part of the intro of kh3, like roxas for kh2, critics for kh3 would have been much better.

Henryp

Awards
The title may seem clickbaity and contentious but I think it's totally true.
  • 0.2 had puzzles incorporated in the level design
  • Platforming is better
  • it had dynamic cinematography even in mundane situations which KH3 absolutely doesn't have (compare Mysterious Tower scenes from both games)
  • Kairi has personality
  • Characters react in organic ways to the events that happen around them (Aqua showing emotion, it's great)
  • Vastly improves on Terra and Aqua's characters
  • situation commands make more sense to attain than in KH3
  • Plot is engaging throughout
  • Incorporation of Disney Worlds is actually very good and works thematically
  • Kairi and Riku talk like real people
  • There really isn't awkward pauses in dialogue
  • NEKO EARS?!?!?

Short answer; no, I don't think 0.2 is better than KH3. I see 0.2 as what it is, a pre-release presentation of KH in ps4.

Going point by point then:

• If you refer to the Mirrors segment, then yeah, KH3 doesn't have anything exactly like that. However, every single world has at least something of its own, in example: the laberynth in Arandelle, the segment in Corona using rapunzel to progress, many of the not so clear passages both above and underwater in caribbean... it is just a different design or approach. I can see that it can be argue that KH3 approach may require less thinking that the mirrors segment, but let's not forget that the mirrors were brain-dead simple.
  • Again, platforming is just different. I know air-stepping and wall walking made somethings easier, but KH3 still have many situations that requires you to use double jump or air slide. And some parts of 0.2, specially the forest of thorns, were kinda clunky sometimes.
  • Not gonna lie some mysterious tower scenes are weird, but there is ton of "dynamic cinematography" specially regarding the SGD trio.
  • Kairi in KH3 has personality. She spends a lot of time being Sora centered, but she has good moments regarding Namine and her new relantioship with Lea. I don't think a single scene teasing Riku showcase more personality than her being worried about Namine or being friendly with Lea. If what you were refering to is that that single scene reflects how Kairi behaved in KH1, not much to argue on that.
  • SDG reacts pretty well in the events that happen around them. Disney characters have the best reaction to the non-sense mainplot than any other game. RAX reunion seems like a proper reaction to their reunion. TAV reaction to the spirit of Eraqus seems pretty on point...
  • Vastly improves Sora as a character, specially after DDD. And I don't see that much of improvement for Terra in 0.2.
  • The situation commands that are shared between the two games behave exactly the same, and in both cases there is some randomness in them. KH3 actually gaves a little bit more of control with cerating things such as critical converter, cufflinks and ez codes.
  • I found myself engaged to the KH3 plot most of my playthrough, although I know this hasn't been the same for others.
  • Disney worlds, for obvious reasons, are only envioronmental in 0.2. No NPCs, no party members, nothing happen in them except for Aqua's journey. I can't repeat this enough, but Disney incoporation in KH3 for me feels among the best of the series, compared to titles like CoM, KH2, Days, Coded, DDD and X.
  • Riku voice acting was very off during KH3, I must admit, lacking emotion. I still believe they are great moments for both Kairi and Riku, which can compare to the only two scenes in the whole 0.2 game where they speak.
  • I do think there are, both in the Aqua-Terra reunion and in Mickey's plot exposition in DI.
  • Not gonna lie, I would have loved the wardrobe feature in KH3.
In general, I think 0.2 and 3 share many many aspects becuase they are, at the end of the day, two parts of a single game. Because 0.2 came 2 years earlier, there are many things in 0.2 that are not as fleshed as they could be (Mickey model...). I do understand that the tighter experience that 0.2 is in regards of plot and combat allows some aspects that KH3 also has to shine brighter. However, just because the world within is more clever than Arandelle labyrinth or air-stepping killed more conventional platforming doesn't imply that KH3 is worse than 0.2, as many of the things you listed are actually pretty comparable in both games and many things were not listed, such as: gummi ship open worlds, the many side content and minigames in the original release, the post game content and battle content provided by remind, the imrpoved graphics, the music, the amazing design of at least 10 different areas with different level designs...

cakito123

Awards
I don't feel the same. 0.2 was great, yes, but mostly because of the level design. Aqua's moves isn't that great to play in my opinion, the enemies we encounter also aren't that memorable, and the puzzles we face also doesn't gave me a good taste in my mouth after the first time I played it.

KH3 in the other hand, had a lot of variety. After 2020's update, moving sora around is great, and the level design is great too - not as much as 0.2's town segments, but almost just as good. The Caribbean would be the only world where I see they surpassed 0.2's level design, but overall, I think KH3 is a better game than 0.2

okhi12

Awards
Tbh when I read the title I thought I was going to strongly disagree but after reading those reasons I mostly agree with them.
The level design, puzzles, challenges and the portrayal of Aqua and Terra were much better in 0.2 than in KH3.

The gameplay was very limited but fun anyway for a very short experience... it would have felt very repetitive if the game was longer.

I kinda agree with Kairi having more personality (and more similar to KH1 and 2) in her only 0.2 scene than in KH3 but that's just because vanilla KH3 neglected her a lot and she only interacted with Lea.

However KH3 is a full game with so much content and a much more polished combat (especially after the updates that added critical mode and the new combos). I absolutely love 0.2 but if I had to choose I would go for the full experience KH3 provides.

This thread made me remember how much I love the realm of darkness as a world... I wish Nomura decided to make a full game about the new adventures of the BBS trio in the realm of darkness. That would be amazing, and just as interesting as the -almost guaranteed- Shibuya game.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
0.2 was a nice side game and I do wish it was the intro for KH3. However, I don't think that 0.2 would have worked as a full length 20+ hour game. By the time we get to the end of the game, I actually feel pretty tired with it, so it's the right length for the game's story and gameplay. Also, the emphasis on loneliness was definitely felt and I liked the dark feel of the whole game, but that atmosphere can only work for so long before it gets repetitive or too depressing.

So again, 0.2 was great, but I don't think you can really compare the two games. I mean, right off the bat of course Terra and Aqua will get better treatment in a game that's focused on that trio and doesn't have anything besides them to focus on. KH3 had Disney, SDG, TAV, RAX, Organization XIII, MoM, etc. to focus on.

2 quid is good

Awards
I haven't played 0.2, so my opinion is limited, but we should cut KH3 some slack with the fact that the devs lost a year (perhaps even more) of development. Not only did they had to work from the ground up, but I presume they were pressured to work on a deadline because they wanted to recuperate costs from lost dev time.
I would probably be more sympathetic but 0.2 was a part of KH3 originally, and the decision to split them was obviously made pretty late on. Either way, it's still a "part" of KH3 in my eyes, so I can't wrap my head around why it's so different as an overall product.

• If you refer to the Mirrors segment, then yeah, KH3 doesn't have anything exactly like that. However, every single world has at least something of its own, in example: the laberynth in Arandelle, the segment in Corona using rapunzel to progress, many of the not so clear passages both above and underwater in caribbean... it is just a different design or approach. I can see that it can be argue that KH3 approach may require less thinking that the mirrors segment, but let's not forget that the mirrors were brain-dead simple.
  • Again, platforming is just different. I know air-stepping and wall walking made somethings easier, but KH3 still have many situations that requires you to use double jump or air slide. And some parts of 0.2, specially the forest of thorns, were kinda clunky sometimes.
I'm gonna take this point by point too, but the first two flow well so I grouped them together. I don't think KH3 can be allowed to get away with saying the level design it has isn't better or worse, just "different", because the same can be said for every game in the series, yet we all agree that KH2 had bad level design. And as for airstep, Flow motion etc, it does impact platforming. If tools are given to the player to use for traversal, then the level design should work to incorporate all those elements. The only world that successfully did that was probably Olympus. Also no, I'm not just talking about the mirrors and I don't think they were "brain dead" easy. They did require you to engage with your environment. For the most part, KH3 level design is just KH2 but with wall running. As for the clunkyness, I can't exactly agree with that because it's not something I ever came across but I'll take your word for it, and also remind you that this is a much older build, so frankly I'm my eyes, everything it does that's on par or better than KH3 just makes it more so in my eyes.
Not gonna lie some mysterious tower scenes are weird, but there is ton of "dynamic cinematography" specially regarding the SGD trio.
Much of KH3 cutscenes that aren't shot for shot remakes of disney films are actually pretty formulaic, and are simple shot reverse shot, with, again, Olympus being an exception. The Disney worlds in general aren't so plain, purely because there was probably a lot of collaboration between the original teams. Also notice, in KH3 when one person is speaking or in focus, nobody in the background does anything, not even an idle animation. This is not the case with a single cutscene in 0.2. Again, it's not impressive to me that KH3 sometimes matches 0.2 in this regard because again, it's a much older build, and should be the worser version.

• Kairi in KH3 has personality. She spends a lot of time being Sora centered, but she has good moments regarding Namine and her new relantioship with Lea. I don't think a single scene teasing Riku showcase more personality than her being worried about Namine or being friendly with Lea. If what you were refering to is that that single scene reflects how Kairi behaved in KH1, not much to argue on that.
  • SDG reacts pretty well in the events that happen around them. Disney characters have the best reaction to the non-sense mainplot than any other game. RAX reunion seems like a proper reaction to their reunion. TAV reaction to the spirit of Eraqus seems pretty on point...
  • Vastly improves Sora as a character, specially after DDD. And I don't see that much of improvement for Terra in 0.2.
I'm gonna take these three at once, no, I don't think I can hand on heart say Kairi is anything resembling a character in KH3. She had a good first scene with Lea, but everything after that was so downhill that it soured me a lot on that one small, decent portrayal of her. She might have only had a few lines in 0.2, but she showed more emotion there than in KH3 (like when she expressed serious shock after hearing axel had a Keyblade) I'd rather have her in small quantities with her done right than large quantities where she's a non entity. Also she hardly speaks about Namine, certainly not enough to warrant it being a pivotal relationship for her in the game, although it should be. Sora has a couple good one liners, and the Disney characters have good meme lines too, but that's not what I mean. I'm not talking about witty one liners, I'm talking about characters seeing what happens around them, or pondering on what has happened to them, and coming up with their own views on the events, rather than "Well I don't care what's going on, you friendless loser!". I'm not saying an endless monologue in the style of Aqua is appropriate, but some introspection would be nice occasionally.
And yes, sora is a huge cut above how he was in DDD, but he's not really at the pinnacle of his character either, whereas in 0.2 Terra was given some time to really interact with Aqua after his possession, and he's much more apologetic as well as proactive on trying to lessen Xehanorts influence.

The situation commands that are shared between the two games behave exactly the same, and in both cases there is some randomness in them.
This has been proven by members of the community to not be the case, while there is still an element of randomness in both, 0.2 is much more consistent with getting situation commands, it's a fact at this point.
As you said, your points about the plot and disney worlds are more subjective so I won't address those, and I feel like I've already covered my opinions on the other points except for this:

However, just because the world within is more clever than Arandelle labyrinth or air-stepping killed more conventional platforming doesn't imply that KH3 is worse than 0.2
I disagree, I think that this does make the platforming worse in KH3. Not to mention the total lack of puzzles across the board in KH3.
0.2 was a nice side game and I do wish it was the intro for KH3. However, I don't think that 0.2 would have worked as a full length 20+ hour game. By the time we get to the end of the game, I actually feel pretty tired with it, so it's the right length for the game's story and gameplay. Also, the emphasis on loneliness was definitely felt and I liked the dark feel of the whole game, but that atmosphere can only work for so long before it gets repetitive or too depressing.

So again, 0.2 was great, but I don't think you can really compare the two games. I mean, right off the bat of course Terra and Aqua will get better treatment in a game that's focused on that trio and doesn't have anything besides them to focus on. KH3 had Disney, SDG, TAV, RAX, Organization XIII, MoM, etc. to focus on.
You misunderstood me. I'm not saying 0.2 should have been extended to an entire game, that would be terrible for pacing. Rather, the style of 0.2 should have stayed consistent for the entirety of KH3, in terms of how it told its plot, level design, and cinematography and dialogue. And hell, everyone got a better track record in 0.2, even if they only had a couple lines

OneDandelion

Awards
100% agree with you and I have said it before. .2 was kingdom hearts at its absolute finest. It was dark, foreboding, introspective, and original. AND it had a bit of platforming that was actually fun which is hard to even imagine these days. It was everything that KH3 needed to be.

It was also what hyped me up for KH3 and the reason I believe that Disney sabotaged it. They hinted at the worlds falling to darkness in all of the trailers leading up to KH3, and we should have been playing through dark twisted versions of all the worlds we journeyed to like Aqua does in .2 in the castle of dreams/dark forest. It would have allowed the game to have a proper plot instead of loosely trying to segway more unnecessary guardians of light into the story. But in the end, obviously, disney couldn't allow SE to create dark versions of their kid friendly IP's so we ended up with an awkward fusion of 25 hours of gameplay for babies and about 5 hours of a watered down "dark" ending that KH3 actually needed

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
You misunderstood me. I'm not saying 0.2 should have been extended to an entire game, that would be terrible for pacing. Rather, the style of 0.2 should have stayed consistent for the entirety of KH3, in terms of how it told its plot, level design, and cinematography and dialogue. And hell, everyone got a better track record in 0.2, even if they only had a couple lines
I guess you're right about the world design, but again I think the issue lies in 0.2's size compared to KH3. The length of one Disney world in KH3 was the length of 0.2 in its entirety. Would it be possible to design a whole Disney world to be as unique as the 0.2 ones? Not only that, but 0.2 had the luxury of 1) having worlds that didn't have to stay close to the source material due to them being ruined by darkness and 2) not having Disney characters to interact with and affect pacing. Aqua's visit to Dwarf Woodlands where she encounters NO Disney characters and can stay focused on her plot (while using elements of that world to enhance her plot) cannot be compared to Sora's visit to a world in KH3 where he HAS to encounter Disney characters and gets entangled in their plot.

I'm all for using all prior games and even KH3 as a learning experience moving forward in this generation for the KH franchise. I feel like 0.2 and KH3 were just the development teams figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'm hoping that they do work on level design because although I really liked what they did with the KH3 worlds, where they all felt unique as I travelled through them, there could be more creative designs. I think a major issue with that is the flow-motion and wall running.

2 quid is good

Awards
Aqua's visit to Dwarf Woodlands where she encounters NO Disney characters and can stay focused on her plot (while using elements of that world to enhance her plot) cannot be compared to Sora's visit to a world in KH3 where he HAS to encounter Disney characters and gets entangled in their plot.
Well that's just it, he doesn't HAVE to get all tangled up in disney plots, especially when half the worlds had original plots already written, they could have easily adapted the main story to weave in much better than they did but a clear decision was made to separate the two.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well that's just it, he doesn't HAVE to get all tangled up in disney plots, especially when half the worlds had original plots already written, they could have easily adapted the main story to weave in much better than they did but a clear decision was made to separate the two.
He HAS to get tangled up in Disney plots because DISNEY SAID SO. Just look at the Frozen world. I don't think Nomura made the decision for Arendelle to be Frozen Abridged featuring Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Larxene.

cakito123

Awards
He HAS to get tangled up in Disney plots because DISNEY SAID SO. Just look at the Frozen world. I don't think Nomura made the decision for Arendelle to be Frozen Abridged featuring Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Larxene.

I didn't know about that... is there any evidence that Nomura is obligated to make SDG interact with the movie's characters? Because seeing 0.2, Days and some BBS worlds, that don't seem to be the case, but I ould be wrong.

I always though that if Nomura wanted to focus on SDG adventuring against Larxene without featuring Elsa/Anna that much, he probably could have.
But as one of the appeals of KH is SDG encountering these other characters from the movies, he decided to go against that and shoe-horn SDG even with all restrictions Disney gave him to Arendelle's world in the game...

Henryp

Awards
I'm gonna take this point by point too, but the first two flow well so I grouped them together. I don't think KH3 can be allowed to get away with saying the level design it has isn't better or worse, just "different", because the same can be said for every game in the series, yet we all agree that KH2 had bad level design. And as for airstep, Flow motion etc, it does impact platforming. If tools are given to the player to use for traversal, then the level design should work to incorporate all those elements. The only world that successfully did that was probably Olympus. Also no, I'm not just talking about the mirrors and I don't think they were "brain dead" easy. They did require you to engage with your environment. For the most part, KH3 level design is just KH2 but with wall running. As for the clunkyness, I can't exactly agree with that because it's not something I ever came across but I'll take your word for it, and also remind you that this is a much older build, so frankly I'm my eyes, everything it does that's on par or better than KH3 just makes it more so in my eyes.

If you don't refer to the mirrors puzzles in the World Within, then I don't understand what are you referring to, as the only other mechanics I can find in the worlds design is the clock and the torns, and very similar concepts can be found in many places in KH3.

Saying that KH3 is KH2 with wall running is not true, seems more like a biased view. You can actually complete the entirity of KH2 storyline with only a couple of mandatory jumps and never high jump because it's attached to a growth ability. I can think of at least one moment or segment in practically every world that requires a lot more than simply running/wall running, including moments that requires air step, air slide, jump, sliding, underwater diving, flowmotion in other capacities...

I am not saying that 0.2 did not have amazing envioronments and good integration of gameplay and exploration. The same way, I am not saying that KH3 did an indisputable job with every desicion in their world design (i.e. Monstropolis is very linear and Corona is too flat for mi taste, and Arandelle is aesthetically too similar). I am saying that just because 0.2 did really clever design for some areas (the game gets flatter as you progress), we should not be unfair with the many, many good designs KH3 had, how different the worlds felt from one another, how big they are, how there are many things to discover if you explore, etc.

Much of KH3 cutscenes that aren't shot for shot remakes of disney films are actually pretty formulaic, and are simple shot reverse shot, with, again, Olympus being an exception. The Disney worlds in general aren't so plain, purely because there was probably a lot of collaboration between the original teams. Also notice, in KH3 when one person is speaking or in focus, nobody in the background does anything, not even an idle animation. This is not the case with a single cutscene in 0.2. Again, it's not impressive to me that KH3 sometimes matches 0.2 in this regard because again, it's a much older build, and should be the worser version.

I see your point in that in that a happens a lot of times in KH3, specially that weird scene at mysterious tower. However, there are many instances that it doesn't happen either, and just because the couple of scenes in 0.2 that are not Aqua alone or two people max handle the atmosphere and the interaction in a great way, again, let's not forget there are more than a couple of scenes in KH3 are good.

I'm gonna take these three at once, no, I don't think I can hand on heart say Kairi is anything resembling a character in KH3. She had a good first scene with Lea, but everything after that was so downhill that it soured me a lot on that one small, decent portrayal of her. She might have only had a few lines in 0.2, but she showed more emotion there than in KH3 (like when she expressed serious shock after hearing axel had a Keyblade) I'd rather have her in small quantities with her done right than large quantities where she's a non entity. Also she hardly speaks about Namine, certainly not enough to warrant it being a pivotal relationship for her in the game, although it should be.

While I do believe Kairi was underdeveloped in KH3, but she is still a character. A secondary character and part of Sora's character? Yes. But still a character on its own with some good interactions in this game. Again, a one time cutscene doesn't hold ground to put 0.2 as better or a diferent character than KH3 Kairi. I believe Kairi has been killed and killed again as character sometime during KH2 onwards, but I do feel that for every good moment she had in 0.2, she also had others in KH3 and Remind.

Sora has a couple good one liners, and the Disney characters have good meme lines too, but that's not what I mean. I'm not talking about witty one liners, I'm talking about characters seeing what happens around them, or pondering on what has happened to them, and coming up with their own views on the events, rather than "Well I don't care what's going on, you friendless loser!". I'm not saying an endless monologue in the style of Aqua is appropriate, but some introspection would be nice occasionally.
And yes, sora is a huge cut above how he was in DDD, but he's not really at the pinnacle of his character either, whereas in 0.2 Terra was given some time to really interact with Aqua after his possession, and he's much more apologetic as well as proactive on trying to lessen Xehanorts influence.

Wasn't talking about "witty one liners" or the memes. Sora, specially when talking with Donald and Goofy, show introspection in regards of feeling powerless, Roxas and Ventus. He has really good interactions with characters such as Woody and Hiro. He is affected by Hercules words after he leaves the world and remembers Roxas more than once during his journey after the events of TT. He is affected by Vanitas in monstropolis and he learns that Ven's heart is inside of him in that world. I don't know about you, but I think there are many many really good moments with Sora and SDG troughout the whole game, that in my opinion felt as good or better than Aqua's introspection.

Regarding Terra, again you are referring to a one-time scene... that actually is pretty similar to Terra's attitude in blank points and to Terra's return in KG in KH3. So no, while a good scene, I don't consider a point of character development for him, at least not good enough to be taken as an argument against KH3.

This has been proven by members of the community to not be the case, while there is still an element of randomness in both, 0.2 is much more consistent with getting situation commands, it's a fact at this point.
As you said, your points about the plot and disney worlds are more subjective so I won't address those, and I feel like I've already covered my opinions on the other points except for this:

Can you give a link to a comparison between the two systems? I'm serious, I've been deadly curious about how the system works.

The explanation I got in youtube from the Ultimania translations was that the meter fills up to a % of damage dealt with an attack (physical, fire, blizzard...). Once filled, the % of certain attack gives the probability to obtain grand magic and keyblade transformation. So if 40% of the damage was done with a fire spell, then the probability to obtain that specific grand magic is 40%, or something along those lines. I haven't found any piece of confirmation that the meter and situation commands work different between 0.2 and KH3, so if you have I would appreciate it very much.

I disagree, I think that this does make the platforming worse in KH3. Not to mention the total lack of puzzles across the board in KH3.

I agree with you that KH3 lacks a conventional type of platforming. In other games, you need to gain certain ability (like glide or double jump), to be able to reach an specific part of the level. In KH3, you pretty much have a full arsenal from the beggining that allows you to reach practically every part of the world. Refering back to the first point, KH3 has a lot of situations where you don'ts just walk/run, but actually need to do other things, such as air stepping, air sliding, double jumping, etc. Again, this is present in practically every single word in some fashion.

So at the end of the day it narrows to personal opinion. I understand why you, or other people, would prefer the approach of using a well timed jump to reach certain part of the level. For me, as someone pointed out previously, Aqua's movement in 0.2 is frustating in some parts. And for the size of the open areas in KH3, I loved air stepping and wall running, which in combination with regular jump and air slide allowed me to explore the worlds from the first time I landed there. And KH3 do have many things that comes from exploring using most of your abilities (I don't think glide is necessary in any point of the game), so it feels rewarding.

AR829038

Awards
I mean, I couldn't disagree more, and frankly, I think it takes a lot of anti-KH3 bias to insinuate that a game that literally takes less than 3 hours to beat is better than a fully-fledged 60+-hour title. 0.2 was good, but all its best parts can be found in almost every world in KH3, which also lacks 0.2's graphical flaws. You're just choosing to overlook those.

OneDandelion

Awards
I mean, I couldn't disagree more, and frankly, I think it takes a lot of anti-KH3 bias to insinuate that a game that literally takes less than 3 hours to beat is better than a fully-fledged 60+-hour title. 0.2 was good, but all its best parts can be found in almost every world in KH3, which also lacks 0.2's graphical flaws. You're just choosing to overlook those.
"you're nitpicking and biased, I win, bye bye."

"all its best parts can be found in almost every world in KH3"

Except for literally everything the OP pointed out.

2 quid is good

Awards
0.2 was good, but all its best parts can be found in almost every world in KH3, which also lacks 0.2's graphical flaws. You're just choosing to overlook those.
I feel like I went pretty in depth as to why I feel that 0.2 performed better in aspects than KH3 DESPITE its lower graphical and combat prowess. I didn't ignore those issues at all and stated that they were areas KH3 improved on, which is as it should be considering 0.2 is for all intents and purposes a beta. But the fact remains that everything else in 0.2 added together outweighed the graphics, whereas I feel its quite the opposite for KH3.

While I'm not the biggest fan of KH3, I don't feel like I've grossly misrepresented it. I acknowledged that Olympus and The Caribbean utilised platforming on par or better than 0.2, I acknowledged that there are many Disney centric scenes in KH that had good cinematography, I just feel 0.2 captures the perfect evolution of what a kingdom hearts game should be, and it promises something grander than what we eventually had.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I didn't know about that... is there any evidence that Nomura is obligated to make SDG interact with the movie's characters? Because seeing 0.2, Days and some BBS worlds, that don't seem to be the case, but I ould be wrong.

I always though that if Nomura wanted to focus on SDG adventuring against Larxene without featuring Elsa/Anna that much, he probably could have.
But as one of the appeals of KH is SDG encountering these other characters from the movies, he decided to go against that and shoe-horn SDG even with all restrictions Disney gave him to Arendelle's world in the game...
Disney may not say specifically "they must interact with our characters", but it would be pointless in a main title KH game to not encounter and be involved with (to some capacity) the Disney characters. I feel like with SDG it's more "obligatory" from both perspectives (player/developer) to be involved with Disney characters, but anyone else it's not a must (like Riku/Roxas/TAV etc).

I brought up Arendelle because Disney was very clear in how that world should be used. I get the feeling that Disney was way less restrictive with those worlds since they're from older movies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I’m surprised no one has mentioned that 0.2 launched with Critical Mode on the disc. KH fans love difficulty and the begging / subsequent love for KH3’s critical mode that I’m shocked that’s not been mentioned.

Also I loved 0.2’s vertical level design. Climbing to the top of the French town or to the tops of the cliffs in Enchanted Dominion was great. KH3 had some verticality but it’s level design was mostly horizontal (and the any verticalness was weighed out by horizontal design).

WastedPenguin

Awards
I think the only thing that made 0.2 a little more fun than KH3 were Aquas controls and the less Disney-like atmosphere.
Overall though, KH3 I had a lot more fun with KH3, especially with the remind dlc, which reintroduced the data battles and had some very well designed bossfights.

Back