• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

There's A Light That Never Goes Out: Positivity Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I've been feeling pretty down and using anything I can to distract me. KH is one of the obvious things because it's my favbourite game series of all time. With that being said, I think it'd be great for the members of the forum to post any positive memories they have with KH or just anything about it that made them happy. Sure there's times to be critical and whatnot, but I want this thread to be purely about the things in KH that make you love it.

Here's some of mine:
  • The first KH game I played was CoM on GBA. Atlantica was just walking around, so when I played KH1 on PS2 for the first time, I was expecting that as well because my young mind couldn't even fathom a game that featured walking around turning into an underwater game... when I hit Atlantica and saw that we'd be swimming, I was SO excited and happy! I love underwater worlds, so for KH to have it buried in there was so unique. It was something I had never seen before in a game and it just blew my mind. It's probably the reason I adore Atlantica in all the KH game appearances.
  • The KH 1 and 2 intros were just breathtaking to me as a kid. You know, back then you couldn't just whip up any video you wanted on YouTube, so it felt special watching the intros. You also couldn't access songs easily, so Simple & Clean and Sanctuary weren't even on my MP3 player as quickly as Face My Fears/Don't Think Twice were. I remember starting a new game multiple times just to see the intros and just savoring every second. Speaking of amazing intros, when I saw the CoM cutscenes (3D) on the GBA, that also surprised me. It had me in awe that a handheld console could do that.
  • I remember my first KH2 playthrough and not particularly liking Beast's Castle (I remember wanting to get to the worlds on the other side of the map quicker). When Xaldin posed a greater threat in the second visit, I got more concerned with the world. The fight was crazy but... MICKEY. I was blindsided by Mickey's appearance. I couldn't believe that they included him in there as a playable character. I remember my siblings were watching me lose to Xaldin, then when Mickey just jumped in like Yoda, everyone jumped in joyful surprise.
  • The Sephiroth fight. I had a friend who was more of a Final Fantasy fan, so he knew who Sephiroth was. I had no idea. So when I went back to the Coliseum and fought the Ice Titan, I thought the other secret boss would be just as easy. After spending a weekend getting beat by Sephiroth, I remember going back to school and telling my friend about the guy that kept beating me. This is the era of no smart phones and no internet in class, so I just described him and my friend was like "that sounds like Sephiroth, if it is you'll probably never win." That made me determined to beat Sephiroth. Eventually I beat Sephiroth, found out it was him, then told my friend and that's how I got him into KH because he wanted to fight Sephiroth like that.
  • CoM and KH2 ads on TV. I remember watching Disney Channel and seeing ads for CoM all the time. It's what made me aware of KH. Then when I heard about KH2, it was just so amazing to see KH2 ads on ACTUAL TV. Not just Disney Channel. That sort of validated the game to me, because a lot of people I knew hated it and thought it was a kids game.

phoenixmiko

Awards
The thought is appreciated. A place to express positivity for the series is a sound idea.

However, this thread would perhaps be more suited to the general Kingdom Hearts section of the forum, rather than the Kingdom Hearts 3 part. What do the moderators think?

OneDandelion

Awards
The music is probably my favorite part of the whole series. I play piano and I've learned most of the major themes in the series and it's really given me something to focus on and improve over the years. It's honestly impacted me quite a bit because without KH music I probably would have given up piano, but I've put a lot of time into it and I've gotten quite good. And in turn it's opened me up to classical music which has deeply impacted me as well.

I also have very fond memories of KH1, CoM, and KH2. I remember the first time I played it at my friends house and soon after my brother got a PS2 so we could play it.

PARACOSMIC-M

My imaginary magic fishpond in the back yard
This is such a great thread idea! The CoVID-19 situation has been really taking a toll on my mental health, and I know I’m not alone. Something like this wil be a great distraction.

Let’s see, some of my best kh memories are prolly:
  • I started “playing” (really just watching my fam play) kh when I was super young, and I basically wanted to watch kh2 over and over like most kids watch a movie. But with it being like a thirty hour video game, that wasn’t really feasible. So my parents‘ solution was to record the cutscenes on a VHS tape (I know I was spoiled). I remember falling asleep to that tape in like second or first grade, and the twilight town music being super relaxing.
  • Before I knew about KH, I really liked the Advent Children movie. Idk what appeal it had to a small child, but i thought it was hekka cool. So, seeing people like Cloud, Yuffie, Tifa, and Aerith in kh was so awesome to me. Especially since they were hanging out with Disney characters, cos at the time that was also my jam.
  • This one is more recent, but reading the days manga online was such a trip lol. There were so many moments of being like ‘wtf how is any of this happening?’ I knew a lot of that was the translation, but some of the plot stuff and the art was so wild. It led to a lot of the pages being completely bizarre and hilarious.
  • Totally weird one, but one summer my grandmother got into kh and it was so funny. How that happened was, I got to go to the kh orchestra for my sweet sixteen. Meanwhile she’s super into classical music and movie soundtrack stuff, so after I told her about the concert she started listening to the soundtrack on YouTube. Then she got the kh2 opening recommended, and next thing I know she’s asking me who everyone is and what’s going on.
  • Like in the OP, I also loved the intros and commercials. If im remembering right, Youtube used to have the kh2 opening, but with colors messed up so it wouldn’t get taken down? If it was real, most of its views were probably me haha. But yeah, nobody in my school knew what kh was, so seeing commercials on Disney was so weird. Like, see, people? I told y’all it was real! XD

I could add sooo many more, but these are just a few that popped in my head!

D

Deleted member 252753

This is a nice idea. Here are some of my positive memories:

- Playing the first two games soon after my family moved to Luxembourg from the UK in French. It improved my French and I found it really funny how they pronounced 'Kingdom Hearts' (like 'Kingdom Arrts).
- Somehow it makes me smile to remember how my copy of KH1 froze during the credits so I couldn't watch the Secret Movie, and I kept trying to make it work by wiping the disc with a cloth.
-Like the OP, my surprise at Mickey appearing when I died fighting Xaldin.
- Feeling like a boss after beating Sephiroth in KH2.
- The rush of nostalgia and excitement when I heard about the compilations on the PS4 so I could finally experience the side games and even play the final mix versions of 1 and 2 as well.
- Blank Points
- The utter madness of Master Xehanort's scene in DDD. Leonard Nimoy in earnest conversation with Mickey Mouse, absurd plot points, surprise reveals and entrances, and the promise of an epic battle.
- So many moments in KH3 but in particular Toybox and Master Xehanort's final speech.
-Joining this forum and learning more about the series and its fans and being able to talk with so many really smart nice people. Also, being able to get into the UX story thanks to Sign and Goldpanner.
-Finishing the ReMind scenario while my partner dozed beside me. She woke up as the epilogue started and when she saw the Foretellers she was so confused "What!? Is this the same game?". We laughed as I tried and failed to explain them and their connection to everything else in the series.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
A positive thread? This is a nice change of pace. Let me join the fun!

Playing KH1 for the first time: Was a lot of fun. My older sister got me into the series and I've been hooked ever since. Though I started late in 2007 :p

Superbosses in KH1: Being able to beat them for the first time was amazing. At first my sister was ahead of me but then the student overtook the master, as I managed to beat the Phantom and Sephiroth first and showed her how to do it. It was a good moment for me.

Getting the Ultima Keyblade: No matter what the game it always feels rewarding to get this game slayer. Especially in Kingdom Hearts 1. I'll never forget the joy when I first did it and used it to destroy everyone. Good times.

Hard bosses: Beating Ursula, Maleficent-Dragon, and Riku! These were fights I cheered when I won. I saw the "It is I, Ansem Seeker of Darkness" cutscene way too many times before winning, but it was so good to win.

KH2 bosses: The Organization boss fights were so wild when I first played. I remember having the time of my life smacking Saix around with his own weapon, or hitting Luxord as a dice. Of course there was Xaldin who became the Ursula of KH2 for me, still was fun. I was also surprised by Mickey appearing and wondered if he did it everywhere?

Learning about FF characters: KH was my first exposure to Final Fantasy so afterwords I looked up the histories of Cloud, Leon, Yuffie, Tifa, Aerith, Sephiroth, Cid and the bunch. And I'll never forget screaming when I learned Sephy killed Aerith. Sweet memories of my younger years lol.

First playthrough of Days: I remember not knowing what to expect. I wasn't a big fan or Roxas or the Organization as characters during that time but was starved for KH content after playing KH1 and KH2 hundreds of times. This was the first game to actually make me tear up. Now Roxas is my number one favorite character and I love the Organization.

Playing as Aqua: First time playing as a female character and she had her own personal reflect? I will always remember that first BBS playthrough of picking Aqua and cartwheeling everywhere in all her PSP glory. Then I realized she couldn't take a single hit lol.

Laughing at Xehanort's fingers: Oh come on! This always makes me smile no matter what crazy thing he's doing. Just watch those fingers wiggle and laugh.

KH3 Roxas and Xion return as party members: This needs no explanation. I was in all my glory. Best KH3 memory of the vanilla game.

KH3 DLC: Unlocking and fighting HER! Best memory of the DLC.

Novels and manga: This is some of the best media of Kingdom Hearts. More character moments, funnier dynamics in the manga. Some lingering questions answered or explained in the novels. These are true treasures to read. If you haven't I recommend them to any and all KH fans who love the series and the characters. They are both charming you won't be disappointed. Reading them always puts me in a good mood.

Teaching my sister: My older sis fell off the Kingdom Hearts wagon awhile ago and only recently picked it back up for KH3, just in time for the DLC. I explained the madness that had happened since she played KH2 back in 2008, and she surprisingly soaked it in like a sponge. She's totally down for the Foretellers saga which shocked me. We even played KH3 together recently. It was a lot of fun. Funny she got me into the series and I got her back into the series.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The music is probably my favorite part of the whole series. I play piano and I've learned most of the major themes in the series and it's really given me something to focus on and improve over the years. It's honestly impacted me quite a bit because without KH music I probably would have given up piano, but I've put a lot of time into it and I've gotten quite good. And in turn it's opened me up to classical music which has deeply impacted me as well.

I also have very fond memories of KH1, CoM, and KH2. I remember the first time I played it at my friends house and soon after my brother got a PS2 so we could play it.
YES! The music in KH was such an inspiration to me to learn piano... even though I haven't actually pushed to learn any KH songs (I wish there was a better arrangement of Face My Fears out there). My mentality has kinda always been "I want to become good enough to play those songs" and by that I mean I want to play the Piano Collections arrangements that are incredibly difficult pieces (rightfully so).

I remember being at a friend's house who was having trouble beating Riku at Hollow Bastion. I beat Riku for him and his neighborhood friends were there too, and they all tried to beat Riku, but couldn't. So it was really cool to have everyone in awe and excited to see what FINALLY happened after Riku... then to see their reaction to Sora killing himself (which I had already unlocked myself). Watching them be shocked at Sora's actions was a memory I will never forget. Then they urged me to continue playing so they could see the rest. I ended up beating KH1 with everyone there. Good times and fond memories of the carefree-ness of childhood.
This is such a great thread idea! The CoVID-19 situation has been really taking a toll on my mental health, and I know I’m not alone. Something like this wil be a great distraction.

Let’s see, some of my best kh memories are prolly:
  • I started “playing” (really just watching my fam play) kh when I was super young, and I basically wanted to watch kh2 over and over like most kids watch a movie. But with it being like a thirty hour video game, that wasn’t really feasible. So my parents‘ solution was to record the cutscenes on a VHS tape (I know I was spoiled). I remember falling asleep to that tape in like second or first grade, and the twilight town music being super relaxing.
  • Before I knew about KH, I really liked the Advent Children movie. Idk what appeal it had to a small child, but i thought it was hekka cool. So, seeing people like Cloud, Yuffie, Tifa, and Aerith in kh was so awesome to me. Especially since they were hanging out with Disney characters, cos at the time that was also my jam.
  • This one is more recent, but reading the days manga online was such a trip lol. There were so many moments of being like ‘wtf how is any of this happening?’ I knew a lot of that was the translation, but some of the plot stuff and the art was so wild. It led to a lot of the pages being completely bizarre and hilarious.
  • Totally weird one, but one summer my grandmother got into kh and it was so funny. How that happened was, I got to go to the kh orchestra for my sweet sixteen. Meanwhile she’s super into classical music and movie soundtrack stuff, so after I told her about the concert she started listening to the soundtrack on YouTube. Then she got the kh2 opening recommended, and next thing I know she’s asking me who everyone is and what’s going on.
  • Like in the OP, I also loved the intros and commercials. If im remembering right, Youtube used to have the kh2 opening, but with colors messed up so it wouldn’t get taken down? If it was real, most of its views were probably me haha. But yeah, nobody in my school knew what kh was, so seeing commercials on Disney was so weird. Like, see, people? I told y’all it was real! XD

I could add sooo many more, but these are just a few that popped in my head!
The cutscenes situation... I remember the struggle on the original KH games. I used to save right before fights/cutscenes that I wanted to rewatch, since I knew that I would have to play the game all over again to access them. The Twilight Town theme was like my Sunday afternoon song, it calming song with a hint of sadness that the weekend was almost over.

I WISH I could get my family into KH. The most I ever got was one time playing KH2 and I was in Port Royal. My cousin was in my house visiting and happened to walk by and was like... is Donald Duck and Goofy talking to Jack Sparrow? She sat down and just watched out of curiousity, but didn't get into the series.

It depends on how old you were when you were checking YouTube for KH2's intro. I remember trying way back in 2006 to find it and I never got it, except for like horrible quality. The KH2 commercial was so iconic for me. I had never actually waited for a game to come out, so seeing the commercials made me really believe that it was coming, so I got overwhelmingly excited.
This is a nice idea. Here are some of my positive memories:

- Playing the first two games soon after my family moved to Luxembourg from the UK in French. It improved my French and I found it really funny how they pronounced 'Kingdom Hearts' (like 'Kingdom Arrts).
- Somehow it makes me smile to remember how my copy of KH1 froze during the credits so I couldn't watch the Secret Movie, and I kept trying to make it work by wiping the disc with a cloth.
-Like the OP, my surprise at Mickey appearing when I died fighting Xaldin.
- Feeling like a boss after beating Sephiroth in KH2.
- The rush of nostalgia and excitement when I heard about the compilations on the PS4 so I could finally experience the side games and even play the final mix versions of 1 and 2 as well.
- Blank Points
- The utter madness of Master Xehanort's scene in DDD. Leonard Nimoy in earnest conversation with Mickey Mouse, absurd plot points, surprise reveals and entrances, and the promise of an epic battle.
- So many moments in KH3 but in particular Toybox and Master Xehanort's final speech.
-Joining this forum and learning more about the series and its fans and being able to talk with so many really smart nice people. Also, being able to get into the UX story thanks to Sign and Goldpanner.
-Finishing the ReMind scenario while my partner dozed beside me. She woke up as the epilogue started and when she saw the Foretellers she was so confused "What!? Is this the same game?". We laughed as I tried and failed to explain them and their connection to everything else in the series.
LOL! "Is this the same game!?" is a reaction I once got when my friend walked out of the room while I was in Atlantica singing in KH2, then when he came back in I was in The World That Never Was and it was a scene with the Organization. It's funny how KH has that element and unique tone switch.

You bring up a good point about joining this forum. After KH2 came out, I was desperate for a community who I could talk to about the series. I used to have all these theories and would obsess over the journal entries... but had no one to discuss with, then I found these forums and saw that I wasn't a freak and that there were actually people who liked the game and also loved talking about it in-depth.

The game freezing and trying to clean the disc... such a classic situation lol. One time I was fighting Riku and my game froze... thankfully I was about to lose to him anyway, so I took it as a sign from God to take a break.
A positive thread? This is a nice change of pace. Let me join the fun!

Playing KH1 for the first time: Was a lot of fun. My older sister got me into the series and I've been hooked ever since. Though I started late in 2007 :p

Superbosses in KH1: Being able to beat them for the first time was amazing. At first my sister was ahead of me but then the student overtook the master, as I managed to beat the Phantom and Sephiroth first and showed her how to do it. It was a good moment for me.

Getting the Ultima Keyblade: No matter what the game it always feels rewarding to get this game slayer. Especially in Kingdom Hearts 1. I'll never forget the joy when I first did it and used it to destroy everyone. Good times.

Hard bosses: Beating Ursula, Maleficent-Dragon, and Riku! These were fights I cheered when I won. I saw the "It is I, Ansem Seeker of Darkness" cutscene way too many times before winning, but it was so good to win.

KH2 bosses: The Organization boss fights were so wild when I first played. I remember having the time of my life smacking Saix around with his own weapon, or hitting Luxord as a dice. Of course there was Xaldin who became the Ursula of KH2 for me, still was fun. I was also surprised by Mickey appearing and wondered if he did it everywhere?

Learning about FF characters: KH was my first exposure to Final Fantasy so afterwords I looked up the histories of Cloud, Leon, Yuffie, Tifa, Aerith, Sephiroth, Cid and the bunch. And I'll never forget screaming when I learned Sephy killed Aerith. Sweet memories of my younger years lol.

First playthrough of Days: I remember not knowing what to expect. I wasn't a big fan or Roxas or the Organization as characters during that time but was starved for KH content after playing KH1 and KH2 hundreds of times. This was the first game to actually make me tear up. Now Roxas is my number one favorite character and I love the Organization.

Playing as Aqua: First time playing as a female character and she had her own personal reflect? I will always remember that first BBS playthrough of picking Aqua and cartwheeling everywhere in all her PSP glory. Then I realized she couldn't take a single hit lol.

Laughing at Xehanort's fingers: Oh come on! This always makes me smile no matter what crazy thing he's doing. Just watch those fingers wiggle and laugh.

KH3 Roxas and Xion return as party members: This needs no explanation. I was in all my glory. Best KH3 memory of the vanilla game.

KH3 DLC: Unlocking and fighting HER! Best memory of the DLC.

Novels and manga: This is some of the best media of Kingdom Hearts. More character moments, funnier dynamics in the manga. Some lingering questions answered or explained in the novels. These are true treasures to read. If you haven't I recommend them to any and all KH fans who love the series and the characters. They are both charming you won't be disappointed. Reading them always puts me in a good mood.

Teaching my sister: My older sis fell off the Kingdom Hearts wagon awhile ago and only recently picked it back up for KH3, just in time for the DLC. I explained the madness that had happened since she played KH2 back in 2008, and she surprisingly soaked it in like a sponge. She's totally down for the Foretellers saga which shocked me. We even played KH3 together recently. It was a lot of fun. Funny she got me into the series and I got her back into the series.
DAYS! Ugh... it came out at the perfect time, when I was an emo teen lol. If Roxas' appearance in KH2 alone wasn't enough to make me fall in love, when I heard Days was coming out and it was about Roxas' life -- I saved up for a DS. I literally got a DS JUST for Days. Ironically, I hated the gameplay, but I adored the cutscenes. Not only that, but it introduced me to Xion who has been one of my top characters for more than a decade!

The KH1 superbosses were great. I wish that they would continue that style in future games. I remember just wandering around in KH1 after beating the game and stumbling on Carpet and Tink saying they need help. I felt so dumb when I talked to Tink and she wouldn't take me unless I had Peter Pan. It took me like an hour to figure out that she wanted Peter Pan in the team lol. But I loved just exploring worlds for fun, then coming across these boss fights.

Ursula and everything in Atlantica is so special to me. I remember being terrified of the shark after it attacked, like I spent 5 minutes contemplating whether to leave the ship or not. But I loved the innocence of childhood and having to figure out these boss fights. I had no idea what to do against Ursula for the longest time, I just remember I noticed Thunder would accidentally hit the cauldron and something happened which then made me experiment. KH1's boss fights take me back to the days of no internet, so you'd have to figure things out on your own. I didn't even know Ultima Weapon existed in KH1. My friend who only knew FF and didn't play KH told me that FF normally has Ultima Weapon and that if KH was made by Square, it might have it too. That's what prompted me to go look around in KH and see if I could find out how to get it/if it existed.

PikaPal

Awards
- KH2, especially the Final Mix counterpart. One of the very first few PS2 games I played alongside the first Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, some other titles I can't remember and one of those crappy Phoenix Games/Dingo Pictures "games". Silly young me would spend half the time running around Destiny Islands and Twilight Town wondering what to do next. Came across it as an advert in the Official PlayStation 2 Magazine (the Just Cause issue).

- 358/2 Days's story even if the game itself is weak sauce.

- Leonard Nimoy and also Christopher Lloyd's legendary performances as Xehanort.

- The Re:Mind DLC being enjoyable fun.

- Reading the Kingdom Hearts manga that Tokyopop (same guys that wrecked Initial D's dub music and editing wise before FUNi took over) released before they gave up after Volume 2 of Kingdom Hearts II. Had plenty of fun reading them before I gave them to my sister... years later I got them all back but I'm probably going to replace the Kingdom Hearts II volume I have with the more complete Yen Press releases.

- The sea salt trio are so much fun with each other, easily my favourite of the three trios.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Another positive memory I have which is quite reason is grinding with EZ Codes on. I don't mind grinding but the EZ Codes cut back the time and make it go so smoothly. I have fond memories of maxing my defense up with EZ Codes.

Awards
I appreciate this thread, and I have so many fond memories of all the Kingdom Hearts games. Probably too many to list without putting anyone to sleep, LOL. I’ll just list a few.

- Playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix for the first time. I’m a newer fan of the series than a lot of people because my first time playing Kingdom Hearts was when they first released the HD 1.5 ReMix on PS3. At the time I had no idea how much I would end up loving it, but I am so glad I played it from beginning to end because now Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite video game franchises of all time.

- Finishing Re: Chain of Memories. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that one, considering how divisive it’s gameplay was, but I really enjoyed it and it helped me better understand what was going on in Kingdom Hearts II.

- Watching the 358/2 Days cutscenes, falling in love with that amazing story, and then later realizing it reveals most of the spoilers from KH2. LOL. I still am glad I watched those, though. The narrative of 358/2 Days has always been one of my favorites in the series.

- Finally playing Kingdom Hearts II when they first released the HD II.5 ReMix on PS3. I absolutely loved it, and to this day, when it comes to story, Kingdom Hearts II is probably my overall favorite (but Kingdom Hearts III comes very close, which is an accomplishment in of itself considering how good KH2‘s story is.)

- Playing all the other Kingdom Hearts games leading up to Kingdom Hearts III and absolutely loving them all as well.

- Replaying and beating Birth By Sleep on Proud Mode to make the secret ending easier to unlock. That was well worth the effort!

-Playing Unchained x / Union x on my phone. I was pleasantly surprised that with enough dedication I could play all the story quests without spending a single penny.

- Finally getting caught up with the story, having played everything before KH3. Again, well worth the effort!

- Picking up my copy of Kingdom Hearts III during it’s early release at GameStop. Also, hearing everyone at the early release making jokes such as, “Who’s ready to wait another 24 years for Kingdom Hearts IV?” LOL.

- Falling in love with Kingdom Hearts III, much to my joy. I absolutely loved it from beginning to end. I think Kingdom Hearts III is my 2nd favorite story wise, but my number one favorite gameplay wise. I’m so happy it finally came out too, and I didn’t even have to wait as long as those who had originally played Kingdom Hearts on the PS2.

- Playing the Re Mind DLC, only to find out I couldn’t beat the limit cut episode without easy codes. So, I replayed Kingdom Hearts III again on a new game plus with easy codes, which was surprisingly fun by itself. I then turned off the easy codes and beat some of the limit cut bosses legitimately, only to turn them back on once I got to a certain point. Finally, I beat the Secret Episode and loved it so much! Even if I did cheat a little. :)

- As mentioned by others, the music throughout the entire series is amazing!

I guess that was more than a few, ha ha. Sorry if I put anyone to sleep.

Back