• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

For the next game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kirankrt

Should Disney back off with being so restrictive?

1. Compared to the first KH game and now, it's clear they're not allowing as frequent Disney bosses.

2. They didn't allow the summons to be named by their actual characters unless they looked different.

3. Randall was apparently forbidden to be a boss.

4. Frozen.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think there's a possibility it will happen, but I'm not 100% confident. John Lasseter is no longer at the studio and he was the one who micromanaged things. He even interfered with Once Upon a Time when they used Frozen. KH3 was the first time any of the movies he was a part of were used, so, unsurprisingly, it was the first time Disney acted this restrictive. Hopefully now he's gone, nobody at Disney is going to get all up in Square's business the way they did with 3. Let's hope anyway.

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
Should Disney back off with being so restrictive?

1. Compared to the first KH game and now, it's clear they're not allowing as frequent Disney bosses.

2. They didn't allow the summons to be named by their actual characters unless they looked different.

4. Frozen.
The answer is an obvious "yes."
The thing that's so tragic about Disney's tight restrictions on this series is, I can't understand what the reasoning for it is. I honestly can't imagine what the higher ups at Disney think Nomura would possibly do with their characters that would be so awful to their brand. The only thing I could really imagine doing with these characters that would genuinely hurt their brand would be to make them do or say truly shocking or inappropriate things, which, heck, the gamers themselves are already taking care of that with the Data Greeting feature.
I think that's one of the main reasons Nomura seems to be going in this direction of introducing more Final Fantasy-esque characters and storylines like with Verum Rex. Honestly, I get it. If I had to choose between not incorporating Disney stories in creative ways or dealing with the "teeth-pulling" Disney suits, I think I'd go the same route as him.
Disney needs to learn that their obstructionist behavior is only going to hurt the series, and perhaps even lose them money in the long run. People love Kingdom Hearts, but partly BECAUSE of the creative possibilities and novelties that the admixture of Disney and Final Fantasy was supposed to bring about. The longer Disney butts in and stifles those possibilities, the more the series will go one of two ways—either moving away from Disney altogether and relegating their worlds and characters to background status as Nomura's original characters take more and more center stage, or exhausting their fanbase and causing people to jump ship when the series becomes too much of a Disney movie tour and less of an actual unique story.

I think there's a possibility it will happen, but I'm not 100% confident. John Lasseter is no longer at the studio and he was the one who micromanaged things. He even interfered with Once Upon a Time when they used Frozen. KH3 was the first time any of the movies he was a part of were used, so, unsurprisingly, it was the first time Disney acted this restrictive. Hopefully now he's gone, nobody at Disney is going to get all up in Square's business the way they did with 3. Let's hope anyway.

Really? I'm surprised Lasseter was the one behind it. Has that been the case since KH1, or is it just more recent?
That sucks, because I adore Lasseter as a storyteller. It's such a shame he has to be so micromanaging and authoritarian. You'd think someone like him would have some faith in creative freedom and whatnot. Smh.

Kirankrt

Wait, really? What did he say about frozen in OUAT?

Lillia

Awards
Website
www.deviantart.com
The answer will be mostly "yes".
While the game is advertising our beloved Disney worlds, not only Square Enix profits from this if we think economically. So Disney should give more free zone to developers. It won't create a conflict in the specific Disney worlds' story plot. They can just simply count it as "alternative story".

Since the Frozen II is out and become a succesful film, i think it has a huge potential, as environments, the size of the possible map, enemies, characters and even the story fits the aspects of Kingdom Hearts Universe. To criticise KH3's Frozen world properly, my toughts are that they stricted the story too much that even main characters lost the soul. I wished to see more but it just felt so basicly implemented and that's definetely not the fault of developers. They were stricted by Disney too much. I hope we will see Frozen II in KH4 with much more free vision.

Other things i want to add to this that Square Enix started to work with other animation studios too like Pixar. So i have a really cool new add world to the next title. It is Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas from DreamWorks. If you haven't see it yet you should. It is an amazing animation movie, very well animated to be released in year 2003. The world of Sinbad is huge with an amazing concept which fits to Kingdom Hearts Universe very well.

Let me post some screenshots of Sinbad without major spoilers.

Some environmmental artwork from the original film made by Nathan Fowkes.

Attachments

• f832f784cf856a4f369da083ea27d829.jpg
    f832f784cf856a4f369da083ea27d829.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • sinbad-disneyscreencaps.com-9181.jpg
    sinbad-disneyscreencaps.com-9181.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • sinbad_hall_of_justice_by_nathanfowkesart_db8ajcj-fullview.jpg
    sinbad_hall_of_justice_by_nathanfowkesart_db8ajcj-fullview.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sinbad-legend-of-the-seven-seas-scenery-21.jpg
    sinbad-legend-of-the-seven-seas-scenery-21.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Awards
I thought John Lasseter worked for Pixar, not Disney? I'd love to know more here.

Allegedly, after the successes of the recent Spider-Man and Star Wars games, Disney's now encouraging game developers to continue taking creative freedoms with their ips.

Although, I'm assuming that that pertains to properties owned by subsidiary Disney companies (Marvel, Lucasfilms, Fox, etc.), and not actually main stay Disney properties like those we see in the Kingdom Hearts series. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, because I've always felt that the best Disney worlds and stories in KH were the ones telling spiritual sequels, and not just weak adaptations with insert fanfic characters.

Disney's increasing restrictions on the creative freedoms of KH has sorely stifled the series' storytelling to the degree that it's undeniably one of the main faults for the gradual worsening of the series overall. Back up a bit, and let Nomura and his team actually tie Disney characters and lore into the main story of KH. They should be holding hands, not neighbors that only occasionally say hello to each other.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

4. Frozen.
Randall not being fought as a boss in Monstropolis was due to Pixar's guidelines on that world @Kirankrt , in fact it doesn't surprise me, cause when compared to the Toy Story world, Monstropolis was the world Pixar was VERY Picky and restrictive on according to an interview from Nomura and in the Ultimania.

Lastly, its not just Arendelle in fact most of the New Disney Worlds introduced to Kingdom Hearts III (minus Big Hero 6) also had guidelines from Disney as well, even Pixar also put guidelines to Nomura and Square Enix on the worlds based on their movies (Toy Story and Monster's Inc.), of course not in the same level as the guidelines seen in the Tangled and especially the Frozen world. I say that San Fransokyo, from Big Hero 6 was the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new Disney worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced in KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Also, I feel in my unpopular opinion that Kingdom of Corona was more frustrating than Arendelle.

I already made a lot of complaints on Kingdom of Corona, before which you can view here, here and here, but the long story short is how Sora, Donald and Goofy stood out like a "sore thumb" in the world and literally don't know what has happened especially during the 2nd and last acts of the world. I just don't want Sora & Company involved during the climax of the worlds based on Wreck-It Ralph, Moana and Zootopia but have them be just "there" in the background not knowing what's going on and doing their own conflict (e.g. Fighting a Giant Heartless), while the movies characters just primarily play out like in the movie but don't acknowledged Sora and the gang until after the conflict is solved.

The answer will be mostly "yes".
While the game is advertising our beloved Disney worlds, not only Square Enix profits from this if we think economically. So Disney should give more free zone to developers. It won't create a conflict in the specific Disney worlds' story plot. They can just simply count it as "alternative story".

Since the Frozen II is out and become a succesful film, i think it has a huge potential, as environments, the size of the possible map, enemies, characters and even the story fits the aspects of Kingdom Hearts Universe. To criticise KH3's Frozen world properly, my toughts are that they stricted the story too much that even main characters lost the soul. I wished to see more but it just felt so basicly implemented and that's definetely not the fault of developers. They were stricted by Disney too much. I hope we will see Frozen II in KH4 with much more free vision.
Honestly @Lillia , Kingdom of Corona was more frustrating than Arendelle. I already made a lot of complaints on Kingdom of Corona, before which you can view here, here and here. But frankly I was more frustrated with how Sora, Donald and Goofy stood out like a "sore thumb" in the world and literally don't know what has happened especially during the 2nd and last acts of the world. Just imagine Sora & Company involved during the climax of the worlds based on Wreck-It Ralph, Moana and Zootopia but have them be just "there" in the background not knowing what's going on and doing their own conflict (e.g. Fighting a Giant Heartless), while the movies characters just primarily play out like in the movie but don't acknowledged Sora and the gang until after the conflict is solved.

In fact, most of the New Disney Worlds introduced to Kingdom Hearts III (minus Big Hero 6) also had guidelines from Disney as well, even Pixar also put guidelines to Nomura and Square Enix on the worlds based on their movies (Toy Story and Monster's Inc.), of course not in the same level as the guidelines seen in the Tangled and especially the Frozen world, but it was mostly noticeable In the Monster's Inc. world given how picky and restrictive they were on not allowing Randall to be a boss (more so a mid-boss) in the level and the suggestions they gave to Nomura and his team (the monster designs for Sora, Donald and Goofy, Sora not being in a Monster costume, etc.) when compared to the Toy Story world imao.

San Fransokyo from Big Hero 6 was the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new Disney worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced in KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Wait, really? What did he say about frozen in OUAT?
Well, during that half-season, the Frozen characters' story pretty much happened separate from all the other characters. It was also the first time where everything about the characters' appearance and vibe seemed almost exact to the Disney version of the characters / story (I mean, Cinderella, Snow White and the Queen are only vaguely similar to the Disney characters; Ariel was more similar and came before the Frozen arc, but her story within OUAT was pretty different). Elsa and Anna occasionally interacted with a few of the protagonists, but the majority of their scenes stayed among the Frozen cast-only and they were separated from the main conflict (which was a closer take on the Snow Queen villain as she is in the fairy tales). I personally liked the season just like I enjoyed the Frozen world in KH3, but there's no denying it could've been more organic.

TBH, it was pretty similar when they used Brave--another Lasseter property. Everything had to look exactly like the movie, and half the time they weren't interacting with the protagonists of the show. They weren't as restrictive of non-Lasseter films like Aladdin and Hercules at all. Sort of like how Olympus and the Caribbean seem a little more free than the other Disney worlds in KH and you actually get to fight Disney bosses like the Titans and Davy Jones.

Really? I'm surprised Lasseter was the one behind it. Has that been the case since KH1, or is it just more recent?
That sucks, because I adore Lasseter as a storyteller. It's such a shame he has to be so micromanaging and authoritarian. You'd think someone like him would have some faith in creative freedom and whatnot. Smh.
Lasseter wasn't really in charge of Disney when KH1 and 2 were released. I can't remember the exact time he was officially put in charge of Walt Disney Animation Studios, but it was around the time Disney bought PIXAR. That was somewhere between KH2 in 2006 and KH3 in 2020. And none of the movies he was involved inwere used in KH before 3, so the series probably never drew Lasseter's attention before 3.

I'm just hoping that now he's gone, maybe Disney will retract the claws. I don't expect them to be as free with their properties to the degree they were with KH1, but at least go to how things were a a little more unrestrained in KH2 through 3D.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I hope that Disney lets Nomura have free reign with the characters and worlds in the next games. I need Disney boss fights.

Also, I thought that the restrictions came up because Disney demanded that Square work with the teams that made the films. Unlike older films like Aladdin and Alice in Wonderland, the teams were still around and made "suggestions" to Square -- from what I heard. If Disney continues to be so strict, maybe Nomura should just pick older films that Disney won't care about/the teams are no longer around to intrude on his plans?

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I hope that Disney lets Nomura have free reign with the characters and worlds in the next games. I need Disney boss fights.

Also, I thought that the restrictions came up because Disney demanded that Square work with the teams that made the films. Unlike older films like Aladdin and Alice in Wonderland, the teams were still around and made "suggestions" to Square -- from what I heard. If Disney continues to be so strict, maybe Nomura should just pick older films that Disney won't care about/the teams are no longer around to intrude on his plans?
@Face My Fears In regards to Olympus (Hercules), 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) and The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) I say that they where the ONLY Disney worlds I didn't see ANY restrictions/guidelines put on them by Disney in Kingdom Hearts III, especially the former two. This is given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement with those movies the world is based on from the previous installments (Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth by Sleep, etc.) just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want with these worlds based on those specific Disney films given that they appeared in previous titles, and the same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous KH games that Disney didn't put guidelines or the creators of the films involved such as Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), Pride Lands (The Lion King), Agrabah (Aladdin), among others.

The Caribbean is in the grey area, while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Kingdom of Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints, as the original film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why we had SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma and just only going through rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' Locker to The Maelstrom Battle at the climax of the world.

Lastly, Disney is in a much different right now compared to how they were during the releases of the first KH Game and Kingdom Hearts II as right now they acquired Pixar (which happened around the time KH2 came out) and more recently Marvel, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox which would likely explain the restrictions/guidelines they put on Nomura and his team for some of the new Disney worlds for KH3 (minus Big Hero 6).

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
@Face My Fears In regards to Olympus (Hercules), 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) and The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) I say that they where the ONLY Disney worlds I didn't see ANY restrictions/guidelines put on them by Disney in Kingdom Hearts III, especially the former two. This is given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement with those movies the world is based on from the previous installments (Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth by Sleep, etc.) just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want with these worlds based on those specific Disney films given that they appeared in previous titles, and the same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous KH games that Disney didn't put guidelines or the creators of the films involved such as Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), Pride Lands (The Lion King), Agrabah (Aladdin), among others.

The Caribbean is in the grey area, while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Kingdom of Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints, as the original film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why we had SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma and just only going through rescuing Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones' Locker to The Maelstrom Battle at the climax of the world.

Lastly, Disney is in a much different right now compared to how they were during the releases of the first KH Game and Kingdom Hearts II as right now they acquired Pixar (which happened around the time KH2 came out) and more recently Marvel, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox which would likely explain the restrictions/guidelines they put on Nomura and his team for some of the new Disney worlds for KH3 (minus Big Hero 6).
Well then Nomura should ask to use films with very little restrictions and if he can't get that world, then pick an old one that Disney won't care too much about. It'll be like visiting brand new worlds anyway in the current quality of world design.

Hitman365

Awards
I guess we’ll just have to wait a couple years to see what happens in the next KH game.

Back