• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Romance in a series about friendship

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

May-Jor

Awards
I mean the relationships are all there, they just don't heavily focus on the development of those relationships for some reason. I guess because they aren't that important to the main plot of the game.

Right now these are the obvious ones imo:
1. Sora + Kairi
2. Aqua + Terra
3. Riku + Namine

Looking ahead into the future:
1. Probably a love triangle with Axel, Saix, and whoever Subject X ends up being.
2. Ava and Gula have a thing going on imo.
3. And then there's Strelitzia who had a thing for the Ux player which never really had a chance to get off the ground. You know Nomura won't leave that alone. I mean he's taking more than what, 3 games just for Sora to say "Thanks, Namine". (Still working on it lol)

TLDR, romance is everywhere in this series, it's just sort of happening in the background.

I kinda touched upon this in the initial post, but a good portion of the relationships you mentioned aren't even romantic ones. Who knows? They might be in the future, but now there's nothing to indicated as they are now. Especially in Kingdom Hearts where the entire cast acts like this, characters feeling sentimental and deeply concerned over each other is not the same as romantic undertones.

Sora/Kairi is a given, so there's that. Riku was fulfilling Repliku's desire to bring back Namine in the end. Aqua/Terra don't really read as romantic, that aren't really read as strong friends either. Subject X also had no romantic undertones, especially since neither Lea or Isa know what she looks like and haven't seen her in a decade. I feel like that one was hit hardest with "he was a boy, she was a girl" in the fanbase. Persoanlly, I feel like Strelitza can be interpreted as a crush, but knowing this game it could easily be "I really want to be friends with this person" as well.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Plus I think the ending in Re:MIND downplayed RikuNami a bit. In that version she didn't look nearly as happy to see Riku as she did in the original one

I found it hilarious that he went to the extent that he instructed to change their expressions. Like, he didn't have to do that. He already stated that the end scene was about Repliku's connection with Naminé and Riku was acting as the representative, carrying his feelings. I guess he got triggered enough where he realized he messed up in the presentation.

I'm glad he did though. Because now before Naminé gives that small, calm smile, her eyes raise up a little as if she gets it after a second of wonder, and it fits with what was his intention. It gives the credit to, you know, Riku Replica, because it wasn't about Riku.

But it goes to show you how Nomura has characters be affectionate and he blurs the lines where those with shipping goggles are going to misinterpret certain actions.

Anyway, my overall opinion is that shipping is nice, but the fanbase (and it's not just KH), takes it way too seriously. No, no other couple other than Sora/Kairi are being framed romantically. No, there are no other "canon" couples. Yet. And to close it off, I find those who ship Sora/Riku as valid, but there are certain things they read too much into, they try to remove Kairi from the equation by taking away what she's done for Sora, twist quotes or concepts to fit the narrative they want, and the general denial. Are SoKai well written? I don't know. However, ignoring how Sora/Kairi are being pushed isn't going to help anyone in this shipping discourse that's been present since the beginning of the series.

I'm not into Sora/Kairi. They don't do it for me, even though they're the solid romantic aspect of the series.

I don't see Roxas/Xion as romantic and I didn't see the implication of it, especially once Xion herself says she's Roxas (and Sora) by quote and loves both Axel and Roxas (which tends to mean there's no distinction between the feelings with the two that would seem contrasting). And I might get side eyed for this, but I don't perceive Terra/Aqua as romantic either.

In fact, I find Riku and Aqua more appealing. Not that I think it's romantic either and something will come of it. Riku just exudes being a character that doesn't need or want a love interest, especially after KH3. He seems more concerned with his responsibilities and duties as a Master.

I'm fond of Roxas/Naminé, mostly because of the subtext in KH2, the reason why they bonded [through similar inevitable fates and that she's the only one who respected his agency and individuality to give him his request for honesty/truth]. But due to their circumstances, they haven't interacted face to face. There were stuff in DDD and KH3 itself, but subtle, and it didn't really lean one way or the other. There's been meta images (KHUx avatar pair ups, that KHUx anniversary picture where they swapped clothes, the stained glass of Sora and Kairi having them, etc.), but meta means nothing without the back up. So I'm curious to see where they finally stand now that Naminé possibly resides in TT.

For a reason I can't comprehend though, I'm really invested in Gula/Ava. And it's not like they had so much to offer considering it was just Back Cover, but I just think they're neat. I feel like I could truly "ship" it.

How is it that I find them more alluring than Sora and Kairi, I have no idea.

Last edited:

May-Jor

Awards
Unpopular opinion but I feel that the OCs have more romantic chemistry with some of the Disney characters. Sora x Rapunzel and Aqua x Cinderella are canon sry I don't make the rules around here.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You crushed my heart.

Are you serious!? Where was that artwork ever used before because I was jumping in glee that we got to see Riku, Roxas, and (I think) Xion's own, thinking that it was brand new.

What did he say in Ultimania? I mean, I kind of always shipped Aqua and Riku as well.

It was from the 15th anniversary stained glass clock exhibit, just tweaked slightly to remove some of the more obvious CoM references. All the platforms we saw in Re Mind are from this collection (Terra's, while not pictured in the exhibit, was used in cafe merchandise).

This is the quote from the Ultimania:

—In the Final World, Sora tells Namine, "Someone else special I know won't let you down." (*T/N: Literally, "the person you miss/want to see the most will come get you.") Did he mean Riku?

Nomura: He meant that the person Namine wants to see the most would come get her, as a way of cheering her up. It is actually Riku, in the form of the one who has been entrusted with the Riku Replica's feelings, who does go and get her. Namine does feel a special connection to Riku (the Riku Replica.)

Sora x Rapunzel and Aqua x Cinderella are canon sry I don't make the rules around here.
Excuse me Cinderella has two hands, Aqua x Cinderella x Terra OT3 4 lyfe

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
You crushed my heart.

Are you serious!? Where was that artwork ever used before because I was jumping in glee that we got to see Riku, Roxas, and (I think) Xion's own, thinking that it was brand new.

What did he say in Ultimania? I mean, I kind of always shipped Aqua and Riku as well.

It's upsetting that they were that lazy. Sora has his own CoM based one as well.

Imagine if Xion's showed up with the characters on hers. Hah.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I mean the relationships are all there, they just don't heavily focus on the development of those relationships for some reason. I guess because they aren't that important to the main plot of the game.

Right now these are the obvious ones imo:
1. Sora + Kairi
2. Aqua + Terra
3. Riku + Namine

Looking ahead into the future:
1. Probably a love triangle with Axel, Saix, and whoever Subject X ends up being.
2. Ava and Gula have a thing going on imo.
3. And then there's Strelitzia who had a thing for the Ux player which never really had a chance to get off the ground. You know Nomura won't leave that alone. I mean he's taking more than what, 3 games just for Sora to say "Thanks, Namine". (Still working on it lol)

TLDR, romance is everywhere in this series, it's just sort of happening in the background.
A love triangle between Axel, Saix, and X girl? Yikes. As if Saix wasn't jealous enough.
Well Riku is bigger then her now lol.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
If not reciprocal romance, then very blatant attraction/pining (Larxene, Olette).

Wait, what?

When? Lol.

I know Larxene was hot for Axel in CoM and then there's the unfortunate course her character took by her motivation to joining the Organization being a man (I don't care in what type of connection, she's the last person who this would ever be applied to). But Olette?

Foxycian

Awards
This is my opinion but I notice I tend to dislike couples when the girl is soft and girly, I love aerith and kairi in kh2 because they have this strong realistic character and not always act weak and soft like a princess, I stopped shipping Sora and kairi after Kh3D, and when I saw how kairi act now I just can’t bring myself to like this cutesy girly girl side of her it’s not the kairi I know and fell in love with, I will probably ship her with Sora again in the future but that’s then and now is now.

Ink Ribbon

Awards
Honestly I don't really see much more romance being implemented outside of a few pairings, but wouldn't be against it if Nomura does more than expected. Though I'd rather see everyone develop on their own merits first than worry about who they want to be romantic with. I don't mind cute, fluffy stuff and have a couple of pairings I like, but romance/shipping has never been my interest with KH. I really enjoy the friendships that have developed through this series and wouldn't mind that being expanded upon more. Guess it's just a wait and see kind of thing.

May-Jor

Awards
Wait, what?

When? Lol.

I know Larxene was hot for Axel in CoM and then there's the unfortunate course her character took by her motivation to joining the Organization being a man (I don't care in what type of connection, she's the last person who this would ever be applied to). But Olette?

Oh, yeah, I should've specified Olette being a different case. It's not that she's pining but she openly has a thing for romance.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is my opinion but I notice I tend to dislike couples when the girl is soft and girly, I love aerith and kairi in kh2 because they have this strong realistic character and not always act weak and soft like a princess, I stopped shipping Sora and kairi after Kh3D, and when I saw how kairi act now I just can’t bring myself to like this cutesy girly girl side of her it’s not the kairi I know and fell in love with, I will probably ship her with Sora again in the future but that’s then and now is now.
You mean Kairi wasn't soft like a princess in KH2 with a girly pink outfit? Likewise what has Aerith done in KH besides be the "girl" of the restoration group, besides Yuffie? I know she glared at Leon that one time. Being soft or a girly girl shouldn't have anything to do with who you ship and why.

Foxycian

Awards
You mean Kairi wasn't soft like a princess in KH2 with a girly pink outfit? Likewise what has Aerith done in KH besides be the "girl" of the restoration group, besides Yuffie? I know she glared at Leon that one time. Being soft or a girly girl shouldn't have anything to do with who you ship and why.
Aerith in ff7 not kh2

Kairi in kh2 didn’t strike me as softie but maybe Alyson voice in kh3 made me think like that I guess? don’t know kh2 kairi doesn’t give me the same impression as kh3 kairi

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Aerith in ff7 not kh2

Kairi in kh2 didn’t strike me as softie but maybe Alyson voice in kh3 made me think like that I guess? don’t know kh2 kairi doesn’t give me the same impression as kh3 kairi
Well no wonder I thought it was KH Aerith. I only associate FF's as Aeris, as that is her true name lol.

As for Kairi, again it shouldn't effect if you ship someone or not but do what you want.
Unpopular opinion but I feel that the OCs have more romantic chemistry with some of the Disney characters. Sora x Rapunzel and Aqua x Cinderella are canon sry I don't make the rules around here.
Now how did I miss this? I can somewhat agree seeing how popular Sora/Rapunzel became. I actually never saw Aqua and Cinderella as anything special...but Terra and Cinderella. These don't qualify as crack pairings do they?

Foxycian

Awards
Well no wonder I thought it was KH Aerith. I only associate FF's as Aeris, as that is her true name lol.
I like both names, Aires sounds nice but I prefer aerith cause it has meaning that fits her, Aerith=earth, but ofc I can call her both names since I don’t care which one is original.

palizinhas

Awards
Terra and Aqua both have better chemistry with Cinderella than they do with each other, and that's that on that.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I would say SoKai definitely isn't well-written. That's more because Nomura doesn't know how to write female characters at all. Sora might as well be in love with a lamp for all the development he gives Kairi. I'm not sure whether to consider this a blessing or a curse. It's a blessing because it means SoKai will never be a huge part of the series because Kairi will never be a huge part of the series. But, on the other hand, perhaps it's a curse because if Kairi was written well, maybe I'd actually like SoKai and wouldn't mind seeing it play out onscreen in spite of my love for SoRiku? The thing is, gay relationships almost never happen in mainstream media, so I almost always have a different ship from the canon one with anything I'm reading, watching, or playing. And I'm often able to enjoy the canon ships in spite of that. KH is one of those exceptions because SoKai just doesn't do anything for me, personally.

I just love romance when it's well-done. I love Zidane and Garnet in FFIX and Yuna and Tidus in FFX, for example. And there are many Disney examples, like Hercules and Meg, Tiana and Naveen, Rapunzel and Flynn, Belle and the Beast, etc. And many others outside of Disney and Square Enix products.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It was from the 15th anniversary stained glass clock exhibit, just tweaked slightly to remove some of the more obvious CoM references. All the platforms we saw in Re Mind are from this collection (Terra's, while not pictured in the exhibit, was used in cafe merchandise).

This is the quote from the Ultimania:

Excuse me Cinderella has two hands, Aqua x Cinderella x Terra OT3 4 lyfe
Can't Namine fall in love with the real Riku? I mean, I kind of see their relationship turning into Riku having a sense of duty to protect Namine for Riku Replica.

I don't mind that he reused the design, I mean now that you showed me the original image it does scream CoM, especially the characters used. But I think it shows a different side to Riku than the obvious Sora/Kairi choices that should have been there. It would be kinda lame for Sora and Riku's own to just have the other plus Kairi/close Disney friend (Donald & Goofy/Mickey). Riku's journey was more heavily influenced by Ansem, Mickey, and Namine than Sora/Kairi. He may care about Sora/Kairi more, but I think it's important that his heart show the people that influenced him the most to change.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Can't Namine fall in love with the real Riku? I mean, I kind of see their relationship turning into Riku having a sense of duty to protect Namine for Riku Replica.

I don't mind that he reused the design, I mean now that you showed me the original image it does scream CoM, especially the characters used. But I think it shows a different side to Riku than the obvious Sora/Kairi choices that should have been there. It would be kinda lame for Sora and Riku's own to just have the other plus Kairi/close Disney friend (Donald & Goofy/Mickey). Riku's journey was more heavily influenced by Ansem, Mickey, and Namine than Sora/Kairi. He may care about Sora/Kairi more, but I think it's important that his heart show the people that influenced him the most to change.

Nope, and I mean this with no malice, but please play ALL the games again.

EDIT: The Japanese version of 3 makes it clear that "strength to protect what matters" is a singular person. That person right there has influenced him the most and nobody else comes close.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Nope, and I mean this with no malice, but please play ALL the games again.

EDIT: The Japanese version of 3 makes it clear that "strength to protect what matters" is a singular person. That person right there has influenced him the most and nobody else comes close.
I have played all the games - many times. Reread what I posted. I was talking about his JOURNEY. During Riku's journey from KH1-3, Sora's barely been around him. Riku didn't give a crap about Sora in KH1 until the end when he realized what was going on, then Riku began his quest for redemption. Yes, he was trying to redeem himself for Sora... but Sora himself wasn't along that road to guide Riku to that redemption (at least not for most of it). The reason why Riku was even able to face Sora in KH2 is because of what he learned from Ansem, Mickey, and Namine (Riku Replica, Roxas, and Xion can be thrown in there as well). So yes, Sora matters the most to Riku, but I don't see the problem with Ansem, Mickey, and Namine being there as they have always had a major influence on guiding Riku into the person (in his mind) worthy of being Sora's friend.

Also, and this is just my personal preference, I kind of like showcasing that character's have connections OUTSIDE of Sora. When I saw Riku's station in KH3, I was automatically expecting Sora, but when I saw Ansem/Mickey/Namine I was reminded how much they actually influenced him and how much story they had outside of Sora. In a game that was focused on everything coming back to Sora, so much so that certain character interactions had to be sacrificed in the name of Sora being present, I think it's refreshing to note that characters actually can do stuff beyond interacting with Sora. Riku being a prime example.

Back